Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Movie Mentions! *UPDATES as of 10/15*

New Movie Mentions! *UPDATES as of 10/15*

DeVon Franklin, Columbia Pictures VP, talks He-Man...

Can you give a sneak peek of the next film project that you’re working on right now?

I am working on a number of projects. One of them is we just closed the deal and the film rights to the New York Times bestseller Heaven Is for Real, so we’re going to be developing that script. Going to do a remake of Sparkle, a 1970s film; it’s a musical. We’re going to do that with our Jumping the Broom team. I’m also working on Will and Jaden’s [Smith] next movie called One Thousand A.E. We’re also working a remake of Annie that Willow [Smith] will star in. One of other things I’m really excited about is we’re doing a reboot of the 1980s franchise Masters of the Universe. The He-Man franchise. Very excited about that. Should have that script very soon. I’m praying that we can start figuring out how we’re going to make it.
    http://www.crosswalk.com/culture/boo...ith-i.html?p=4

Columbia Pictures VP Devon Franklin Talks Netflix, Social Media

It’s no secret that the competition for eyeballs is intense these days. Seriously, I don’t remember the last time I watched TV without somehow drifting to Facebook or Twitter, replying to an email, playing a new game, downloading an app, etc. And, with film prices shooting upwards of $12 here in New York, um, yeah. I’ll wait for Netflix.

But Columbia/Sony Pictures VP of production Devon Franklin says that the digital age has only made his industry go back to basics: to make great films.

“We have to make films for a lower price point without sacrificing quality,” said Franklin, who currently has Men in Black 3 and a live action version of He-Man in the works. “The biggest challenge that we face quite honestly is we still have to make great movies, and we can’t let the dialogue about what’s going on with Netflix and the digital media world affect making great films.”
    http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowll...l-media_b29518

EDIT

One more addition!

IAE: Very cool! So what other projects are you currently working on?

DF: Right now, I probably have anywhere from 25 to 30 projects in development. One of them being, ‘Masters of the Universe.’ If you’re a He-Man fan from the 80s, then you’re going to love it. We have a great team of writers who are putting together an amazing story, and it’s a project that I’m very excited about because it will take advantage of all the new technology that is available today. It’s a world that lends itself to 3-D.
    http://tylerperryfans.com/cgi-bin/bl...blog_id=204144
    Last edited by Tallstar; May 25, 2011 at 09:41pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

it's great that the vice president of columbia pictures says that

One of other things I’m really excited about is we’re doing a reboot of the 1980s franchise Masters of the Universe. The He-Man franchise. Very excited about that. Should have that script very soon. I’m praying that we can start figuring out how we’re going to make it.
    is the first time that I feel we will have a new motu movie .it's a real project ,posible and concrete

thanks tallstar for the news
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; May 25, 2011 at 09:50pm.

Fantastic find, Tallstar! I take it these are all recent interviews? Shows that things are still ticking.

Awesome! Any chance of seeing this movie being made is a good thing!
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

This is good news! It was posted while I was watching the original 1987 movie.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    If they do He-man right, you have a hit franchise with a fan base just waiting to explode. If it sucks, then we will gather our torches and pitchforks and burn Columbia to the ground.

First the studio then the country just to show we mean business.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    If they do He-man right, you have a hit franchise with a fan base just waiting to explode. If it sucks, then we will gather our torches and pitchforks and burn Columbia to the ground.

First the studio then the country just to show we mean business.
    I bolded the last part because it made me laugh a lot!

Anyway, good news. I agree with the first part though! If this movie is made right and is epic enough, people will fall in love with He-Man and it will be HUGE! I'm a little leary the script might suffer with them upping the 3D angle.

Off topic: Willow Smith in Annie? REALLY? That's awful. There are only a handful of parts for red-headed little girls, and Annie is THE part for them. Especially with all the terrible things that have been happening to red heads lately like the disgusting "Kick a Ginger Day." For shame Willow Smith and parents!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

This guy's on Twitter, too. I don't use Twitter. Do you reckon someone could ask him how the MOTU film is going? Hey, maybe he'll answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    This guy's on Twitter, too. I don't use Twitter. Do you reckon someone could ask him how the MOTU film is going?
    Already taken care of a few minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Already taken care of a few minutes ago.
    Way ahead of me.

Right now, I probably have anywhere from 25 to 30 projects in development. One of them being, ‘Masters of the Universe.’ If you’re a He-Man fan from the 80s, then you’re going to love it. We have a great team of writers who are putting together an amazing story, and it’s a project that I’m very excited about because it will take advantage of all the new technology that is available today. It’s a world that lends itself to 3-D.
    wow I had not read the last comment ,i like how excited he is about a motu movie (he is the VC)
    I remember in an interview Litvak said motu is a high priority for columbia.

think of it, Columbia is a great studio but has not a lots of " super big projects" like other great studios, sound coherent that motu is an important project for them.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; May 26, 2011 at 12:29am.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    WOW i cannot wait
    what 2 years away ?

I just hope they stick to the 200X story. Please don't bring He-man to earth, and don't make him a knight. Create a world like the cartoon.

This is really cool! It's nice to see that he is so excited about a He-Man movie
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

I'm glad they've gone public with this...

I'd just heard something about a script being rejected, and then their being very happy with a new one.

BUT, with Hollywood, you never know. It's a very good sign that this studio is attached.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    *happy squeal*

Heroic Warrior Wundar_Grayskull's Avatar
    Finally! He-Man will come back to the big screen!

Incredibly good news! FINALLY!

Go Sony/Columbia!

Oh happy day !!! Best news in a very long time

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I'd just heard something about a script being rejected, and then their being very happy with a new one.
    Is the one that got rejected the one that was written by that Predators guy (with the magic versus technology angle, He-Man without muscles and a spiritual transformation) ?

DeVon Franklin responded on Twitter:

@JimTallstar waiting on the rewrite now

@JimTallstar Hey Jim! Can't give spoilers yet BUT I can say its gonna be a monster smash! What we've come up with is so good!

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar

see that, thats my face until its announced they've started shooting. then i'll believe we're getting a movie
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    I feel excitment trying to jump out of my mouth and scream in happiness. I sooo hope they get this right, get 1 right and the others will follow.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

so I guess we can say that's ONE of the four big announcements for SDCC out of the way. as much as some people loathe 3d (which they shouldnt as there is always the option to see it in a regular theatre) I LOVE that they said it's a world that lends itself to 3D because watching Avatar I immediately thought Eternia!!! and I love 3d. I just hate after the fact 3d.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

The one thing I ask for is that they keep the transformation. I pray this new script sticks to the true spirit of MOTU.
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"

Quote Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
    http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticon...miley-face.gif

see that, thats my face until its announced they've started shooting. then i'll believe we're getting a movie
    you should to believe before that, in a project like this , the shooting happens Many months later, first is the pre-production which lasts about 8 o 9 months.

about DeVon Franklin, How old is this guy? it seems he was a child in the 80's, he-man generation.