Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In defense of Dare and other loose ends

Heroic Warrior

In defense of Dare and other loose ends

Hey!

Okay. So I’ve been “relatively” quite the last few months, and I can confess that has been deliberate. I didn’t want to speak up, especially during the sub sell in period as to not throw off any efforts from the new team or skew any potential sales for them. I really do wish the new team all the best in the world for long and fulfilling collector line!

Now that 2016 sub sales have closed, I had a few “closing thoughts” on the brand I wanted to share, mostly jut to clear the air and ensure the new team is set up for success to continue brining you amazing MOTU collector figures for years if not decades to come. So what follows may be a little rambling, but I wanted to close off some loose ends that have been dangling since my resignation to help clear the air and ensure the new team is in no way to “blame” for things I have set up *(and vica versa if you will). So without further adieu, some closing thoughts on MOTUC as I headed into the sunset.

Dare

Okay. Let me clear the air on this guy and how/why he wound up in the line. So wayyyyyyyyy back in 2013 when the 2015 line was planned Dare was not in the line. As prices crept up and character selection dwindled it became clear we needed to refocus the line to ensure the “vintage line and A list characters” were complete before the price point hit $30.00 or more.

So.

The line was planned out and indeed Dare was not in it. Hence the statement I made only once on the He-Man.org boards stating directly that Dare would not be in the 2015 line. (this is the same quote where I misspelled Crimson Rose, using a code name fro Ever After High that was stuck in my head!). This is a PERFECT example of how I have always said “things change all the time!” and this is a textbook example.

Back in 2013 when this statement was made, Dare was not in the line. The December figure was 200X Evil Seed. The revised plan for 2014-2015 that was drafted in 2013 was to complete:

A: All vintage MOTUC characters including variants (which brings up the additional point that if fans did not want Buzz Saw Hordak, due to him being too similar in “look” - back in 2013 was the time to speak up and ask for him to NOT be on the roadmap. Asking in 2014 or even 2015 for him to be removed from the promised complete roadmap was too late.

B: All original POP figures from the vintage line. We knew that if we tackled variants for POP as well, it would be too many slots to offer in 2014 and 2015 because we also wanted to include in the wrap up road map-

C: A list characters from other media. This included Filmation. 200X, comics, books, and (dah dah dah...) concept eras like SOHM.

So with that criteria set up, adding characters like Lizard Man and Evil Seed (200X) made perfect sense to include in the revised roadmap. BUT….as I noted above, things CHANGE all the time in the toy industry. When the POP add on sub in 2014 sold very well, we got the last min greenlight to add a 200X mini sub in 2015.

Evil Seed was then moved from the Dec 2015 slot to a leading slot in the add on 200X sub. As arguably the most demanded of all 200X characters, it was felt very strongly across the team that he should be included in the 200X sub to help sell it in (this was before the new upper management came in and clearly changed things where now full year’s roll out are being shown, which BTW I am very jealous I never had this tactic available to me. It is definitely ironic that new upper management came in a week before I resigned, so I never had the opportunity to work within there new rules, a situation the new team is blessed to be currently in!)

Okay, I’m off topic. Back to Dec 2015.

So with Evil Seed 200X moving from Dec 2015 slot to a lead spot in the 200X sub *(to help sell that sub when we were working under the direction of the then “current” older management that did not allow figures that had not been approved to be shown to the public) it left the Dec mainline sub slot open. So when I made that statement in 2013 about Dare not being in the mainline, it was true. He was not in it at the time. But things changed…

We reviewed quite a few candidates for the Dec slot including Masque, Miro, Mara, Critia and others. In the end, upper management felt very strongly that Masque and Darius should NOT be in this slot. They both lost a fan vote, fans had the chance to vote them into the line and did not. Therefore the “losers” of the fan polls were immediately taken off the table by upper management for the Dec slot. They asked for a few options and one of those we presented was Dare, son of He-Man.

There are multiple reasons Dare rose to the top as the replacement candidate once 200X Evil Seed moved to the add on sub. At the time, it was thought Dec 2015 would be the end of the Classic line in name. Having the line start with He-Man and end with his son felt very bookmarky. Additionally, we wanted to use 2014-2015 (as noted above) to wrap up the vintage line and A-list characters from other media. Since we had already done a few characters from the “Son of He-Man” era (King He-Man, Laser-Lot, Unnamed One etc…) this era was firmly established. Therefore, it made a ton of sense to do the “A list” characters from “son of He-Man” era, namely the actual son, Dare AKA He-Ro II.

And if we were going to release him, personally I wanted to make sure he delivered value since the visuals we had access to noted his design was an early visual that eventually became “New Adventures He-Man”. This was why in the toy release (and in the upcoming mini comics issue 7 and 8) Dare is shown in his Filmation vest as well. I had hoped his belt for the filmation armor could have been included as well, letting fans use the Vykron buck mixed with Dare parts to create the Filmation version as a toy. Maybe that belt can be released one day. But either way, this “Dare” release was designed ideally to include all the “parts” you might need to create either Dare figure (in addition to using the Vikron buck from SDCC a few years back.

Okay, so I hope that clears up a big one. Personally I am really glad we got to Dare. He was always a “bridge too far” and the fact that we have completed the vintage lines made him very acceptable to tackle. Not to mention the 2016 line essentially contains all the figures we “wish” we could have put into 2014-2015 had we not been under the obligation to complete the vintage line before 2015 ended.

So where do we sit now? Well, much like Frodo at the end of the good Middle Earth films, I finished what I set out to do. The vintage line is done! (or at least will be by Dec, you guys, the fans made sure that happened). Anything on top of that feels very much like gravey.

I am SOOOO glad Mattel is offering a 2016 line, and I’m glad they stuck to the road map I left for this year I’m actually pretty excited to see what they potentially could offer for 2017 since that will be the first year I had nothing to do with the line. It is really nice to just sit back and enjoy new figs coming each month. We have had an amazing ride the last 7 years, thank you for being part of it.

Good journey everyone!

PS: The following rumors are just not true and never were:

1: Ool-ar was a deliberate name for Jungle He-Man using jungle noises and MOTU naming convention. He was NEVER a misspelling of Mo-larr. The copyrights just came out around the same time.

2: I never intentionally released a bio to calm issues on the boards. I released bios when they became avail. If bios came out during the middle of a crap storm, it was always coincidence .

3: Green Goddess did not use cheap plastic. There was a problem with the sonic wielder, the same problem happened with DC figs released around this time (Wave 3 and 4 I think). I was quickly fixed and has not happened again.

4: I never blamed the fans for Roboto or Hssss’ shoulders being revered. What I said was “the details in the shoulders were so small that the fan press didn’t even notice”. I was trying to explain that it is sometimes hard to notice these details, I was not at all holding the reviewers responsible for this. Just using them as an example of how easy it is to miss these, noting that even reviewers missed the shoulders first time out.

5: Dare was never meant to take over the line in 2016. As you can see from the 2016 line up, he was just a way of getting one more faction into the line. Much as Penny Dreadful pointed out in a great thread last month, Classics was all about hitting as many different eras as possible in Classics and that included SOHM. The idea that he would take over or supplant He-Man or She-Ra was never in the cards. No more then Goatman did as a GoldenBooks figure.

6: I love She-Ra. I actually like her more then He-Man. The “hole in her head” from her original release was just to allow fans to maximize the display options. Not a commentary on feminism. If it felt like POP had a slower roll out, note that there were always 2-5 POP releases per year. And Bow and Adora count here. A lot of fans over the years only counted POP if you drilled down to POP→female→ had a vintage toy-→ appeared on the cartoon. Under that very small guideline, of course we didn’t get to figs every year. But if you open yourself up to all of POP, you can see we were very POP heavy every year. In fact the 2014 mini sub was basically just the 6 POP that were originally slotted for 2016-2017. Once the roadmap was cut short we had to pull them in to pre 2015 per our 2013 promise.

7: I never intended for Spector to be an important character. He was always a background character meant to bridge different eras (which was a direct request from management for all the 2012 new figs). My only regret was calling him "heroic master of time travel" using the standard MOTU tag line convention (everyone being a "master" of something). A much better tag line might have been "heroic time traveling spy". I tried to address this in the next mini comic to make it very clear how background Spector was intended to be. He was not the new He-Man or star of the line! But I am glad to have a figure of him!

Thanks for hanging in there guys! I hope all our collections continue to grow and grow. MOTU forever and MOTUC forever. Please try not to be too hard on the new team. These are the people trying to GET you more MOTU toys. They (like me before hand) were never your enemy or the bad guy. Try to give them the benefit of the doubt and know all there actions are in your best interest to get out as many great toys as possible! As I noted in the Dare example above, things change ALL THE TIME in the toy industry and many many times something someone says one day can be completely changed the next. It is not lying to the fans, it is just the way logistics of the toy industry work. So try to cut the new team some rope. We are VERY lucky to have Mark and Kim and Brandon. I honestly couldn't think of better folk. Mark would have 100% been my choice as a new director for the brand, Kim worked for me for years running the logistics for the site, and Brandon brings much needed enthusiasm for the work that will only pay off with better figures. Having a passionate designer makes all the difference.

There is a new upper management team as well. In fact, they came into place 1 week before I resigned, so I didn't get to work with them much. This is the forth upper management team that has overseen MOTUC and Matty and it is clear the new team has changed a lot of the rules about what can be shown when. Part of me wishes I had had this management under my time on the brand, but for now, enjoy what we are getting, the huge amount of support Mattel management seems to be showing the brand now, and enjoy collecting what I have always thought was the greatest toy line ever made.

Good Journey all!

Scott “Toyguru” Neitlich
    Last edited by Toyguru; August 11, 2015 at 07:30pm.

Thanks Scott for your hard work over the years. I understand that this is an industry in which things do change often. I work in a business like that myself. I'm on board for 2016 but I did cancel my 3 2015 subs due to financial fatigue, Buzzsaw Hordak, Dare, and the Hsss torso thing. It was just a perfect storm of too much going on.

I am very excited for the future though and I have forgiven the mistakes of the last half of this year. Hopefully the new team doesn't make more.
    Follow me on Instagram @Clo4k4ndD4gger for MOTUC pics and more.

My Top Most Wanted MOTUC: The Twiggets, Granita, Dylamug, Quakke, Sagitar, Spinwit, Spirit, Staghorn, Cringer (articulated adult form), Catra's Cat Form, Kayo, Filmation Tung Lashor, Master Sebrian, Drissi, Caz, Kittrina, Hawke/Delora, Attak Trak, Roton, Land Shark, Spidor, Crystal Castle, the Fright Zone.

Great post Scott!! It's always nice to hear about the inner workings of the line and how things eventually come to be.

I love and appreciate all eras of MOTU/POP and I think Dare is a great figure to end 2015 with.

I hope Son Of Skeletor won't be too far off.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the ride, and welcome to the passenger car for the next leg.

On a personal note, I've been hard on you. And I've defended you from time to time. I'm not happy with every decision you made or how you handled every hiccup. But I do sincerely thank you for your part in getting me all of these wonderful toys.
    WHERE IS THE TRANSPARENCY?

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

3 Club Eternia, 3 Club 200X, 2 Collectors' Choice. 1 Beast Man. 1 Camo Khan. 1 Granymyr

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Hey!

Okay. So I’ve been “relatively” quite the last few months, and I can confess that has been deliberate. I didn’t want to speak up, especially during the sub sell in period as to not throw off any efforts from the new team or skew any potential sales for them. I really do wish the new team all the best in the world for long and fulfilling collector line!

Now that 2016 sub sales have closed, I had a few “closing thoughts” on the brand I wanted to share, mostly jut to clear the air and ensure the new team is set up for success to continue brining you amazing MOTU collector figures for years if not decades to come. So what follows may be a little rambling, but I wanted to close off some loose ends that have been dangling since my resignation to help clear the air and ensure the new team is in no way to “blame” for things I have set up *(and vica versa if you will). So without further adieu, some closing thoughts on MOTUC as I headed into the sunset.

Dare

Okay. Let me clear the air on this guy and how/why he wound up in the line. So wayyyyyyyyy back in 2013 when the 2015 line was planned Dare was not in the line. As prices crept up and character selection dwindled it became clear we needed to refocus the line to ensure the “vintage line and A list characters” were complete before the price point hit $30.00 or more.

So.

The line was planned out and indeed Dare was not in it. Hence the statement I made only once on the He-Man.org boards stating directly that Dare would not be in the 2015 line. (this is the same quote where I misspelled Crimson Rose, using a code name fro Ever After High that was stuck in my head!). This is a PERFECT example of how I have always said “things change all the time!” and this is a textbook example.

Back in 2013 when this statement was made, Dare was not in the line. The December figure was 200X Evil Seed. The revised plan for 2014-2015 that was drafted in 2013 was to complete:

A: All vintage MOTUC characters including variants (which brings up the additional point that if fans did not want Buzz Saw Hordak, due to him being too similar in “look” - back in 2013 was the time to speak up and ask for him to NOT be on the roadmap. Asking in 2014 or even 2015 for him to be removed from the promised complete roadmap was too late.

B: All original POP figures from the vintage line. We knew that if we tackled variants for POP as well, it would be too many slots to offer in 2014 and 2015 because we also wanted to include in the wrap up road map-

C: A list characters from other media. This included Filmation. 200X, comics, books, and (dah dah dah...) concept eras like SOHM.

So with that criteria set up, adding characters like Lizard Man and Evil Seed (200X) made perfect sense to include in the revised roadmap. BUT….as I noted above, things CHANGE all the time in the toy industry. When the POP add on sub in 2014 sold very well, we got the last min greenlight to add a 200X mini sub in 2015.

Evil Seed was then moved from the Dec 2015 slot to a leading slot in the add on 200X sub. As arguably the most demanded of all 200X characters, it was felt very strongly across the team that he should be included in the 200X sub to help sell it in (this was before the new upper management came in and clearly changed things where now full year’s roll out are being shown, which BTW I am very jealous I never had this tactic available to me. It is definitely ironic that new upper management came in a week before I resigned, so I never had the opportunity to work within there new rules, a situation the new team is blessed to be currently in!)

Okay, I’m off topic. Back to Dec 2015.

So with Evil Seed 200X moving from Dec 2015 slot to a lead spot in the 200X sub *(to help sell that sub when we were working under the direction of the then “current” older management that did not allow figures that had not been approved to be shown to the public) it left the Dec mainline sub slot open. So when I made that statement in 2013 about Dare not being in the mainline, it was true. He was not in it at the time. But things changed…

We reviewed quite a few candidates for the Dec slot including Masque, Miro, Mara, Critia and others. In the end, upper management felt very strongly that Masque and Darius should NOT be in this slot. They both lost a fan vote, fans had the chance to vote them into the line and did not. Therefore the “losers” of the fan polls were immediately taken off the table by upper management for the Dec slot. They asked for a few options and one of those we presented was Dare, son of He-Man.

There are multiple reasons Dare rose to the top as the replacement candidate once 200X Evil Seed moved to the add on sub. At the time, it was thought Dec 2015 would be the end of the Classic line in name. Having the line start with He-Man and end with his son felt very bookmarky. Additionally, we wanted to use 2014-2015 (as noted above) to wrap up the vintage line and A-list characters from other media. Since we had already done a few characters from the “Son of He-Man” era (King He-Man, Laser-Lot, Unnamed One etc…) this era was firmly established. Therefore, it made a ton of sense to do the “A list” characters from “son of He-Man” era, namely the actual son, Dare AKA He-Ro II.

And if we were going to release him, personally I wanted to make sure he delivered value since the visuals we had access to noted his design was an early visual that eventually became “New Adventures He-Man”. This was why in the toy release (and in the upcoming mini comics issue 7 and 8) Dare is shown in his Filmation vest as well. I had hoped his belt for the filmation armor could have been included as well, letting fans use the Vykron buck mixed with Dare parts to create the Filmation version as a toy. Maybe that belt can be released one day. But either way, this “Dare” release was designed ideally to include all the “parts” you might need to create either Dare figure (in addition to using the Vikron buck from SDCC a few years back.

Okay, so I hope that clears up a big one. Personally I am really glad we got to Dare. He was always a “bridge too far” and the fact that we have completed the vintage lines made him very acceptable to tackle. Not to mention the 2016 line essentially contains all the figures we “wish” we could have put into 2014-2015 had we not been under the obligation to complete the vintage line before 2015 ended.

So where do we sit now? Well, much like Frodo at the end of the good Middle Earth films, I finished what I set out to do. The vintage line is done! (or at least will be by Dec, you guys, the fans made sure that happened). Anything on top of that feels very much like gravey.

I am SOOOO glad Mattel is offering a 2016 line, and I’m glad they stuck to the road map I left for this year I’m actually pretty excited to see what they potentially could offer for 2017 since that will be the first year I had nothing to do with the line. It is really nice to just sit back and enjoy new figs coming each month. We have had an amazing ride the last 7 years, thank you for being part of it.

Good journey everyone!

PS: The following rumors are just not true and never were:

1: Ool-ar was a deliberate name for Jungle He-Man using jungle noises and MOTU naming convention. He was NEVER a misspelling of Mo-larr. The copyrights just came out around the same time.

2: I never intentionally released a bio to calm issues on the boards. I released bios when they became avail. If bios came out during the middle of a crap storm, it was always coincidence .

3: Green Goddess did not use cheap plastic. There was a problem with the sonic wielder, the same problem happened with DC figs released around this time (Wave 3 and 4 I think). I was quickly fixed and has not happened again.

4: I never blamed the fans for Roboto or Hssss’ shoulders being revered. What I said was “the details in the shoulders were so small that the fan press didn’t even notice”. I was trying to explain that it is sometimes hard to notice these details, I was not at all holding the reviewers responsible for this. Just using them as an example of how easy it is to miss these, noting that even reviewers missed the shoulders first time out.

5: Dare was never meant to take over the line in 2016. As you can see from the 2016 line up, he was just a way of getting one more faction into the line. Much as Penny Dreadful pointed out in a great thread last month, Classics was all about hitting as many different eras as possible in Classics and that included SOHM. The idea that he would take over or supplant He-Man or She-Ra was never in the cards. No more then Goatman did as a GoldenBooks figure.

6: I love She-Ra. I actually like her more then He-Man. The “hole in her head” from her original release was just to allow fans to maximize the display options. Not a commentary on feminism. If it felt like POP had a slower roll out, note that there were always 2-5 POP releases per year. And Bow and Adora count here. A lot of fans over the years only counted POP if you drilled down to POP→female→ had a vintage toy-→ appeared on the cartoon. Under that very small guideline, of course we didn’t get to figs every year. But if you open yourself up to all of POP, you can see we were very POP heavy every year. In fact the 2014 mini sub was basically just the 6 POP that were originally slotted for 2016-2017. Once the roadmap was cut short we had to pull them in to pre 2015 per our 2013 promise.

7: I never intended for Spector to be an important character. He was always a background character meant to bridge different eras (which was a direct request from management for all the 2012 new figs). My only regret was calling him "heroic master of time travel" using the standard MOTU tag line convention (everyone being a "master" of something). A much better tag line might have been "heroic time traveling spy". I tried to address this in the next mini comic to make it very clear how background Spector was intended to be. He was not the new He-Man or star of the line! But I am glad to have a figure of him!

Thanks for hanging in there guys! I hope all our collections continue to grow and grow. MOTU forever and MOTUC forever. Please try not to be too hard on the new team. These are the people trying to GET you more MOTU toys. They (like me before hand) were never your enemy or the bad guy. Try to give them the benefit of the doubt and know all there actions are in your best interest to get out as many great toys as possible! As I noted in the Dare example above, things change ALL THE TIME in the toy industry and many many times something someone says one day can be completely changed the next. It is not lying to the fans, it is just the way logistics of the toy industry work. So try to cut the new team some rope. We are VERY lucky to have Mark and Kim and Brandon. I honestly couldn't think of better folk. Mark would have 100% been my choice as a new director for the brand, Kim worked for me for years running the logistics for the site, and Brandon brings much needed enthusiasm for the work that will only pay off with better figures. Having a passionate designer makes all the difference.

There is a new upper management team as well. In fact, they came into place 1 week before I resigned, so I didn't get to work with them much. This is the forth upper management team that has overseen MOTUC and Matty and it is clear the new team has changed a lot of the rules about what can be shown when. Part of me wishes I had had this management under my time on the brand, but for now, enjoy what we are getting, the huge amount of support Mattel management seems to be showing the brand now, and enjoy collecting what I have always thought was the greatest toy line ever made.

Good Journey all!

Scott “Toyguru” Neitlich
    Great post.. .... and thanks for everything you done. Wish you were still there as you're a fan and will keep things authentic, also wish you were still here to have a strong say on the movie. I don't want that crap coming out like g.i. joe..
    Last edited by unclassified; August 11, 2015 at 08:12pm.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    This reasoning is so wrong on so many levels. Fans did not vote Masque and Darius 'out', it was Mattel who presented us with no alternative but to choose just one from a pair of fan-requested characters. Fans wanted both from each pair to be included, but Mattel forced us to choose just one and the other would be left out against our outspoken wishes. Thus, there was a "loser" by design, because Mattel mandated it so and gave us no alternative. Then Mattel apparently took that to mean that fans voted "the losers" out of the 2015 line, as if it had been our actual desire to exclude them, instead of something that Mattel force-fed upon us and against our loudly expressed wishes.

Did Mattel offer us the choice to have BOTH into the line and the fans then willingly voted to have just one of them in and leave the other out of 2015? NO. We were only given the predefined option to choose one and leave the other out. So fans chose the one they perceived as less likely to be given a second chance later on (i.e., the female, given the prejudice against female characters). In fact, there was a strong fan reaction against forcing us to choose just one and leave the other out, and we made it loudly clear that we wanted BOTH and that forcing us to choose just one was not something we wanted nor something we liked AT ALL.

So using this fallacious reasoning ("fans voted Masque and Darius 'out', so that means they do not want them in 2015, and so they get automatically excluded from the list of candidates to fill in the vacant December slot") to then justify including a character that fans WERE indeed very outspoken in specifically NOT wanting it to be included in the 2015 line, is thus just so WRONG. Infuriatingly wrong in fact.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; August 11, 2015 at 08:27pm.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    This reasoning is so wrong on so many levels. Fans did not vote Masque and Darius 'out', it was Mattel who presented us with no alternative but to choose just one from a pair of fan-requested characters. Fans wanted both from each pair to be included, but Mattel forced us to choose just one and the other would be left out against our outspoken wishes. Thus, there was a "loser" by design, because Mattel mandated it so and gave us no alternative. Then Mattel apparently took that to mean that fans voted "the losers" out of the 2015 line, as if it had been our actual desire to exclude them, instead of something that Mattel force-fed upon us and against our loudly expressed wishes.

Did Mattel offer us the choice to have BOTH into the line and the fans then willingly voted to have just one of them in and leave the other out of 2015? NO. We were only given the predefined option to choose one and leave the other out. So fans chose the one they perceived as less likely to be given a second chance later on. In fact, there was a strong fan reaction against forcing us to choose just one and leave the other out, and we made it loudly clear that we wanted BOTH and that forcing us to choose just one was not something we wanted nor something we liked AT ALL.

Using this fallacious reasoning ("fans voted Masque and Darius 'out', so that means they do not want them in 2015, and so they get automatically excluded from the list of candidates to fill in the vacant December slot") to then justify including a character that fans were indeed very outspoken in specifically not wanting it to be included in the 2015 line, is just so WRONG. Infuriatingly wrong in fact.
    Eh, but they're both coming in 2016 and look like good sculpts, so its all good.
    WHERE IS THE TRANSPARENCY?

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

3 Club Eternia, 3 Club 200X, 2 Collectors' Choice. 1 Beast Man. 1 Camo Khan. 1 Granymyr

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Thanks Scott. You're a legend!

Thanks for clearing the air and filling us in! I too am very happy to be getting Dare. As for the new team, while I think Brandon is great for the figures I can't help missing you and your enthusiasm for the brand. So thanks for that!

Thanks, Scott. I actually love hearing about the inner-workings of this hobby. I think you had an amazing run, all things considered, and I hope you will continue to enjoy the line with us for a long time to come.

Any comment on the King Hisss torso? I'm not trying to start anything. I'm actually just really curious on your thoughts.

All the best.

Heroic Warrior
    Dare should not have ever been Made. Every slot is precious plenty of other candidates would have been better. Also didnt care for how you guys at Mattel gave the 4H too much latitude in designing the POP gals. Most followed the filmation style guide then Entrapta goes off point and Perfuma needed a new teenage buck but instead you approved her on the older adult buck and looks nothing like her filmation style guide appearance. Next to Frosta she's horrible. And that brings up Frosta. So much wrong with her-- headsculpt is all wrong, the translucent hair, the wrong hair color, grey instead of white. I would have liked you have been strict on their looks as DC and Marvel are about their figures before giving their approval And you included way too much NA which as you admitted were poor sellers. And why would you package a filmation teela with an expensive point dread playset?

But thanks for getting us a castle greyskull and snake mountain. And I'm glad you shared my Super Powers love that bled over into DCUC. Updates
    Last edited by degra; August 11, 2015 at 08:41pm.
    Matty please expand the new Filmation toyline and please release accurate Filmation of-- tri klops, merman, fisto, roboto, kobra khan, hordak, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, teela, spikor, buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, tung lashor, mekaneck, man at arms, sorceress, jitsu, ram man, man e faces, frosta, bow and perfuma.

Great post,I do hope someday,you finish the stories you were working on. A book would be great some day of all the behind the scenes fun.

You did an awesome job,and you will always be the face of motuc for most fans.

The only thing I can't get over is that fat armor New Adventures skelletor. One of my favorite characters and I still have a hard time looking at him. any way,everything else was great in my book.

Now,what else you got in store for us from your new toy home,any info on what to expect on force Friday?
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I'm happy Dare is coming. I have always wanted Dare (exactly as he appeared in the Lou Scheimer pitch everyone knows about). I'm sad he's no longer She-Ra and Sea Hawk's biological son and that he has the blue NA pants, but I'm still excited for him.

QUESTION: If Dare was meant to bookend the line...what about Skeleteen? Dare is to He-Man as Skeleteen is to Skeletor. They are the leads of S:oH, Skeleteen is the son of Skeletor and Evil-Lyn and he's the main villain (who's now featured heavily in the mini-comics). We will now have the main hero, but may never have the main villain. This...seems like a gaping hole that will be in our collections. I don't see how Dare made the line complete when we're missing Skeleteen. Did you ever plan for Skeleteen or Kay-La?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Now THIS is "Transparency". I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Seriously. Management can be pretty strange apparently. O_o

Thanks Scott! I'm actually looking forward to Dare,the son of He-Man and Teela coming out in December!
    man.....I look on with pride over the massive amount of MOTUC figures that are standing on my shelves! It's much appreciated the roll you played in getting these figures out!

(It's gonna be real FUN doing this all over again with ThunderCats!!!)

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Im glad to get Dare in MOTUC, because he is the "son of He-Man" and thanks for the explanation of combining Vykron and Dare to get the Filmation look (the original representation of the character).

I want to point out 2 facts:

This is not true. Roboto and Cy-Chop also have fragile transparent plastic. A lot of buyers have figures with cracked torsos .

I was trying to explain that it is sometimes hard to notice these details, I was not at all holding the reviewers responsible for this.
    When Stinkor was released it was VERY noticeable that the forearms were reversed and someone said that it was a "design decision" instead of telling that it was a mistake.
    MATTEL you owe me a SNAKE TORSO!!!

TOP 25 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST

-SONGSTER -KARG -SCROLLOS -LANDSHARK -3 ETERNIAN TOWERS
    -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA -METEORBS -MONSTROID -BLASTERHAWK

NA: -GLEANONS -GALACTYMITES -WEAPONSTRONIC -SAGITAR -STAGHORN
    MYP: -QUEEN ANDREENO -GNOME MARZO -ORACLE -ODIPHUS -BONE MUTANT
    POG: -GRAY -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR

Good stuff Scott. We have over 150 MOTUC figs... so yeah... great job and thanks!!! And as always, thanks for letting my son play with Ram-Man at NYCC a few years back!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Eh, but they're both coming in 2016 and look like good sculpts, so its all good.
    Exactly.....

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I'm happy for his post, but I will NEVER believe the Mo-Larr story. The entire Robot Chicken team was at the Art Show for the unveiling of the character. "Something" happened before Mo-Larr was supposed to be shown off to everyone and we were told the surprise SDCC item would be revealed at a later date. Mo-Larr was not TM'd at the time, but Oo-Larr was. Everyone believed it was a spelling error, which TG said does not happen with copyrights and TM's because of the expense. A few years later, Mattel TM's Shakoti (obvious spelling error). Shortly thereafter, Shokoti was TM'd.

If Oo-Larr was NOT a spelling error, why was he not shown off at the Art Show, like he was supposed to be? Celebrities (the Robot Chicken team) made a special trip specifically for the unveiling, but it did not happen. This question has been left unanswered for YEARS!
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 11, 2015 at 09:38pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I'm happy Dare is coming. I have always wanted Dare (exactly as he appeared in the Lou Scheimer pitch everyone knows about). I'm sad he's no longer She-Ra and Sea Hawk's biological son and that he has the blue NA pants, but I'm still excited for him.

QUESTION: If Dare was meant to bookend the line...what about Skeleteen? Dare is to He-Man as Skeleteen is to Skeletor. They are the leads of S:oH, Skeleteen is the son of Skeletor and Evil-Lyn and he's the main villain (who's now featured heavily in the mini-comics). We will now have the main hero, but may never have the main villain. This...seems like a gaping hole that will be in our collections. I don't see how Dare made the line complete when we're missing Skeleteen. Did you ever plan for Skeleteen or Kay-La?
    We will get him. And I believe he said the plan was to start the new line with dare. Not end classics..

Well Scott, I'm happy for you that you've finally gotten the opportunity to share a post like this - though you've scattered a few of these explanations, etc. around at other points, it's great to have it all in one chest release!

I happen to be a Dare fan (but he'll still be the son of She-Ra and Sea Hawk in my canon ), and I'll be happy to get him for the very reasons that both you and Penny Dreadful have pointed out. Classics has always been about representing the all-encompassing nature of MoTU (there's a Robot Chicken character in it for crying out loud!) and it would feel lacking if he weren't there for my King He-Man shelf.

A couple of questions: Anything you can tell us about the possibility of seeing The Son of "Don't call me Skeleteen!" Skeletor?

Did you have trademark problems with the Oo-Larr name because of the character from the Caveman Robot comics?
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post
    Im glad to get Dare in MOTUC, because he is the "son of He-Man" and thanks for the explanation of combining Vykron and Dare to get the Filmation look (the original representation of the character).

I want to point out 2 facts:

This is not true. Roboto and Cy-Chop also have fragile transparent plastic. A lot of buyers have figures with cracked torsos .

When Stinkor was released it was VERY noticeable that the forearms were reversed and someone said that it was a "design decision" instead of telling that it was a mistake.
    Gotta say I agree. I have all of them. I still cant understand the Stinkor issue? They're reversed and they don't look right.

I have a hard time understanding how a guy that was the Brand Manager that had 2 characters created of him, writes the mini comics that prominently featured his character as a important element of said story ( over other important ones) and says "I never intended for Spector to be an important character. "

wow.

I do thank you for being part of the creation of Classics revolution and creating a better MOTU brand with the 4 Horsemen.
    Last edited by ksharpe; August 11, 2015 at 09:24pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I'm happy for his post, but I will NEVER believe the Oo-Larr story. The entire Robot Chicken team was at the Art Show for the unveiling of the character. "Something" happened before Mo-Larr was supposed to be shown off to everyone and we were told the surprise SDCC item would be revealed at a later date. Mo-Larr was not TM'd at the time, but Oo-Larr was. Everyone believed it was a spelling error, which TG said does not happen with copyrights and TM's because of the expense. A few years later, Mattel TM's Shakoti (obvious spelling error). Shortly thereafter, Shokoti was TM'd.

If Oo-Larr was NOT a spelling error, why was he not shown off at the Art Show, like he was supposed to be? Celebrities (the Robot Chicken team) made a special trip specifically for the unveiling, but it did not happen. This question has been left unanswered for YEARS!
    Oo-late was copyrighted for use in bios and copy to establish him in prep for the eventual fig. There were never plans to reveal Oo-Larr at the robot
    Chicken show or anything related to that. His copyright in or around the time of Mo-larr being copyright had zero to do with each other. You are WAY reading into things.

Shokoti was misspelled by the package team at first. but you don't need to file or pay a new fee to correct a slight spelling change. It is the same reason another company can't make Haut Wheelzz. The correct spelling of Shokoti was covered under the original filing, it just had to be updated.

I'm the case of Mo-Larr and Oo-late, two complete unreleased characters who happen to have names with similar letters, but that is due to both using one of the many MoTu naming mechanisms. Ending in an "ar" or "or" depending on the fig. Both with there own TM, which happened to be taken out close together. We often took old upcoming fig names and seeded them in bios to spur interest in doing these characters as toys. Vikor, the Fighting Foe Men and Demo-Man all come to mind. All had trademarks taken out for use of the name in bios due to intent to make a figure one day (assuming there was enough demand) oo-larr if I recall was seeded in a bio long before his fig release. Hence the early TM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poweron View Post
    Well Scott, I'm happy for you that you've finally gotten the opportunity to share a post like this - though you've scattered a few of these explanations, etc. around at other points, it's great to have it all in one chest release!

I happen to be a Dare fan (but he'll still be the son of She-Ra and Sea Hawk in my canon ), and I'll be happy to get him for the very reasons that both you and Penny Dreadful have pointed out. Classics has always been about representing the all-encompassing nature of MoTU (there's a Robot Chicken character in it for crying out loud!) and it would feel lacking if he weren't there for my King He-Man shelf.

A couple of questions: Anything you can tell us about the possibility of seeing The Son of "Don't call me Skeleteen!" Skeletor?

Did you have trademark problems with the Oo-Larr name because of the character from the Caveman Robot comics?
    You would need to ask the new team if interested in an eventual Skelteen figure or for them to reveal the vintage concept book (the one shown at the Power Con two years ago). As for Caveman Robot, obviously we didn't
    Last edited by Toyguru; August 11, 2015 at 09:26pm.

Sorry still cannot except the reasoning for Dare. Why not Crita since she is the evil counter part to Mara.

and where was Dylamug on the roadmap and why was he not considered for 2016? High tooling cost or held hostage for a potential 2017?

I'm happy we got Madame Razz though
    My top 10 characters: 10/Filmation Ram Man, 9/Uncle Montork & Dree-Elle, 8/Kothos, 7/Filmation Mer-Man, 6/Granita, 5/Filmation Leech, 4/Filmation Tung Lashor, 3/Twiggets (Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina), 2/Hunga the Harpy, 1/Dylamug.