Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 048 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 048 Discussion!

Episode 048 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Emiliano Santalucia, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

This is a Four Horsemen filled show as Eric Treadaway joins us for the second show in a row to chat about toys, sculpting and more!

Over the course of the show the crew touches on topics such as
    how the 4H deal with a creative block and a cramped office,
    how the 4H got their start,
    4H Easter eggs and Bow's supposed crotch heart,
    the sculpted dials,
    how the 4H react to fan feedback,
    why the 4H don't post more online,
    King Hssss' missing snake and crotch piece,
    action-figure joint size and visibility,
    action-figure component terminology and why figures are so expensive,
    King Hssss shoulder and Beast Man face paint poll results,
    Tytus' weapon,
    Battle Cat and sabre tooth tigers,
    the simpler elements of Adora and POP,
    and what toys Eric Treadaway likes.

MOTUC bios discussed in this show:
    (none)

MOTUC figures discussed in this show:
    (none)

Intro/Outro info:
    Song: Sunshine Patriots
    Album: Tyrants and Spies
    Band: Eisenhower Field Day
    Available to purchase on iTunes and CDBaby!
    ***Please support these Artists! Many are fans of MOTU and POP, and some are fans here in our community.

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Georg Schwitters also know as THE_RAW on the forums. George is a freelance fine art and commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.myspace.com/georgschwitters

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 58 minutes, 59 seconds

Direct link for Episode 048

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

First!!
    Transformers suck! and stuff

Downloading now

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    OMG! I can't wait to listen to this! So many answers to my burning questions!

Bow's heart crotch, why they can't post, King Hiss snake and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    First!!

Downloading now
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

only 2 more minutes away from a promising episode

Great to see Eric is on the show again, can't wait to listen to this episode now but probably want get chance until tomorrow.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    That episode is so informative, i have to listen to it a second time, maybe third
    Awesome and i have to repeat myself, i totally dig Erics and the other horsemens work!
    During the episode i admired my Panthor over and over. What an awesome Boxart head Eric has created there!

Listening to this right...NOW.

4H Please make the King Hiss from the poster.

I just about cheered when this was mentioned.

Coming from one of the people who could have been more pleased by Hiss' snake form, I would jump at any chance to get -that- snake form.

But for me the human side we already have is perfection. Exactly what I wanted and hoped for.

Evil and sees Everything. Someone Else's Avatar
    Somewhere between Science and Superstition.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post

Coming from one of the people who could have been more pleased by Hiss' snake form, I would jump at any chance to get -that- snake form.

But for me the human side we already have is perfection. Exactly what I wanted and hoped for.
    Well i'm guessing that your definition of "perfection" completly disregards the reversed shoulders and non funtional crotch piece.

Good episode, nice follow up to last weeks discussion. Nice to hear some serious and well informed toy discussion. I really like Erics outlook on toys overall. And his ability to really take on board some of the constructive criticisms regarding the figures. Very good, and very professional indeed.

I enjoyed the talk of the joints and what each one is capable of doing in a figure, e.g the importance of ab cruch for adding dynamic range to the expressiveness of the character. Listinening to him speak and it sounded alot like the way in which i think about the figures, so it was interesting to hear.

If i have one request, it would be..PLEASE do not abandon the exsisting female Thigh in favour of the more limeted Battle ground teela thigh. Sure it may be slightly more aestheticly pleasing, but posability will be significantly compramised as a result of the new piece.

Also, if you do take on King Hiss again, please remember to include a Tongue in the main head of the snake form. Because that is something else that is sadly missing from the classics release.
    Someone Elses Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RhythmShift

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Heck yeah!!! As far as I'm concerned you guys could never have enough 4H talk on the Gooble.

As for King Hiss, as one who was definitely very disappointed by the snake form (but a big fan of the human design!!!) I will say that weighing all of the other awesomeness Eric has contributed to our shelves he definitely deserves a pass.

What is curious is that while I get why Eric wouldn't have an emotional connection to Hiss, I don't understand how the same dude who has sculpted such monstrous and out there creatures would be satisfied by something so reserved and tame.

I get that it was trying to emulate the vintage design, but I don't remember anyone ever talking about how great the vintage snake form was, so it's a little confusing there, too.

I also can't help but think that the 1-2 combo of Mattel restricting interaction between the 4H and fans coupled with the vintage-only mandates helped create that particular situation.

I know Eric said there is no creative "control" to speak of since everyone's on the same page, but the Marzo hair and Whiplash head decisions say otherwise.

I think he was trying to recreate the vintage his snake form, and to be fair that vintage figure really did look very tame. So, his interpretation was literal and not sort of..emotional which is what fans really wanted to see. Myself included.

Glad he is aware of the Earl Norem painting though, andi hope he eventually gets a second shot at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone Else View Post
    Well i'm guessing that your definition of "perfection" completly disregards the reversed shoulders and non funtional crotch piece.
    Right Right. I could have been more clear. I mean perfect in terms of sculpting. I was really excited to see his human form. Such a breath of fresh air after the 200x Hiss. Not that I'm not a 200x fan because I am. Hiss was just one of the few designs I didn't care for.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone Else View Post
    I think he was trying to recreate the vintage his snake form, and to be fair that vintage figure really did look very tame.
    But again, if those original MotU designers would be making Hiss today (the premise of MOTUC, right?), they wouldn't have made him so tame, no doubt not needing to care about making the toy "too scary" or some other nonsense.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post

SO DID I!

YESSSSSSS!!!!!
    The 4H are aware of what we want! This is GREAT NEWS!!!!

Include this with a classic King Hssss, but give him an alternate maskless Bruce Timm head and corrected shoulders.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

@ lay Ze-Man: very true and i do agree with you, but part of why vintage Hiss was small and tame was simplt to fit inside the human shell and make up the action feature. If it were made with that idea in mind today it would still have to be small enough to fit inside the human shell. But, this line doesn't have action features and that's why the Classics Hiss snake form also frustrated me too. Because it carried though that design restraint from the vintage figure with no real reason. They could have gone all out due to the fact that the torso no longer has to fit into the human form shell.

@: Davidlogan: Yes, i know what you mean, and i am just teasing . When Hiss was revealed at last years SDCC i was so throughly impressed with the human form. it's just a shame that it was not translated as well in the final production. I mean, it looks good, but there really are some things which bother me about the final figure. e.g:

1: The shoulders
    2: the Crotch
    3: The armor preventing forward ab crunch articulation
    4: The Green colour on the final figure is very dull and not the same colour as the vintage figure.
    5: The crotch piece on the final figure is also not painted the same colour as the vintage figures red underwear. the vintage is far more vibrant.
    6: They used the standard Male buck rather than the Optik upper body buck. the reason why i say this is because, vintage king Hiss had removable arms, and as a child that was a MAJOR factor of the appeal of the character for me. Nothing was more exciting than having Hiss walk up to he man, disguesd as an aly and shake his hand, only to have the arm come off to reveal the snake arm inside.

I know it wouldn't work the same way, but since the removable arm torso is already tooled, they could have incorprated that into this Hiss figure, and it would have been a nice added touch.

Speaking of "Vibrancy" and paint colour, i have been noticing that many of the MOTUCs are very Dull in comparison to the colours of the vintage figures, and also to the colours that are usually seen in the prototypes. Hiss is another example of this, but it has been a constant problem with the line.

if you look for example Classics He-Mans shield, the paint is totally different in to to the vintage shield. The red in that is so much more vibrant, and the Classics version is a lot more dull and muted.

And its the same with Beast-Man and Stratos and many others. its always interesting to see how much different some of the early prototypes look in comparison to the final figures.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    SO DID I!

YESSSSSSS!!!!!
    The 4H are aware of what we want! This is GREAT NEWS!!!!

Include this with a classic King Hssss, but give him an alternate maskless Bruce Timm head and corrected shoulders.
    If they were going to tool a new Hiss head, id much rather see a sort of angry and evil expression on his face. Sort of like a "battle fury" Hiss head or something.

or alternativly a head which is eyeless with just dark black sockets and an open mouth in a pained expression. basically something which looks like loose skin with no skull inside like an empty mask. but that would be more of a cool accessory than a actual head. i can just imagine Skeletor holding up that empty Hiss mask in his hand or something.

Theoretically, it would be great to have a Variety of heads for Hiss, because in the end it is a disguse so he could change his look frequently. it would really add alot to the character I think actually.
    Last edited by Someone Else; May 28, 2011 at 01:40pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'd still love to hear the 4H thoughts on the reverse shoulders.

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks guys. That was interesting.

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I'd still love to hear the 4H thoughts on the reverse shoulders.
    This is what I was left wondering, too.

I liked this approach of RGD with Eric much better than the last. A lot less distractions from talking to Eric.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Robot Knights 2) Stridor 3) Night Stalker 4) Tung Lashor 5) Squeeeze 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back-half!) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 12) Saurod 13) Blast-Attak 14) Karg 15) Gwildor 16) Lodar 17) Mask of Power Demons

I think you guys did the perfect Bow! Whatever formula you guys used for Bow, please repeat on future PoP & NA figures.

If the Horsemen were females, Hsss's shoulders wouldn't have been reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    First!!

Downloading now
    Hey now! Transformers do not suck! Name any toy out there excluding toys like Barbie, Matchbox/Hot Wheels, and Lego that has lasted for decades? And watch your mouth! Emiliano has worked on them!

Great show! Love the whole segment regarding the cost of tooling and about the rise of action figures. Plus it's really cool to hear from the Four Horsemen. The behind the scenes info is just cool to listen too! Any chance to have them on to also answer fan questions. Of course with they getting Mattel's approval to answer some issues regarding figures and all.

Also like many, would love to see a new Hsss figure made! Would gladly take away many of the bonus figures or beast figures to get him made!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I feel like episodes 47 and 48 should be required listening for everybody on the forums. The talks with Eric have been very insightful... on so many levels... and I think folks would be a bit more forgiving with some of the shortcomings of MOTUC (the stiff crotch pieces, certain design choices, etc) if they knew what was going on behind the scenes a bit. Also, just hearing the discussion about the rising costs of making action figures in general, I look at my shelf now and think its nothing short of a miracle we have this toy line going on at all

Current mood: Calm

Just some friendly advice that I think will help.

1. Don't make a distinction (or such a big distinction) between MOTU and POP criticisms.

If you'll notice, whenever POP-related criticisms are being discussed, the mood sort of becomes combative; there's seemingly a need to bring up specific examples of past commentary from fans, and the tone becomes that of someone standing on a soapbox (ha!), whereas Eric tends to speak in broad strokes when it comes to the complaints about MOTU dials, King Hsss etc.

2. Occasionally make time to converse with the hardcore POP fans when they approach you on Facebook and your forums.

So far about 4 hours have been spent talking to your friends on Roast Gooble. We hardcore POP fans can barely get a sentence or two out of you guys.

3. Stop favoring Teela!

This gal got to start the first female buck. She got another one too...before She-Ra. I'd like to see some POP characters with major unique tooling to their bodies, as well as some major parts that can only be shared within POP.

Another really great episode. Great work everyone!
    END OF LINE

That was great, I really enjoyed it
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.