Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.160!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.160!

Mattel has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to them for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out their answers to your Round 160 questions!

This round of questions were selected by MaxGoof.
    Thanks to that fan for their help!

1. tumalu: It was suggested that the Collector's Choice sub was scaled down to six monthly figures this year (excluding extras) in order to test the actual demand from the fans. Since we were told that the 2016 sub sold 75% more than its minimum goal, will we go back to a twelve-figure sub in 2017?

The 2016 subscriptions were a great success. They had amazing new figure offers and great subscribers that made possible bringing everything to reality. For 2017, we want to continue the good work. In fact, we want to deliver better work. And in order to do so, we will continue the same format for MOTU as in 2016 (six bi-monthly figures plus a subscription exclusive figure). For Thundercats in 2017, we are adding two figures. So it will also be six bi-monthly figures plus a subscription exclusive figure. This does not account for any other release such as chase items, semi-annual items, convention exclusives, etc.

2. krosfyah: I like the three Horde Trooper heads that come with General Sunder. But releasing them that way is not good for army builders, nor did we get General Sunder's unhelmeted head. Would you consider releasing a trooper head-pack for those who wish to have an army of aqua troopers, new DC52 troopers, or vintage troopers, without having to resort to buying a lot of General Sunder figures?

At this point in time General Sunder is pretty much done, and will come with those heads. But there is definitely potential for the release of a Horde Trooper head pack in the future, now that those heads have been created. We would probably offer more than just three heads. So if there is something else you'd like to add, let us know.

3. MaxGoof: We were told that the non-articulated Cringer figure released with Queen Marlena was a placeholder until Mattel could give us an articulated Cringer. It's been five years now and an articulated Cringer still has yet to be released. Do you have an update on this figure?

It's in the works. We promise.

4. mjw41: There was a post on MattyCollector.com on February 2nd informing fans that you have heard us loud and clear on the ankle joints and that the ThunderCats figures will not receive the same ankles as the Club Grayskull Filmation figures. The post also stated that you are currently working very hard on improving the current ankle joints on the Club Grayskull line. So will anything be done to improve the current ankle joints coming with Skeletor & Beast Man, and are there plans to re-release He-Man with improved ankles?

We are still working on getting all of those improvements made where we can. We are doing as much as we can for Skeletor and Beastman, and most definitely the rest of the characters. If we have re-release of He-Man, you can for sure expect it to have revised ankles.

5. Scorpia: Many fan-demanded Filmation characters come from the Filmation She-Ra series. There are also a lot of female Filmation characters still unreleased, despite their popularity with a number of fans. Where does Mattel stand on Filmation female characters that have, so far, been left out of the MOTU Classics roster?

We agree that there are still many great female characters we would love to release. We plan on bringing what we can into the line.

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 162!
    Click here for a master list of all previous Q&A sessions.
    And, have fun discussing Mattel's answers to your Round 160 questions!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

A real articulated Cringer!?!??! That's huge news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    A real articulated Cringer!?!??! That's huge news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Probably in the Filmation line.

Heroic Warrior
    I figured we'd end up getting a cringe in the filmation line and orko too

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    YES!!!! Definitely high time for this !
    Kuduk Ungol for MOTUC. All steeds for MOTUC. Fully-articulated Cringer for MOTUC. Accessories for MOTUC Castle Grayskull.

2017 Staying with the 6 bi monthlys and they are still working on Skeletor & Beast-Mans ankle fix fantastic news
    Looking forward to a very bright 2016 with MOTUC Collectors Choice, He-Man and the Masters Of the Universe animated Filmation line, Thundercats & SNAKE MOUNTAIN

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    2017 Staying with the 6 bi monthlys and they are still working on Skeletor & Beast-Mans ankle fix fantastic news
    Keep in mind they said they would do what they can on the ankles for those two figures. That's not a guarantee it will be changed for Skeletor and Beast Man.

I say this to help stave off the rumor mill before it gets grinding.

Slightly disappointed about ThunderCats, but I suppose it's more managable (especially if you want multiple subs)

I expected the MOTU subs to remain the same.
    At this point I just HOPE for Dylamug and Hunga the Harpy!

They could do Cringer as the sub exclusive for Club Greyskull that would get tons of people to sign up.
    Most Wanted Kittrina, Granita, Hawke, Lady Slither, Hunga, Sagitar, Dylamug, Master Sebrian, Karg, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi,Crystoll, Caz, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, Ra-Jar, Red Beast, Kay-La, Red Shadow, Gladiator, Bandwidth, and Negator.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Keep in mind they said they would do what they can on the ankles for those two figures. That's not a guarantee it will be changed for Skeletor and Beast Man.

I say this to help stave off the rumor mill before it gets grinding.
    well to be fair Val they did post on February 2nd they were working on fixing the ankles for the club grayskull filmation figures and it said stay tuned. So they have had time to work on making fixes since that February announcement and neither Skeletor or Beast-Man are on a boat from china yet.
    Looking forward to a very bright 2016 with MOTUC Collectors Choice, He-Man and the Masters Of the Universe animated Filmation line, Thundercats & SNAKE MOUNTAIN

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Slightly disappointed about ThunderCats, but I suppose it's more managable (especially if you want multiple subs)
    I know hardcore ThunderCats fans want more, faster, sooner. But I still stand by my position from before on that.

TCats had something like 40 different character toys (not including creature playsets, vehicles, etc). I realize some of the prototypes would increase that number. And I don't remember all the characters in media that didn't have toys. But just talking released vintage toys...

...if they did 6 characters in a sub, plus a sub exclusive, plus a chase, plus a SDCC exclusive, that's 9 right there in a year. And one of the semi-annual slots used on a larger character would bump it up to 10. With subs like that in 2017, 2018 and 2019, in just four years you'd have almost all the vintage toy character releases without it being too stressful financially.

With MOTUC going on it's 8th year (excluding 2008), I think 5 to 6 years of TCats with that smaller annual sub model sounds very doable. It's not too much too fast, it's more inviting for a customer who would have a smaller financial commitment each year, and it gives the brand a lot of life and presence which is good for TCats in general, keeping it in the public's eye which may help seed things like new media.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    well to be fair Val they did post on February 2nd they were working on fixing the ankles for the club grayskull filmation figures and it said stay tuned. So they have had time to work on making fixes since that February announcement and neither Skeletor or Beast-Man are on a boat from china yet.
    But again, they said they are doing what they can for Beast Man and Skeletor. If you want the ankles to change, then I don't think you should be expecting it to be fixed on those two.

New tooling, approvals, production time lines, shipping... it's a fairly large window of time.

Personally I'd be more optimistic for Beast Man (August) than I would for Skeletor (June). But I'm not saying that because I know anything. That's just my own assessment of possibilities. Who knows, maybe they will get them changed for Skeletor. But it's definitely a maybe at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    They could do Cringer as the sub exclusive for Club Greyskull that would get tons of people to sign up.
    True and now that they are keeping to the Six bi monthlys with sub excusives & extras I'm really looking forward to SDCC and see what characters they will be offering us for all of 2017 subscripions wise

Anxious to see a fully articulated Cringer. And yeah I think as an exclusive he would entice many folks to sub up. Cringer would even give CC only fans an incentive. Glad to hear the 2016 line up/new sub model reinvigorated the line. There are still many characters I'd like to see made and there are still half a dozen vintage creatures (not counting meteorbs) and about 9 or so vintage vehicles that may still get produced the longer the line runs. In the end we could potentially complete the entire vintage collection.

Extremely disappointed about Thundercats.

6 a year is a joke. It'll take forever to finish off all the main characters. I don't see the line lasting that long. I can't take another 5 or 6 years of DR/Mattel B.S. One of the appeals of this line was that Mattel could finish it off rather quickly instead of dragging customers along and holding certain characters "hostage" to keep the line going.

TC Classics will end up like every other TC line and end up being incomplete.

Disappointed to hear the 2017 MOTUC offerings will mirror the 2016 model.

Cool to get confirmation about Cringer. I figure he'll probably come with a CG Prince Adam.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Worst case Mattel would likely offer any later main characters that are outstanding as exclusives.

Though I do think 6-7 figure subs plus out of subs extras for 2-3 years will cover the most wanted characters anyway.
    At this point I just HOPE for Dylamug and Hunga the Harpy!

Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    I'm wondering if he might mean Grayskull will get 2 over-sized items?
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

But isn't that more of an indictment on the fans than the company? As long as figures are selling and making money the company will keep producing them. It seems Tcats fans buy the main cast and then lose interest...quickly.

But again, as Val said, it is not just 6. More likely 9-10 a year.

Awesome answer about Cringer!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

That's called putting the cart before the horse.

Following up on what Kid Canada said, you have no way of knowing that, unless you have limited faith in the strength of the ThunderCats brand.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post

Though I do think 6-7 figure subs plus out of subs extras for 2-3 years will cover the most wanted characters anyway.
    That's only IF they only do the main characters first which we know they won't. They keep someone like Tygra or Cheetara hostage for that final year. It'll be just like the same thing they did with Ram Man and Mekaneck in MOTUC.

Plus add in a least one price increase, more than likely two, over the course of 5-6 years and you have a line destined to be incomplete.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    But isn't that more of an indictment on the fans than the company? As long as figures are selling and making money the company will keep producing them. It seems Tcats fans buy the main cast and then lose interest...quickly.
    I want 12 figures a year so that I CAN get everyone including the B and C-listers. I want the Willas, Mandora, Snowmeow, ALL OF THE LUNATAKS,...everything! At 6 a year, I'll be at this for 10+ years!!!! This line won't last that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    But again, as Val said, it is not just 6. More likely 9-10 a year.

Chase figures and exclusives though shouldn't be main characters. Those slots should be for obscure characters. The main cast should be inclusive in the sub. The main part of the line should be in the monthlies. Going by that, it's going to take way too long just to get the A-Listers out.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    That's called putting the cart before the horse.

Following up on what Kid Canada said, you have no way of knowing that, unless you have limited faith in the strength of the ThunderCats brand.
    Having been burned way too many times with TC lines, my faith in the companies are pretty low.

Even the LJN line was incomplete since it didn't even get the Lunataks released.

Having been burned way too many times with TC lines, my faith in the companies are pretty low.

Even the LJN line was incomplete since it didn't even get the Lunataks released.
    But it's not fair to blame companies for all of that. If the vintage line wasn't selling and they didn't get to the Lunataks, that's not LJN's fault.

These TCats figures from Matty, IMO, look awesome. But if they don't sell, they don't sell. MattyCollector can't be blamed by any reasonable person for lack of interest from consumers.

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar

Well, for all it's faults, Mattel has had one of the most successful lines of adult collector figures all all time with MOTUC. If TC fans are half as supportive of the line as MOTU fans have been of MOTUC, it should last. But I do get your frustration, it would be nice to have more figures faster.
    I want more army builders, Dragon Blaster Faker and world peace! And yes, I want them in that order.

Order if maybe Cringer will be the Grayskull SDCC exclusive.
    Most Wanted Kittrina, Granita, Hawke, Lady Slither, Hunga, Sagitar, Dylamug, Master Sebrian, Karg, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi,Crystoll, Caz, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, Ra-Jar, Red Beast, Kay-La, Red Shadow, Gladiator, Bandwidth, and Negator.

So excited about Cringer!!! So excited!!!