Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Catra Video Review by Pixel Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Does the Catra on Fwoosh look like she has the same thing going on? I can't tell.
    I did not notice that, Dan's mention of the soft hand was the first I picked up.

(goes off to re-read Fwoosh review )
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

She looks better in the review than she has in pictures.

I love that she has an open hand! There needs to be more of that--Goddess and Evil-Lyn needed them. But...why is it so flimsy? Does the hard plastic break too easily? I want the open hands though, I don't know if the soft plastic is a fair trade yet but the open hands are very important!

EDIT: the hands don't look different in Fwoosh pictures. Dan, did you get a lemon?
    Last edited by gbagok; May 5, 2011 at 10:25pm.

Just re-read the Fwoosh review and not one mention about the soft plastic hand. The pics also make both hands look similar but I can't really tell because of lighting used

Maybe Dan just got a weird figure? Fwoosh mentioned everything from the hardness of the hair to the softness of the dress. I would think if the hand was as flimsy as Dan's was they would have mocked it

Not sure what to say lol
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    Awesome review! Can't wait for the others.

I was HORRIFIED over the sword!! What the hell!? The jewel fell out!? So not cool. The hand was bizzare too. Weird stuff. Squishy hands and swords.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Great review! I soooo want Catra right now!
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Hate soft weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Hate soft weapons.
    I second that. I'm already paranoid enough with certainl 200X weapons (making sure they're laying flat in the drawer) and the MotUC weapons have been a breeze to store. I do NOT want this to be a usual thing. It's bad enough with the MotUC rifles being bendy, though, I'll admit they aren't terrible (though the weapons rack "scare glow" halberds have the softest plastic yet). I can't imagine any good excuses for this kinda stuff.

Otherwise, it's a great figure, and I'm looking forward to her. I would be even more, if I wasn't such a fan of accessories. Flawed accessories are one of my big pet peeves.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Really a beautiful figure! The soft plastic weirds me out though that they used for her hand! And the sword…just odd. Still…I'm REALLY looking forward to getting her! She's gorgeous!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

VeeBee from the fwoosh

Re: MOTUC Catra Discussion | Firrrst Look pg 6

Postby VeeBee » Thu May 05, 2011 8:20 pm
    I did not notice that anything was particularly "squishy". I tried to do a 1:1 with some other MOTUC/DC stuff and this is as close I can get:

Her claw hand is softer than the other, I would say it is about the same as DCUC Cheetah. The whip is the same as Beast Man's whip. The sword gets more flexible as it gets to the thinner point, about like the Scythe of Doom that comes in the weapon's pack blade. It is more firm in the hilt and jewel area of the blade. The shield feels the same as She-Ra's, but slightly thinner.

I think the only real difference is that these weapons are made of PVC instead of ABS like most of the MOTUC weapons. Like I said though, nothing struck me as being so soft that it was out of the ordinary. Does that make sense?
    Last edited by SCB; May 5, 2011 at 11:31pm.

She's freaking awesome! Best female figure so far. Now bring on Entrapta, Catra needs someone to boss around!

I am in love with this figure. Best female figure hands down.

Absolutely gorgeous figure i think this is the most excited I've been for a figure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    Great review as always, Dan. But, I do have a request...

Can you please move back to the kitchen table so we don't get a five-minute close up of your crotch?
    I didnt notice it until I watched it again.

Despite that, awesome review Dan!

Evil and sees Everything. Someone Else's Avatar
    Somewhere between Science and Superstition.
    Great review. But that sword really is so terrible in every way imaginable...

On the Soft claw hand:
    Probably for security reasons. Remember that in the early 2000s Mattel had issues with Batmobile fins hurting kids.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    VeeBee from the fwoosh
    D'oh! I asked about this on the Catra review. Sounds like his stuff is good. How's Cheetah's hand? I don't own her yet.

Maybe it's just hot at Dan's? I don't know. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    On the Soft claw hand:
    Probably for security reasons. Remember that in the early 2000s Mattel had issues with Batmobile fins hurting kids.
    I call bogus of the hand being jello for security reasons. I mean, I've gotten cut from opening the sharp plastic PACKAGING. They also have the 'air holes' that are just begging someone to use it on their fingers like a cheese grater.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Cheetah's hand is flexible, but not squishy like in Dan's video.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Great review. *bows to the King of MOTUC reviews.*
    Does Galactus fart?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I call bogus of the hand being jello for security reasons. I mean, I've gotten cut from opening the sharp plastic PACKAGING. They also have the 'air holes' that are just begging someone to use it on their fingers like a cheese grater.
    I don't buy it either, but that's the answer I'd expect from Mattel.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    I don't buy it either, but that's the answer I'd expect from Mattel.
    I am still expecting them to say it was a factory error (similar to how She-Ra 1.0 was supposed to have the softer dress Evil Lynn had instead of super rigid, or that the Goddess was supposed to have stronger plastic)

The reason Catra's sword is a bit flimsy is because we need to tool all of the weapons in the same mold to stay on budget (if we tool'd all of the accessories in unique tool's it would get REALLY expensive).

We really wanted the whip to be loose, that meant we had to use the same plastic type on the sword since they shared a tool.

As for the hand, I have two Catra's in front of me and both have the same colored hand. I'm not sure why Dan's sample had an oddly colored hand, but it honestly is the first I've seen.

Why it is a bit more flimsy I'm not sure. I'll need to ask Bill and Terry in design and see what I can find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    The reason Catra's sword is a bit flimsy is because we need to tool all of the weapons in the same mold to stay on budget (if we tool'd all of the accessories in unique tool's it would get REALLY expensive).

We really wanted the whip to be loose, that meant we had to use the same plastic type on the sword since they shared a tool.

As for the hand, I have two Catra's in front of me and both have the same colored hand. I'm not sure why Dan's sample had an oddly colored hand, but it honestly is the first I've seen.

Why it is a bit more flimsy I'm not sure. I'll need to ask Bill and Terry in design and see what I can find out.
    How about a harder Sword in a weapon pack down the road?
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Court Magician
    I still think a Ruby (Red Stone) on both the sword and shield would have made catra look so much nicer instead of that pink stone!! oh well.... She still looks nice!

Thanks Dan, great video

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post

Thanks for the post, Scott!

I figured as much about the reason for the weapon.

But the hand is a bit odd. Glad that the two you have don;t have that problem. Maybe I just ended up with a weird one. :-)

Keep us posted on what you hear!! Thanks again!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Catra to Toyguru: Talk to the hand!

Interesting looking figure although I'm not into POP. Thank you Dan for the review, however you forgot to look for the shoulders.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.