Thread: more 2 in 1 characters after marlena/cpt glenn?

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar

more 2 in 1 characters after marlena/cpt glenn?

after having seen how 4h managed the shifting from cpt glenn to queen marlena, i was thinking that the same "trick" could be used on other version of characters that maybe we hardly will see in motuc, for instance

teela-na/sorceress or

delora (minicomics)/hawke

and i was curios to know whether other orgers would appreciate this option to be repeated of or not, and so keep it as an unique case.

what do you think about it?

Technically it already happened once with Trap Jaw and Kronis.

But yes, where it makes sense and works well, I'd love to see it continue.
    Bill :: guitargod694

The new removeable armor for the ladies is going to open up the door to many 2-in-1 options, I would think.

I think it's fairly obvious that we are getting two sets of armor for She-Ra 2.0 (one Style Guide version and one vintage toy version... both of which will allow her to sit on her horse).

200X Evil-Lyn could benefit... we could get her adult 200X costume, as well as her "Young Lyn" costume.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I'm not thrilled at all about the way the packaging is being handled for SDCC Marlena and Matty Marlena. I would much rather have the dress version, but I am not going to SDCC. I understand why they are doing this the way they are, but I don't have to like it!

That being said, the way they worked Kronis in with Trapjaw was really cool! As a MOC collector, I guess I would just prefer that way of handling the 2 in 1characters if we get more.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    Technically it already happened once with Trap Jaw and Kronis.
    you're totally right.
    ...i must admit i was only thinking about the ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    The new removeable armor for the ladies is going to open up the door to many 2-in-1 options, I would think.

I think it's fairly obvious that we are getting two sets of armor for She-Ra 2.0 (one Style Guide version and one vintage toy version... both of which will allow her to sit on her horse).

200X Evil-Lyn could benefit... we could get her adult 200X costume, as well as her "Young Lyn" costume.
    good points.
    maybe double trouble too, could have rebel/horde different outfits.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    teela-na/sorceress or

delora (minicomics)/hawke
    Have you... actually compared these looks? Seriously, go take a look - it'd be like trying to do a "two in one" He-Man/Man-at-Arms figure.

Hmmm...

There are five major points of difference between those looks. Unfortunately, the biggest three aren't on the "dresses" (which are near-identical from the lower-chest down) - to do the "sleeves" vs. spiky arm-guards, the thigh-high boots vs. calf+kneepad boots and the heads (and adult-Lyn by herself has obvious cause for two heads, at that) would require everything but the dress to be swapped.

I could see them hybridising to some extent - the boots in particular may be the "Young-Lyn" version, since the "kneepad" boot style (shared with 200X-Teela) is officially hyperanimedetailretired, but I don't think a true "two in one" figure is doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    \I could see them hybridising to some extent - the boots in particular may be the "Young-Lyn" version, since the "kneepad" boot style (shared with 200X-Teela) is officially hyperanimedetailretired, but I don't think a true "two in one" figure is doable.
    Yeah, I am assuming they will do a lot of hybridizing.

Those Young Lyn boots can be re-used for Castaspella and Entrapta... and maybe Hawk too... that might look cool.

They could make the cape on Young Lyn part of the outfit... and just have loops in the ends of the plastic for her wrists... that would have to be soft plastic like the DCUC Mantis.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Have you... actually compared these looks? Seriously, go take a look - it'd be like trying to do a "two in one" He-Man/Man-at-Arms figure.
    yes, i know.

they would differ from their "iconic" representations more or less as cpt glenn green space outfit from white filmation one...that's why i asked!

Those Young Lyn boots can be re-used for Castaspella and Entrapta... and maybe Hawk too... that might look cool.
    Entrapta, certainly - reason enough to go for the Young-Lyn boots by itself, since the alternative would be to hoik out the Teela boots again, I suppose - but after She-Ra, Catra, the Frosta in the MotUPP set and the Glimmer on the box of that set, they're clearly going for the cartoon versions of the PoP girls, at least first out the gate. And *sigh* "styleguide" Casta has calf-height boots, not thigh-high.

As for Hawke... my basic assumption has been that they'll do a mostly-MYP-based version, but with the design altered to have the same type of feet & wings as MotUC Stratos. The only Hawke look that had thigh-high boots was the Filmation "evil engineer" version (a tweaked reuse of Filmation's character model of Delora, with short red hair rather than long blonde hair), while MYP Hawke had the same sort of barefoot/shinguards/kneepads combination as Veena, close to the "retired" kneepad/boot look.

They could make the cape on Young Lyn part of the outfit... and just have loops in the ends of the plastic for her wrists... that would have to be soft plastic like the DCUC Mantis.
    I can't see them joining her trail to her wrists (even optionally) unless they feel they have no choice - we might see it with the Sorceress' cape, but I very much doubt they'll do it with a MYP-Lyn unless it was specifically & solely based on the "Price of Deceit" flashback version.

yes, i know.

they would differ from their "iconic" representations more or less as cpt glenn green space outfit from white filmation one...that's why i asked!
    I don't think you can call anything from the minicomics "iconic" - and if Lodar (a minicomic-original character) is, as bcr has suggested, the 2012 sub-exclusive, then Mattel will have clearly taken the view that only the hardest of the hardcore fans really want minicomic characters & looks (a point I don't think is far off, but still).

I don't think you can call anything from the minicomics "iconic"
    well, i don't know...take garn, for instance: i suppose someone thinks "filmation" version is "iconic", but someone else takes "slave city" version as "iconic"...don't know actually, just a mere speculation.

btw, regarding marlena/cpt glenn, was thinking that she's a kinda multipurposes figure for customizers:
    her long dress could be used to customize shadow weaver (maybe using skelly bonnet or pd he-man hood);
    her space suit, instead, could be used for lt. andra

well, i don't know...take garn, for instance: i suppose someone thinks "filmation" version is "iconic", but someone else takes "slave city" version as "iconic"...don't know actually, just a mere speculation.
    Garn's not "iconic" in either form. What you're talking about is preference - for something to be "iconic", it has to get beyond fans and get into pop culture as a whole.

btw, regarding marlena/cpt glenn, was thinking that she's a kinda multipurposes figure for customizers
    "Can be customised into..." is hardly the sort of "two in one" figure you started out talking about.

Garn's not "iconic" in either form. What you're talking about is preference - for something to be "iconic", it has to get beyond fans and get into pop culture as a whole.
    ok, i see your point.
    i used inverted commas trying to make it explicit that i wasn't using the word iconic in its literal meaning, but, you know, sometimes it happens that writing in another language something gets... "lost in translation"!

"Can be customised into..." is hardly the sort of "two in one" figure you started out talking about.
    i'm aware of it, it was just something that came out talking 'bout the figure with some friends in another discussion, so i thought to post it here also.

i used inverted commas trying to make it explicit that i wasn't using the word iconic in its literal meaning, but, you know, sometimes it happens that writing in another language something gets... "lost in translation"!
    Maybe if you hadn't ALSO put "Filmation" in inverted commas with a lower-case "f", it would have read more like you intended

I guess if Snout Spout came with a second 'before transformation' head he would double up as 2 different characters like Trap Jaw/Kronis (Snout Spout and Eternian Firefighter figure)

Generic snake warrior figures are likely to come with several mix-&-match looks I suspect.

Also, if we ever get the king of Whiplash's people from MYP, a 2nd head and possibly some removable armor could create a generic warrior to make a King/guard 2 pak.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    I guess if Snout Spout came with a second 'before transformation' head he would double up as 2 different characters like Trap Jaw/Kronis (Snout Spout and Eternian Firefighter figure).
    right, that's definitely possible.
    not sure fans are waiting for firefighters army builder, but a snout spout/eternian (or etherian??) firefighter could be very appreciated.

maybe the same shifting could be used for extendar and dragstor, even though mattel won't be allowed to use doodon and theydon as real names.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Generic snake warrior figures are likely to come with several mix-&-match looks I suspect.

Also, if we ever get the king of Whiplash's people from MYP, a 2nd head and possibly some removable armor could create a generic warrior to make a King/guard 2 pak.
    both good points.