Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Reboots Universe.

DC Reboots Universe.

Starting this summer, the publisher will re-number its entire DC Universe of titles, revamping famous characters such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and others from its 76-year history for a more modern and diverse 21st century.

The first book to be released under this new era: Justice League No. 1, out Aug. 31, a series by writer Geoff Johns and artist Jim Lee that reunites the famous lineup of Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Johns promises a focus on the interpersonal relationships within DC's trademark superteam. "What's the human aspect behind all these costumes?" he says. "That's what I wanted to explore."

In September, more than 50 more first issues will debut, introducing readers to stories that are grounded in each character's specific legend but also reflect today's real-world themes and events. Lee spearheaded the redesign of more than 50 costumes to make characters more identifiable and accessible to comic fans new and old.

"We looked at what was going on in the marketplace and felt we really want to inject new life in our characters and line," says Dan DiDio, who co-publishes DC with Lee. "This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

In an even more important move in the competitive comics industry, DC is making issues of all the renumbered titles available digitally via apps and a DC website the same day they arrive in comic shops. It marks the first time a major comics publisher has done so with its popular superhero titles.

The company has come in second to Marvel every year since 2002 in market share, according to Diamond Comic Distributors.

While the two companies are making millions off movie adaptations of their comic books, print sales for both have dropped in recent years, as new technology gives readers many more options.

"We're allowing people who have never bought a comic book in their lives to download them on portable media devices and take a look," Lee says. "Having the ability to give people access to these comics with one button click means we're going to get a lot of new readers."

He says what makes this plan so ambitious is that it's not just about changes in characters or costumes but setting the stage for how comic books will be consumed in the future.

"We're trying to set the table for the DC Universe's future success and health."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/...einvents_n.htm

I just sounded off on this in The Official Super Hero & Comic Book Thread.

Figured this was massive enough for its own thread.

I don't mind renumbering most of the titles, but its a shame to do it for Action, Detective, Superman, and Batman.

More here:

The revamp will reportedly involve "introducing readers to stories that are grounded in each character's specific legend but also reflect today's real-world themes and events."

Jim Lee reportedly "spearheaded" the redesign of more than 50 costumes to make characters "more identifiable and accessible to comic fans new and old."
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/DC-U...nt-110531.html

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Figured this was massive enough for its own thread.
    Yeah, it probably is...
    I just tossed it in the other thread because we'd been talking about this as a rumor a while back.
    No worries.

I don't mind renumbering most of the titles, but its a shame to do it for Action, Detective, Superman, and Batman.
    I think the renumbering thing is silly in general.
    Especially for things like Xombi and Batman, Inc that have less than 10 or so issues out already.
    It's even worse on Action and Detective, though.
    But I'm sure they'll go back to the old number on them within a couple years.
    Bill :: guitargod694

I read some of this stuff before, like Wally West being de-eaged back to Kid Flash and Bart Allen going off permanently... It's ballsy, definently.

The digital distribution was LONG overdue, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    Especially for things like Xombi and Batman, Inc that have less than 10 or so issues out already.
    Rumor mill says that Batman Inc. will be rushed to a conclusion pre-reboot and will not be among the restarted titles... Who knows about Xombi...

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    Didnt Marvel re-number there stuff a few years ago and change back?

Also is this a new "universe" within DC (like Marvels Ultimates) or are they re-booting the mainstream DC Universe?

JAG2045
    My feedback
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=108414
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hlight=jag2045
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=117706

Great traders: Blue-jackal/Fneh(2)/Daz/Royalt1us/Evil-Orko/Buythepower/Booster/Adora/Zodac101/tokyonever/lemure77(2)/Vess(2)/Scorpia/Buzzsaw Hordak/miscus555/tmc1984/General Hawk 7

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Rumor mill says that Batman Inc. will be rushed to a conclusion pre-reboot and will not be among the restarted titles.
    Interesting... and what of Grant Morrison on batman?
    Done, or back on Batman or Detective?

Also, I'm sure it's not more titles than they are currently publishing,
    but 52 #1 issues sounds like a lot.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    I'm honestly not surprised, DC has done reboots before. I'm curious to see how they handle the characters and what is really changed. I'm not sure why Wonder Woman needs to go through another change, as she just had an update recently (And I'm not really feeling the silver elements I see in her costume).

To me, the bigger news is the digital distribution for all of their titles. That is huge. I've been wanting something like that for quite some time, as I enjoy reading my comics on the iPad. I'm glad their being as bold as they are and are going in this direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    To me, the bigger news is the digital distribution for all of their titles. That is huge. I've been wanting something like that for quite some time, as I enjoy reading my comics on the iPad. I'm glad their being as bold as they are and are going in this direction.
    My caveat in that regard is... are these comics I even want to READ? I kinda doubt it. Like I said in my other post, I think this may shape up to be the thing that pushes me away from monthly comics in general. I've stuck with DC for decades... my whole life, really. I understand them wanting to remain relevant, but I think this is misguided. I love Geoff Johns, but Jim Lee has proven to be outdated. He's still a very good artist, but his design skills are really stuck in the 90s. I'll give them a shot, but it's going to be very... I dunno... "guarded?"

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Didnt Marvel re-number there stuff a few years ago and change back?
    They did on a number of books, and have slowly been changing them back.

What DC should do is what Marvel did for a time - put both numbers on the issues. For example when they restarted Daredevil with a #1, they kept it that way until around #20, at that point they put the new number big, but added in what the original number would be under it in a much smaller font.

But then for some reason around issue 80, they stopped putting the original number and only used the new. Then around issue 120 they went solely back to the original number (which happened to be 500) and have stayed there.

They did similar things with Thor, Fantastic Four, Hulk and some others. Its been a mess, and I doubt the short-term positives outweighed the long-term headaches.

They did similar things with Thor, Fantastic Four, Hulk and some others. Its been a mess, and I doubt the short-term positives outweighed the long-term headaches.
    I'm honestly surprised that they still bother with this...
    The sales charts I've seen usually indicate that there is a slight bump for one or two issues, then back to business as usual.

And I know I personally more often use these relaunches as a dropping off point than a jumping on point. *shrug*

And in the cases where that isn't what happens, I tend to think it has a lot more to do with the content than the number and that people would be there for the revamp whether it was issue #1 or issue #478.

But I'm not in the comic biz, so maybe I'm way off.

Heroic Warrior
    I've been out of comics for a few years (always planned on getting back into reading though) and this is an interesting decision. I think I will start again with the "new" #1s, I love Lee and Johns so JL seems like one I'll get. I would like to know if there is an incentive to buy a printed copy you would also receive the digital copy? I'm a collector (obviously ) and love the actual book, but I think reading digitally would be a better way to read.

This will definitely rile up the fanbase for DC though. But as others have said it will probably last a few years or less then fall back in line with the old continuity.

I like it and have been saying for some time that both companies should have started doing this years ago, about every 7 years or so to do a full on reboot. You could have still had all the great stories from the past but not have been the need to bring in the past XX number of decades into the story.

I think it's a much better idea than the continual series of soft reboots, reinventions etc that people can't accept because it doesn't tie into the past.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    If this were something like Marvel's Ultimate universe, I'd see no problem, but from what I've read this afternoon, I can't get too excited about this.

We'll have to see what transpires, but this could finally be it for me - I have gradually worked down from about a dozen books a week to going in to a comic store every three or four months to catch up on Batman. I just haven't been enjoying them anymore, and a lot of it is due to constant stunts and 'who will live/who will die/nothing will be the same ever again until a year from now when we reverse it" approaches.

Too soon to tell, of course, but I have my doubts.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Heroic Warrior OverlordSkeletor's Avatar
    I read on a comic news site that titles like Action and Detective would take place outside of the DCU proper and would retain their original numbering. I Hope that's what happens because it would be a shame to lose that kind of history. Though with that said I think that could be good coming out of this because I have enjoyed the DC Universe of late.
    Grief Is The Price We Pay For Love

Live The Life That Unfolds Before You

Browncoats stand up and be proud.

Looking Backward Is Fine But Going Backwards Isn't

Actually this may be the first time I can think of where starting over with #1s makes sense.

They probably will never increase the number of people that buy physical comics, but with the idea of "day and date" digital issues, they may finally have a way to expand their audience. And a whole bunch of #1s will be a lot less intimidating to people new to comics.

The good:
    • An approachable entry point combined with digital media.
    • Grant Morrison writing a Superman comic.

The bad:
    • Releasing 50-some new titles in 1 month means that a few will be A-List quality, but the vast majority of them are going to be written by many of the mediocre to poor writers at DC, which could turn off the new "fans".
    • Apparently Jim Lee's idea of "current" is small v-neck collars:

Last edited by BCI Guy; May 31, 2011 at 09:03pm.

The digital copy approach interests me. I don't have room for paper copies anymore.

Also, are they starting over with origins of characters who were created later, or will characters like the different Robins, Supergirl and Superboy, or Wondergirl all be established already? I wonder if Batgirl will already be Oracle for example. It'd be interesting to retell that stuff, or even change it, but I'll be sorry if characters are written out of existence or changed beyond recognition.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I don't get it, what are they doing exactly? So basically all my Green Lantern comics are getting rebooted? No more other Corps? What?

If this is what's going on, I'm done with DC. I refuse to have to start all over again LOL This is because of the whole DC losing the rights to certain aspects of Superman's history, isn't it? So they'll reboot them all.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

If anyone needed to reboot it's universe, it was Marvel. I'm not really that much of a DC fan, but it was alright to me...

I hope Starfire or Power Girl's outfits aren't touched too badly...

I guess Jim Lee decided to fix the "problems" of the iconic heroes--Superman is missing his underwear and Wonder Woman is missing her bathing suit.

But Wonder Girl and Superboy really need actual costumes and not those "street clothes".

I wonder why Cyborg is in this picture and not J'onn?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    im sure this will last for about a year or till they change back to the old writers and artists

I predict this is a 1-2 year stunt and that the resulting changes will end up being part of Grant Morrison's planned Multiverse books, with everything going back to normal.

This is Super-cool! I may just have to get myself an iPad just for this... I would love to have a good ground floor starting point for the whole DCU, I've wanted taht for a long time. While I can see why some will have isues with this, I for one am thrilled!

So far, I like the new looks for everyone, too.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I predict this is a 1-2 year stunt and that the resulting changes will end up being part of Grant Morrison's planned Multiverse books, with everything going back to normal.
    I know, right!

The way comics are going now, the big two might as well just make limited series of all it's books, so they start at #1 all the time. This renumbering thing is ridiculous.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I am torn on this. Part of me doesn't care and part of me does.

I do not care at all about numbering but I know many do. As others have stated they should just dual number certain comics like "Action Comics".

I LOVE that they are finally doing day and date digital since they NEED to do this as do all other publishers. I have not bought a monthly book in YEARS. I only buy trades or hardcovers and I only buy those after I read them on my Ipad and deem them worthy of my shelf.

The redesigns and reboots I am not too keen on. I LOVE Green Lantern now and I do not want everything swept under the rug.

I have read comics for over 20 years now and KNOW that no matter what happens in comics that every few years things get rebooted or brought back to the 'core'. Things will never "never be the same" since these characters are intellectual properties and therefor have to always come back to square one.

I DO love all the nerd bickering back and forth on various message boards though...

What they NEED to do is start doing graphic novels and get away from the monthly rags.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Heroic Warrior OverlordSkeletor's Avatar
    The thing with Cyborg being on the team started with the most recent retooling of the League where he was brought in with most of the original Teen Titans taking on their mentors' roles on the team like Grayson being Batman and Donna Troy being the Wonder Woman analogue.
    Cyborg is important in the current event Flashpoint and that is going to make changes some of which will actually make changes to status quo outside of the event from what I understand. More or less with this we are going back to the way that Grant Morrison relaunched it in '90s which brought everybody that were the big guns like Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.
    With that said let's look at the picture. A few things of interest to me in that picture. First Wonder Woman doesn't look quite herself I know its a different costume and everything but there is something about here that just looks different. I wonder which Batman it is Grayson or Bruce I would be happy with either. It could be either because both are being used as Batman but I would suspect it would be Bruce because the major point as far as I understand the point of all of this is to bring the major characters back to what everybody knows of their major mythology therefore we will have Bruce as the Bat, Clark as Superman and Diana as Wonder Woman.
    Overall though I am excited because I am a BIG DC fanboy. My favorites being Green Lantern, Green Arrow, and Batman so pretty much the last few years have been good to me.
    Grief Is The Price We Pay For Love

Live The Life That Unfolds Before You

Browncoats stand up and be proud.

Looking Backward Is Fine But Going Backwards Isn't