Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After the Goddess, would you want a translucent Jewelstar?

Heroic Warrior

After the Goddess, would you want a translucent Jewelstar?

Well, after all the bad luck with the Goddess figure, would you want another translucent figure like Jewelstar made this way (they promised the shattering won't ever happen again).

What about Krystoll- the prototype figure for Karatti?

Yes, I would. Hopefully they will use the proper plastic for upcoming figures so they won't shatter.

Yes yes yes to both. I've seen translucent figures that aren't fragile, so it can be done.

Yeah, there was a conversation about this in the Star Sisters thread. I certainly want translucence. I know they could make it look cool without it, but I would vote for the translucent plastic. It has been done and has been sturdy, so I know they can do it. The only other weak translucent figure I've ever run into is Iceman from Marvel Legends, but I ran into so many broken ML figures that it didn't surprise me.

So, I think they can do it. It'll be the best option.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Yes, but only if Mattel truly does fix the translucent plastic issue... Currently waiting to hear news on exploding Orange Lantern Lex Luthor... if months go by and no Luthor explodes then I DO!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

No if Mattel can't fix the brittleness of the plastic.

However, Jewelstar definitely needs the translucent plastic so I definitely hope Mattel fixes the brittle plastic!
    Got Fur

I want a Glimmer by the end of 2012 and Extendar by 2013!
    Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor
    PoP: Peekablue, Madam Razz, Lighthope, Kowl
    NA: Quakke, Sagitarr
    MYP: Hawk, Queen Andreenos, Lord Dactys
    Mini-Comics: Kex Queen, Tug-of-War Yellow Warrior, King Hiss' Slave Girl

My goddess has been fine. Either way though, since the one time I got a bad figure they sent me a new one, Id be down.

But at any rate I'd want a clear one if it made sense, even though I got little to no idea who the star sisters are.

I'd say an emphatic YES. Jewelstar would not look right if she was not crystalline....
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

We've said this before but let me try to clear it up again. The issues with the Goddess breaking at the legs was due to the sonic wielding or "joining" process. The same thing happened with DCUC Wave 3 and 4 which was produced at the same time. We resolved this issue quickly which is why you haven't seen it repeat itself in either line. We now use a different type of sonic wielding at a lower speed.

The breaking had nothing to do with the plastic being translucent. The breaking and the plastic clarity are independent variables. It was the sonic wielding process that lead to breaking. The plastic was not brittle, but rather microscopic cracks caused by the wielding process lead to breakage at the joint. This happened regardless of how clear the plastic was (as evident by the non translucent figures in DCUC Wave 3 and 4 which had the same issue).

Hope this clarifies this once and for all!

TG

TG, I think that some fans are concerned because the Goddess re-release had figures that broke. But thanks for the clarification; it's a relief to get assurance from you that this issue should no longer be a concern of ours for future figures.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Yes, but only if Mattel truly does fix the translucent plastic issue... Currently waiting to hear news on exploding Orange Lantern Lex Luthor... if months go by and no Luthor explodes then I DO!
    This was exactly what i was thinking, The DCUC wave 17 Lex Luthor is translucent orange and he looks pretty amazing! So this would be a good test.

Thanks Toyguru for the clarification on that. Some people don't understand the whole modeling process.

Stop hating on Mattel. They are doing their best.

Does anyone know if they plan on re-releasing The Goddess Fig?
    Last edited by TongLasher38; May 15, 2011 at 02:06pm. Reason: Wanted to add another question

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    We've said this before but let me try to clear it up again. The issues with the Goddess breaking at the legs was due to the sonic wielding or "joining" process. The same thing happened with DCUC Wave 3 and 4 which was produced at the same time. We resolved this issue quickly which is why you haven't seen it repeat itself in either line. We now use a different type of sonic wielding at a lower speed.

The breaking had nothing to do with the plastic being translucent. The breaking and the plastic clarity are independent variables. It was the sonic wielding process that lead to breaking. The plastic was not brittle, but rather microscopic cracks caused by the wielding process lead to breakage at the joint. This happened regardless of how clear the plastic was (as evident by the non translucent figures in DCUC Wave 3 and 4 which had the same issue).

Hope this clarifies this once and for all!

TG
    Now that you took the time to explain the situation in detail, it does make sense.

Oh, but the cracked torsos on Roboto....I wonder where that comes from. Perhaps careless construction by the people at the factory.
    Last edited by Donimo; May 15, 2011 at 01:58pm.

Heroic Warrior
    No. I don't want translucent figures anymore.

We had 2 figures with translucent parts so far: the Goddess and Roboto. Some fans had the displeasure to experience the fact that BOTH figures had cracks in the translucent parts !

I don't care about the excuses Toyguru finds. To this day, the Goddess IS a defective figure, and the plastic clearly has a major part in the shattering pelvis syndrome (be it bacause of the "sonic wielding process" or not).

Translucent figures are now a major pass for me.
    Last edited by Prahvus; September 9, 2011 at 09:20am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    TG, I think that some fans are concerned because the Goddess re-release had figures that broke. But thanks for the clarification; it's a relief to get assurance from you that this issue should no longer be a concern of ours for future figures.
    The re-release was leftover customer service stock, not a new run of figures. So yeah the re-releases would possibly have the same problem as the original release since they were essentially one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    The re-release was leftover customer service stock, not a new run of figures. So yeah the re-releases would possibly have the same problem as the original release since they were essentially one and the same.
    The confusion about this breakage issue is that some fans bought a new Goddess figure, and it broke as well. Mattel knowingly sold the excess stock with the knowledge that some of them would break. This didn't sit well with consumers.

I did NOT have this issue. But, I refuse to move my Goddess' legs in fear of them breaking. She remains in a specific pose, and I only move her arms a little from time to time.

***I'd also like to add that I've only received one flawed figure and Mattel took care of my issue IMMEDIATELY. Most of the customer service I've received has been satisfactory in that regard.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I like translucent plastic. It's eye catching and brings a new visual element to certain figures that can utilize it. If it was only a one time problem, then by all means go with the translucent!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Yes! I love transluscent figures!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Yes yes yes to both. I've seen translucent figures that aren't fragile, so it can be done.
    My opinion is the same.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Heroic Warrior
    Just a little statement from me: It wasn't my intention to revive the old "Mattel is evil"- discussion when I opened this thread. I took a look at my collection and once more the Goddess got my attention and I just wondered, if there would be more translucent figures.

Sureley there have been a lot of defective figures but this thread was meant to get a good overview if people would want another translucent figure- I stated in my first posting, that Mattel promised this will never happen again - and I trust them.

So, to go back to the topic without blaming anyone for anything anymore - what do you think about Krystoll -if and when- he will make it into the line... should he be translucent?!

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    If the process of producing the Goddess is defective, please Toyguru, I want a NEW GODDESS for FREE or a refund. Is not our fault.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Posting this pic of Crystoll in case some folks don't know what he looks like. Out of curiosity, what kind of background do you think he should have in MOTUC? Should he know of/have some kind of connection to Jewelstar? hehe

The name "Crystoll" should have been a girl, LOL.

I don't even know anything about this character. What is known about him?

Yes plz....ugh plz plz plz

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Posting this pic of Crystoll in case some folks don't know what he looks like. Out of curiosity, what kind of background do you think he should have in MOTUC? Should he know of/have some kind of connection to Jewelstar? hehe

http://www.mastersunbound.com/He-Man...P_Crystoll.jpg
    Thanks for the picture, I just could not remember what he looked like.