Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59

Thread: Classics mini-comics

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    154

    Classics mini-comics

    How many different classics mini-comics have been made, including variant covers? I'm trying to track them all down. I think there are just three with #1 having a black and white variant cover, right? And we have what, one more to look forward to with King He-Man?
    Here's what I am looking for:
    200x
    MOTUC

  2. #2
    SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by lightsyder View Post
    How many different classics mini-comics have been made, including variant covers? I'm trying to track them all down. I think there are just three with #1 having a black and white variant cover, right? And we have what, one more to look forward to with King He-Man?
    Well, there are only 3 mini comics in total so far (1 came with Thunder-Punch He-Man; 1 with Snake-Man-At-Arms; 1 with Dragon-Blaster Skeletor). And then, yep, the fourth one next year with King He-Man.

    So, in total there will be 4.

    The B/W variant cover you refer to, wasn't actually a mini-comic as far as I am aware. I think it was a print of the new DC comic (which is unrelated story-wise). There's a thread on here for those comics (tho I wonder if that thread should have it's own board, cause It's not really anything to do with Classics after all?)(Maybe that would cause less confusion?)
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

  3. #3
    Adora's Father dorrmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fountain, CO
    Posts
    11,161
    The black and white comic was given in SDCC and has nothing to do with the mini comics. It was a printing of the digital #1 along with the regular print #1.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

    Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior goluphi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,326
    What's the names of the mini comics included with tp he-man and smaa?
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior whbinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,004
    The names? "The Legend Begins" and "He-Ro Unleashed"

    They're the first two parts of the three part series that ends with DB Skeletor. A great little three part series. More can be found here.

    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/sub...d=52&subid=133

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior goluphi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,326
    Thanks for that. Is there any difference between "The Legend Begins" mini-comic from MOTUC: http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=4330

    And the original one: http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=1067? Or is it only the covers that are similar?
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

  7. #7
    Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Painesville, Ohio
    Posts
    15,053
    Short answer?

    They are similar, but not the same. The new one is a remake of the original. They are not in continuity with each other.

    medium length answer...

    The story that makes up parts 2 and 3 where conceived of by Toyguru and do not reflect what would have originally happened in the (apparently never written) original 1987 mini comics.The Bios and the mini comics and subscription maps & poster are all part of Toyguru's canon. He picks and chooses plot points from previous versions of MOTU but his canon is NOT in continuity with past MOTU stories.

    For example He-Ro's development name was Grayskull. The "G" on Tytus' chest was his symbol, as seen in concept art.
    The young man's name shortened to Gray and he got the alternate identity of He-Ro (probably due to Mattel's marketing and Lou/Filmation collaboration, but the details are lot to time) but then 1987 came and went and no He-Ro, No Eldor and no Powers of Grayskull. everything ended on a cliffhanger!

    Flash forward to the early 2000's and we see the concept of He-Man's ancestor Grayskull revised and we get the character of an older King Grayskull. Both similar (and yet not) to He-Ro is many, many ways! In fact the comics of this era would have made them one and the same person! That would have caused some strange continuity errors to pop up, but it also would have expanded the story from Grayskull's youth to his death in his (middle?) age of his life. Fans speculated endlessly how they should be woven together, one preceding the other and how they might be related...

    Then Scott entered the picture. He threw EVERYTHING out about He-Ro, renamed him (from Gray to Ro) and gave him a brand new back story. It is this version we finally get to see in action in these comics. However it it not the He-Ro we wold have gotten in 1987... Similar...but different...because it is a remake.
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; February 1, 2014 at 04:11am.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

    'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    548
    LFE, your explanation is great and looks like it's trying to be unbiased, but I get the overall impression that you're not happy with the way MOTUC world-building was handled. Is that right? Or am I inferring something that isn't there?

    Just curious, is all. Thanks for the cliffsnotes version, it's cool to see it put so succinctly.
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

    My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

  9. #9
    Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Posts
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by guy-dude View Post
    LFE, your explanation is great and looks like it's trying to be unbiased, but I get the overall impression that you're not happy with the way MOTUC world-building was handled. Is that right? Or am I inferring something that isn't there?

    Just curious, is all. Thanks for the cliffsnotes version, it's cool to see it put so succinctly.
    I think his tone is negative, but only in a way that clearly puts it across that Scott's revision of the Powers of Grayskull is not the original intended story/character.

    But it is a point of contention that Scott's version of He-Ro was so far removed from the original concept. I can see why, in this conversation, the negativity toward Scott's revision may be legitimate, and hard to mask.
    My 2016 Wishlist:

    2.0s: HE-MAN, Teela
    Filmation: KITTRINA, Vultak, Dylamug
    200x: VEENA, Prahvus
    NA: CRITA, Staghorn, Quakke, Butthead
    Concept: RED BEAST, Tony Guerrero He-Man

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Atomicdios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    638
    With so many subbers saying they wont get a sub in 2015, i think including a mini comic with every sub figure in 2015 will surely bring them back. Food for thought TOYGURU!!

  11. #11
    Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Painesville, Ohio
    Posts
    15,053
    My intended tone was Walter Cronkite meets Joe Friday. Just the facts. Your take away should have ONLY been that.
    Quote Originally Posted by guy-dude View Post
    unbiased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    Scott's revision of the Powers of Grayskull is not the original intended story/character.
    I think understanding how we are perceived by others is as important as how we perceive others to be. If everybody had a mutual understanding of each other then conflict would never need to occur. In that spirit, please use quotes to show me what parts of post do you perceive to be filled with opinion, personal bias or negativity? I had 3 different drafts of that post, each successive draft more Vulcan like then the previous one.

    Quote Originally Posted by guy-dude View Post
    I get the overall impression that you're not happy with the way MOTUC world-building was handled.
    While I appreciate your interest in my personal opinions, I do feel that it has no bearing on my previous post.
    My opinions on that matter are no secret, I would love to discuss them further, but is this the appropriate thread for that?

    Quote Originally Posted by guy-dude View Post
    Is that right?
    You are not wrong. Why do you ask? What is your opinion on the subject?

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    I think his tone is negative, but only in a way that clearly puts it across that Scott's revision of the Powers of Grayskull is not the original intended story/character.
    I fail to comprehend how you infer negativity from my post. I find this EXTREMELY perplexing since I bent over backwards in order to NOT be negative!

    Is your opinion that

    1. Scott changed stuff = Negativity.
    2. Me pointing out a fact (that Scott changed stuff) = negativity.
    3. Other: please explain.


    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    But it is a point of contention that Scott's version of He-Ro was so far removed from the original concept. I can see why, in this conversation, the negativity toward Scott's revision may be legitimate, and hard to mask.
    My post was as passive as can be so I would say it is more of a point of order rather then "a point of contention".
    I'm assuming that the negativity you are perceiving is derived from "option 1", If that is true, wouldn't that make any contention originate from Scott who feel the need to fix what isn't broken?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Atomicdios View Post
    With so many subbers saying they wont get a sub in 2015, i think including a mini comic with every sub figure in 2015 will surely bring them back. Food for thought TOYGURU!!
    That's a noble idea. I certainly want more mini comics. I'd love it if they would get Larry Ditillo to come back! He has never written MOTU comics before, but that guy knows how to world build!
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

    'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

  12. #12
    Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Posts
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    My intended tone was Walter Cronkite meets Joe Friday. Just the facts. Your take away should have ONLY been that... I fail to comprehend how you infer negativity from my post. I find this EXTREMELY perplexing since I bent over backwards in order to NOT be negative!

    Is your opinion that

    1. Scott changed stuff = Negativity.
    2. Me pointing out a fact (that Scott changed stuff) = negativity.
    3. Other: please explain.


    My post was as passive as can be so I would say it is more of a point of order rather then "a point of contention".
    I'm assuming that the negativity you are perceiving is derived from "option 1", If that is true, wouldn't that make any contention originate from Scott who feel the need to fix what isn't broken?
    Actually, it just came from the wording "Then Scott entered the picture. He threw EVERYTHING out about He-Ro". It reads bitter, even if it wasn't intentional. It's extreme hyperbole, because Scott threw out a lot of his backstory, but he didn't throw out *everything*. So that was not an objective position for you to take. You'll notice I did try to defend your post's factual merits, as it "clearly puts it across that Scott's revision of the Powers of Grayskull is not the original intended story/character."

    But it definitely felt that after 2 paragraphs of relatively emotionless, fact-based history on He-Ro, the last paragraph had hints of 'and then that all got swept away... by Scot (dun dun dun)'. Sorry that I misread you there.
    My 2016 Wishlist:

    2.0s: HE-MAN, Teela
    Filmation: KITTRINA, Vultak, Dylamug
    200x: VEENA, Prahvus
    NA: CRITA, Staghorn, Quakke, Butthead
    Concept: RED BEAST, Tony Guerrero He-Man

  13. #13
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,689
    We have the Powers of Grayskull 3 parter and the Origin of Skeletor.

    Coming in March with the Unnamed One is the mini-comic is the tale of how Skeletor is ultimately defeated.

    So we'll have FIVE in total.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

  14. #14
    Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    1,853
    I wish we had more MOTUC canon comics! Can't wait to read the one that comes with the Unnamed One!


  15. #15
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,689
    Quote Originally Posted by PaTrIcKfOgArTy View Post
    I wish we had more MOTUC canon comics! Can't wait to read the one that comes with the Unnamed One!
    Nice visual aid, Patrick.

    Yes, at least these mini-comics have familiar designs and settings.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

  16. #16
    Spec'to'matic! Toyguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    750
    One of the big reasons He-Ro was "changed" from the original concept of being He-Man's direct forefather was because of the introduction of King Grayskull into the franchise with MYP ep 35. Classics (and the "bio/mini comic story") was always created as a marketing tool to justify the greatest number of characters as therefore potential figures.

    We wanted to include figures of both He-Ro and King Grayskull while maintaining their equal importance to Eternian history and He-Man's origin. The compromise was to make Grayskull the origin of the bloodline and He-Ro the bringer of the Sword.

    incidently, for those who are fans of the "Gray" real name and the Most Powerful Wizard in the Universe area of He-Ro's adventures, we did deliberetly leave a window for that. there is a hint out there already with more to be revealed in the not to distant future.

    Also, we do have a 6th mini planned for 2015, in fact I just got finished copies in! We look forward to revealing it at Sdcc!

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior King Tamusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    One of the big reasons He-Ro was "changed" from the original concept of being He-Man's direct forefather was because of the introduction of King Grayskull into the franchise with MYP ep 35. Classics (and the "bio/mini comic story") was always created as a marketing tool to justify the greatest number of characters as therefore potential figures.

    We wanted to include figures of both He-Ro and King Grayskull while maintaining their equal importance to Eternian history and He-Man's origin. The compromise was to make Grayskull the origin of the bloodline and He-Ro the bringer of the Sword.

    incidently, for those who are fans of the "Gray" real name and the Most Powerful Wizard in the Universe area of He-Ro's adventures, we did deliberetly leave a window for that. there is a hint out there already with more to be revealed in the not to distant future.

    Also, we do have a 6th mini planned for 2015, in fact I just got finished copies in! We look forward to revealing it at Sdcc!
    But, after his introduction, King Grayskull died. How could be the forefather of Adam if he never had any heir's to his throne? Veena takes the sword into the Castle after his death and she becomes "the first sorceress" according to MYP.

    That was a big loophole that was poorly thought out in the 200X cartoon series, if you ask me.

    He-Ro should have been the main star and ancestor of Adam. If King Grayskull needed to be introduced to explain where the castle came from, fine. But he could have been a barbarian king that was an ally to He-Ro, the way Man-At-Arms is ally to He-Man.

  18. #18
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,689
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    But, after his introduction, King Grayskull died. How could be the forefather of Adam if he never had any heir's to his throne? Veena takes the sword into the Castle after his death and she becomes "the first sorceress" according to MYP.

    That was a big loophole that was poorly thought out in the 200X cartoon series, if you ask me.

    He-Ro should have been the main star and ancestor of Adam. If King Grayskull needed to be introduced to explain where the castle came from, fine. But he could have been a barbarian king that was an ally to He-Ro, the way Man-At-Arms is ally to He-Man.
    Veena could have been pregnant with Grayskull's unborn child.

    MYP didn't plan on having the plug pulled out from under them, after all. We could have seen more of that period in later episodes.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Was He-Ro supposed to be related to He-Man at all? He still is the first recipient of the Power and the leader of the Masters until Hordak kills him.

    Wait. I see it. Never mind.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

  19. #19
    The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    One of the big reasons He-Ro was "changed" from the original concept of being He-Man's direct forefather was because of the introduction of King Grayskull into the franchise with MYP ep 35. Classics (and the "bio/mini comic story") was always created as a marketing tool to justify the greatest number of characters as therefore potential figures.

    We wanted to include figures of both He-Ro and King Grayskull while maintaining their equal importance to Eternian history and He-Man's origin. The compromise was to make Grayskull the origin of the bloodline and He-Ro the bringer of the Sword.

    incidently, for those who are fans of the "Gray" real name and the Most Powerful Wizard in the Universe area of He-Ro's adventures, we did deliberetly leave a window for that. there is a hint out there already with more to be revealed in the not to distant future.

    Also, we do have a 6th mini planned for 2015, in fact I just got finished copies in! We look forward to revealing it at Sdcc!
    Great news about the next classics mini-comic!!! Who did the art for the new one?

  20. #20
    Master of Yuletide MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    8,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Also, we do have a 6th mini planned for 2015, in fact I just got finished copies in! We look forward to revealing it at Sdcc!
    That is awesome news!
    As we express our gratitude,
    we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

    ~John F. Kennedy

  21. #21
    Spec'to'matic! Toyguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    But, after his introduction, King Grayskull died. How could be the forefather of Adam if he never had any heir's to his throne? Veena takes the sword into the Castle after his death and she becomes "the first sorceress" according to MYP.

    That was a big loophole that was poorly thought out in the 200X cartoon series, if you ask me.

    He-Ro should have been the main star and ancestor of Adam. If King Grayskull needed to be introduced to explain where the castle came from, fine. But he could have been a barbarian king that was an ally to He-Ro, the way Man-At-Arms is ally to He-Man.
    He could have been yes, but 200X clearly made King Grayskull the ancestor and we wanted to ensure in Classics He-Ro was also an important part of He-Man's origin now that the ancestor role was taken by a new character introduced in 2002.

    And yes, it is safe to assume Veena was pregnant at the time of King Grayskull's death.

  22. #22
    Totally Dyslexic Niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    He could have been yes, but 200X clearly made King Grayskull the ancestor and we wanted to ensure in Classics He-Ro was also an important part of He-Man's origin now that the ancestor role was taken by a new character introduced in 2002.

    And yes, it is safe to assume Veena was pregnant at the time of King Grayskull's death.
    Now those are answers i like to read.

    Combining stories so they make sense give everyone a purpose plus clarifying up when Veena got pregnant and open up more potential stories.

    Who ever this child is, most likely a boy, he(she) never knew his(her) father and grew up in Castle Grayskull so much story potential. I love it!
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither


  23. #23
    Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    1,853
    Quote Originally Posted by toyguru View Post
    also, we do have a 6th mini planned for 2015, in fact i just got finished copies in! We look forward to revealing it at sdcc!
    this.just.made.my.day - thank you!!!

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    He could have been yes, but 200X clearly made King Grayskull the ancestor and we wanted to ensure in Classics He-Ro was also an important part of He-Man's origin now that the ancestor role was taken by a new character introduced in 2002.
    Personally, I think making them contemporary was something of a mistake, if only because a) it winds up diminishing both of them, and b) their styles and eras seem so different. He-Ro and the Powers of Grayskull feels like dawn-of-time stuff to me, while King Grayskull seems more 'grounded'. It's like mythic vs. Conan-style. The only point of real contact is the Snake Men, and that could be solved by making them a recurrent menace--after all, 200X strongly suggested that they were functionally immortal.

    But, I've been reconciled to multiple canons for thirty years at this point, so while I don't like the bios' canon that much (although there's some good ideas in there), I don't resent it either. It is what it is.

  25. #25
    Lord of the Patch baronterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    4,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    Personally, I think making them contemporary was something of a mistake, if only because a) it winds up diminishing both of them, and b) their styles and eras seem so different. He-Ro and the Powers of Grayskull feels like dawn-of-time stuff to me, while King Grayskull seems more 'grounded'. It's like mythic vs. Conan-style. The only point of real contact is the Snake Men, and that could be solved by making them a recurrent menace--after all, 200X strongly suggested that they were functionally immortal.

    My idea of how He-Ro & Grayskull work together isnt official or anything I wish it were. I see He-Ro being the original hero on Eternia. In his old age he became a mentor to young Grayskull. Perhaps inspired him?

    I dont see them both being adult men in their prime. I find it more compelling the handing off of one fading light to the next rising star. So certainly He-Ro should be very long lived and his life was cut off early so visually mayhaps he even looked the apparent age of his figure, whereas perhaps Grayskull was younger than the apparent age of his figure though he still looked that mature, also as you say like Conan was described. I see at least a 50 year old He-Ro mentoring & befriending a 15 year old Grayskull.

    No reason that couldnt be the case. They still have their own time in the sun, and though together, they are not specifically contemporaries. I agree I do not like the idea that they are basically the same age and partners. Mentor & Pupil, a handing off of power is how I see it.

    But, I've been reconciled to multiple canons for thirty years at this point, so while I don't like the bios' canon that much (although there's some good ideas in there), I don't resent it either. It is what it is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •