Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's happened to the quality of the line?

Court Magician

What's happened to the quality of the line?

I come to this forum a few times each year to see what is going on with the line. I am shocked at the amount of issues and generally cheap looking figures that are tossed out by matty now. To my eyes they don't look good anymore. I am interested in the HMATMOTU line- but lack of photos of final figures and the ever growing recent run of poor paint apps, wonky eyes and finished heads looking nothing like the sculpt- there's no way I would risk a sub. It would have been my first. I find the site to be confusing and poorly designed- not the type of site I'd feel comfortable giving my credit card details to. They make the figures so hard to buy- always sold out. It's all a bit of a joke.

And I've never seen the forum so grumpy. It's a shame as it had a nice feel to it before. I don't mean to drag it down further- just shocked at what I'm seeing from the poorly produced/neglected advertising/lack of availability/confusing website/wanting people's money before showing them what they will get/cost cutting/ moribund line.

The HMATMOTU line is THE line I have been waiting for. The prototypes are perfect to me. I have a bad feeling Matty will @@@@ it up somehow and a potentially successful line will be a huge flaccid flop. I really hope they come through- a triumphant return. It doesn't look so good though.

You say that you don't mean to drag it down further but it is threads like this that do perpetuate an overall feeling of negativity on the board.

Yes there has been a few missteps this year, but there has been every year. People will always find something to complain about.
    Unfortunately when something does go wrong a lot of people are extremely vocal about it, but when things go right (as they very often do in my opinion) people don't shout about it quite so much sadly.
    I mean look at the 200X sub, no issues at all with any of the figures as far as I am aware! I'd say it's far more likely that the HMATMOTU sub will provide us with 7 amazing figures than 7 defected ones.

As the new team has stated, the majority of the errors we are seeing are due to factory and painting errors that are largely out of their control. I would imagine that they are as disappointed as we are when things go wrong, if not more so. I do believe that they are trying their best to ensure that we receive the best figures possible and will learn from their mistakes for the most part.

I am still overall happy with the figures that I have been receiving and am very much looking forward to everything coming in 2016 and beyond.
    I think you should go ahead and sub, it is easiest way of ensuring you get all the figures.
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.facebook.com/lukespicerillustration

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    There are always highs and lows -- this is nothing new. How many times did fans think that Toyguru was "Killen Teh Lein" when he had periods of questionable decisions or when figures came out wrong? You could look up similar threads.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post
    You say that you don't mean to drag it down further but it is threads like this that do perpetuate an overall feeling of negativity on the board.

People will always find something to complain about.
    Unfortunately when something does go wrong a lot of people are extremely vocal about it, but when things go right (as they very often do in my opinion) people don't shout about it quite so much sadly.
    I mean look at the 200X sub, no issues at all with any of the figures as far as I am aware!

As the new team has stated, the majority of the errors we are seeing are due to factory and painting errors that are largely out of their control. I would imagine that they are as disappointed as we are when things go wrong, if not more so. I do believe that they are trying their best to ensure that we receive the best figures possible and will learn from their mistakes for the most part.
    ...But people are praising it...actually every body on these forums are(I see multiple posts about it daily)...So yes They are getting Credit, where Credit is due.

Out of the Teams hands..Yes, Out of MATTELS hands...No, They may have went with a different factory to cut costs..and it is showing...most fear when Thay announce and sing "next year figure will be $20" that means cost cutting with this new factory or what ever they are saving on. So yes it was a business choice(that is None of or business...but it is once the figures hit our hands) why so much factory errors all at Once???

Heroic Warrior
    This year has been a mixed bag for me. The 200X figures are a home run. And a lot of my main line figures have been amazing as well. The main issue I have had is derpy eyes, which really does ruin a figure. And I think it's evident that to cut costs the deco on weapons has been scaled back in some cases. But for whatever nitpicks, I gotta say when I look at my shelves I am pretty thrilled with what i have. But I do think critiquing the figures is how we get them better and it's necessary.

What bugs me is the lack of detail and shading in the paint apps (starting with Lizard Man there's been a disturbing lack of shading), and the mangled ankle articulation (which should still be there, but there's slightly too much material to allow full range of motion).

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    What bugs me is the lack of detail and shading in the paint apps (starting with Lizard Man there's been a disturbing lack of shading), and the mangled ankle articulation (which should still be there, but there's slightly too much material to allow full range of motion).
    I agree about the details and the paint apps. There's a lot of missed opportunity there.

I think we've had some of the best figures the line has ever had this year. I would take 2015 over 2014 or 2013. But the last few months, they seem to be asleep at the wheel. A tremendous amount is going wrong.

Why is the board negative? Please re-read the first paragraph of this post. That's the only reason.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Heroic Warrior
    Oh look, another one! Must be close to a figure release, the complaint threads are on the rise.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    I think they had to sort of choose which figures would get more deco or less deco to hit certain price points. Also they had to choose which ones would get better articulation. For the most part they made good decisions, but some figures just felt a bit slapped together.

And who knows? Again, maybe the factories are just not doing things right?

Quote Originally Posted by CapricornDefender View Post
    Oh look, another one! Must be close to a figure release, the complaint threads are on the rise.
    So, you're posting a complaint that you don't like complaints?

Enjoy!
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    So, you're posting a complaint that you don't like complaints?

Enjoy!
    Hey Super 7, Snake Mountain rocks! Let's Kickstart it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post
    As the new team has stated, the majority of the errors we are seeing are due to factory and painting errors that are largely out of their control.
    That is crazy talk. They control the vendor they use. When a vendor produces poor quality, you fire the vendor and find one that works. Instead, they are passing the failure along to the customer and telling us T.S., this is what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    That is crazy talk. They control the vendor they use. When a vendor produces poor quality, you fire the vendor and find one that works. Instead, they are passing the failure along to the customer and telling us T.S., this is what you get.
    You're absolutely right. And if the vendor makes a mistake, you refuse the delivery and make them do it right, which is what they ARE now doing with 2 of the upcoming figures. You don't just "not notice" and then let the sub-par merchandise make it to the customers.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet you'll hear it again!
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

I grew up on the cartoon so this is the subscription for me. I am good for one. A lot of the figure issues I have had this year have been women so I'm sure the chances of this one being so poorly botched are small.

I agree that I wish I could see a figure in the packaging and ready to go so I could of made a more informed decision, but the figures are back to $20 for subscribers and that is a huge bonus to me. I think Skeletor and Trap-Jaw look amazing from their prototypes and since we're not talking crazy detail I feel like they will be able to translate these pretty well. The 200X line this second half has been really good so I'm in for this one.

Only complaint with this line atm is that I wish I saw a carded figure so I could decide on a second for a MOC set.

Otherwise, these are the figures I've been waiting for and I wish they would stop saying 2.0 because I don't see them as 2.0 variants. I think they can stand on their own. I hope we get more then this first wave of 6. This is something I would subscribe a few years for because I love the Filmation look of a lot of the figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamandra View Post
    I agree about the details and the paint apps. There's a lot of missed opportunity there.
    Unpainted weapons too. When it was just Blade, that was fine, I can handle that. But now it seems like every other figure. Just compare the paint on Grizzlor's weapons or the Grayskull weapons rack to some of what we've seen lately.

When's the lst time we saw a pair of reversed forearms?

Has black plastic returned?

How long has it been since a figure's pelvis or torso cracked?

What about ankles that go so loose it can't stand?

Or bendy foam that rots?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    When's the lst time we saw a pair of reversed forearms?

Has black plastic returned?

How long has it been since a figure's pelvis or torso cracked?

What about ankles that go so loose it can't stand?

Or bendy foam that rots?
    Nah. We have a whole new set of poor quality issues now. Pretty cool huh?

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post

At least there's still levity out there about everything.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Quality comes and goes with this line. If you look at any 12 month period, you'll see some really great and some not so great quality figures.

I don't think there has really been a constant decline at all.

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    YEah, well, my point is, the old quality issues in the "the toys used to be good" period were actually worse than the derp eyes we've got now.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Quality comes and goes with this line. If you look at any 12 month period, you'll see some really great and some not so great quality figures.

Agreed. This forum is probably the only reason I even know about supposed quality issues.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The management of the line was so well-handled earlier in 2015, but somehow there was a serious decline in quality and service since after SDCC. The fans were actually PRAISING the new team at Mattel.

Something must have happened behind the scenes at Mattel around that particular point.

So I guess the general feeling is intense disappointment. The multiple issues coming out back-to-back from the new team are so irksome, they make the tempestuous and polarizing Toyguru Era look good by comparison with fans who had problems with TG's term.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    YEah, well, my point is, the old quality issues in the "the toys used to be good" period were actually worse than the derp eyes we've got now.
    I would happily take loose ankles over Unpainted weapons. Loose ankles are an easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    Agreed. This forum is probably the only reason I even know about supposed quality issues.
    Agreed.

But this happens here every year when there's a clear case of a QC issue that pops up like PD Teela. "the QC has been on a steady decline for a while now"....
    You can go back to the release of the first King Hsss with the fat armor & reversed shoulders and you'll see the same "the QC has been on a steady decline for a while now" comments.

QC issuse always slip through the cracks every once in a awhile. Take derpy eyes, that's a common issue with action figures in any factory produced line that will raise it's ugly head from time to time. It's happened before on an occasional figure and it'll happen again at some point. It sucks, but what are you going to do other than hope it doesn't happen to one of your favorite characters?