Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 047 Discussion!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    We've certainly been getting a lot of new terms since 2008! Vintage Purist™, Matty Apologist™, Keyboard Warrior™. Am I missing any?

EDIT: Era Wars™ might be another one. That's like the Second Ultimate Battleground™ right there.

I actually quite like the sound of "Keyboard Warrior™." It sounds like fighting for what you believe in and getting your voice heard online, but the real meaning is negative.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; May 20, 2011 at 05:48pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    We've certainlu been getting a lot of new terms since 2008! Vintage Purist™, Matty Apologist™, Keyboard Warrior™.

Matty Apologists™ have been around since the 2002 era. I know...I was one! I forgave them and mindlessly collected all of their foolish variants and fugly repaints.
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    To sum up... Val & RGD team & 4H, we listen to the podcast, and we buy the toys... your words are powerful. Unless you're willing to be specific about who you consider a "Keyboard Warrior," maybe it's best not to talk about things like that... and ignore their behavior. Labeling them only validates what they do. Without specifics, anyone who finds him/herself criticized for being vocal might suspect that others consider him/her one of these newly classified undesireables.
    When Eamon said that, he was speaking generally, and didn't label a group of fans or point the finger.

So the only way a person can be offended by what was said is if they think they are person being referenced.
    And if that's so, that person is either guilty or very paranoid.
    If it's the former, then maybe they should tone it down a bit. If it's the later, then they should stop being so paranoid.

So far the majority of people here understood what was meant. I only see you and Tallstar misconstruing it.
    No offense intended! It's just that you are really exaggerating things.

It's time to bring in the love, man!
    You, Tally and other fans contribute a lot of great things to the forum.
    So please don't turn the podcast into a witch hunt. Instead, enjoy it!

I actually quite like the sound of "Keyboard Warrior™." It sounds like fighting for what you believe in and getting your voice heard online, but the real meaning is negative.
    me too, it sounded more like a crack team of elite hackers using Cyberspace to fight the good fight

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I know several people here think I am one of these cowardly avengers... even though I am polite and constructive. Having complaints or criticisms, or disliking the way someone does his job does not automatically equal rudeness. I've never threatened anyone. I've never spoken to anyone in a nasty way. I've used my words... I have strong opinions... and, a lot of people seem to like that.
    In my canon you are a heroic keyboard warrior
    I appreciate people who are vocal in expressing their concerns about this line, which in the end is beneficiary to all fans alike

I smell a new idea for a figure to fight "Battle Pigeon!"

Key-Man!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I feel like you think we were talking about you specifically.
    If not, I apologize. But I get that vibe from your post.
    Eamon made the keyboard warriors comment, and just as Ealo said:
    In a way, I actually did think Eric was using your guys' comments as a jumping off point to maybe indirectly lump me in there, along with others, only because some of what he was saying seemed like crossed wires - a mishmash of comments created out of my posts and other members posts, and then taken out of context to make some POP fans look bad. (i.e. The part where he felt the need to explain about his childhood favorites...He was missing the overall point of what POP fans were trying to say back when this stuff was happening) Perhaps it was unintentional, though.

As for the sexist remarks, I believe that notion emerged out of a thread that I created awhile back with regards to something that the 4H had posted on Facebook. In my initial post, I agreed with some of what they had to say, however, I felt a couple of us brought up valid criticisms throughout that thread...basically questioning why it was always MOTU characters that were being considered for sub exclusives, mini-comic/packaging character slots, why the POP favorites in ToyFare were mostly on the back burner etc. (keep in mind, this was back then... things are probably changing) Some folks were offended by pointing out the favoritism.

I'd like for you to point to where the Four Horsemen said POP fans are singled out as irrational complainers.
    Again, it felt as if your comment about angry-frustrated out-of-line posts was used as a jumping off point to talk about POP fans... which leads to...

You are talking about the Toy Fair show where CB said, and I loosely quote "to all the POP fans whining and complaining about not getting certain characters, don't worry! We'll get to them!" That's not the same as you present it.
    Saying that POP fans are "whining and complaining" isn't negative? He could have merely said: "to all the POP fans asking for certain characters..." At the time, it wasn't that big of a deal to me, but when you string together some of these remarks, it does begin to feel like some sort of resentment.

I'm very certain I made the woman comment, and would like to explain where my thought process was when I made it (because I think it was grossly misinterpreted). I didn't mean "Get rid of the 4H and bring in a team of women!" or anything.
    I recall making a similar comment as well, but more along the lines of me thinking it would've been a good thing to add a hardcore POP person to the team. But again, this was in the context of what was going on at the time.

My heart sank when I heard what Eric had to say about Castle Grayskull.

Speaking of Eric, I have to be honest and say that I kept getting irritated when you guys weren't even asking Eric questions. I mean, you had him on the line, and you guys were talking about Thor, Battle Pigeon, background noises, "Twiglets," and figures that .Orgers had sent Val. Why? Ya'll could talk about that on the other shows. I would have had TONS of questions for him. Grrrrrr.

And, I TOTALLY agree with Emiliano on the notion of those fans thinking vintage designs are horrible being absurd. If there was no vintage, we'd have no 200x. I can understand if you think 200x were improvements (though I generally disagree), but they are vintage interpretations.

I'm glad Eric addressed the "sexist" issue. Saying they are sexist because there have been less females (when there are far less females to begin with--and are generally less-known or popular) is wrong. That's my opinion and no disrespect to anyone. They made a mistake with She-Ra, as Eric indicated, but it is being corrected. The mistake doesn't mean the Horsemen are sexist. Teela, Adora, and Evil Lyn are outstanding figures. I felt bad for the Horsemen when men were making these comments because they weren't getting what they wanted when they wanted.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

bcrduke, have you listened to the podcast yet? It sounds like you're addressing things never said.

lol @ MGM's last picture. Okay, that does paint an entirely different picture! Asking hard/controversial questions in person can be difficult. When I interviewed a future potential leader of Canada I basically had to ask "This group thinks you're an idiot and have no idea what you're talking about, what do you have to say about that?" It was worded more eloquently (about Automatic Banking Machine fees), but still a very hard question to ask. The most uncomfortable question I had to ask though, was to the head of the teachers union when they were striking. It was something like "You say you're striking to help better College student's lives and education, but your strike has the potential to cost students a semester and lots of extra expenses, putting them further into debt. If you really cared about the students, wouldn't you strike during summer break?" That was so hard to ask because the guy was so genuinely nice! The tough questions have to be asked though. There were other uncomfortable questions too...like safety issues in schools when talking with College Presidents. There was a potential attack on our campus and the alarms to warn us did not work properly and their "procedure" allowed a dangerous individual to walk right into the school.

I do agree that most people wouldn't say half of what they do on the internet though. I view the internet like thoughts in our brain. We think things, but wouldn't necessarily say all of them outloud. ...or it's like talking about people behind their backs, but they can read about it later.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; May 20, 2011 at 07:08pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    And, I TOTALLY agree with Emiliano on the notion of those fans thinking vintage designs are horrible being absurd. If there was no vintage, we'd have no 200x. I can understand if you think 200x were improvements (though I generally disagree), but they are vintage interpretations.
    While it's a little harsh, but I think those fans have a point.

We know where they came from, but in comparison, the _________ from 30 years ago is usually going to be inferior to the ______________ from today.

Fill in the blanks with most manufactured things. Cars, computers, toys, sculpting, paint. The toys we have today beat the ones we had 30 years ago. The computers we are using beat the ones from 30 years ago. The cars we are driving beat the ones from 30 years ago.

Hell, the 200X line is inferior to the Classics line as far as figure functionality goes. Design is arguable since 200X had unique sculpts. 200X Zodak might have been more detailed, but MOTUC Zodak is more fun.

Things get better over time.

This is where The Legend of Zelda started:

This is where The Legend of Zelda is now:
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; May 20, 2011 at 07:47pm.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I'm glad Eric addressed the "sexist" issue. Saying they are sexist because there have been less females (when there are far less females to begin with--and are generally less-known or popular) is wrong. That's my opinion and no disrespect to anyone. They made a mistake with She-Ra, as Eric indicated, but it is being corrected. The mistake doesn't mean the Horsemen are sexist. Teela, Adora, and Evil Lyn are outstanding figures. I felt bad for the Horsemen when men were making these comments because they weren't getting what they wanted when they wanted.
    I think MegaGearMax said it best when, in another thread, he posted something to the effect of: Some POP fans sometimes feel the 4H view working on POP as a 'slow day at the office.' (Of course, I'm starting to see some progress/hope for the future) Heck, even Eric admits he's more into the MOTU monsters, robots etc., so was it really a stretch for fans to think POP was potentially at risk of getting short-changed when it came to sub exclusive figures, etc. back then? It was never just about She-Ra.

Is it rude to point out these facts? I dunno. I don't feel I'm being rude when I post this stuff - just telling it like it is - but I do get the impression some folks think poorly of me after-the-fact.

I could probably have an easier time if I just played the game, so to speak. (eg. downplayed my love for POP, mainly talked about what I love about MOTU and tried to blend in when these topics come up, instead of 'voicing' what I'm thinking) Perhaps I'm already on my way with the whole: "I no longer care about She-Ra 2.0's body" thing.

*thumbs up* @ bcrduke

I can't belive no one asked how he felt about great figures he has sculpted like King Hiss and Roboto being assembled wrong and sold faulty to people. Or has this already been addressed by the 4H? I'd love to know how they feel about it.

I understand why classics figures are made to look so close to their 80s counterparts but that doesn't mean I always have to like it. It didn't suprise me how classics Clawful looks but once again, that still doesn't mean I have to like it. Just because I don't like some 80s designs also doesn't mean I don't like the 80s toys in general.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    [...]Things get better over time.

This is where The Legend of Zelda started:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Zelda_NES.PNG

This is where The Legend of Zelda is now:
    http://image.com.com/gamespot/images..._screen009.jpg
    And some prefer this:

Though making a blanket statement like "Things get better over time" isn't necessarily accurate. Using cars as an example: seat belts may be "better" in newer cars, but many older cars are safer in other ways.

I get what you're saying, but there are a lot of factors, many of which are aesthetic and will almost always vary from person to person.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I can't belive no one asked how he felt about great figures he has sculpted like King Hiss and Roboto being assembled wrong and sold faulty to people. Or has this already been addressed by the 4H? I'd love to know how they feel about it.
    That's actually a great question. I don't think it's been asked to them.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Though making a blanket statement like "Things get better over time" isn't necessarily accurate. Using cars as an example: seat belts may be "better" in newer cars, but many older cars are safer in other ways.

I get what you're saying, but there are a lot of factors, many of which are aesthetic and will almost always vary from person to person.
    I thought the same thing about cars! They were made of sturdier components, for the most part. Antiquing is very popular...and also there are things such as Castles, Victorian homes, etc. A lot of the materials used today tend to be inferior to those of yesterday to keep down cost. Things also didn't break as easily as they do today. My mother still uses a 30+ year old fridge, freezer, stove and dryer. My parents got a new washer and dryer, but the new dryer broke after a couple years and she went back to using the old one, which still works perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    And some prefer this:
    http://www.girlgamer.com/site_media/...creenshot.jpeg

You are correct, Josh.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

MGM, just put this in your sig. No need to dance around the subject anymore.

"The Vintage line is horrible" - MGM

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    Whatever happened to the popular phrase "They don't make em like they used to"? Did some of us forget that one?
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Whatever happened to the popular phrase "They don't make em like they used to"? Did some of us forget that one?
    My old black and white television with UHF stations is rotting away in a landfill somewhere while I watch digital cable on a color television.

Yeah, they definitely don't make them like they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Are you going to tell me that the remake of Psycho, with its color & modern movie making techniques, wasn't a million times better than the crummy, old, black & white one with Anthony Perkins? I mean when one thinks Norman Bates, they automatically think of

Even the critics seem to agree. On Rotten Tomatoes the original has a rating of 99% while the remake is at 35%. 35 is a lot closer to #1 so that must be better right?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

My old black and white television with UHF stations is rotting away in a landfill somewhere while I watch digital cable on a color television.
    I think you're missing the big picture here. Some things are better today - some things were better before. And 'better' is largely a matter of opinion anyway. There's no one example that would win this matter over for anyone.

I prefer old cars. I think they look better and were structurally safer. Not to mention way cheaper to fix when something went wrong. Hit another car? Bang out the dent and go home. Hit another car today? That'll be 5000 dollars in repairs to reassemble your entire front end.

Toys? Mostly way better constructed/painted today. But there were some amazing designs way back in the '80s and even in the early '90s that, I feel, blow away most modern stuff.

Either way, it's all a matter of opinion. And even if you love the new, one should always respect where the 'new' got its start. Can't disagree with that, right?

I do agree that most people wouldn't say half of what they do on the internet though. I view the internet like thoughts in our brain. We think things, but wouldn't necessarily say all of them outloud. ...or it's like talking about people behind their backs, but they can read about it later.
    lmao! I'm the first to admit that I probably wouldn't say some of the stuff I do on here in person, but that's mainly because I'm not good at articulating in a way that would get the points across. I would probably forget half of what I was trying to say and embarrass myself. (But I would hope that my comments on here are of some value) I'm actually extremely quiet and more of a listener/observer in person (especially around folks I don't know well), occasionally chiming in with a random golden nugget of information or clever remark when something strikes me. Once I get to know someone well, with the right topic I can get somewhat chatty, but usually other folks do more talking than me.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDamien View Post
    Either way, it's all a matter of opinion. And even if you love the new, one should always respect where the 'new' got its start. Can't disagree with that, right?
    Really, that's a constructed division, because I do not know any 200X fan who doesn't respect the start. Even when considering how ridiculous some of it looks.

I wish you guys would feel this way about Pre-Filmation, if you like the oldest version so much.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDamien View Post
    And even if you love the new, one should always respect where the 'new' got its start. Can't disagree with that, right?
    Correct. I feel the 4H improved upon the original designs for the most part, but those designs did start out in the 80's. The 80's designs were good, I felt that the 4H made them BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Really, that's a constructed division, because I do not know any 200X fan who doesn't respect the start. Even when considering how ridiculous some of it looks.
    There is a such thing as 200X Purists™. You don't really see any now because the REALLY hardcore guys either left or were banned. They can be found on other toy forums, stereotyping the .org and it's members as all Vintage/Filmation Purists™.

Things said while arguing in the heat of the moment during a controversy can also give rise to the idea that 200X fans hate the vintage line, like when Toyguru told us that 200X heads were banned and some vintage fans tried to rub their "victory" in the 200X fan's faces. I remember when Emiliano was dismayed over this and I told him that most 200X fans don't hate the vintage line at all.

People see things in black and white terms...preference for one doesn't mean hatred for the other.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; May 20, 2011 at 10:23pm.

EDIT: Era Wars™ might be another one. That's like the Second Ultimate Battleground™ right there.
    I want an Era Wars Weapons Pak!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    bcrduke, have you listened to the podcast yet? It sounds like you're addressing things never said.
    I just did

My comments were based on the thread-discussion though (I made sure to make that statement - I'm sorry if it wasn't clear )
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.