Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: MOTU Classics Catra Video Review by Pixel Dan

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Video is sadly not working for me... Tried turning off adblock plus, but that didn't help... Anybody else having this problem? It's just a white square on this end.

EDIT: Oh, ok. Now it works. Good review Dan. =)

I'm a bit hesitant about what I think about the hand and sword, until we get more confirmation about other review-samples. Toyguru's and Fwoosh's are not as soft... but Toyguru's don't count, so we need one more confo'.

Are there any more reviews up yet?? Then we could ask someone more.
    Last edited by Predabot; May 9, 2011 at 08:11am.

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    More requested pics!
    Thanks, PD, you're awesome!!!
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

Heroic Warrior Woodland Warrior's Avatar
    The Enchanted Forests of Ancient Edinburgh
    Just catching up on your reviews Dan. Great job as always.
    Like others I have to say that Catra's sword and bendy hand are quite dissapointing. However, the figure still looks brilliant.

If I had been Mattel or the Horsemen I wouldn't have bothered making the soft plastic sword. I would have held off the shield, 2nd mask and sword until making a Ctra variant based on the vintage figure. Then they could have sculpted a 2nd whip which didn't have a daft comb attached!
    Neutral Forest Spirit

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    Catra on Panthor!!
    Awesome, thank you Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    It is really nice to see we won't need a Catra 2.0 (outside of Shower Power or Vintage look) to fit on an animal
    Indeed!
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Why is everybody upset over the soft plastic hand? It's sculpted open...it's not designed to hold anything...so what's the problem?

For crying out loud, it's not like it moves on it's own!

Of course if you yank on it and bend it over backwards and forwards it's going to move, but who actually does this?

Same with the sword..."Look, if I bend the sword in half, the jewel falls out!"

WOW. Really?

And if the sword was rigid? "Look, if I bend the sword in half, it breaks!"

Whatever happened to common sense?
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Why is everybody upset over the soft plastic hand? It's sculpted open...it's not designed to hold anything...so what's the problem?

Of course if you yank on it and bend it over backwards and forwards it's going to move, but who actually does this?

Same with the sword..."Look, if I bend the sword in half, the jewel falls out!"

WOW. Really?

And if the sword was rigid? "Look, if I bend the sword in half, it breaks!"

Whatever happened to common sense?
    Understand that I do this stuff in the video for the purpose of showing off just how soft the plastic is. It's done for demonstration purposes.

I think the fuss over the sword is that due to the soft plastic, the sword is very warped. Mine came out of the box compeltely curved, and still does not sit straight.

And on the hand; while technically since it's not going to hold anything the soft plastic isn't as big of a deal here, the color difference is still noticeable enough to point it out just by looking at her from afar. Now, it is still unclear on whether or not it's just mine or if the mass release will be like this. But it's still worth me poitning out, because folks are going to want to know this sort of thing.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Heroic Warrior
    So thats what a Megan Fox action figure would look like
    Shame about the hand. Im hoping MC correct it.

Same with the sword.
    If the plastic they've used is too soft it can sometimes cause an accessory to droop under it's own weight. Two Bad's 200X weapon suffers badly from this.

That's what i'm worried about. I don't want a repeat of that in this line, especially at these prices.

Great review! Best figure of this year so far! The whip looks a lot better than I had originally thought too but I'll probably leave her with the sword.

Understand that I do this stuff in the video for the purpose of showing off just how soft the plastic is. It's done for demonstration purposes.

I think the fuss over the sword is that due to the soft plastic, the sword is very warped. Mine came out of the box compeltely curved, and still does not sit straight.

And on the hand; while technically since it's not going to hold anything the soft plastic isn't as big of a deal here, the color difference is still noticeable enough to point it out just by looking at her from afar. Now, it is still unclear on whether or not it's just mine or if the mass release will be like this. But it's still worth me poitning out, because folks are going to want to know this sort of thing.
    I understand where you're coming from Dan. My point is, showing people that the jewel will fall out of the sword if it's bent in half is really overdoing it, IMO, since that is way beyond normal use. I mean, under normal use, nobody is going to bend it in half like that anyway. Seems like it just upset people unnecessarily and makes the issue appear worse than it really is. But, as you say, folks will want to know.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I understand where you're coming from Dan. My point is, showing people that the jewel will fall out of the sword if it's bent in half is really overdoing it, IMO, since that is way beyond normal use. I mean, under normal use, nobody is going to bend it in half like that anyway. Seems like it just upset people unnecessarily and makes the issue appear worse than it really is. But, as you say, folks will want to know.
    I lol'd at your first post regarding the soft stuff.

Anyway, I obviously don't think anyone is going to bend the sword as much as Dan showed, but the fact that it's that soft may be a problem in the future. If you remember the 200X line, a bunch of the accessories were soft and began getting EXTREMELY warped in time with the figures just holding their weapons. So, in a few years, Catra's sword might look like the letter "C," on it's side...
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Why did the sword have to be made with the same plastic as the whip? Is the shield soft too, or was it deemed important enough to not have to be cast with the whip?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I lol'd at your first post regarding the soft stuff.

Anyway, I obviously don't think anyone is going to bend the sword as much as Dan showed, but the fact that it's that soft may be a problem in the future. If you remember the 200X line, a bunch of the accessories were soft and began getting EXTREMELY warped in time with the figures just holding their weapons. So, in a few years, Catra's sword might look like the letter "C," on it's side...
    I wouldn't go as far as 200X as a reference, DS... We've got some MOTUC weapons that would need those Pills advertised on the TV...
    MAA's Mace and Webstor's weapons come to mind.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    If the plastic they've used is too soft it can sometimes cause an accessory to droop under it's own weight. Two Bad's 200X weapon suffers badly from this

That's what happened with a lot of the legs on the JLU figures. I can't tell you how many eventually just fall forward because the plastic is too soft and it warps
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    That's what happened with a lot of the legs on the JLU figures. I can't tell you how many eventually just fall forward because the plastic is too soft and it warps
    That is the least of JLU figures problems, they are designed like **** and are often top heavy. Hard plastic would not fix those pieces of crap
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

That is the least of JLU figures problems, they are designed like **** and are often top heavy. Hard plastic would not fix those pieces of crap
    Easy, now! I love JLU, but the cheap plastic is a huge problem. My figures fall over like dominoes because of the bending legs over time. If they were made of a sturdier plastic, didn't have warped legs and had THICKER legs, everything would have been good. In short, if they made them like Kenner's Batman: the Animated Series figures from the 90's. JLU's style is very similar to that toy line, so it wouldn't have been that hard to do. *shrugs*
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Easy, now! I love JLU, but the cheap plastic is a huge problem. My figures fall over like dominoes because of the bending legs over time. If they were made of a sturdier plastic, didn't have warped legs and had THICKER legs, everything would have been good. In short, if they made them like Kenner's Batman: the Animated Series figures from the 90's. JLU's style is very similar to that toy line, so it wouldn't have been that hard to do. *shrugs*
    Cheap plastic, poor articulation, bad paint apps.

They would be able to stand sure, still would be sucky figures for what we pay ($8-12 per single figure depending on the store). Best thing about them is their likeness to the toon, but everything from accessories to distribution in the line was bad. MOTU 200x He-Man and Skeletor Variantpalooza could not touch JLU's overuse of Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern

I am an avid JLU collector (have just about 2 of every figure) but I will admit in a heartbeat they stink as a toy
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Cheap plastic, poor articulation, bad paint apps.

They would be able to stand sure, still would be sucky figures for what we pay ($8-12 per single figure depending on the store). Best thing about them is their likeness to the toon, but everything from accessories to distribution in the line was bad. MOTU 200x He-Man and Skeletor Variantpalooza could not touch JLU's overuse of Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern

I am an avid JLU collector (have just about 2 of every figure) but I will admit in a heartbeat they stink as a toy
    Touche!

I'm okay with the articulation though! They were meant for kids, initially, and the BTAS figures fit in pretty well with the toyline. BTAS figures rock hardcore.

The figures with added articulation kind of suck though...something from my Green Lantern literally fell out of his waist and now he twists like vintage Sy-Klone! Also, most of the knee and arm articulation looks terrible and is extremely loose.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; May 10, 2011 at 02:44am.

I'm okay with the articulation though! They were meant for kids, initially, and the BTAS figures fit in pretty well with the toyline. BTAS figures rock hardcore.
    I must be a kid at heart then. I like the Green Lantern 3.75 movie toys even though most things I've read online have said they suck due to the lack of articulation.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I must be a kid at heart then. I like the Green Lantern 3.75 movie toys even though most things I've read online have said they suck due to the lack of articulation.
    Maybe!

Their constructs (Green Lantern swords, guns, etc.) work AMAZINGLY well with DCUC Green Lanterns! I think that will be the main selling point of those figures and not the figures themselves.

I want to post the link to the review of them AFI did...but they're having issues at the moment...

More requested pics!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ket_50837_.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ket_50836_.jpg

The mask is a little big for vintage Catra's head, but you can slide it in her hair to get it to stick.
    AHHHHHH!

Dan, you're the MAN! Awesome, awesome, awesome. Made my day

Now, if only I could convince Mattel to sell me two MOTUC Catra masks...one for a figure and one for a custom transformed Catra. I'd be in heaven. Waited FOREVER for them to make that mask.

*does backflips and cartwheels and prays to the fickle Matty gods*

Please please with Orko on top, let me find someone who for whatever reason wishes to part with a red Catra mask, so that I may finally be able to place it on the head of my vintage Catra figure and be in complete bliss. And if it's possible, two masks...but again, happy for whatever blessings you throw my name. For the Honor, amen.

EDIT:

...something from my Green Lantern literally fell out of his waist and now he twists like vintage Sy-Klone!
    Just to chime in on this JLU side-discussion, I think it's more an issue with the cheapness of the plastic. I think if they used decent plastic, the articulation would have been great. Look at the awesome Doomsday figure. They clearly used different plastic on him, and his joints totally work and enhance the figure.

I'm still bummed they never did simple stuff, like release Martian Manhunter with his cloak draped slightly over his shoulder they way it did on the show. Or release a Wonder Woman with elbow articulation. Girl can't even deflect bullets! Sad.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; May 10, 2011 at 10:34am.

It's frustrating that they went with the decision to make the sword soft just so the whip could also be soft. I'm guessing more people were planning to display her with the sword over the whip. I don't understand the reasoning to give the whip better treatment over the sword considering it is just a gimmick nod to the brush that the vintage toy came with. People at Mattel need to realize that things become warped in packaging by the time they get to our hands, and take this into account when choosing the plastics to cast the accessories in. A warped whip that already has natural turns and twists in it is nothing compared to a warped sword that is supposed to be as straight and firm as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxysurfer View Post
    It's frustrating that they went with the decision to make the sword soft just so the whip could also be soft. I'm guessing more people were planning to display her with the sword over the whip. I don't understand the reasoning to give the whip better treatment over the sword considering it is just a gimmick nod to the brush that the vintage toy came with. People at Mattel need to realize that things become warped in packaging by the time they get to our hands, and take this into account when choosing the plastics to cast the accessories in. A warped whip that already has natural turns and twists in it is nothing compared to a warped sword that is supposed to be as straight and firm as possible.
    I suppose since we all *****ed about the whip being so erect and ugly they figured making it soft would appease us. Except all that did was seem to make things worse

So in essence we can't win for trying

In hindsight I actually wish most of us had kept our mouths shut about the whip, I was planning on using a hairdryer to mold it and be done. But instead we get a soft sword and rubber hand which is more of a pain in the ass then just using the hairdryer.

Great review as always!
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes