Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Figure Face-Off - 200x VS Classics

Figure Face-Off - 200x VS Classics

I don't know if this has been done before... but...

I know some people are fully against the whole 200x style thing and will hate on 200x no matter what, but when I was displaying my 200x opposite my Classics figures earlier, I realised some designs are actually better in the most recent toons toy line than in Classics... so I came up with this idea...

Choose which you prefer of each of the following and why?

VS

VS

VS

VS

VS

HD figures on youtube
    For me, MOTUC He-Man & Duncan.

The rest, 200X has them beat, including that staction.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    I prefer the Classiks look on all of them. I loved the 200x line back then, but now its retired for me and i prefer the more nostalgic look of the Classics.

Motuc: He-man, Man-At-Arms,Skeletor

200X: Evil-Lyn, Skeletor, LEECH, LEECH, LEECH, LEECH.

Skeletor is in both of them... what can I say?, I like them both.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I like both but 200x a little more.

Classics for all of them for me as well. I sort of accepted the aesthetic of 200x back when it was going, but I know a part of it was simply that I was so excited to get ANYTHING MOTU related in toy form again. As we move further and further away from that time and place, the less I like it and I am glad that it is more a part of MOTU history rather than where we are now. Classics is the best aesthetic for me and I feel it does a much better job capturing the feel and spirit of MOTU than 200x ever did.

To me, 200x was adapting MOTU to the time and place of its era where as Classics is more about adapting the time and place of this era into MOTU.

Classics: He-man, Skeletor, Man-at-arms. I think these characters all look more iconic in this style, He-man was to skinny in 200X and evil looking and MAAs armour was to big and clunky.

200X: Evil Lynn, Leech. I prefer Evil Lynn with white skin as she had in both cartoons and the movie and I like her clothes being the same style and colour as Faceless ones. Leech looks really monsterous and scarey in 200X, the classics one looks goofy like a bad 50s B movie monster or Power Ranger monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Veebs View Post
    Classics for all of them for me as well. I sort of accepted the aesthetic of 200x back when it was going, but I know a part of it was simply that I was so excited to get ANYTHING MOTU related in toy form again. As we move further and further away from that time and place, the less I like it and I am glad that it is more a part of MOTU history rather than where we are now. Classics is the best aesthetic for me and I feel it does a much better job capturing the feel and spirit of MOTU than 200x ever did.

To me, 200x was adapting MOTU to the time and place of its era where as Classics is more about adapting the time and place of this era into MOTU.
    This is pretty much how I feel as well.

I prefer the classics He-man overall, but think he could do with a slightly different hair do!

I actually prefer the 200x Man-At-Arms... I enjoyed the bulkiness of the armor and weaponry... makes him feel a bit more "superhero-ish" opposed to "solider-ish"

200x Evil-Lyn for me, the detail in the armour seems to suit more in this iteration I think.

Classics Skeletor is the right one for me, there was a time where I thought it was rubbish compared to the 200x design, but there's just something iconic about his classic look, which as time goes on, becomes more important!

Leech ... 200x all the way!!!! He looks like the fearsome monster he should!!

I like both syles but I will say I much prefer the newer version of Evil-Lyn. I never liked the yellow skin and I loved the way she looked in the new series.
    Meow,
    Princess Selina Desire

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I enjoy elements of both for all of them.

Now as far as the final execution of the figures themselves as figures, MOTUC probably wins all of them.

But looking at the actual designs, and what the 4H intended with their prototypes, the 200x win on almost all of them.

Just based on look/design, I think MOTUC He-Man would win out there, and MAA would be a toss-up, leaning towards 200x.

The rest are easy 200x wins for me.

With the exception of Evil Lynn I have to go with MOTUC and say it has the better overall look than 200x.

Especially with MOTUC He-Man, that was one is so many levels of awesome
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Maybe we can do this now that it isn't 2008-2009.

He-Man: Classics
    Man-At-Arms: Tie
    Skeletor: 200X
    Evil-Lyn: 200X
    Leech: 200X

I'm the flip side of VeeBs. Classics are the best MOTU figures ever, but 200X had better designs for the most part.

For me, 200X was MOTU catered to my now adult tastes. MOTU had evolved with not only more detail, but getting rid of the parts re-use by having unique sculpts on these great characters. It really hurt when Classics took one huge step back due to not having the insane budget that 200X must have had. As absurd as I found them during 200X, re-used parts was "in" again and unique sculpts was suddenly something bad. I'm not going from my childhood memories of the characters. That was 30 years ago. Today, I base my opinions from my current feelings.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    I think Classics He-Man is the best He-Man figure that we've ever had. Although I still yearn for a 200X He-Man variant, I like the classic costume a little better.

Classics Skeletor looked rather silly when you were coming off 200X Skeletor. My immediate criticism when he was unveiled was that he didn't look scary enough.

200X Man-At-Arms was a huge improvement over the original, having gotten rid of green parts re-use for an actual bodysuit. However, Classics Man-At-Arms is also great figure, having brought back the dark green fur from the 8 back, 2 heads and having additional weapons on his back.

Evil-Lyn finally had her own unique look in 200X and no longer re-used parts from Teela. I wish Classics Evil-Lyn would have come with her mini-comic cape...anything to further differentiate herself from Teela.

The Leech staction looks better than the Classics figure because of the hunchback of the torso and smaller head, not the overall design.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar

I also agree with this. I feel exactly the same way!
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

Very well said Veebs!! This is my opinion as well.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

from 200x i love all except :
    - Roboto ( i hate his feet)
    - he-man( maybe the worst but the staction is kool)
    - orko ( i dont like the design)
    - sorceres ( i dont like the design)
    - syclone ( i dont like the design)
    - tung lashor ( i dont like the design)
    - mosquitor ( i dont like the design and he needs blood!!)
    - rio blast ( i kinda dont like the design, he need 2 hands and the weapons should work)
    but have awesome ones like:
    - leech
    - clawful
    - grizzlor
    -two bad
    - whiplash
    - evil lynn
    - snake face
    - fisto
    - mantenna
    - jitsu
    -etc!!!

motu c i dont like:
    - female´s paint application except from catra that looks awesome
    - something on scare glow, i think the cape
    and i think thats all

i love trap jaw figure

for me 200x have awesome figures but some just dont even like them
    and classics have almost all a great figures but not awesome ( except for a few like trapjaw, battle cat, king hiss on human form because the goofy snake is not even nice)
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Motuc: He-Man, Man-At-Arm, Skeletor (their the originals which have become iconic images of the 1980’s)

200X: Evil-Lyn (as the MotU Evil-Lyn has unnaturally yellow skin that really puts me off)

No Preference: Leech (as I like both fearsome looking figures equally).

Agree with Veebs.

classics all the way - the 200X line was fun at the time but the look is played out for me

Heroic Warrior
    Good thread!

Definitely Classics: Man-At-Arms

Classics-with-reservations: He-Man, Skeletor (I like them better overall but would like some details carried over into classics, like a better hood for Skeletor or better hair for He-Man)

Definitely 200x: Evil-Lyn, Leech
    "Mind bottling, isn't it?"
    -Chazz Michael Michaels

http://www.patrickgarone.com

http://www.twitter.com/patrickgarone

Join the Facebook Group for my book, City of the Gods.

I prefer the look of the MOTUC figures, being based on the vintage designs.

But I prefer the construction, articulation, scale, and inclusion of action features of the 200X line. I never had a single 200X figure with loose ankles, 2 of the same feet, backwards shoulders, etc.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

He-Man: I choose classics. I thought the 200X He-Man sculpt was kinda awkward. The shoulders seem huge, which makes the head seem small. Everyone has a slight action pose (some more actiony than others, like with Tri-Klops) but it works with just about every one but He-Man! His pose is...I dunno...hunched? However, let it be known that if 200X He-Man was using the Classics buck, i'd be going with 200X.

Man-At-Arms: Now that's a tough one. I really like both designs, but unlike He-Man, I wouldn't want 200X MAA to use the Classic buck. There's too much detail and I love it the way it is. He-Man needed the Classic beef up, but barely any of the other 200X designs would benefit from the buck. So which do I choose? Undecided. I like the classic look for it's simplicity, and I love the 200X look because it looks more like MAA in years past, rather than an update. The left arm looks more like a robotic arm on the 200X toy, and I can imagine he's taken a lot of damage over the years. I can't choose one or the other.

Evil Lyn: Oh yeah, this one is an easy win for 200X. She never had a costume of her own, and the one the 4H designed for her was PERFECT. I don't hate the Classics one; it's still pretty awesome and since she share's Teela's outfit it makes me think of her as a rival evil goddess. However, if they make a 200X Evil Lyn, that will be my offical Evil Lyn. The Classics one will be someone else somehow connected to Evil Lyn.

Skeletor: Gotta go with the 200X one. The Classics one is awesome purely for nostalgic reasons. The 200X one still amazes me to this day. I can't help checking out the detail and the friggin' evil skull when I take the figure out. Every time, without fail. I just love how that figure looks, and the "retirement" of that look is a hard blow to MotU in general.

Leech: It'll be blasphemous to anyone who loves Leech, but I honestly don't see much difference in the styles. The head is a bit different, but otherwise it all looks similar enough to me. If it was based on style, I'd be indifferent, but based on the figures, I gotta go with Classics, because it's a toy and not a statue. I don't have any use for statues.

Hey, this was fun, man! Keep it up!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

You should have the He-Man and Evil-Lyn stactions there for comparison instead of the figure since they are so much better.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    With the exception of Evil Lynn I have to go with MOTUC and say it has the better overall look than 200x.

Especially with MOTUC He-Man, that was one is so many levels of awesome
    What he said.

If we're deciding strictly on design, I'd take all of the 200x except for MAA. His shoulder armor is a bit oversized to me. Same with 200x Trap Jaw. Aside from those two, I really liked the look of the 200x characters, especially the villains.

If you're talking about the figures themselves, then MOTU Classics is my preference for every character. The added articulation makes up for the more simplistic style, in my opinion.