Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mattel Lost Imp (as Treasure Chest) at SDCC?

Mattel Lost Imp (as Treasure Chest) at SDCC?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. I looked through the first page of discussions and didn't see anything mentioned. I'm old though so maybe I missed it.

We couldn't make SDCC and decided to pre-order a Filmation Hordak with Imp (as Treasure Chest) via eBay. We received an e-mail this morning from the seller that Mattel had misplaced the bagged Imp (as Treasure Chest) leaving them unavailable during SDCC. Apparently they'll be mailing them out in 30-60 days.

We're just curious if the story checks out and the seller is on the up and up. Anyone else have this issue?

I've seen them popping up on eBay already (in-hand pics), so I don't think that info is too accurate.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Yes, they ran short on Imps and also the Monster High jackets that were supposed to be given away with each of those exclusives. They were available sporadically a few different days during SDCC, but a lot of people had to give their shipping information to Mattel and were told they would be shipped to them within 30-60 days. I'm not sure why it would take so long, but maybe they are contracting with Digital River to handle fulfillment

Wow, how do you run out of something that's been pre-ordered?
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Ugh, sounds like a mess. I would have been mad if I had been there and they didn't have it available.

I won an auction today for an Imp Chest (just the chest) for about $36. Yeah, it's a lot for just that accessory, but I wanted one. It is what it is. I'll be buying Hordak when he goes on sale on Matty... I plan to get 2 or 3 of him anyway for some customizing purposes.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Alright, thank you all for the feedback. I hadn't seen anything on any of the sites about the shortage so wasn't a 100% and I hadn't purchased anything from this individual in the past. Although they have a very good rating the 30-60 day window made me nervous because it pushes this outside of PayPal dispute range if I get shafted.

Guess we'll wait and see.

I preordered both Filmation Hordak and the chest from an eBay seller. I haven't got shipping notification or an email to say that the seller couldn't procure one from the con.

So I'm waiting with baited breath to see whether my particular seller was one of the lucky ones.

They're quite a big seller of SDCC items so I'm hoping they will have been lucky.
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Yes. I can confirm as we opened each day's pallets the expected treasure chest master cartons were not there on some days. We are working to figure out why and what happened, and will do everything humanly possibly to mail the chests out to all preorder customers who did not get one and those who received a "imp ticket" at the sale booth with their Hordak purchase So sorry for the inconvenience. Obviously not to plan but one we will and can fix! Please just give us a little time as we work to resolve this unexpected issue.

As someone that had to purchase from a third party all I can do is hope this gets sorted out quicker than the 30-60 day window and that my seller is honest enough to send me my chest. I went this route instead of waiting for Early Access just for the chest.

EDIT: Oh, and thank you Scott for stepping in and providing Official Confirmation.

I went this route instead of waiting for Early Access just for the chest.
    Sorry to appear dumb, but have I missed something? Is the chest itself available from Mattycollector, and no longer a perk of going to the con? Can people who weren't there now get a chest through Matty, or were you talking about getting the presage voucher prior to SDCC?

Quote Originally Posted by karg182 View Post
    Sorry to appear dumb, but have I missed something? Is the chest itself available from Mattycollector, and no longer a perk of going to the con? Can people who weren't there now get a chest through Matty, or were you talking about getting the presage voucher prior to SDCC?
    I had, originally, planned on waiting for the August 4th Early Access to pick-up the carded Filmation Hordak with Imp. Instead I went the eBay reseller route just because of Imp (as Treasure Chest) and paid a bit more. Now we may end up without it after all.

Apologies to the original poster (I'm glad your more at ease knowing there was indeed a problem with the chest) however I find this absolutely hilarious! Here's us mad that non SDCC attendees could not buy the chest, but now it turns out that those attending the convention couldn't either!

A friend was meant to be picking one up for me, but hearing this he probably couldn't get the Imp chest for me. Ah well, it is what it is. Even the simplest of tasks such as distribution of a Burger King style toy is too much for Mattel to handle. Rather than be upset, I actually find it hilarious!
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Yes. I can confirm as we opened each day's pallets the expected treasure chest master cartons were not there on some days. We are working to figure out why and what happened, and will do everything humanly possibly to mail the chests out to all preorder customers who did not get one and those who received a "imp ticket" at the sale booth with their Hordak purchase So sorry for the inconvenience. Obviously not to plan but one we will and can fix! Please just give us a little time as we work to resolve this unexpected issue.
    Thanks, Scott! That's fast action in getting on the threads this morning to stave off the inevitable rumor mill.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

I can see the humor in the situation and at this point I'm reserving being angry. The eBay seller hasn't shafted me at this point. He was denied the opportunity to complete the order at this point. Hopefully he fulfills the order once he has the product in hand. If he doesn't then my temper will flare up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmelton78 View Post
    I can see the humor in the situation and at this point I'm reserving being angry. The eBay seller hasn't shafted me at this point. He was denied the opportunity to complete the order at this point. Hopefully he fulfills the order once he has the product in hand. If he doesn't then my temper will flare up.
    I don't think the eBay seller is the problem... it's whether Mattel actually keep to their promise and mail out the Imp boxes. Also I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at Mattel
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Turns out the Imp tickets were scarce as they were no longer giving those out Saturday morning! All what was said was that they're out of the Imp chests!

Huge fail on Mattel, acting like a lesser class company!
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Thanks, Scott! That's fast action in getting on the threads this morning to stave off the inevitable rumor mill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Judas View Post
    Turns out the Imp tickets were scarce as they were no longer giving those out Saturday morning! All what was said was that they're out of the Imp chests!

Huge fail on Mattel, acting like a lesser class company!
    Seems someone was a little quick in giving out Kudos. The second quote seems more like what I expected. How do you run out of tickets? Were they THAT short on Imp chests? This stuff wouldn't happen if they didn't try to make an SDCC exclusive (by this, I mean the Imp Chest being separately bagged)... Learn from this Mattel, learn from this...
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    I don't think the eBay seller is the problem... it's whether Mattel actually keep to their promise and mail out the Imp boxes. Also I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at Mattel
    I didn't take that you were laughing at me but at the situation which, as you described, is quite comical.

My only worry is if this had been my typically eBay seller than I know he'd come through with either my product or some kind of compensation. I've been buying Classics from him for almost four years now. With this being someone I've never had dealings with though and the information coming out about the scarcity of the tickets and so forth I have my fears.

This seller could decide to go any number of directions and I paid an additional 30/USD over what my regular seller was asking for the standard carded Filmation Hordak just to insure we had the Treasure Chest as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmelton78 View Post
    I didn't take that you were laughing at me but at the situation which, as you described, is quite comical.

My only worry is if this had been my typically eBay seller than I know he'd come through with either my product or some kind of compensation. I've been buying Classics from him for almost four years now. With this being someone I've never had dealings with though and the information coming out about the scarcity of the tickets and so forth I have my fears.

This seller could decide to go any number of directions and I paid an additional 30/USD over what my regular seller was asking for the standard carded Filmation Hordak just to insure we had the Treasure Chest as well.
    Remember that if the seller can't fulfil your order (that is, everything you purchased) by a certain amount of time, you have the right to cancel the order through Paypal.

I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't have to pay extra shipping costs to get the Imp Treasure Chest either. I don't know the exact rules regarding how long you can leave it before asking for your money back, but I think it's 28 days as a limit. That's what I'll be intending to do if the guy i've ordered from hasn't managed to get one. I don't feel bad about doing that. It's just the way it is. I've paid a good price -international shipping was reasonable too. But knowing my luck my seller is probably one of the people who couldn't manage to get one

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    Seems someone was a little quick in giving out Kudos. The second quote seems more like what I expected. How do you run out of tickets? Were they THAT short on Imp chests? This stuff wouldn't happen if they didn't try to make an SDCC exclusive (by this, I mean the Imp Chest being separately bagged)... Learn from this Mattel, learn from this...
    I personally went to SDCC on Sunday and inquired about the IMO chests, and I was told they had run out of them, no mention of these "Imp tickets" this time. None were given on Saturday morning and definitely none on Sunday (was a long shot but no explanation given). Scott really needs to address as he is saying something that didn't quite happen on the weekend. Maybe Thursday & Friday attendees were the privileged ones.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

I contacted my eBay seller; luckily he scored my Imp chest!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

My particular seller intends to ship Filmation Hordak as soon as he gets back into town from the convention and then follow-up with a free of charge shipment containing Imp (as Treasure Chest) when it's in hand.

Considering this was pre-ordered late June, when the vouchers became available I believe, my window is just about closed, if not already passed. I'm thinking of taking the stance that I chose a seller with a 100% feedback rating and give him the benefit of a doubt that he's a good seller and see where it goes.

It's a gamble and I don't want to be on the losing end but at this point it's six scenarios one way and a half dozen the other.

- - - Updated - - -

So, this is what I just did.

Not knowing if my particular seller is strictly a reseller or a fellow collector I let them know about this forum post, what we're hearing from Scott and other attendees and if he had a contingency plan in case he never receives the product.

I figure open up the line of communication and be a good sport about a potentially bad situation.

Tmelton78, please keep us updated regarding how you get on! I think it all rests on whether Mattel will actually send out the replacements; I'm pretty sure that they will but it must be very frustrating. Think I'll give my seller the chance to get back to where he lives after the con, and contact him next week or something. My reseller's eBay handle starts with siren_sales, so if anyone watching this thread hears anything, please let us know

wow, that's a major **** up. sorry to hear that happened.