Thread: Support for a classic toy Mer-man?

Support for a classic toy Mer-man?

MOTUC Mer-Man is one of my top three favorites, and I love his cardback look, but he's SO different from the vintage figure, that I don't get that same nostalgia feel from him like I do some other figures.

That said, I would LOVE to see a new Mer-Man with all green Kobra Khan arms and legs, orange trunks and greenish yellow armor and sword like the original.

It would be a great way to refresh the character, and folks could use them as generic Mer-Men army builders.
    What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Skeletortilla; September 30, 2011 at 10:48am.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

I'm in! He needs to come with some unique accessory though. Any thoughts?

How about an ear of corn?

Quote Originally Posted by bobshumway View Post
    I'm in! He needs to come with some unique accessory though. Any thoughts?
    How about a seashell battle horn? I think that would be freaking awesome.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Mer-Man is my favorite character so I am all about getting viable variants for him. I'll take it.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    If they were going to do a more bluish-teal Mer-Man, better to do the Filmation Mer-Man, with the finned head rather than furry ears!

Harness is basically like ye olde toy, except that the bottom is integrated into a unique belt, rather than the bow (?!) of the toy.

I don't care about getting a Filmation version, but a more Vintage toy looking Version could be cool; I'd use him as a Mer-Minion as I do the TRU repaint.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Toy Mer-Man in Classics

When Mer-Man was translated to the Classics series, the design selected was from the art featured on the vintage toy packaging. This is quite different than the actual toy we played with as children, and I feel that in time there should be a place for this arguably more memorable design in the line before it ends. There are several key differences:

* More vibrant orange color in his face.
    * Orange loincloth.
    * Scaled skin-colored shins (same used by Dragon Blaster Skeletor).
    * Scaled skin-colored forearms and hands (same used by Dragon Blaster Skeletor).
    * Toy-accurate chest armor with different colors, secondary straps wrapping around his stomach, no spikes, more accurate fins on his shoulders and belly button.
    * Toy-accurate sword complete with guard over hand.
    * No detailed neck piece (this was also specific to the card art).

Your thoughts?

Last edited by AdultCollector; May 15, 2014 at 08:20am.

When i was a kid it really bugged me that Merman didn't look like the package or cartoon or art so I was happy to finally have the right one..lol. I think he's perfect and would not buy a toy accurate version. I would like a Filmation accurate head though! If they did the body you want with that Filmation head Im in!

Can't say I'm terribly interested, but I wouldn't be against it. I keep the classic head on my original ever since I got the blue VS pack version. Kinda covers it for me, I guess. Sometimes they make some massive improvements over the vintage figures, and no figure is a better example for that than Mer-Man.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I saw a real cool custom version that someone made that used the Dragon Blast body to make Mer-man. I can't find a picture of it now to post.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    When i was a kid it really bugged me that Merman didn't look like the package or cartoon or art so I was happy to finally have the right one..lol.
    Agreed! Merman has always been considered one of the most perfect figures in MOTUC. Although I can understand the nostalgia behind your wishes, I have no interest in a "toy accurate" version of Merman since his toy version wasn't accurate to his original design.

Including an additional Filmation head accessory would be okay.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

We could receive Mer-Man's Filmation head as well as cartoon accurate armor with a swappable gem at the bottom so you can add the toy accurate fins to it.

What bugs me more than anything is that loin cloth. Think I'll have to buy another Mer Man...
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    We could receive Mer-Man's Filmation head as well as cartoon accurate armor with a swappable gem at the bottom so you can add the toy accurate fins to it.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...ED/Mer-Man.png
    See...I would buy that for the head.

Vintage toy Mer-Man is one of my most wanted figures.

"There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I cannot agree. Seems pretty much the same. Oh I recognize the "differences" but cannot get worked up about him. IF for no other reason that I absolutely do not want yet a 3rd Merman. One is enough.