Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motu on Toy Hunters, news about SDCC

Heroic Warrior

Motu on Toy Hunters, news about SDCC

So I tuned in to watch Toy Hunters tonight & Jordan was contacted by Toy Guru and asked him to find him a vintage Laser Light He-man, Laser Light Skeletor, Megator & Tytus cause the want to do a stand with all the vintage figures at this year SDCC.

So it got me wondering if it was a possibility that if by SDCC Mattel shows us the remaining figures left to finish the vintage line?

Sorry don't post much & kinda new to the forum even though I've been a member for a while.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Stretching things a bit here just based on a proposed display, but LL He-Man and Skelly would make a very good SDCC exclusive. Using the packaging to simulate the light up features (lights behind the translucent weapons) would make a lot of sense, since I doubt they'd splurge for electronic accessories. We've got the giants already in MOTUC, but we haven't seen them showing the laser variants before in displays of the old stuff at the cons, have we?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Yep that sounds like a cool sdcc exclusive

Evil Master of Laceration mikescab's Avatar
    Wow, that would be awesome!
    Mike Scabs

OMG if this turns out to be the case i'll be running around like this

Was I the only one that saw last nights episode of Toy Hunter as a missed opportunity to plug the new MOTU stuff a little? it was great to see a MOTU presence on TV, regardless. I'm not a fan of the figures he was looking for, but even I said 'phwoaaaaar!" when he pulled out those carded figures out of that box in that guys attic. Real life treasure hunting
    Praise the Emperor and pass the ammunition - for one that will not cure, the other will!

Chicagoland He-Fan or She-Raver? Join the NEW Horde at The Fright Zone! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...php?groupid=88
    Check out my band, CRUSADER http://crusaderwarmachine.bandcamp.c...rd-into-battle

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Stretching things a bit here just based on a proposed display, but LL He-Man and Skelly would make a very good SDCC exclusive. Using the packaging to simulate the light up features (lights behind the translucent weapons) would make a lot of sense, since I doubt they'd splurge for electronic accessories. We've got the giants already in MOTUC, but we haven't seen them showing the laser variants before in displays of the old stuff at the cons, have we?
    I could totally see this happening---^ I guessed at perhaps the twist guys Rotar/Twistoid getting a 2-pack, but LL HM/LL Skeletor would be a great way to not only guarantee sales, but introduce two more Vintage. I suppose R/T would have introduced more Vintage as well, but wouldn't be nearly as sexy as the LL guys.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderkill View Post
    Was I the only one that saw last nights episode of Toy Hunter as a missed opportunity to plug the new MOTU stuff a little? it was great to see a MOTU presence on TV, regardless. I'm not a fan of the figures he was looking for, but even I said 'phwoaaaaar!" when he pulled out those carded figures out of that box in that guys attic. Real life treasure hunting
    Yeah, I saw one of those Italian packaged Tytus's years ago when I lived in NYC . . . at the time it was like $600. I kick myself to this day for not grabbing it. (Of course, at the time, I was barely able to pay NYC rent, so I wouldn't have been able to eat or had heat for a few months, but it would have been worth it looking back)

$5500 for 3 figures for a display for SDCC...but this line is using every available bit of funds to produce the figures?

(Plus Mattel still needs to find the funds for Megator)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderkill View Post
    I think a plug for Mattycollector.com would have been very appropriate. Just a simple mention or flash of the address before a commercial break. Could have helped increase traffic to the site and made some more people aware of the line...Could have even helped sell the mini sub. I know there have to be more people like myself out there. Had I known about this line before last year, I would have been all in from the beginning. I'm not a big Facebook or Twitter user, don't follow much in the way of toy collecting news or sites - but, I watch shows like Toy Hunter often.

Yeah, I definitely agree. Missed opportunity.
    MELIAC in MOTUC! We need a mutant, alien, cyclops, reformed baddie, sheriff in the mix!

DRAGSTOR IS COMING SOON!

Was I the only one who thought it strange that they can spend several thousands of dollars for 3... THREE vintage MOUT figures for a SDCC display but they don't have the resources to do a meter for the Club Etheria sub?
    My MOTUC needs:
    Catch up: Granamyr, Dragon Blaster Skeletor
    Coming soon: Rio Blast, Entrapta, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Gwildor, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Spinerella, Lizard Man, Ninjor, Huntara, Skeletor's Hover Robots
    Needs to make me feel like I have a complete collection: Queen Angella, Peekablue, Perfuma
    Wants: Hoove, Lord Masque

A visual would help, but once the Club Etheria goes through and they announce at SDCC the rest of 2014, we will know everything in 2015 anyway...
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Heroic Podcaster
    I heard Toy Hunter was going to go searching for great vintage MOTU collections? I'd love to be able to apply for a spot on that show!
    ANGELLA! Blast Attak Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor ELDOR! ENTRAPTA! FLUTTERINA! Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MULTI-BOT! NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma RIO BLAST! Rotar
    Saurod SPINNERELLA! Sssqueeze SWEET BEE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

Quote Originally Posted by tjhill2112 View Post
    Was I the only one who thought it strange that they can spend several thousands of dollars for 3... THREE vintage MOUT figures for a SDCC display but they don't have the resources to do a meter for the Club Etheria sub?
    Different budgets. Apparently "limited funds" is not a term known in the marketing department.

It does really make one pause, though; the bill will likely be 6-7000 bucks for four figures for a con display (although they may get multiple uses out of them). If the lasers aren't the exclusive this year, though, the laser figures may be counted as part of the R&D budget if they are working on them for next year. Still, you'd think they could cut the cost by looking for a loose Tytus (though a complete one outside the box might be too hard to find by July).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

First of all, I believe there's a very tenuous relationship between those meters and reality. Secondly, when billion-dollar companies whine about not having budget, you can read that as, "We don't feel like it."

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    I heard Toy Hunter was going to go searching for great vintage MOTU collections? I'd love to be able to apply for a spot on that show!
    I believe Jordan is originally from Jersey. It would make sense for him to stop by Josh Van Pelt's collection, with all of his vintage prototypes, cases upon cases of unopened figures, etc.

How about the fact that Mattel could have created and aired just one....very simple....commercial during this broadcast for the Club Etheria sub, and would have gained a whole lot more awareness (and possible sales) from it? I understand creating commercials cost money, and buying ad space also costs money. But they could have at least experimented to see what results it would garner. People watching this show are the core demographic for a line like this, after all. MOTU deserves at least that much.
    2015 MOTUC Line is ON! (Now make Tuskador PLEASE)

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    How about the fact that Mattel could have created and aired just one....very simple....commercial during this broadcast for the Club Etheria sub, and would have gained a whole lot more awareness (and possible sales) from it? I understand creating commercials cost money, and buying ad space also costs money. But they could have at least experimented to see what results it would garner. People watching this show are the core demographic for a line like this, after all. MOTU deserves at least that much.
    According to a quick Google, I saw an estimate of about $18,000 for 30 second ad spot on Travel Channel. So for the cost of what they are likely to pay for four vintage figures to show to folks who are likely already aware of the line, they could have plopped in a 15 second spot filmed by TG in his office to inform folks who have no idea the line exists.

Seriously, remember this the next time Mattel says they can't afford any advertising for this line...

I'm not usually a Matty Apologist, but I think that the budget for this was more that they didn't have these figures packaged in their archives; it most likely came out of Mattel's budgeting, not the MOTUC line budget. Yes, they are going to use them as display pieces at SDCC (and I think they already displayed them at the 2013 NYCC, I just can't remember if I saw them then or not), but really it was so they had a complete set of all the MOTU they made.

I actually find it more difficult to believe that they are so disorganized at Mattel that they don't have an archivist who has one of EVERYTHING they ever made. But if that's true and this wasn't just a shoe-horned in plot to fit with Hembrough already having sales set ups for these figures, I can easily see Mattel spending upwards of $5000 to complete their archives.

Heroic Podcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by sircory-1 View Post
    I believe Jordan is originally from Jersey. It would make sense for him to stop by Josh Van Pelt's collection, with all of his vintage prototypes, cases upon cases of unopened figures, etc.
    Wow, I would LOVE to see that!
    ANGELLA! Blast Attak Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor ELDOR! ENTRAPTA! FLUTTERINA! Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MULTI-BOT! NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma RIO BLAST! Rotar
    Saurod SPINNERELLA! Sssqueeze SWEET BEE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

Quote Originally Posted by Kreann'ot View Post
    I think a plug for Mattycollector.com would have been very appropriate. Just a simple mention or flash of the address before a commercial break. Could have helped increase traffic to the site and made some more people aware of the line...Could have even helped sell the mini sub. I know there have to be more people like myself out there. Had I known about this line before last year, I would have been all in from the beginning. I'm not a big Facebook or Twitter user, don't follow much in the way of toy collecting news or sites - but, I watch shows like Toy Hunter often.

Yeah, I definitely agree. Missed opportunity.
    Not even a mention of MOTUC, I agree, ridiculous.

But, it did what it was meant to do - promote Scott, which is the primary focus, as usual.

I watch the show, even though I find several aspects of it rather annoying (how many other shows on TV are about classic toys? Not many, so it's the best we've got), but yeah, missed opportunity doesn't begin to cover it. But I'm sure like the last appearance, Scott arranged it, Scott was front and center, and even though you could glimpse MOTUC figures, not a single mention of the line.

But Scott was publicly branded an "expert", which was the point - I mean, never heard of the guy before finding Matty - don't think he did anything before - no idea what qualifies him as being a "ToyGuru" or expert - but once you get someone else to say it, it starts to become true. He's already preparing for his post-MOTUC life.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    $5500 for 3 figures for a display for SDCC...but this line is using every available bit of funds to produce the figures?

(Plus Mattel still needs to find the funds for Megator)
    I knew somebody was going to say what I was thinking. LOL!!
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Heroic Warrior Bender Rodríguez's Avatar
    It would be amazing to see a display with the whole vintage figures complete, including Megator, Tytus and the laser variants, but it would be 10,000 times better to see also in that display, the whole vintage POP figures together (I guess Spinnerella and Loo-Kee have Tytus-Megator price ranges or they're even more expensive), the whole NA vintage figures (with the ugly variants too) and the whole 200X/MYP figures (with all the crappy variants).

That would blow my mind, also it could be good to see which figures the people like the most, so they can get to Classics format.

Quote Originally Posted by Robi2184 View Post
    So I tuned in to watch Toy Hunters tonight & Jordan was contacted by Toy Guru and asked him to find him a vintage Laser Light He-man, Laser Light Skeletor, Megator & Tytus cause the want to do a stand with all the vintage figures at this year SDCC.

So it got me wondering if it was a possibility that if by SDCC Mattel shows us the remaining figures left to finish the vintage line?

Sorry don't post much & kinda new to the forum even though I've been a member for a while.
    I think that with the fact that they want to show all of the vintage figures in box in one shot, that they may be trying to get the brand out there to retailers again. I can see them selling the figures to retailers at a cheaper cost with less paints and accessories in the Classics style. If they do that, it will hopefully bring in the masses to this franchise. It would also give Mattel the budget to get us some of the characters, vehicles and playsets that we have been dreaming of.
    Boomer Sooner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tkjaer21 View Post
    I think that with the fact that they want to show all of the vintage figures in box in one shot, that they may be trying to get the brand out there to retailers again. I can see them selling the figures to retailers at a cheaper cost with less paints and accessories in the Classics style. If they do that, it will hopefully bring in the masses to this franchise. It would also give Mattel the budget to get us some of the characters, vehicles and playsets that we have been dreaming of.
    I think it's highly unlikely we will ever see MOTU in retail in the form of classics, even with reduced apps and accessories. The costs are just too high. The likelihood is we would see something akin to the new DC Universe figures that Mattel is doing with a much less articulated and more generic body sculpt.

I just hope that if they do go this route that the figures are somewhat in the same scale/size as classics so we might get some cross-over accessories and playsets/vehicles/beasts.