Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about POP-ularity among MOTUC collectors.

This is from a guy who never saw the toon, didn't have any of the toys except for Bow (and it was given to me by a friend back in the day, saying that it was another version of Prince Adam...) and pretty much only had exposure to She-Ra from The Secret of the Sword:

My claim is that - first and foremost - I am a toy fan. I want to see good things go into this line. I know this line involves everything MotU, so I took a look at all the possible options. PoP is one BIG possible option, so I poured over the archives of the toys pics on the .org to see if any of them struck my fancy. Honestly, as the original figures, I'm not terribly interested. However, I can still see how those toys were interesting and well made; they served thier purpose well. Same kinda goes for the original He-Man line; I loved it as a kid, but I have no desire to really own any of the originals anymore (beyond the ones I still own for comedic purposes).

So, with that in mind: I am looking at PoP for thier potential in the MotUC line, and I am seeing A LOT. The designs will translate well, the faces will all be uniquely sculpted (rather than the originals, which looked pretty much the same) and the potential for new and interesting accessories is pretty awesome as well.

So while I'm not a total fan of PoP, I am a fan of the whole of MotU, and I think many of the old figures will translate well into MotUC figures.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Hmmm. Where to begin.

Growing up, way back in the days when I thought: 'I must be the only gay dude on the planet Earth' (), I found myself being able to relate moreso with the POP females (females in general, really) and the dire situation they were in. While I had a pretty eclectic collection of toys (LOVED my MOTU monsters, robot, etc. too...though my parents would never in a million years buy me an entire wave of figure, let alone the whole collection), the females were always my favorites.

Part of it was envy; it's more socially acceptable for women to display a wider range of emotions and be as colorful as they want, but on the flip side, in some ways they're also treated as 'lesser than' and that's something I could identify with. Of course, the latter part of that is also part of the list of reasons why I loved the monsters and bizarre looking characters. ha!

I dunno. It's hard to explain. I guess I admire strong women who stick to their guns and maybe go against the norm, or simply play a role that's more strongly associated with males.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Same kinda goes for the original He-Man line; I loved it as a kid, but I have no desire to really own any of the originals anymore (beyond the ones I still own for comedic purposes).
    For shame Alexx!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    My claim is that - first and foremost - I am a toy fan.
    "Hey Toy Fan!"

-=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

PoP is the best thing ever! Better than Gina Carano! Better than mma! Better than horror movies! Better than the inferior MOTU! Better than G.I. Joe! Better than sex! Better than amazing food, healthy or not!

I LOVVVVE PoP!
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

PoP is a part of MotU... Filmation was the main reason for my love of teh lien. Couldn't have the figures as a kid. Luckily my cousin DID have PoP figures and I had MotU figs...
    Now that MotU and PoP are together in one line and one cohesive, I can get the toys I couldn't get as a kid and they look so friggin cool together!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I don't think that POP fans are all that small in number... I mean, there are more of us than NA fans.

Plus, at this point, and as someone who loves all the MOTU lines, it surprises me that people can't seem to connect to this part of the mythos still...

I just feel like they lose out I was hoping MOTUC would change that.
    For me, it isn't necessarily a refusal to connect it to He-Man. Rather, since I had no particular attachment to POP as a kid, and could see Hordak and his bunch operating just fine without any attachments to the 'toon (I got most of my MOTU fix from the STAR/DC and mini-comics, in addition to not being able to afford many toys, we didn't have cable either!), I just don't have any need or want for most of them.

She-Ra was an easy buy, bc she's He-Man's sister and after seeing the improvements that they made to Bow, I gave him a chance and liked the figure quite a lot.

I'm going to take the POP releases on a case-by-case basis. Catra looks pretty good, plus...she's Horde! I guess I'll just have to see what the rest look like as they come out.
    Last edited by Larry Waters; May 3, 2011 at 05:34pm.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

My love for POP totally sprang from Filmation. I had no knowledge of the MOTU toyline my only reference was Filmation MOTU and I loved it, whenever the cartoon came on I would get butterfly's in my tummy. Then one afternoon after He-man had finished by chance I was on the same chanel when this beautuful blonde girl came on the screen and claimed to be He-Man's twin sister, then she pulled out an identical sword and then She-Ra appeared in ball of mystical light. I was totaly hooked and before long She-Ra's show eclipsed MOTU for me. But the best moments were when He-Man and She-Ra were together, fighting side by side. thats what I have the most nostalga for. When they were together it felt like an epic and massive story. I truly believed He-Man, She-Ra and co were the Masters of the Universe.

In the UK both properties were often sold to kids as one massive super brand. I loved both cartoons just the same, but for some reason the She-Ra cartoon appealed to me a bit more. As an adult I realise now that was because it was technically the better show, better animation, better story writing etc. After finding out about the cartoons I discovered the MOTU toyline and got all the main players. But the lack of She-Ra. Adora, shadow weaver, Catra, Bow, Kowl, Glimmer & imp was a constant issue to me and my poor mum who I would always ask to help me search for them when I was looking through the MOTU toy isle in the supermarket I never twigged they would be in the girls isle, they were all a part of the same story to me.

When Mum eventualy worked out that those characters were in the girls toyline, She bought me She-Ra and Catra as a supprise. When she gave them to me I can remember how disapointed I was that they didn't look like the cartoon versions and that they had doll hair, but I got over it in 0.10 seconds. It was She-Ra and Catra and they joined Teela and Evil-Lyn in Battle immedieatly, but with their hair platted up tight so it didn't get in the way.

I would never play with my she-ra or catra in front of other kids, but in my room they were as used as my other figures. (Now when anyone comments on my MOTUC shelf She-Ra and Adora are the first figures I direct them to look at). I did eventualy get a true MOTU She-Ra when I was a kid. My cousin's She-Ra toothbrush holder broke and that had a fullsized filmation similar, semi articulated She-Ra figure on it, before she threw the tooth brush holder away Jessica saved the she-ra figure for me.

That She-Ra was proudly carried in my Castle Grayskull playset to school on the last day of term. I can remember quite a few of my friends asking if they could have her for their collections. which was always met with a very harsh "NO"! LOL Those boys wanted She-Ra, but She-ra without rooted hair and the other doll attributes.

So why do I LOVE She-Ra and POP? There are so many answers that it would take to long to write, but I think the most important is my frist introduction to these characters was Filmation's take on them. There was no rooted hair or soft pink clothes or shiney magical gems to put me off. That stuff came later and it broke my heart when it did, but I soon got over it and learned to loved the figures for the characters that they were. I was more concerned with the bigger story they were a part of. Now as a seasoned POP fan I LOVE the vintage toy designs, almost as much as the Filmation designs and in some cases the vintage toy designs were better, Entrapta was an amazing POP figure, I can remember being so disapointed when I saw her on the cartoon.

For me these women were strong powerful female fighters who took on the mighty Hordak and were fighting to free their world, often with the help of He-Man and co, they also hapened to be hot as well. Too many boys were hung up on the look of the figures, but the characters behind them were strong, hence why so many boys did watch the she-ra cartoon, even thought you would never admit it to each other So few toylines can and have crossed the toy isle like POP did, and whatever you think of POP I really think that is something that deserves respect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Angel-T; May 3, 2011 at 05:55pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

I like threads like this.

The main appeal to me is also nostalgia. I was born a little after the He-Man boom and they also continued to show She-Ra into the 90s in the UK, so I got hooked that way. I did have the figures - and would get angry when people called them 'dolls'! - but never understood why they didn't look like they did on the cartoon. It's forever debated as to which came first (the toys being the logical choice, but it's since emerged that original designs were different and Filmation played a major part in not only these designs, but the conceptual ideas behind Hordak and the Horde) - and maybe we'll never know.

For me, MOTUC has the chance to become the ultimate MOTU line. The fact that we've had the first Adora figure and cartoon-accurate versions of She-Ra and Catra makes me so happy. Seeing the likes of Castaspella, Glimmer and Angella in their cartoon outfits will seal the deal - and of course having the chance to buy Scorpia, Octavia and Madame Razz would be a dream come true. But we've got to get through Shadow Weaver first.

I've been changed though. Because when I saw Adora, that was all I was going to buy (well, I had been given Beast Man as a present as well). Then I saw He-Ro and couldn't resist his 'rare' factor. Now, He-Ro's one of my least-favourite figures and I have virtually all of the MOTUC line. Typical.

I love them dearly and I'm so glad I chose to collect them again after having to sell my vintage collection which broke my heart.

Big Country - Part of the reason people don't like 'POP' in MOTUC is because of the vintage dolls being too 'girly'. Now, even though those released in MOTUC so far haven't resembled their toy counterparts in the slightest, they still have that connection. If they didn't have the 'Princess of Power' label, maybe they'd be more inclined to become interested... I implore you to get hold of some She-Ra episodes and note the very obvious differences. Yes, they use the same names, but the characters are very different. I'd recommend the following:

The Price of Freedom
    A Loss for Words
    Book Burning
    Into the Dark Dimension
    Huntara
    Anchors Aloft Parts I and II
    One To Count On
    Sweet Bee's Home

Watch them for the dramatic, mature and observational (sometimes political) storytelling - try and accept the cutesy bits and pieces that were scattered around. Not everyone's going to like the bratty kids or Twiggets and that's a given, but give the series a good chance with an open-mind. You've proven you've got one by starting this thread.

I'd love to see a NA thread. It didn't ruin He-Man for me, but it did challenge me. I only began to appreciate it when I'd grown up because it actually has its fair share of decent episodes. I'll wait for the thread before I go on.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

I loved the POP cartoon when I was young. I wanted to live in Whispering Woods (still do!), I used to pretend Adora/She-Ra was my big sister. I loved the characters of She-Ra more. I felt the show was more interesting than He-Man. Even today, I can watch an episode of She-Ra a week and be completely enthralled. I can barely watch He-Man's series, except for a few continuity-driven episodes. The POP characters were more compelling to me, and the morals really stayed with me. I loved the colors of the POP world.

My sister had some POP toys, but I wasn't allowed to play with them, so we had down-low play sessions together with them.

I loved the 200x He-Man and collected that line. I was going to buy the King Grayskull to display with my 200x figures. When the possibility of Adora and She-Ra characters was brought up by Mattel, I was in the line for the long haul. She-Ra and POP is one of my most favorite franchises. They're my main focus in this line. I relate visually and emotionally more to the characters than I do to the He-Man characters.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    PoP is the best thing ever! Better than Gina Carano! Better than mma! Better than horror movies! Better than the inferior MOTU! Better than G.I. Joe! Better than sex! Better than amazing food, healthy or not!

I LOVVVVE PoP!

I'm a guy and I've always loved the She-ra cartoon, when I was little I liked her transformation better than He-man's. Even to this day she is my favorite heroine (but I don't like her better than He-man).

I didn't know of the pop line of dolls when I was young, and I don't think I would have been interested, because everything looks different, when I found out about it I was very disappointed, and now I just simply hate it... that's not enough, I mega-loathe it. What isn't pink they made in pink and what already was pink (Kowl) they changed to beige, why Mattel felt they had to change everything is beyond me.

Right now... I just think it causes trouble in MOTUC, I'd be fine if the figures got their own toy versions releases (like a silver Catra with black furry loin cloth), but that's not the case, and in my opinion all of MOTUC Catra's accessories (except her red mask) suck, so to me, she comes with nothing but her red mask.

Not only that but I would have preferred that the red mask had been sculpted and molded directly on Catra's head, it would have been more to scale, ideally she would have come with a second head with her mask down all the way. Instead the red mask we are getting can't be placed over her nose, unlike the less popular silver mask.

Then there is She-ra 2.0… who won’t even come with the head that most people want, I’ll pass on this one and just make a cut on my She-ra’s skirt so she can sit on her ride.

Can't say I never contributed . . .
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Did I watch the cartoon as a kid? Every now and then but only because I wanted to see the Horde in cartoon form and see more of He-Man and Skeletor.

Did I accept that POP was part of the MOTU mythos as a kid? Yes, very much so and I had no problem with that. Though I wanted to see the guys more than the girls.

Did I have any POP toys as a kid? No. Never even asked for them mainly because they were aimed at girls and I couldn't bring myself to ask for girls toys.

Though as I grew up, I did want to learn more about POP and ended up getting a few incomplete items for cheap on the secondary market and used the internet to find out more about the cartoon once more from which I could barely remember anything after SOTS.

As for POP in MOTUC, I'm very happy that they've been included in the line. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on those figures a whole lot more than some figures that are going to see their 3rd releases. Though POP has always been part of the MOTU mythos, being able to get them in the same format as MOTU figures feels like they are something new to collect and I like that a lot.

I do want to collect something new instead of the same old, same old for the 3rd or 4th time. That's why I've been enjoying getting the rare/prototype/concept figures in this line, it's something new to enjoy!

Because of the cartoon, Peekablue and Mermista are two of my most anticipated POP gals to be released, while Spinnerella is the one gal I want the most simply because I've always enjoyed her design. Plus Hiss is going to need someone to dance for him after his latest conquest.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    For me, it isn't necessarily a refusal to connect it to He-Man. Rather, since I had no particular attachment to POP as a kid, and could see Hordak and his bunch operating just fine without any attachments to the 'toon (I got most of my MOTU fix from the STAR/DC and mini-comics, in addition to not being able to afford many toys, we didn't have cable either!), I just don't have any need or want for most of them.

She-Ra was an easy buy, bc she's He-Man's sister and after seeing the improvements that they made to Bow, I gave him a chance and liked the figure quite a lot.

I'm going to take the POP releases on a case-by-case basis. Catra looks pretty good, plus...she's Horde! I guess I'll just have to see what the rest look like as they come out.

I LOVED the Star comics.... they were so cool (campy as all get out, but cool) and they came out when MOTU was at its zenith of popularity.

I suggest, if you haven't already, checking out the art-work of the wave one mini-comics. The writing is more for girls, but less so than waves 2 and 3... but the artwork is more comic-book, and it reminds me of the mini-comics from MOTU like "Tale of Teela" or "The Ordeal of MEF."

That stuff might help enrich these characters for you.

Someone like Perfuma may be a tough sell... my hope is that the MOTUC bios add a bit of an edge to characters like Perfuma. Give her an heroic Poison Ivy vibe... but she's crazy too... She's all smiles and flowers, and you're lured in, then SNAP, a vine under her control snaps your neck.

I think the deadlier they can make the more girly characters, the more popular they will be.

Frosta, for example, was pretty brazen in the POP cartoon. MOTUC can take that a step further... she can be psycho Fatal Attraction for He-Man... she's heroic, but when it comes to love she's nuts.

I don't know. ANYTHING that makes the characters more complex will help those, who don't have any nostalgia for them, to relate.

The true test will be whichever POP figure is coming at the end of the year.

I hope they make her amazing!
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Someone like Perfuma may be a tough sell... my hope is that the MOTUC bios add a bit of an edge to characters like Perfuma. Give her an heroic Poison Ivy vibe... but she's crazy too... She's all smiles and flowers, and you're lured in, then SNAP, a vine under her control snaps your neck.

I think the deadlier they can make the more girly characters, the more popular they will be.

Frosta, for example, was pretty brazen in the POP cartoon. MOTUC can take that a step further... she can be psycho Fatal Attraction for He-Man... she's heroic, but when it comes to love she's nuts.
    I...don't know how I feel about this.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Yeah, I think making the figures cool will be good enough.
    So far it's working... Bow, Adora, She-Ra, and Catra are all crossing over and fitting in just fine.

I'm not sure making them more "Xtreme" will help anything.
    And even if it would, I'm certainly not confident the bios could pull it off well enough.
    Bill :: guitargod694

For shame Alexx!
    Yeah, I know! Blasphemy for most, but new style toys is where it's at for me. The older figures were awesome and did great for the time they existed, but they do little for me now other than harbor nostalgia. I look at the PoP figures in the same way: I actually may have been interested in them when I was younger (mostly because I needed female characters and barely any male toy line made females...I seriously imagined my females. They were freakin' invisible) but nowadays I want to see what they can look like in MotUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Hey, there's a big difference between "toy fan" and "Toy Fan." I'm a fan of toys, whereas Matty's smirk mixed with "Hey Toy Fan" is clearly exuding undertones of "Hey SUCKER".
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I didn't have (nor cared for) Princess of Power when I was little since it was all pink and didn't feature any monsters or barbarians (besides Hordak and the Horde but they were part of MOTU as well). I did have a set of PoP Viewmaster slides and my mother bought me a She-Ra T-shirt once, which I didn't want to wear because I found it too girly.

In my opinion the 4 Horsemen did a marvellous job on the POP characters that have been released so far and I find them quite appealing. I'm even looking forward to see Swiftwind and Kowl. On the other hand I have absolutely no love for Madame Razz, Lookee or Clawdeen, but I'd still prefer anything PoP-related over New Adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    Yeah, I think making the figures cool will be good enough.
    So far it's working... Bow, Adora, She-Ra, and Catra are all crossing over and fitting in just fine.

I'm not sure making them more "Xtreme" will help anything.
    And even if it would, I'm certainly not confident the bios could pull it off well enough.

I didn't make my point well.

I meant that if they release Perfuma, and all her bio says is stuff like:

She lives in Whispering Woods, near the Crystal Falls, and she dances around and makes flowers grow. She's a "scent-sational flower maiden" (her original tagline), and she's beautiful and smells nice.

Then a lot of the guys here will have nothing to relate to... I mean, I don't even relate to that.

If Perfuma's bio is something like this:

When the Crystal Falls were formed, at the edge of the Whispering Woods, Perfuma, an elemental sprite with a penchant for singing, grew out of the soil, and made the glen, surrounding the Falls, her home. When the Horde invaded Etheria, Perfuma began to hone her skills as an elemental sorceress, and joined the Rebellion. Like Eternia's Moss Man, she can command the flora of Etheria to do her bidding, and the Rebellion is reliant on her skill when food supplies are low. She is a crafty chemist and uses her powers to thwart the environmentally destructive forces of the Horde's factories and machinery.

Something like that...

Another example, Tallstar reminded us of (that was my idea, Tally, that Spinnerella could come with some blaes). Spinnerella could certainly come with some sort of blade weapons... she'd be deadly.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

She lives in Whispering Woods, near the Crystal Falls, and she dances around and makes flowers grow. She's a "scent-sational flower maiden" (her original tagline), and she's beautiful and smells nice.

Then a lot of the guys here will have nothing to relate to... I mean, I don't even relate to that.

When the Crystal Falls were formed, at the edge of the Whispering Woods, Perfuma, an elemental sprite with a penchant for singing, grew out of the soil, and made the glen, surrounding the Falls, her home. When the Horde invaded Etheria, Perfuma began to hone her skills as an elemental sorceress, and joined the Rebellion. Like Eternia's Moss Man, she can command the flora of Etheria to do her bidding, and the Rebellion is reliant on her skill when food supplies are low. She is a crafty chemist and uses her powers to thwart the environmentally destructive forces of the Horde's factories and machinery.

Something like that...

Another example, Tallstar reminded us of (that was my idea, Tally, that Spinnerella could come with some blaes). Spinnerella could certainly come with some sort of blade weapons... she'd be deadly.
    Yeah, I took your meaning.
    I was just being a little snarky with the "Xtreme" comment.

Certainly skewing the information away from fashion and flowers is the way to go.
    I imagine it'll mostly be about the Horde invasion and each girl's contribution to the rebellion.
    Or you know, something about New Adventures and killing off some other character.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Something like that...

That example bio is okay. I just thought you wanted Mattel to make all the characters "dark and edgy" to appease the MOTU fanboys so it made it okay for them to like PoP. I don't want that to happen. The PoP designs and characters are bright to inspire hope in a world filled with death, slavery and constant struggles. If everyone becomes dark and edgy, PoP would be a VERY depressing franchise.

Plus, as we've seen with Adora, She-Ra, Catra and Bow: no matter what a bio says (or how the figure looks), if a person doesn't like PoP...they still won't (for the most part, there have been exceptions). So, I would prefer Mattel to stay faithful to the source material to make the true fans happy instead. Bios that are faithful to who they are, but are less "kiddy" written, would probably be the best solution though.

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    I'm a hardcore completist. I have to get it if it has the Masters logo on it. the pop figures are growing on me tho. Its like a bonus to have more figures stylized in the classics format from lines that didn't share the same style before... NA, pop, 200x, and vintage all under one roof. I love it.

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    I've no idea where to begin this, so I'll just dive in head first.

I'm pretty much coming into this from where Count Marzo is, I was (and still am) a 1980's cartoon junkie; I couldn't get enough. I watched everything my horrible local stations would carry, plenty of cartoons a lot of people barely remember and lots of shows that just about everyone who grew up then have a personal history with. We never had great reception where we lived, just whatever we could get to show up with our antenna; some days the picture was clear enough, others you could barely tell what was going on, and a few of those... well, it would be just like radio, honestly.

I liked a lot of those cartoons, but I rarely loved one as much as I did She-Ra. Not that He-Man himself wasn't as beloved, but there was something special about his sister. It didn't register with me at the time, being so young, but there has always been something very appealing to me about self-sufficient women. It might have something to do with the fact that my brother and I were mostly raised by my mother and grandmother; my dad was almost constantly working. We also had a lot of aunts, moreso than uncles, since my mother has a lot of sisters.

Some of my favorite characters in media over the years have followed along the same lines, but She-Ra was probably my first example into this point of view. She showed kindness, forgiveness, strength, friendship, nuturing, courage, intelligence and skill. He-Man was somewhat similar but didn't really reach out to me the way his sister had. I am 100% sure it was due to Melendy Britt's vocal performance.

It was already mentioned but yes, in my opinion, while He-Man's episodes were in a decline in quality nearing the end, She-Ra started out great and only got better from the beginning.

As for the toys, I never knew there were any toys from the show! At least, not until EBay popped up and I stumbled upon he-man.org a long time ago; long before I registered on the boards, lol. My initial reaction was probably more along the likes of the POP-naysayers: dolls? Really?? Then again, like mentioned, I had no idea they even existed. It's not like I never had anything resembling them at all, I had Filmation's Ghostbusters' Jessica and Futura; they also had rooted hair! I should ask my mom if I ever asked for She-Ra toys back then, because I never really set foot in the girls' toys section as far as I can recall.

POP and the Horde are the main draw for me in MOTUC, but not the only draw, they are merely what I look forward to the most out of the line.
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    You should do a New Adventures version of this thread.
    Just dont do a 200x thread....lol yes im an all things vintage kind of guy