Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Reboots Universe.

Huge mistake:

DC Comics confirmed this afternoon that the digital versions of its DC Universe titles will be priced at $2.99, the same as its print editions, for the first four weeks of release before dropping to $1.99. Oversized issues will start at $3.99 and drop to $2.99.
    2 bucks is probably a bit on the high end for something you don't tangibly own - although not horrible I guess.

But starting out at 3 bucks each and trying to get NEW fans? People who aren't comic fans have no idea just how outrageously expensive they've become, and a 3 dollar entry point for 22 pages of store will scare many people off.

Lee doesn't seem to work best when coming up with a concept for an established character, also most of the art he puts out for them tends to look rushed. But then he is also the lead art guy for DCuniverse online.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Huge mistake:

2 bucks is probably a bit on the high end for something you don't tangibly own - although not horrible I guess.

But starting out at 3 bucks each and trying to get NEW fans? People who aren't comic fans have no idea just how outrageously expensive they've become, and a 3 dollar entry point for 22 pages of store will scare many people off.
    So they are going to launch 52 Issue #1's and going to keep the price the same for the online editions?

Unless the first few issues are just gripping in content I cannot see their plan working out. I mean hardcore comic buyers already have a hard time paying $3 for 22 pages, and they know the industry
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    So they are going to launch 52 Issue #1's and going to keep the price the same for the online editions?

Unless the first few issues are just gripping in content I cannot see their plan working out. I mean hardcore comic buyers already have a hard time paying $3 for 22 pages, and they know the industry
    Yep... and how many of those will be oversized #1 at $3.99?
    I'm guessing quite a few.

They also announced a "bundle" deal where you can get a physical and digital copy of Justice League #1 for $4.99

I dunno, I remain quite hesitant about all of this.
    But I'm not a huge buyer of DC comics anyways.

As long as they leave Vertigo alone, we're cool.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Why are they charging the same as they would for print? Shouldn't digital copies be cheaper without cost of materials? If it's not cheaper, I think I'd rather wait for collected editions. If I don't get around to buying those either, I guess I'll have saved the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Lee doesn't seem to work best when coming up with a concept for an established character, also most of the art he puts out for them tends to look rushed. But then he is also the lead art guy for DCuniverse online.
    The bad thing is little of this will age well. Virtually every hero created in the 90s by Lee and the other Image guys already look horribly dated and Lee is just churning out more 90's looking stuff for this relaunch. So its out of touch before it even comes out.

I don't think Lee understands at all what made these costumes that were created in the 40s-70s really timeless.

But then I would never hire a near 50 year-old (with a 20 year outdated fashion sense) to re-imagine an entire line designed to bring in a new (ie: younger) audience.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Why are they charging the same as they would for print? Shouldn't digital copies be cheaper without cost of materials? If it's not cheaper, I think I'd rather wait for collected editions. If I don't get around to buying those either, I guess I'll have saved the cash.
    They'll be a dollor cheaper than the print comics once they get past the first issue.

But that 3 dollar entry point for a digital file that will provide 10 minutes of entertainment is going to be a tough sell.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; June 2, 2011 at 07:28pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

That Wonder Woman costume still looks like barf. All those sharp angles - NOT Wonder Woman's character. I wish they'd just buy the rights to Xena already, since that's what they seem to want to publish instead.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I don't see the purpose of digital versions. You cannot take them on the bus, read them on the toilet, or put them into the box with the other comics from the same series if you just get them. Same reason why I think people who buy video games that are digital only are stupid. In fact, I feel the same way about anything, music and movies too. Why buy something you don't get to physically have? You don't get anything to look at other than a computer screen that says you have it. Plus, if something happens, you lose that item forever (like if all electricity just stopped working). Not to mention you cannot sell it if you do not like it.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I don't see the purpose of digital versions. You cannot take them on the bus, read them on the toilet, or put them into the box with the other comics from the same series if you just get them. Same reason why I think people who buy video games that are digital only are stupid. In fact, I feel the same way about anything, music and movies too. Why buy something you don't get to physically have? You don't get anything to look at other than a computer screen that says you have it. Plus, if something happens, you lose that item forever (like if all electricity just stopped working). Not to mention you cannot sell it if you do not like it.
    I don't mind digital comics as much since I read them on the iPad, but I would not pay the same price as a printed issue. I feel the same way for all digital media, it should always be cheaper than the physical counterparts
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Er, you can take them on a bus and on the toilet. It's called an iPad (or other tablet.) You could put the iPad in a longbox if you really wanted to I suppose.

For me, I don't like a ton of STUFF around. I already have too much. Going digital with my music collection has been awesome. And you DO own it. It's just on a hard drive. You just have to back up your hard drive either onto disc or wirelessly to a backup. I do both. Also, most comics services let you re-download to your hearts content if you somehow lose the file locally. I LOVE the idea of reading comics digitally. I don't want to resell them or collect them. I'm sick of long boxes. I get trades now and again, but having everything digitally would be amazing.

The biggest stumbling block is A.) Publishers are afraid to go same day (kudos to DC for making the leap, though IDW already did it) and B.) The price. Boo to DC on that. I just don't think the market will accept a book being the same price. And waiting a month is lame as well.

I understand WHY they won't go same-day digital with a lower cost - they don't want to screw over comic shops. But there will be a day when they'll just have to accept that they can no longer support them in the same way. That'll be sad in some ways, but it's the way things are going.

I think $1.99 is an okay price for a new book. If it's older than a year, it should go down to $.99. If they do that, they could potentially really open up the market to a lot of people who don't read comics right now.

All first issues should be .99, then issues 2+ could go up to 1.99.

DC is doing it totally backwards. You don't overcharge for the first in a series and then give people a break. Its basic marketing, you have to have to have a low price to get people to try.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
    im sure this will last for about a year or till they change back to the old writers and artists
    More than likely. From my observations, all DC Comics are any more are big, crossover stunts that are supposed to "change the DCU forever!!!" and always end up being undone before year's end.

And, Superman looks more like Superboy in that pic. The S looks stupid and isn't the Superman S. It's a cross between the "electric" Superman S and the Kingdom Come Superman S. Costume I could care less about, but don't touch the S.

And Wonder Woman is even less star spangled now. Is there really something THAT wrong with having comic book superheroes written and drawn and marketed in the USA from having their patriotic themes in the costumes??

At least Marvel doesn't do that "internationaling" with any of their patriotic superheroes like Captain America.

Superhero comics are just completely stupid nowadays and this announcement just further assures me that my decision to quit the comics has been a wise one.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Charging the same for digital copies as for the print version is a huge mistake. Printed media are dying, but that doesn't mean people will pay the same for a digital copy, which has no material, shipping and whatnot costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Charging the same for digital copies as for the print version is a huge mistake. Printed media are dying, but that doesn't mean people will pay the same for a digital copy, which has no material, shipping and whatnot costs.
    The problem is if they come out day and date with the printed comics and cost less, they're going to speed up the death of the LCS.

Its a bit of a rock and a hard place.

The problem is if they come out day and date with the printed comics and cost less, they're going to speed up the death of the LCS.

Its a bit of a rock and a hard place.
    That's how DC reason, but it's the wrong point of view. What they should be concerned for is not whether they will compete against LCS's or not, it's whether their digital distribution is competitive against pirate scanners or not. It's hard to beat "download any comic for free", but the lower the price point is, the higher the chance that people will actually pay for it.

All first issues should be .99, then issues 2+ could go up to 1.99.

DC is doing it totally backwards. You don't overcharge for the first in a series and then give people a break. Its basic marketing, you have to have to have a low price to get people to try.
    I read that as issue 1 will be 2.99 for a month then will drop to 1.99 when issue two comes out which will be 2.99 for a month then will drop to 1.99 when issue three comes out which will be 2.99...
    ------
    CDs have by and large lowered their price to compete with digital sales, but they were overpriced to begin with especially at specialty stores. Places like Walmart did more to kill off those places.

Kindle and Nook typically have their ebooks in the range of a paperback (granted both have far more sales on items then physical copies ever see).

The problem is comics are kind of on the expensive side for amount of entertainment you get.

But then Marvel seems to be doing better than DC, and their comics cost a buck more an issue.

I think the best things comics can do now, strip down to ~15 titles, go digital day of release, lower cost by a dollar, and get back into the grocery/convenience store. Unfortunately this will kill off most local comic shops.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Green Lantern News

Kyle not only survived the purge, but now leads the Rainbow Lantern Corps.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Green Lantern News

Kyle not only survived the purge, but now leads the Rainbow Lantern Corps.
    Its about time he is given his due, I am so tired of Hal tbh

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Er, you can take them on a bus and on the toilet. It's called an iPad (or other tablet.) You could put the iPad in a longbox if you really wanted to I suppose.
    Except I don't want an iPad or any other tablet. I don't even own an MP3 player.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Except I don't want an iPad or any other tablet. I don't even own an MP3 player.
    You said you didn't see the purpose, and that it couldn't be carried with you. Simple reason is this, most people are running out of space because of all the other stuff they have and don't have the desire to go down to spend 50 bucks a month for a metal shed locker.

The only big disadvantage is like you said, one more way to lose the stuff. But someone can steal it either way*, a fire can burn it, water can destroy it, your three year old child can break it (granted a bit easier to break a comic than an tablet), etc.

So while you don't, I and many others do. I want to live in a world were you can buy both digital and hard formats, I like both. But I am not trying to force people to only getting one, and I don't think those who are making product are either.

* Stealing a tablet has other issues than stealing physical stuff. There is the guy who got busted because the guy used the webcam to take pictures of the guy who stole his stuff. With serial numbers etc you can replace your item, replacing what you downloaded may or may not be possible, but replacing your comic collection would be just as difficult.

Fair enough, but that isn't the same "not being able" to take things with you.
    You can... you just don't want to. That's fine... digital comics aren't for you.

Me neither. At least not yet.
    I still want the physical ones.
    Same with CDs... but to be honest, all I do is rip them and put them on a shelf.
    It's kinda stupid, really. But it's what I want.

Oh, and if electricity goes away completely...
    CDs and DVDs will be just as worthless and MP3s and iPads.
    Bill :: guitargod694

The problem is comics are kind of on the expensive side for amount of entertainment you get.
    Very expensive bang for your buck. There are too many other, cheaper types of entertainment vying for a limited pool of money. The long-time collectors who have watched the prices increase over the past decades may be a bit numb to it all, but I can't imagine the sticker shock new consumers will experience when they see how much 22 pages costs them.

For the price of 2-3 comics, I can by a novel that will give me maybe 8-10 hours of enjoyment verses 20-30 minutes.

My old weekly trip to the comic store yielded a few hours of reading. For the same price I could buy a new video game that would keep me occupied for a week.

The only physical comics I buy anymore are ones by my favorite artists, and I treat them almost as "mini art books". I'll buy trades or hardcovers of stories that I really want - and that have "re-readability" to me.

Very expensive bang for your buck. There are too many other, cheaper types of entertainment vying for a limited pool of money. The long-time collectors who have watched the prices increase over the past decades may be a bit numb to it all, but I can't imagine the sticker shock new consumers will experience when they see how much 22 pages costs them.

For the price of 2-3 comics, I can by a novel that will give me maybe 8-10 hours of enjoyment verses 20-30 minutes.

The only physical comics I buy anymore are ones by my favorite artists, and I treat them almost as "mini art books". I'll buy trades or hardcovers of stories that I really want - and that have "re-readability" to me.
    This is one of the differences than a novel, you are paying partially for an art book. I would compare the price to manga, but most manga doesn't seem to have the quality of art that a comic does (detail, color etc), of course part of the reason comics are so expensive is the paper they are using. That right there is my confusion as to why they aren't offering them cheaper online sooner. I know that stuff isn't cheap and they are making less headway than DVD/CDs are.

This is one of the differences than a novel, you are paying partially for an art book. I would compare the price to manga, but most manga doesn't seem to have the quality of art that a comic does (detail, color etc), of course part of the reason comics are so expensive is the paper they are using. That right there is my confusion as to why they aren't offering them cheaper online sooner. I know that stuff isn't cheap and they are making less headway than DVD/CDs are.
    Manga is much more affordable than American comics - especially the anthology books put out in Japan. Its a much better business model.

I read that as issue 1 will be 2.99 for a month then will drop to 1.99 when issue two comes out which will be 2.99 for a month then will drop to 1.99 when issue three comes out which will be 2.99...
    That's what its starting to sound like. So for a month all comics will be the same price as physical copies, you can only buy them at a discount after 30 days.

So its better for the LCSs, but I doubt its going to bring new consumers in any appreciable number.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; June 3, 2011 at 02:39pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost