Thread: New Movie Mentions! *UPDATES as of 10/15*

Threaded View

New Movie Mentions! *UPDATES as of 10/15*

DeVon Franklin, Columbia Pictures VP, talks He-Man...

Can you give a sneak peek of the next film project that you’re working on right now?

I am working on a number of projects. One of them is we just closed the deal and the film rights to the New York Times bestseller Heaven Is for Real, so we’re going to be developing that script. Going to do a remake of Sparkle, a 1970s film; it’s a musical. We’re going to do that with our Jumping the Broom team. I’m also working on Will and Jaden’s [Smith] next movie called One Thousand A.E. We’re also working a remake of Annie that Willow [Smith] will star in. One of other things I’m really excited about is we’re doing a reboot of the 1980s franchise Masters of the Universe. The He-Man franchise. Very excited about that. Should have that script very soon. I’m praying that we can start figuring out how we’re going to make it.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...i.html%3Fp%3D4

Columbia Pictures VP Devon Franklin Talks Netflix, Social Media

It’s no secret that the competition for eyeballs is intense these days. Seriously, I don’t remember the last time I watched TV without somehow drifting to Facebook or Twitter, replying to an email, playing a new game, downloading an app, etc. And, with film prices shooting upwards of $12 here in New York, um, yeah. I’ll wait for Netflix.

But Columbia/Sony Pictures VP of production Devon Franklin says that the digital age has only made his industry go back to basics: to make great films.

“We have to make films for a lower price point without sacrificing quality,” said Franklin, who currently has Men in Black 3 and a live action version of He-Man in the works. “The biggest challenge that we face quite honestly is we still have to make great movies, and we can’t let the dialogue about what’s going on with Netflix and the digital media world affect making great films.”
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...l-media_b29518

EDIT

One more addition!

IAE: Very cool! So what other projects are you currently working on?

DF: Right now, I probably have anywhere from 25 to 30 projects in development. One of them being, ‘Masters of the Universe.’ If you’re a He-Man fan from the 80s, then you’re going to love it. We have a great team of writers who are putting together an amazing story, and it’s a project that I’m very excited about because it will take advantage of all the new technology that is available today. It’s a world that lends itself to 3-D.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...og_id%3D204144
    Last edited by Tallstar; May 25, 2011 at 09:41pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost