Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Mattel give up on 2016 onwards

Should Mattel give up on 2016 onwards

Since the POP mini sub and now the 2015 main sub struggled to achieve 100%, should Mattel give up on anything post 2015?

Whilst there are plenty of figures each fan would want as part of their collection still, should Mattel just concentrate on making sure the 2015 sub goes through?
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

They might as well show a few prototypes, open the sub... and if/when it doesn't happen, release the partial year.

I hope they don't...

I would like to think that if they simplified the sub model and had just a no-day-of sub only line with just 12 monthly figures then they would have enough interest but maybe that is just me being optimistic. If they retain the minimum sub numbers needed to go ahead I cannot see how 2016 would pass. if they increased the price and had a lower target number needed to progress then I hope we could still get more cool figures after 2015.

Honestly right now though it is 2015 that I am thinking about.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    If 2015 goes through, I hopee that we can a least get a mini sub of sorts or extra packs in 2015 to help us get more 200X or Filmation figures.

I don't see them making a complete 2016 sub (not that it wouldn't be cool). I hope we'll get a few figures in 2016 though...
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

Heroic Warrior
    I'd like to see them go back to what worked so well originally, DOS-only (either 6 or 12 figs offered), even if it means a return of the WSOD. Perhaps it will lure back some of those who've left.

Given the revelation in the Four Horseman's statement that there had been discussions about what 2016 could bring, it would be amazing if a classics scale set of figures could be delivered beyond the 2015 sub. Of course, we need to get the '15 sub up yet.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Hell no! They just need to reduce the number of SKU's to 13 or 7 to make the sub cheaper for people.
    And we need to complete the vintage NA line up
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

I hope we'll still see some figures in 2016.

In my opinion the sub-model has reached it's limits, it was useful to get variety in the line and at this point I think pre-orders are the best way to get things done in the future, even at the risk of paying alot more on some characters.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

I hate threads like this. Keep the figures coming. I need my Clawful.
    Last edited by Frightmare; August 23, 2014 at 07:27am.
    Make Filmation Clawful. Come on, he's like a totally different character!

I think themed mini subs are the answer. In which they show everything thatīs included (maybe one additional surprise or exclusive in the end).

People want to see what they get, i donīt think itīs the system that doesīt work itīs the way itīs handled, if you ask me.

Even with this years line up where we basically know what we will get, still people ask if there is more to be shown. Seeing is believing
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

I would like it to go on indefinitely, I will keep buying them for as long as I can afford to. MOTUC, are awesome and wish all this talk of it ending was not a reality.

No, they can do both at the same time just as they've always done. They just work ahead.

Yes. I think that if 2015 doesn't go through, 2016 shouldn't even be thought about. If the line ends at 2014, I say just end it there and move on.

If 2016 happens, I think Mattel needs to completely rethink their advertising strategy. There are so many simple (free) things Mattel could be doing to increase the likelihood of more media outlets picking up their news/toy updates. I'm talking beyond the usual toy-related sites that report on this stuff.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    I think 2016 should be a rebranded 6 figure Mini-sub with a 7th exclusive figure and an SDCC two pack. That would be an easy sell and ideal to me to keep the line going while giving us a bit of a break from the last few years of overload. I think all the overload...especially in the 4 th quarter. ...has driven a lot of people away. Ive been saying they should scale back for quite awhile.

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    I think they just need to scale it back. Go back to one a month, or just a a mini sub. I would love five figures a month, but with sales dropping, increasing or continuing the line at this pace does not make sense. I would much rather have less than a cancelation of the line. We still need Satma!
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

No, of course not. Just scale it back like everyone's saying, 6-12 figures a year, maybe sub only. As long as I have something to look forward to!
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.facebook.com/lukespicerillustration

I think depending on how well 2015 does, I mean if we blow it out of the water mattel may look at a 2016 line, but honestly I would rather they just test the waters for 2016 dip their toe in so to speak. Pick 8 figures and maybe one beast and leave it at that. Don't overload 2016 since the customer base is dwindeling and 2016 will moste likely see a price increace.

Just put out some figures that didn't make into 2015 like Lord Masque, Crita, Kittrina, Despara ,That new skeletor from last minicomic when he rose frome the grave Etc. Make one beast like maybe Molkrom or Strydor and one SDCC Exlusive.

2016 doesn't have to follow the MOTUC sub model, Start out fresh keep the Buck structutre thats being used. Keep it simple and afordable and it should do fine.
    Looking forward to the entire 2014 & 2015 line

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    No, they can do both at the same time just as they've always done. They just work ahead.
    I agree. There's no reason why they can't continue doing this.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

They should continue to think about 2016. There are too many Filmation, NA, Jetlag, mini-comics, and 200x characters left to do.
    Master Sebrian for MOTUC!

Plus, a rebranding (new name, new package, ect...) usually re-energizes a toy line. It gives people a "jumping on" point they may have missed in 08. 2016 has potential for sure.

2016 needs to be scaled way back. It's really hurting financially with the add-on sub & out of sub extras on top of the main subscription. 6-12 figures with the occasional bigger item would be fine by me.

^ that would be cool. Just don't END it.

It's not that I think the should "give up" on 2016, but I do think they need to put the brakes on and reassess what might be the best way to sell these things moving forward, because their stringent sub or die policy is clearly not working to their advantage these days. I also firmly believe they should cut down on how much they are putting on and put the focus on quality, rather than quantity. For some reason, they seem hellbent on putting out different MOTU lines in various scales and crazy price points, keep putting out figure stands that are incredibly lackluster... you know, just sloooow down a bit, tighten the belt, and start cranking out some really solid, consistent product and they might get people who've been watching from the sidelines really into things again.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    I hope we'll still see some figures in 2016.

In my opinion the sub-model has reached it's limits, it was useful to get variety in the line and at this point I think pre-orders are the best way to get things done in the future, even at the risk of paying alot more on some characters.
    I think you have it nailed on the head. The only way I think Motuc can keep going is if they raise the price and do preorders and only release a figure every quarter maybe? That way, with only receiving 4 figures a year they could charge like $50 per figure, be able to reduce the amount of people ordering and it would still be doable for most fans since were paying on average $30-50 a month with the current sub model anyways.