Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mara Discussion Thread

Evil and sees Everything. Someone Else's Avatar
    Somewhere between Science and Superstition.

Mara Discussion Thread

I have been watching the development of the new female buck issue for a long time and with alot of interest. And I recently remember that it was stated that there would be atleast 1 NA character included in 2011 club eternia subscription. And as we all know there are also 2 female figures remaining to be revealed for 2011. So, it stands to reason that one of the females would be from New Adventures. It was also said that the New adventures figure would be a Galactic Guardian.

So I did some digging and the only figure that I could find from the NA toyline was some images of this Mara prototype. These images are from the www.greyskulmuseum.com. site. Under the NA prototypes section.

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/NA/protosection.htm

Once I looked closely at this I could immidiatly see alot of similarites between this prototype design, and the buck development FH have recently implimented with the BattleGround Teela figure. The way in which the Legs connect to the hip joint is vitually the same in both figures, and also, if you look at the shape of the Torso, it is practically the same as Battle Ground Teela also. All that would needed to make Mara is a new top rather than a Golden Bra, Some new boots, and a new head. And 1 smaller arm bracelet.

So, after thinking about it, im pretty confident that if Mara will most likely be one of the Females for the later part of 2011. What do you all think?

I'll be excited to get a new female, but i do not know anything about this character since i was not an NA fan. Does anyone know anything or have more infomation about her and her role in the story?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Last we heard her rights were "up in the air," but I would totally love to get her.

Battleground Teela's body makes her a really easy figure to make too!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

i too had actually considered the idea that Mara could be a female we get this year. Otherwise the fall is going to be very hero heavy. 1) heroic Master 1) Galactic Guardian and 1) female and the only evil female there currently are rights for is Entrapta and i can't see doing another Horde member so closely after Leech and Catra. Unless the variant for fourth quarter is Evil-Lyn.

From a logic point of view, you are so on the right track and i so hope you are right...

BUT

There is this weird thing about her Prototype and the rights.

As far as i´ve learnt the last few month her prototype design was lost and that´s why they don´t have the rights for her character and design.

That´s what they call legal Limbo.

It makes no sense and it shows that female characters aren´t important enough as opposite to Darius Prototype they seem to have looked out for his Prototype and that´s why he is possible.

I know i sound a bit bitter but actually i am. She would have been a great figure if you ask me.

GO MARA !

This was my thought too — that we would be getting NA Mara. This settle a slot for a woman character and provide one for the NA in one swoop. This please two factions of the MOUTC fandom.

This character looks fascinating, besides that mace on the end of hair makes me think of "The Nutcracker" for some reason.

Oh the rights issues. Ha! i should have guessed things would not be that simple. But either way I'm very open minded to the prospect of this character in MOTUC and I hope she gets developed. She seems like the most interesting of the Galactic Guardian figures toys to me, personally. But what did she actually do in NA? I'd never seen or heard of her before. What were he powers and her abilities?
    Someone Elses Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RhythmShift

The outfit on the prototype is actually more risqué than what's shown in the cartoon, but they still have some similarities. Mara doesn't get the spiked-ball hair and warrior look until later in the the series, when she becomes ambassador to the Galactimytes. - These short stackable characters.

The reason I believe the rights are up in the air is because, unlike Darius and some of the other unproduced characters, she was never featured on any official Mattel packaging, in a catalog etc. And while there is a prototype figure of her, it's a painted hardcopy (made of heavy material...probably resin), and they don't stamp the Mattel name or copyright at that stage of the figure-making process. As far as I know, there are no molds/test shots/final production pieces that exist. Soooo, if Mattel no longer has the paperwork proving they worked on her at one time, that could definitely be a reason why they're hesitant to do her. ...But I'm hopeful they will eventually get the rights to characters from that series.

This is all so interesting. I mean..Masters of the Universe in itself is a very rich and mysterious world. But it seems like the "real world" in which surrounds the creation of these figures and concepts that were developed is equally as mysterious...:/

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Nobody here really knows what Mattel has or hasn't. That's an internal matter. They haven't said NO to Mara. So anything is up in the air.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

My thought is that we will get her eventually, especially if Mattel and Classic Media have a deal worked out now (Classic Media not only owns the rights to the Filmation cartoons but also to NA, which means they own the Mara design).

I think she will likely look a little Like that prototype figure but also come with some removable robes so that she can be made to look like her early-cartoon design.

She could have two heads too.

She is unlikely to be the final 2011 female though.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    She is unlikely to be the final 2011 female though.
    Theoretically, since we've seen all we're gonna see until SDCC, if they do announce Classic Media rights at the panel, then Mara's got just as good of a chance as anyone else does at being the final 2011 gal.

Unless you know something. Then I'll be expecting a PM shortly.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I think she will likely look a little Like that prototype figure but also come with some removable robes so that she can be made to look like her early-cartoon design.

She could have two heads too.
    I think that would be a cool idea. I mean, she basically has 3 unique looks.

Prototype:

First half of NA cartoon:

Second half of NA cartoon:

She even had a crown:

Side note: There are barely any NA pictures on the internet.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; May 9, 2011 at 02:48am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Thanks for uploading those images Darkspectre. Yes, once i saw this figure I started looking around for more info on the character and there really is nothing... :/

Well, they did say that there are 4 major announcments to be made at SDCC...so..there is still a chance that the rights issues may be one of them.

Heroic Warrior
    I thought Mara was "in legal limbo" or something similar !?

Of course, we never got any decent explanation why it was the case...

I guess it might be Mara, but there are very few chances it's actually her the Galactic Guardian for 2011. But they now have the BG Teela belly that could be used for Mara, so I guess Mara could be made IF she's not in legal limbo anymore... Mara was not trademarked yet, though.

To be honest, I personally think that the NA figure this year will be either Hydron or Darius. This is based on the trademarks.
    Last edited by Prahvus; May 8, 2011 at 07:12pm.

A big fan of Slush Head
    I hope so! Wouldn't that be awesome?
    I'd pick her up in a second! She is supposed to be in legal limbo but we don't know if something changed in the last couple of months.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Not bad. I would probably buy her.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

As much as I'd LOVE to get her... I don't think Mattel has the rights to her right now.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    If we did get Mara I would hope it would be the outfit from the second half of the cartoon. A toga just is not very exciting.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I think they can since the prototype does exist and Mattel registered the prototype back in the 90's. It really hasn't been that long technically and they can just name her "Galactic Protector Mara" or something to that extent.

I don't see what the real problem would be. The prototype and the NA cartoon version looks different in clothes. Matty could probably do it.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

You know...I think I might just break out my NA DVDs and try to take some screen captures of Mara...because I'm pretty depressed there are barely ANY pictures of her (or anything from the cartoon really), on the internet.

EDIT: I added two screen caps I took of her. I'll take more later.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; May 9, 2011 at 02:49am.

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    and Mattel registered the prototype back in the 90's. It really hasn't been that long technically and they can just name her "Galactic Protector Mara" or something to that extent.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about a trademark? I don't see one for Mara in connection with Mattel.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone Else View Post
    And I recently remember that it was stated that there would be atleast 1 NA character included in 2011 club eternia subscription. And as we all know there are also 2 female figures remaining to be revealed for 2011. ?
    Did I miss something? I thought there was only 1 female remaining for '11, not 2? (There would be four in total, I thought, not counting She-Ra 2.0, so with Catra, Battleground Teela, and Queen Marlena, that only leaves 1.)

What we know about the last three figures are:
    1 is female
    1 is a Master
    1 is a Galactic Guardian
    (which is not to say that one of the figures mightn't fit two of those categories.)

All that said, I'd definitely be interested in a Mara figure, but I'd really like to see Flipshot and Hydron first for the Guardians.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    Did I miss something? I thought there was only 1 female remaining for '11, not 2? (There would be four in total, I thought, not counting She-Ra 2.0, so with Catra, Battleground Teela, and Queen Marlena, that only leaves 1.)

1 is female
    1 is a Master
    1 is a Galactic Guardian
    (which is not to say that one of the figures mightn't fit two of those categories.)

All that said, I'd definitely be interested in a Mara figure, but I'd really like to see Flipshot and Hydron first for the Guardians.
    Good point. I forgot to include Marlena because she is not in the subscription. But you are right.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post

1 is female
    1 is a Master
    1 is a Galactic Guardian
    Can't really - using the MYP definition of "the Masters" as "the team led by He-Man/M@A" as they apparently are, the only female Master is Teela (varianted this year already), and there are no female GGs/GPs available to them at all. As a result, the only way there could be such an overlap was if the Q4 variant turned out to be NA He-Man...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I like Toga Mara better than Warrior Mara.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)