Thread: DC Reboots Universe.

Hybrid View

DC Reboots Universe.

Starting this summer, the publisher will re-number its entire DC Universe of titles, revamping famous characters such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and others from its 76-year history for a more modern and diverse 21st century.

The first book to be released under this new era: Justice League No. 1, out Aug. 31, a series by writer Geoff Johns and artist Jim Lee that reunites the famous lineup of Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Johns promises a focus on the interpersonal relationships within DC's trademark superteam. "What's the human aspect behind all these costumes?" he says. "That's what I wanted to explore."

In September, more than 50 more first issues will debut, introducing readers to stories that are grounded in each character's specific legend but also reflect today's real-world themes and events. Lee spearheaded the redesign of more than 50 costumes to make characters more identifiable and accessible to comic fans new and old.

"We looked at what was going on in the marketplace and felt we really want to inject new life in our characters and line," says Dan DiDio, who co-publishes DC with Lee. "This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

In an even more important move in the competitive comics industry, DC is making issues of all the renumbered titles available digitally via apps and a DC website the same day they arrive in comic shops. It marks the first time a major comics publisher has done so with its popular superhero titles.

The company has come in second to Marvel every year since 2002 in market share, according to Diamond Comic Distributors.

While the two companies are making millions off movie adaptations of their comic books, print sales for both have dropped in recent years, as new technology gives readers many more options.

"We're allowing people who have never bought a comic book in their lives to download them on portable media devices and take a look," Lee says. "Having the ability to give people access to these comics with one button click means we're going to get a lot of new readers."

He says what makes this plan so ambitious is that it's not just about changes in characters or costumes but setting the stage for how comic books will be consumed in the future.

"We're trying to set the table for the DC Universe's future success and health."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/...einvents_n.htm

I just sounded off on this in The Official Super Hero & Comic Book Thread.

Figured this was massive enough for its own thread.

I don't mind renumbering most of the titles, but its a shame to do it for Action, Detective, Superman, and Batman.

More here:

The revamp will reportedly involve "introducing readers to stories that are grounded in each character's specific legend but also reflect today's real-world themes and events."

Jim Lee reportedly "spearheaded" the redesign of more than 50 costumes to make characters "more identifiable and accessible to comic fans new and old."
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/DC-U...nt-110531.html

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Figured this was massive enough for its own thread.
    Yeah, it probably is...
    I just tossed it in the other thread because we'd been talking about this as a rumor a while back.
    No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I don't mind renumbering most of the titles, but its a shame to do it for Action, Detective, Superman, and Batman.
    I think the renumbering thing is silly in general.
    Especially for things like Xombi and Batman, Inc that have less than 10 or so issues out already.
    It's even worse on Action and Detective, though.
    But I'm sure they'll go back to the old number on them within a couple years.
    Bill :: guitargod694

I read some of this stuff before, like Wally West being de-eaged back to Kid Flash and Bart Allen going off permanently... It's ballsy, definently.

The digital distribution was LONG overdue, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    Especially for things like Xombi and Batman, Inc that have less than 10 or so issues out already.
    Rumor mill says that Batman Inc. will be rushed to a conclusion pre-reboot and will not be among the restarted titles... Who knows about Xombi...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Rumor mill says that Batman Inc. will be rushed to a conclusion pre-reboot and will not be among the restarted titles.
    Interesting... and what of Grant Morrison on batman?
    Done, or back on Batman or Detective?

Also, I'm sure it's not more titles than they are currently publishing,
    but 52 #1 issues sounds like a lot.

Didnt Marvel re-number there stuff a few years ago and change back?

Also is this a new "universe" within DC (like Marvels Ultimates) or are they re-booting the mainstream DC Universe?

JAG2045
    My feedback
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=108414
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hlight=jag2045
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=117706

Great traders: Blue-jackal/Fneh(2)/Daz/Royalt1us/Evil-Orko/Buythepower/Booster/Adora/Zodac101/tokyonever/lemure77(2)/Vess(2)/Scorpia/Buzzsaw Hordak/miscus555/tmc1984/General Hawk 7

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Didnt Marvel re-number there stuff a few years ago and change back?
    They did on a number of books, and have slowly been changing them back.

What DC should do is what Marvel did for a time - put both numbers on the issues. For example when they restarted Daredevil with a #1, they kept it that way until around #20, at that point they put the new number big, but added in what the original number would be under it in a much smaller font.

But then for some reason around issue 80, they stopped putting the original number and only used the new. Then around issue 120 they went solely back to the original number (which happened to be 500) and have stayed there.

They did similar things with Thor, Fantastic Four, Hulk and some others. Its been a mess, and I doubt the short-term positives outweighed the long-term headaches.

V-neck collars are indeed stupid.
    Superman just doesn't look right without red trunks. You look at him and your mind goes "There's something missing".

I wish they'd stop drawing costumes to look so damn tight.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/jim-lee-i-wont-fk-this-up-plus-your-handy-dc-comics-reboot-roundup/

Bleeding Cool has tons of other Post-Flashpoint Tidbits.

Superman and WW hooking up? The earth will move...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Chronically Groovy Mighty Puundragon's Avatar
    In some ways I think that this is a good and bad idea. One thing they need to do is to keep exact dates and real historical figures out of it. I was just reading the New Teen Titans where Terra betrays the team. When she dies her tombstone reads 1968-1984. So in the last decade when Cyborg and others appeared in newer Titans titles does that mean he was in his 50's? The same book was also talking about Michael Jackson, because he was huge at the time. Singers and actors are fine to mention but don't actually show them. It dates the material.

Marvel is a universe that could use some of this too. Nick Fury and Cap are both from World War II. How much longer can they go with that? The Punisher is a Vietnam Vet, so was my dad at the tail end of the war and he just turned 60. In 15 years is Frank Castle going to kill mobsters on his Rascal Scooter?

In my opinion just reboot Universe with all the characters established with their most well know origin at about year two or three into the Superhero boom. We don't need to start with the first time Batman puts on the cape and cowl. They can do an origin flashback in issue 7. Don't change the costumes to much. You will destroy the icons that made the company.

This should also be done on a smaller scale. They only need one comic per character and just one JLA and JSA. No Justice League Miami or other spin-offs. And don't do titles like Atom, Blue Beetle or Booster Gold. They are great characters but don't need their own titles to start with. Especially don't do things like Animal Man or Adam Strange titles. Leave D-List characters as guest stars.

There's $.02 for you

I also wrote a long-winded speculative post that's too long to post here, but if anyone is interested, check it out:
    http://offmybirdchest.blogspot.com/2...ot-part-2.html

I really do think they need to scale back the number of titles (marvel also).

I would go with

Superman
    Batman
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern
    Flash
    Aquaman

Justice League
    Justice Society
    Teen Titans

Action Comics
    Detective Comics

+2-4 limited series

With Justice League and Society, I would more less leave Society has it is now a partially older team training some younger characters. With Justice League have characters with solo titles (specifically those mentioned) be considered founding or inactive members and they make special guest appearances.

Action and Detective comics would both be like they are now anthology type series.

The limited series would be a currently popular character or team and would last for up to a year.

So total 13-15 titles, and yes there are characters and teams I would love to have put up in that list.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

New information: Female DC characters will be redesigned to be more modest and less fanservice-y. Pants for everyone, apparently. No more Supergirl skirts.

Thoughts?

Action Comics to restart at issue #1?!!

Is anyone else upset about Action Comics (or Detective) restarting at #1 with all the other 52 of DC's comics?

I feel like I've been waiting my whole life to see Action hit #1000, and now it's past 900 and I feel like we are almost there...except they've decided to retart at #1, apparently because people only buy comics if there is a #1 on the cover...

DC is resetting their universe again and they've decided to start all their major titles with issue #1. I'm guessing it is an attempt to get new readers for their comics.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

I suppose they can always do what Marvel did and renumber at the anniversary.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    The whole thing is going to be bad. Renumbering is just one of the many horrible things to come.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Apokoliptian Ravager Mr. Roboto's Avatar

Batgirl #1

Can someone fill me in on what happened in this book? It was all sold out before I could read it? Thanks.
    "Once a symbol of terror, I will make this a symbol of honor."

Bang your head!!!
    I think your question is somewhat answered on page 25 of the DC Reboot thread
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...209458&page=25...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto View Post
    Can someone fill me in on what happened in this book? It was all sold out before I could read it? Thanks.
    In a nutshell:

We are introduced to a new villain, The Mirror, whose MO is he hunts down and kills people he believes should have already died. (Barbara Gordon is on that list.)

We see Batgirl take down a gang of serial killers on her first case since getting the use of her legs back. We aren't told how Batgirl is walking again. We are told by Barbara it was a miracle, and them the subject is glossed over and saved for a later issue.

We see Barbara living with Jim Gordon, but by the end of the issue she's moved out and has a roommate. This version of Barbara doesn't have the deep pockets that Oracle had, so she shares her new place with a roommate who doesn't know she's Batgirl.

The Mirror attacks again, this time in a hospital, killing a guard and cop on the way to his intended victim: the leader of the serial-killer gang (who is in the hospital because Batgirl slashed his hand with a batarang). Because Batgirl routes all her dad's texts to her phone, she gets an alert of the attack and unveils a cool new Batgirl cycle.

Batgirl gets to the hospital in time to save a cop The Mirror is about to kill, but when the villain turns the gun on Barbara, she freezes in fear -- presumably because of PTSD. The villain acts swiftly, throwing his victim out the window as Batgirl watches, frozen. The cop screams at Batgirl for letting him kill the maan, and The Mirror turns to leave as Batgirl thinks "What have I done?!".

The end.

It's a good comic. Solid action with good characters and themes. I hope you enjoy it!
    I want to smurf your smurf.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    you can purchase and view on your pc, mac, android, iphone etc. at comixology.com

(BTW I merged this with the DC Reboots Universe thread)
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    Another example of why I rarely bother to talk about Wonder Woman with people not educated about the character or gender awareness. Time to use my ignore button.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...1_182441_n.jpg
    I said I was done arguing, but now that I'm on ignore, I'm just talking to myself and the other forum members here.

I don't get annoyed when people bring up sexism. I find it exasperating when people cry sexism, racism, etc when it really isn't there(especially considering we're talking about a fictional character). That sort of crying wolf makes it that much harder for legitimate claims to be taken seriously in the future.

I seriously doubt it.
    Wonder Woman doesn't sell since she's more iconic than popular(Superman is similar to a lesser extent). Most comic readers these days are adult males and a lot of them don't have much interest in her. Maybe if the people who come out of the woodwork to say "sexism"(like Gloria Steinem) every time something is done to Wonder Woman actually tried to get more of their friends, family, etc to buy her comics, she'd be more popular.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; October 17, 2011 at 11:16pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Wonder Woman doesn't sell since she's more iconic than popular(Superman is similar to a lesser extent). Most comic readers these days are adult males and a lot of them don't have much interest in her. Maybe if the people who come out of the woodwork to say "sexism"(like Gloria Steinem) every time something is done to Wonder Woman actually tried to get more of their friends, family, etc to buy her comics, she'd be more popular.
    Yeah, I think that's the problem.
    As a character and an icon, she is quite popular.
    I just don't think there's a lot of cross-over between the people that love Wonder Woman and the people that buy comics.