Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 047 Discussion!

well, it's been a hectic weekend, so i'm just getting round to listening now! ...

i've missed a good one, judging by the post count on this thread! ... ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

I really enjoyed this episode, but it left me wanting to hear more!

Next time you have Eric Treadaway in the show, could you perhaps chat about Skeletor figure like you talked about He-man? Maybe talk about cardback Skeletor (feet) and stuff like Alcala Skeletor (would they want to do something like that, would it even work as a figure etc)... a lot to talk about what could be still done with the other main character of the line?

Keep up the great work!

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I personally would like to have virtually no comedic elements in a Masters movie. I do agree with Eamon, that you could make a good action/comedy Masters movie, but that's not what I want to see right now. Maybe after a proper trilogy, and it could be a straight to DVD release. Now I want a dark, adult movie. I think something in the vein of a more colorful Lord of the Rings would be a good starting place. No camp, no goofiness.
    ...sorry, are you talking about the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings? With Merry & Pippin setting a firework off in front of them and ending up with soot on their faces, "It's the dwarves that go swimming with little hairy women" and so on? THAT LotR?

I'm the opposite of a "keyboard warrior." I'm actually nicer & more open to interact online than I am in person. I'm not a JERK in person, but I have no problem getting in someone's face if they deserve it. I also prefer to be that quiet guy who stays in the back checking things out & makin' my move when I see fit. (I'll never forget what Val said about how I look when he approached me at the pub in San Diego.) I remember telling him, "What you see is what you get, but there's more to me as well."

Anyway, I liked this episode a lot. It was a real treat to hear Eric & his points.
    Thanks very much, Val, Emiliano, Eamon, Dan & Eric. You guys are awesome & I'm looking forward to seeing you all & my He-Man.Org family in San Diego!
    I want my other half.

Yeah man!
    You look you can kick some ass, but you're a super nice guy.
    ...of course, that doesn't mean you can't kick ass.

Always enjoy episodes with guest people involved with MOTU.

It was listening to Eric, and while you guys were freeballing on some stuff, I too would also have liked more coherent, Questions/Theories/Answers with a direction to the overall chat.

Hoping to see him back again soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Sword View Post
    I also prefer to be that quiet guy who stays in the back checking things out & makin' my move when I see fit. (I'll never forget what Val said about how I look when he approached me at the pub in San Diego.) I remember telling him, "What you see is what you get, but there's more to me as well."
    You sound pretty cool, Power Sword. For some reason I'm thinking of Uma Thurman's quote in Pulp Fiction: "That's when you know you've found somebody really special. When you can just shut the **** up for a minute and comfortably share silence."

by the way ... TWIGLETS RULE!!! ... AND SO DOES MARMITE!!! ... ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Marmite is for evil people that will end up forever damed in hell!!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    ... well, i guess the tag-line is true ... ya either love it or hate it! ...

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Evil Vixen/Heroic Chef Starshine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Eeeeeeeeeevil, I tell ya! Marmite is the DEVIL'S toe jam!!

"...She just smiled, and gave me a MARMITE sandwich!" ..?!? HELL no!!

".....We wouldn't think of putting something on the screen - whether for theatres, television, or home video - without building in pro-social values..."

- Lou Scheimer (1984)

This is what its all about, folks.

Bah. I think Marmite is awesome. I love Vegemite even more. Australians know what's up!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I'm really out of the loop on this one. I have no idea what kind of food items any of you guys are talking about!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

A big fan of Slush Head
    Best Roast Gooble ever!! Amazing how you guys pulled this off.
    It was awesome to listen to Eric and the info behind the figs.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Just finished listening to this. What a fantastic episode!! So many cool things were discussed .... it's very sad that this thread focused only on petty arguments and people getting offended etc.

It was great to hear more about the Stactions. I never knew the reason why that two pack didn't come out. I always assumed it was just because the line was coming to an end and there wasn't time/money etc. Sad to hear that things got lost/stolen. It would have been really cool to get Spikor as a staction too, and the Mer-Man statue would have been awesome!

It was also nice to hear things from the 4H perspective on how this line came about. We've heard it from TG's perspective a few times already.

I like Clawful the way he is. A second head would have been nice but oh well. The actual body of the figure looks amazing though, and I really like the gradient of colour on the limbs like the comic was coloured.

Lots of good listening! I hope he comes back soon for another podcast.

EDIT- And I laughed when Eric was talking about how there was no set formula for how to make a classics figure etc. All I could think about was TG's magic classicize converter box
    Last edited by PanMan; May 23, 2011 at 09:24pm.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
    EDIT- And I laughed when Eric was talking about how there was no set formula for how to make a classics figure etc. All I could think about was TG's magic classicize converter box
    AKA The Classicizer™ Machine.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Yeah man!
    You look you can kick some ass, but you're a super nice guy.
    ...of course, that doesn't mean you can't kick ass.
    Thanks for the compliment brother. Y'know what folks, back in San Diego, I happened to suffer a pretty hard heartbreak. I still made it to the .org fan get together but I wasn't 100%. Ol' Val here, came on up to me & treated me as if we'd been friends for ages. Among visiting with everybody else, Val still found time to hang out & actually talk with me & I tell ya, his kindness went a long way. You're the man Val & if anybody ever says otherwise, you let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    You sound pretty cool, Power Sword. For some reason I'm thinking of Uma Thurman's quote in Pulp Fiction: "That's when you know you've found somebody really special. When you can just shut the **** up for a minute and comfortably share silence."
    Thanks Tallstar. A compliment like that don't come around everyday! I really appreciate that!
    I want my other half.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post

Speaking of Eric, I have to be honest and say that I kept getting irritated when you guys weren't even asking Eric questions. I mean, you had him on the line, and you guys were talking about Thor, Battle Pigeon, background noises, "Twiglets," and figures that .Orgers had sent Val. Why? Ya'll could talk about that on the other shows. I would have had TONS of questions for him. Grrrrrr.
    Agree. I totally had the same things going through my head while listening.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    This was a very interesting and insightful episodes.

Just some of my thoughts on the things discussed:

She-Ra and Adora:
    It's very interesting to learn that the same sculpt was used for the faces for both figures. Because they do looks quite a bit different. Something odd must have happened with the She-Ra mold. They look different when compared upclose.

Angel-T (who came up with the initial idea, which I borrowed) and I both made customs using Adora's head with She-Ra hair/tiara which made for a more cartoon looking She-Ra:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=192652

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=195511

I hope that She-Ra 2.0's face comes out look more accurate, thought the sad part is that even if it does, it apparently won't come with a Filmation/style guide head or tiara to attach to the head. So, there's no easy way for most people to get a proper looking She-Ra in that regard.

Clawful:

I'm actually pretty happy with how Clawful turned out overall, and I say this as someone who actually prefers the 200X look over the vintage figure look.

By biggest beef with the vintage figure is that from the waste up, he doesn't really look like a humanoid-crab creature. He looks more like a guy in a suit. The claws look more like gloves going over his hands/lower arms. His upper arms and body just look like that of an ordinary person.

I think in another thread MegaGearMax made the comment about how his head looked more like a Mexican Wrestler Mask than an actual creature head, which I think perfectly describes it. The fact that the original figure's neck is just a normal human fleshtone just adds to this. The proportions of the head with the details just kind of being painted on instead of really sculpted (as stated in a previous podcast) just adds to that Mexican Wrestler look.

The new MOTUC version of the figure corrects many of the major issues that I had the vintage figure. His arms look more 'creature-like', with better transitioning between the variations in his coloring. His beck/body are more creature-ish as well. The head sculpt overall is better and improves upon the problems of the original figure.

Sure, it would have been nice if a 200X head could have been included without the 'googly' eyes and with the black eyebrow-things being painted red or something, but I can't complain too much about it.

This is a case where they based it on the classic look, but overall corrected many of the problems with it.

They did something similar with the human form of King Hsss. While they based it off of the vintage figure, the thing I liked about the 200X figure was that he looked more evil and sinister. The face and look of the old figure was just silly and goofy (though I know that they were kind of going for that since the human form was meant to be a disguise to trick the heroic warriors). So, they used the vintage design, but what they did to improve upon it is very similar to what made me like the 200X design over the vintage design. It's the best of both worlds, IMO.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    I really like the balance of casual conversation/goofing around with the hard questions. I very much prefer the sound of some friends having a chat over a formal interview.
    That being said, however, it would certainly be great to hear Eric on the show again to give us even more info/insights.

Heroic Warrior
    Maybe Val can answer this question. It sounded at the end of episode 47 that you might be contacting Eric again for episode 48. Is that the case?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by TrimmTrabb View Post
    I really like the balance of casual conversation/goofing around with the hard questions. I very much prefer the sound of some friends having a chat over a formal interview.
    Thank you!
    You nailed the format of the show.
    Eric is our friend and he was hanging out chatting. It was not a formal interview.
    Plus it's not like this was the only opportunity we'll ever have to talk to him.
    I also hope Scott will be hanging out with us too like that in the future.
    It's relaxed and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Maybe Val can answer this question. It sounded at the end of episode 47 that you might be contacting Eric again for episode 48. Is that the case?
    Keep reading the bios!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
    MOTU Vintage Visual Figure Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

MOTUC from Vintage Visual Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

My Feedback Thread

The Classicizer™ Machine is a Lie?
    Oh no! Everything I believed in is falling apart!
    Good riddance to that stupid machine... Hopefully it'll allow us to get a REAL Mantenna... with 4 separate legs and all that... This Gooble was very educational... There might be hope for a He-Mullet!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Thank you!
    You nailed the format of the show.
    Eric is our friend and he was hanging out chatting. It was not a formal interview.
    Plus it's not like this was the only opportunity we'll ever have to talk to him.
    I also hope Scott will be hanging out with us too like that in the future.
    It's relaxed and fun.
    I don't think anyone was asking for a formal interview. I think some are more interested in hearing what Eric has to say about MOTU and its various aspects and processes--since you actually have him on--over Battle Pigeons, Thor, Chicklets (or whatever), and presents, which didn't even really involve him or answer questions many of us had/have for him. I have no doubt that there are a few who would prefer to hear about Battle Pigeons over Eric, but I and others probably do not. I'm sure I'll be brushed off for saying this, and I'm sure I'm wrong, but it is what it is. I will still obviously listen to the show and enjoy doing so. I always look forward to it. I too hope Scott will join you soon.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela