Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Females - Loose Ankles!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar

2013 Females - Loose Ankles!

Just thought I'd start this topic as I've noticed this year pretty much all the females except Shield Maiden have loose to very loose ankles. This shouldn't be happening this late in the line as the male ankle issue was resolved by covering up the ankle peg. Seeing as most of the females this year have had unique boots why weren't the joints covered for them?

Octavia, Netossa and Shokoti all have loose ankles and I posed Castaspella around yesterday and she too has a very loose right ankle.

I'm concerned because we've been told we're going to get more POP characters over the next 2 years - most of them have heavy wings, backpacks, tails attached to their backs - this issue has to be looked at.

Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me?
    WISHLIST
    Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Sorceress of Serpos Teela ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~
    Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast Robowoman ~ DC He-Man ~ DC She-Ra ~ DC Stratos

I have it with both netossa and octavia.
    WISHLIST: Green and Purple Mask of Power demons, Blastar, Panther/Cat Men, Peekablue, Prince Dakon, Rotar, Twistoid, Kayo, Vizar, Lizorr, Sagitar, Quakke, Mara (prototype), Garth, Blackbeard, Gleedal, Gargons, Garn (mini-comic), Hawke, Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Stripe, Granita, Brainwave, Contractor

Heroic Warrior
    2013 Females - Loose Ankles!
    This is a DELIBERATE decision from "the Company" ! If female figures had received the 2.0 ankles, like some males have, this loose ankle problem would be nothing but a bad memory.

I don't understand very well why ALL MOTUC figures don't have the 2.0 ankles by now : it would certainly suppress loose ankles altogether !

I think we pay enough for those "high end adult collector figures" to get decent articulations...

Female figures always seem to have some kind of problem in this line. Plus, their issues are never addressed, and at this point (2014 is going to be the 6th year of this line, so you'd think they had enough time to learn from their past mistakes and to correct them), I begin to suspect that it's actually something that is wanted by the management.

My Octavia's ankles aren't loose, but she's so heavy that they can't support her well.

My Shokoti's ankles are a little loose, just enough to make it difficult for her to stay in some more complex poses.

Bring on MYP Sorceress! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Female figures always seem to have some kind of problem in this line. Plus, their issues are never addressed, and at this point (2014 is going to be the 6th year of this line, so you'd think they had enough time to learn from their past mistakes and to correct them)
    The worst offender is Teela 1.0 for sure. Bobble head, rock hard one-piece outfit that greatly reduces articulation or any possibility of sitting on Battle Cat or any other animal. Mattel really needs to release a Teela 2.0 just like they did with She-Ra. They can fix her ankles while they're at it.
    MYP Sorceress is a MUST HAVE figure for MOTUC!

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I have to concur. A lot of my female ankles are loose which causes them to fall off the shelves all of the time. Let me see, there's: She-Ra, Octavia, Catra, Castaspella, and Shokoti (that I can think of off the top of my head).

What is the best way to "tighten" them?

MOST WANTED MOTUC figures:
    Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Despara, Quakke, Master Sebrian, Tuvar, Bahdrah, Stridor, & Snake Mountain.

MOST WANTED PCS statues: Mer-Man, Whiplash, Buzz-Off, Sy-Klone, Ram Man, Tri-Klops, & Two-Bad.

*My iTrader Feedback
    *My MOTU_Maniac Feedback Thread

My Octavia has loose ankles but is able to stand well on her own. I don't have that problem with Netossa. Catra has very loose ankles, seems that the cape and the long hair is too heavy for her.

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I've had a lot of luck on both male and female figures y wrapping the little clear rubberbands that the figures are tied down with in the blisters around their ankles tightly (working them up into the joints), and then snipping off the ends so that they don't show. Teela and Man At Arms are my weakest ankled figures, and both stand and pose with no problem after I did this little fix.

By far, my worst female figure with loose ankles is She-Ra 1.0.
    Octavia is good for the most part (a little loose but doesn't really preventing her from staying upright.) My Castaspella is pretty loose though.

(Why can't they get the ratchet ankles like the male figures?)

The only ones i have trouble with are Adora, hers are so loose that she can't stand at all i have to lean her against something. She-Ra 1.0 very loose and Catra's are more loose than i would like but as Mad Scientist said above i think alot of it has to do with her being top heavy cause of her hair and cape.

This year, my Netossa is the biggest culprit re: loose female ankle syndrome. I've been pretty lucky with the others... some are a bit loose, but not loose enough to cause them to fall over every five seconds.
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    It's definitely not just you. I was looking at my 2 new figures last night and thought the same thing. My Octavia has got to be the worst. I eventually applied a little bit of super glue to tighten her ankles up as I was becoming quite irked at having to stand her back up everyday.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

I haven't had any problems with any of my females from 2013 with loose ankles. Octavia did fall over a couple times, but I think its more because she's heavy and off balanced. Probably my female with the worst ankles is Capt. Glenn. We have a weekly battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post

No, I am as well. To me it is a quality control issue that has not been resolved but not widespread to every figure..

However, one thing I've learned is just because an issues lessens the value for me doesn't mean that rule applies for everyone. Plenty of collectors are more than happy to do an at home modification to eliminate the problem and many more don't even care. As the majority are happy with the loose ankle to stable ankle ratio, the process in place is providing an acceptable level of value to people. As such, I expect it to continue.

Now please understand I am not speaking with any sense of entitlement or presumed knowledge about the toy industry.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

octavia and shotopi have loose ankles on mine. casta and netossa were both tight.

Heroic Warrior
    I've had no problems with any of the girls I own thus far, from this year's crop I've got Octavia and Sherrilyn and they're both fine *shrugs*

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher of Madness View Post
    I've had a lot of luck on both male and female figures y wrapping the little clear rubberbands that the figures are tied down with in the blisters around their ankles tightly (working them up into the joints), and then snipping off the ends so that they don't show. Teela and Man At Arms are my weakest ankled figures, and both stand and pose with no problem after I did this little fix.
    Thanks for info. I am going to try that.

MOST WANTED MOTUC figures:
    Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Despara, Quakke, Master Sebrian, Tuvar, Bahdrah, Stridor, & Snake Mountain.

MOST WANTED PCS statues: Mer-Man, Whiplash, Buzz-Off, Sy-Klone, Ram Man, Tri-Klops, & Two-Bad.

*My iTrader Feedback
    *My MOTU_Maniac Feedback Thread

Octavia and Netossa have loose ankles, but Sherillyn, Castaspella, and Shokoti seem fine. I wonder why they have not designed ankles with the pins covered like they have done for the male figures. This seems to have resolved the loose ankle syndrome on the male figures.

Given the ratio of male masters to female masters, I'm not too surprised to hear quite a few have some loose joints.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    My Shokoti figure definitely has weak ankles, but otherwise I'm OK...I think the only other figures I have significant issues with on this are She-Ra v.1, Mo-Larr, and Tri-Klops.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    Octavia and Netossa have loose ankles, but Sherillyn, Castaspella, and Shokoti seem fine. I wonder why they have not designed ankles with the pins covered like they have done for the male figures. This seems to have resolved the loose ankle syndrome on the male figures.
    I've thought about that myself, as many of the females have newly sculpted boots I wondered why using closed pegs wasn't a good route to improve. Then I wondered if it may increase the thickness of the ankles turning them into cankles.

Visually, closed pegs look slightly larger than open pegs, I'm likely not going to measure them for verification or anything.

I'm sure there is knowledge about the toy industry process I just don't have regarding this issue.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    my Netossa is fine My Shokoti is a bit loose but not horrible, Sherrilyn isn't loose but her shield seems to throw off balance a bit. My Octavia though is very loose and has trouble balancing. I haven't got Castaspella yet I hope she's okay as she's one of my favorites.

This does need to be fixed -they also need to give the females back their boot cut articulation.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

After all these years, they still haven't fixed the Ladies....how sad. All the Male bucks have been fixed for the most part and have peg-less boots and tighter joints, yet, the Ladies are still sporting pegs even on the new boots....

And yes, my Casta, Shokoti, Octavia, Netossa....all had loose ankles (Casta & Shokoti, however the tightest of the mentioned, yet still looser between ratchet spots), yet Sherrilyn, my least favorite of the bunch, has tight ones....go figure. Plus Frosta, Sherrilyn and Octavia have a bit of a bobble head still.

Find a way to fix the Ladies Scott....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    This does need to be fixed -they also need to give the females back their boot cut articulation.
    Yes, they do. The boot cut added a little more realism to the figure, now the boots look molded on, instead of looking like legs actually go down inside a pair of them.
    Recent.... Lizard Man
    Coming....
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I'm doin' good. Octavia has moderate ankles, but the tentacles on her back can weigh her down so it makes it worse. Castaspella and Shokoti are doing great, though. In fact I went and checked my older figures and Catra and Adora are doing pretty good as well. Maybe in the moderate area, but I don't have any problems posing them. I'd say my only female figure I can really say has "weak" ankles is She-Ra, and even then I can get her standing without a problem. Just need to tweak her a bit more than others.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Yes, my She-Ra has very loose ankles, but I didn't seem to have the same problems with my other female figures.
    Master Sebrian for MOTUC!