Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 047 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 047 Discussion!

Episode 047 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Emiliano Santalucia, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

This is a Four Horsemen filled show as Eric Treadaway joins us to chat about toys, sculpting and more!

Over the course of the show the crew touches on topics such as
    stactions and statues,
    differences between 200x and MOTUC,
    questions about MOTUC sculpting details,
    female toy dress mobility,
    Battle Pigeon and Doom Dove,
    Mattel's input on sculpting,
    movie talk,
    She-Ra's head sculpt
    and He-Man's head sculpt.

MOTUC bios discussed in this show:
    (none)

MOTUC figures discussed in this show:
    Clawful

Intro/Outro info:
    Song: Neurosia
    Album: Paths
    Band: Eeriness
    Available to purchase on Amazon!
    ***Please support these Artists! Many are fans of MOTU and POP, and some are fans here in our community.

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Georg Schwitters also know as THE_RAW on the forums. George is a freelance fine art and commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.myspace.com/georgschwitters

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 2 hour, 11 minutes, 49 seconds

Direct link for Episode 047

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Thank you. Something to start the day with!

And extra long, too!
    Cheers,
    TuShan

My Deviantart Page

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Oh man...I haven't listened to a RGD in a long time (crappy internet and can't find the 2 hours of time), but I HAVE to listen to this one!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I specifically logged on to check if a new episode was posted.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    - Re: sell outs. I think TG explained the reason Mattel does not like the 2 week sell outs because it ends up costing them a lot more money for storage space. I forget when he said it, but he said something to that effect. That's probably why they're cutting down on the re-issues. They were really good for those just getting into the line.

- Really sad to hear about most of the Staction answers. I got Jitsu without a broken ponytail! I opened him though. YAY! Nice to hear Eric say he loves the sidekick guys. Bring on Kowl and Loo-Kee.

- Depressing to hear about how awesome Faker Staction would have been.

- I have no problems with Classics Clawful. I love him. I would have liked an alternate 200X head...but we all know what happened there...

- I liked everything Eric says about the female figures (articulation, soft clothes intention), but a huge "NO!" on the Giganta dress! I have her and that dress is terrible. It's a sticky rubber material and collects dust and other gross things almost like fly paper. I would have been so disappointed with this! Rock hard Teela dress is much better than fly paper! The ball jointed waist would have been cool if it worked correctly. I wonder if they fixed it for Queen Marlena (if she does really have a new internal piece)?

- The 4H's 200X pitch is basically where MOTUC is going now, right? Renegade Masters? Skeletor's in control...

- @ Eric: Skeletor wins and takes over Primus in the New Adventures of He-Man. Hordak took over Etheria too (like you talked about with Star Wars and the Evil Empire...that was the Horde. ).

- Thank you for asking a PoP-related question Emil! I was dying when you guys were talking about the style of figures and PoP wasn't brought up (toys vs. Styleguide vs. hybrids)! Weird that She-Ra's head IS Adora's, but turned out differently. Adora's face is so much prettier! Same with BGT vs. Teela. It could also be the "sweaty face syndrome" (SFS). She-Ra's face (to me) does look a little sunken in, in the middle of the face. Hole-in-the-head face doesn't have that look though. *shrugs*

- Re: hole-in-the-head...I don't recall if I made that woman comment (I know I never made a comment about them being sexist though!), but if I did, I apologize. I was so unhappy with that design choice! They did it right with Catra's head and masks, and they will with She-Ra 2.0, so it's all good now.

I would like to thank Eric for talking to you guys for such a long time and answering all those questions! I can't wait until part two!
    Last edited by Darkspecter; May 20, 2011 at 05:25am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Ooh! This is one I gotta listen to right away!

OMG, and I gotta wait another 8 hours till I can listen to it!
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Wow! The originals are back for this one!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior StraightEdgeHe-Man's Avatar
    Sweet, what a nice surprise to wake up to

The German fan who sent Val Masters of The University etc. could be dualban.

I like when Eric said that 200X was how he interpreted MOTU as an adult, which is exactly where I'm at now and how I feel, as opposed to the Classic line is supposed to evoke the feelings when you were a kid. My tastes have changed and evolved.

Oh boy. The last few minutes of this episode are really opening up a can of worms. I'm not quite sure who Eric is referring to with regards to the comment about the hole in She-Ra's forehead, but I have to say a lot of what I'm hearing is inaccurate.

I think here's the image that Eric was talking about.

I just hate the double standardthat says it's okay for vintage characters to be cartoony, but modern characters are villainized for any cartoon elements.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderPuncher View Post
    Chief Carnivus by a Mile. He looks so much like a disney talking humanoid animal character that he can't possibly fit in with any of the other classics figure which at least retain a sort of retro grit to them. So many always complain that they wanted more strictly 200x figures, but I'm afraid that if you look at Carnivus and realize that that is indeed a straight 200x figure, you must ask yourself if you really want more.

Who has the LEAST cartoony head here?

Okay this is my opinion...

As far as those comments about the vintage line vs 200X, from the 200X fans point of view, stuff gets better over time and perceptions evolve and mature. I don't hate the vintage line, but for the most part, the new designs with unique sculpts made the old parts re-use very simplistic and limited. It's like comparing a drawing you made as a kid with markers compared to the drawing that you can now make with computer coloring. It's comparing Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess with the original Legend of Zelda.

In the vintage line I hated Prince Adam, but 200X made the whole concept alot more tolerable because he looked different from He-Man. I barely noticed Sy-Klone until MYP made him an even better character. As good as vintage Buzz-Off was in the 80's, the 200X Buzz-Off destroyed that design in the present. I'd rather have Man-At-Arms and Mekaneck wearing body armor than spandex. I can go on and on about how 200X made these great characters even more impressive looking.

No, fans liking 200X versions don't mean that they always hated the 80's characters, it means that the new designs and ideas improved most of those old designs. If we hated MOTU, we wouldn't be here.

Heroic Warrior
    I was just going to ask a question on the Four Horsemen's forum that was pretty much answered right here on Roast Gooble It was basically about the decision on styling for vintage characters and how much more detailed "updated" the POP characters are.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    No, fans liking 200X versions don't mean that they always hated the 80's characters, it means that the new designs and ideas improved most of those old designs. If we hated MOTU, we wouldn't be here.
    I think you should say "not all fans liking 200x.."
    Because as you and I both know, there are fans who love 200x and hate the 80s toys and cartoon.

And that's what Eric and the rest of us refereed to. We didn't sum up all 200x fans as being like that.
    You're in the clear, MGM! We know you're not that kind of 200x fan.

Another great show!

Got all the info about the line from the designers which is great to hear past the basic mumbo jumbo from corporations!

I think the figure is a female based on the hesitation on Eric's response (probably my positive thinking.)

A great podcast and hope for more of these in the future when possible. Perhaps even a post SDCC discussion of the unveiled figures?

P.S. Vegemite over Marmite - really lol! Twiglets are great and have the marmite taste. I think the UK and US need to trade Twiglets for Peanut Butter M&Ms!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    What an awesome episode! Iam gratefull that the line is in the Horsemens hands, cause Eric does it exactly the way i like and love it!

Great episode!
    Thanks to Val for asking lots of questions about the Neca stuff as I was really interested in that. Good to a least know why we didn't get that Khan/Faker staction two pack but its a really shame we didn't. Oh man that big Mer-Man statue sounded sweet! and arrrr so close to getting a Spikor staction.

Val PM me your address and I'll send you some Monster Munch, their loads tastier then Twigglets lol.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

A couple of the comments I've been hearing about online "keyboard warriors" are a bit unfair, imo. From what I'm getting out of those conversations, there almost seems to be this notion of: "if you're not willing to say it in person, then you shouldn't be saying it at all!", which I completely disagree with, as some folks are better at articulating their points in written word than orally. So really, a reluctance to discuss something in person shouldn't automatically nullify all that a person has to say. Just something to keep in mind when discussing this topic.

Secondly, I think I butt heads with some folks on these forums because my approach to Mattel and the Four Horsemen is totally different than what's considered the norm. In my mind, the playing field is level; there isn't a preconceived notion that one or the other is better or worse. Mattel isn't automatically the big bad evil corporation to me. The Four Horsemen aren't automatically the shining hope of the line, and free of any wrong-doing, simply because they happen to be fans, super talented, creative etc. And that's where some problems emerge...

When fans are having issues with something related to the sculpting side of things, which Eric says there are no Mattel-issued mandates on (though I'm confused because of the whole Count Marzo fiasco...when they were told to downplay 2002 influence), you really can't refer to the Four Horsemen - The Sculpting Team- collectively when venting, in the same way that folks do with Mattel -The Corporation- Why is that?

Moreover, I do feel like POP fans are sometimes unfairly singled-out as irrational complainers by the Four Horsemen and I just think: "But this is exactly how a lot of MOTU fans react about similar scenarios and you're not telling them to calm down." From what I recall, nobody said the 4H aren't entitled to their favorites, but rather were questioning why most of the MOTU favorites listed in ToyFare were coming out sooner than later, while most of the POP stuff was on the back burner. (They did list some POP favorites) Also, questioning why the sub exclusives, extra non-toyline additions etc. were always MOTU characters. Things of that nature.

I dunno. I think it's normal to sometimes be frustrated.

Anyhoo...I do think things will improve in the future.

I personally would like to have virtually no comedic elements in a Masters movie. I do agree with Eamon, that you could make a good action/comedy Masters movie, but that's not what I want to see right now. Maybe after a proper trilogy, and it could be a straight to DVD release. Now I want a dark, adult movie. I think something in the vein of a more colorful Lord of the Rings would be a good starting place. No camp, no goofiness.

With how long it's taking to get this movie rolling, and the way things are more and more digitized, by the time the movie does come out in 2020 maybe we'll have the option to select which costume our movie He-man is wearing on our BlueRay 3.0 home video release of the movie in 3D holographic high-def.

Wouldn't that be cool? It would be like in the new Green Lantern movie - if they rendered his costume in green, red, etc and you could pick which one you wanted to watch. You could have 200x He-man, Filmation, Vintage toy, maybe even Battle Armor. Like putting a skin on a video game.

I love Classics Clawful. He is my most anticipated announced figure.

I might have heard wrong/be remembering wrong, but did Eric say they presented the 2007 prototype He-Man to Mattel, with their own specially designed packaging?

If so, I would be very interested in seeing it, indeed.

If not, sorry.
    "I SHALL WARN YOU BUT ONCE, EVIL ONE--SPEAK TO ME THE TRUTH 'ERE MY BATTLE AXE FINDS A PLACE TO REST 'TWIXT YOUR FOWL EYES!" -He-Man.

Heroic Warrior
    Hmmmmm, Kindereggs, it's some of my favorite chocolate. Remember building toy stuff, which were in there in my childhood. And it still tastes awesome today

personally, i think clawful was almost perfect - just the shield is a bit too glossy.

a bit of me died inside when u talked about castle grayskull

Fantastic episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    A couple of the comments I've been hearing about online "keyboard warriors" are a bit unfair, imo. From what I'm getting out of those conversations, there almost seems to be this notion of: "if you're not willing to say it in person, then you shouldn't be saying it at all!", which I completely disagree with, as some folks are better at articulating their points in written word than orally. So really, a reluctance to discuss something in person shouldn't automatically nullify all that a person has to say. Just something to keep in mind when discussing this topic.
    "keyboard warriors?" Really?

I haven't listened yet, but now I'm afraid to.

What is any of us supposed to do? Text, TG? Call him up and ask him to lunch? The only time any of us can talk to him, or any of the 4H in person, is at a con. I've only been to one con: NYCC. That was two years ago (Scott wasn't at last year's). He was completely inaccessible because he was surrounded by "fans" on the floor. During the Q&A panel, I and several others did ask good questions. But at that time (2 years ago), there weren't really any problems... Just Digital River. The Goddess hadn't even been released yet.

As for the 4H, other than the snarky comments about POP fans, and Catra's comb-whip design, I have zero problems. However, NO POP fan has ever been inappropriately vocal about what he or she wants in the line... No fan/customer has... Not possible... You have to be vocal... That's a part of being an artist in a commercial milieu: listening to your boss and/or your customers).

Both the 4H and TG communicate regularly with the customer fans via their keyboards. It's completely unfair to rag on anyone for responding I'm kind.

I'll just take the "keyboard warriors" comment as a great indicator that they are hearing EVERYTHING we say when we have an issue. If it didn't get through, it wouldn't be bruising their egos. That is really what comments like that are about in the end. Bruised ego.

Must listen to this - hopefully I didn't misinterpret Tally's comments!!!
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.