Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix for Intergalactic Skeletor (shoulder swap and weight reduction)

Fix for Intergalactic Skeletor (shoulder swap and weight reduction)

Fixing Intergalactic Skeletor was the hardest shoulder swap I have ever done.
    Mattel made 2 places on each shoulder to make sure the factory could not make it correctly.
    1.) The inside shoulder barrel in the chest just like with King Hsss, the barrels are 2 different sizes.
    2.) The part of the shoulder where the biceps connects is also 2 different sizes.
    So I first had to cut off the glued on armor (Why Mattel, WHY???)
    Then split apart the torso
    Sand the barrels that fit inside the chest cavity to fit in their new positions.
    (One barrel needed to be shorter, the other had to be a smaller diameter.)
    Next Retro-fit the Shoulders and biceps to fit the biceps over the different sized shoulder pegs. Man what a pain to do, it took much sanding and reconstructing with blue heat shrink tubing.
    Fifth I sanded down the Latissimus Dorsi (Lats) muscles on both sides of the figure. (I made sure to keep a nice curve on these as I re-sculpted them with my Dremel tool.)
    After all the sanding and retrofitting was done, I put the torso back together, I added some O-rings at the joint where the shoulders met the body to keep these joints tight.
    Next I cut the armor smaller on the sides just over the Lats. I stretched and glued the sides of the armor back together.
    Since the armor fits more snug, a nice side effect was it also sits lower on the figure’s abdominal area, so it doesn’t ride up and show his belly button any more.
    (I am unable to close the belly gap on the unaltered figure, no matter what I try.)
    Anyway so that’s my fix, it took over 4 hours to do.

It looks a lot better.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Looks better, but what a pain to get there...
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

Now that's Impressive. I really like the outcome, but it also reminds me of the fact I'll never be able to replicate what you have done.

Nonetheless great job!
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    A great job on the figure but one that should not have to be done by the customer.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Maybe it depends what exact position the armor was glued down in the factory because mine is actually really good. Nice and tight and doesn't show any belly. I was pleasantly surprised how much better he was in person than in pics.

Oka, now fix that gawdawful face sculpt. That's the thing I hate most about that figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cammor View Post
    Oka, now fix that gawdawful face sculpt. That's the thing I hate most about that figure.
    The idea is to make it into what the four horsemen envisioned. That's also why I didn't repaint any parts him, but I may still do some repainting on him later.
    (But then I'll post it in the customs area.)

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    That was my favorite part of the figure. This is why Classics can't please everyone!!! We are all too different!

He-Bro - great work without compromising the original design.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

He looks great He-bro!

Do you happen to have any pictures of the figure in the process of being worked on?

^ This. I'd love to see step by step photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Minor View Post
    He looks great He-bro!

Do you happen to have any pictures of the figure in the process of being worked on?
    I was planning on taking pictures, but then it takes twice as long, to stop and take pictures.
    I might take pictures on the next one a make, in October.

I did take pictures of the shoulder swap for King Hisss:
    http://he-man.us/Innovations/MOTUC-C...KingHssss.html

and I did for Seahawks Trim down:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Hawk-shirt-fix
    (I did sand more off of Skeletor, I practiced on some Hydron figures I got cheap)

LOL That's the only part I like!
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    I was planning on taking pictures, but then it takes twice as long, to stop and take pictures.
    I might take pictures on the next one a make, in October.

I did take pictures of the shoulder swap for King Hisss:
    http://he-man.us/Innovations/MOTUC-C...KingHssss.html

and I did for Seahawks Trim down:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Hawk-shirt-fix
    (I did sand more off of Skeletor, I practiced on some Hydron figures I got cheap)
    Thanks for the info. I do remember seeing the Sea Hawk changes you made. They all turned out great. Haven't seen the shoulder fix on King Hsss so that was nice to go through.

I'm a big fan of seeing how things are done behind the scenes so I had to ask However, I do understand the extra time it takes to include that into a job. Especially since this one took a good amount of time to do.

He looks amazing as does all of your work. Keep the pictures coming. I look forward to seeing the next project!

I just cut the sides off the armor. I think that was enough to get him looking great.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Please...step away from the crack pipe.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Darn, that is 4 hours from my life I do not want to spend. I hope there is an alternate fix in the near future.

Otherwise, great outcome and thanks for sharing.

Much better than, "AS DESIGN INTENDED" or whatever rubbish Neitlich tried to forcefeed us.
    HAVES: MOSS MAN, ADORA, Mantenna, King Randor
    WANTS: Webstor
    Toyguru Collector Supreme posted December 12, 2013 "Can't understand what you are asking. Sorry."
    Toyguru Marketing Manager Mattel posted March 16, 2014 "Every great project from toys to movie and a TV usually need a fan base to support it and an "internal champion" that keeps it going through the system."

Very cool looking. Well done. Way to accomplish what Mattel couldn't do.

All this stuff is something that fans shouldn't have to do when they're paying around $40 to get one figure. Overpriced a ton, just to get... honestly, what I'd say are defective figures. Every subscriber should be offered an opportunity to get a refund on these figures. As well as any figures that continue to have the "bloated" armor. The messed up shoulders are just 1 thing. But even that shouldn't be acceptable when you consider what they're charging us for these things.

- - - Updated - - -

Just curious, does mattel still try to claim that the packaged figure is how the shoulders were "intended" to be?

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    More than 4 hours... ouch!
    It's a great job but...
    Quote Originally Posted by worldwar_hulk View Post
    All this stuff is something that fans shouldn't have to do when they're paying around $40 to get one figure. Overpriced a ton, just to get... honestly, what I'd say are defective figures. Every subscriber should be offered an opportunity to get a refund on these figures.
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Well done on fixing him...AMAZING custom fix.. Thats gotta be a pain.

Congrats! Im too chicken to try to alter him myself, but I 'd take your tips if I could redo him.

Great work, that "armor" looks a lot better fit now
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Well done, He-Bro.

Though with the effort and skill taken to implement this fix I think that it could be worthwhile someone doing a Youtube 'How to' video as a step by step guide for any other fan at home considering trying to fix their Intergalactic Skeletor at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

I have to take the fact that the shoulder pins are manufactured so they only fit one way as proof they are not reversed.
    I think they look fine and so far as I can tell and as far as Mattel has commented, they are not reversed. I will not be taking the time to make any switch here.

As for the armour, yes I wish that had been like King Hiss. One piece tightly fitted. As for not being able to hide the belly, when I use his abcrunch articulation on mine, when he's standing straight up and the ab crunch is moved just forward a bit it closes the gap. Simple really. I may have slightly shifted the armour on the body so that it sat proper on his frame, but I feel like I just used the ab crunch articulation to close the gap.

However since it was glued together I feel it's very confusing that it had tabs. Clearly ment to be removable.

I'd like to see a side shot of yours to see what you cut away. Again Mine is fine when I utilze the articulation he came with for any belly button gap. but maybe it could be tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I have to take the fact that the shoulder pins are manufactured so they only fit one way as proof they are not reversed.
    That Mattel put him together backwards and then took measures to make sure that design couldn't be reversed during assembly, does not mean the design matched what the 4H designed. It's an anatomical issue. Open a book on anatomy and you will understand that the shoulders are clearly and absolutely reversed.

I understand that you might be able to hide his belly button, if you hunch the figure over - but that seems an extremely limiting way to have to pose a figure.

Still love the headsculpt though!

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I think they look fine and so far as I can tell and as far as Mattel has commented, they are not reversed. I will not be taking the time to make any switch here.

As for the armour, yes I wish that had been like King Hiss. One piece tightly fitted. As for not being able to hide the belly, when I use his abcrunch articulation on mine, when he's standing straight up and the ab crunch is moved just forward a bit it closes the gap. Simple really. I may have slightly shifted the armour on the body so that it sat proper on his frame, but I feel like I just used the ab crunch articulation to close the gap.

However since it was glued together I feel it's very confusing that it had tabs. Clearly ment to be removable.

I'd like to see a side shot of yours to see what you cut away. Again Mine is fine when I utilze the articulation he came with for any belly button gap. but maybe it could be tighter.
    Here's the side shot under the arm:

10514241_10202869628238980_8261030370412046694_o.jpg

Yes, the tabs have been cut off, and the holes for them.