Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Reboots Universe.

It's what Shokoti has been saying in the comic thread. Which is fine in many cases. I would prefer them to have stuck with Zatanna's costume though even for that instead of what I guess to be the corset and leather pants version we see on the cover of Justice League Dark. Also part of the reason I was hoping they adjusted Martian Manhunter's costume.

I could also see a stronger leaning towards comics becoming more and more about the movies that are made.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I am somewhat upset by the retconning of the golden age of superheroes. Not having the JSA and all those other heroes around in WWII feels weird, like the universe is missing the most important part. Probably because I have always been a golden age fan foremost.
    It didn't click in my head until just yesterday, but the whole "Superman is the first super hero" does mean that there was no Golden Age, so no JSA and... no JSA off-spring? There's Black Canary, but no sign of Obsidian, Jade, Jessie Quick, etc. Does this mean NO Power Girl at all? Does she no longer exist? Where is The Huntress? The modern character isn't tied to the Golden Age or Batman directly at all, so why is she left out? And I don't recall seeing any reference to Dr. Fate or The Spectre either. Is everything relating to Earth 2/the Golden Age nonexistent? (Except Black Canary.)

Also, what about the timeline? Is Action Comics set in the past? I kind of assume it has to be, otherwise, EVERYTHING would be starting from scratch and if that were the case, Nightwing would not have ever been Robin (guess the same goes for Jason Todd and Tim Drake). And yeah, after thinking about Teen Titans, it DOES seem like Tim just becomes Red Robin and never functioned as Robin and it also doesn't seem that Wonder Girl is in anyway affiliated with Wonder Woman. If so... dumb! That just makes the Titans a bunch of young heroes, not the sidekicks of established heroes. Why should I care about that?

I keep going back and forth on this whole thing. I'm all on board with Batwoman at the very least and I'm optimistic about Batgirl and Aquaman. I'm going to try Wonder Woman and Justice League, just because NOT buying Wonder Woman just feel wrong. Everyone keeps saying wait a year or so and everything will be going back to normal, but I really hope that it's not too late and that all the lifers haven't dropped DC completely. Because trust me, collecting comics, as much as I love them, can be a chore. I suspect if I drop them completely, I won't be coming back, no matter what changes.

Could the latest Superman reboot be a way to circumvent DC's loss of legal rights to the original character?

From: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...n-copyright%2F
    THE LEGAL VIEW: The DCU Relaunch and the Superman Copyright
    By Jeff Trexler

The September relaunch of the DC universe has raised a number of questions about the future of current continuity and the comic marketplace. But does it have legal implications as well?

Given the recent history of Superman and Superboy, it’s only natural that some people are wondering whether the event has some connection to the Siegel lawsuits. For example, in 2006, DC killed Superboy and the Earth-2 Superman and Lois Lane–the DCU versions of the Golden Age Siegel and Shuster originals. Not coincidentally, this story appeared as the Siegel heirs were prevailing in the first round of their effort to claim the Superboy copyright. After another judge vacated this ruling in 2007 and strongly suggested that the Siegels were not likely to become sole owners of the Superboy copyright, Superboy miraculously came back to life.

A more gruesome commentary on the Superman case followed the Siegels’ landmark 2008 victory in reclaiming Jerry Siegel’s half of the copyright to the Superman material in Action Comics #1. One year later the Earth-2 Superman and Lois Lane returned as undead Black Lantern zombies out to take the living Kents back to their dead Pa.

As PR from the September relaunch reveals that the Superman and Superboy will have curiously redesigned costumes and altered continuity, a recent article in Variety would appear to confirm that the Siegel lawsuits have once again made their mark. According to this report, the case affirming Neil Gaiman’s co-ownership of Medieval Spawn could serve as precedent for treating a distinct new version of Superman as a legally separate character from the Superman created by Siegel and Shuster. By this line of reasoning, the relaunch would establish a clear foundation for making DC the sole owner of the current Superman and Superboy, leaving the Siegel and Shuster heirs with nothing except the original–and far less lucrative–Superman from 1938.

Does copyright jurisprudence establish a relaunch exception to creators’ rights? Is Neil Gaiman to blame? My first series here at The Beat will explain how recent speculation on this issue misses the mark–and why the greatest threat to the Siegel heirs’ victory may actually be Grant Morrison.

[Jeff Trexler is a lawyer and consultant and a comics fan who writes frequently about how legal matters pertain to comics.]

Last edited by supes78; June 12, 2011 at 04:48pm.

This was brought up in the comics only thread. It's possible, and I have always find the whole thing kind of ironic in that Warner is often in the lead of pursuing those who break copyright etc. Not that Warner is breaking the copyright they have. But even more ironic if they use said money gained from infringers to help with this legal battle.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by supes78 View Post
    Could the latest Superman reboot be a way to circumvent DC's loss of legal rights to the original character?
    There a great number of people who believe this is the major force behind it, because when the decision came down a few hours later we started getting rumors that a big event would happen.

Some have also implied that Flashpoint (because its so short in nature) was done solely to give them an out to make major changes if the decision was against them on the Superman issue.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Warrior OverlordSkeletor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    It didn't click in my head until just yesterday, but the whole "Superman is the first super hero" does mean that there was no Golden Age, so no JSA and... no JSA off-spring? There's Black Canary, but no sign of Obsidian, Jade, Jessie Quick, etc. Does this mean NO Power Girl at all? Does she no longer exist? Where is The Huntress? The modern character isn't tied to the Golden Age or Batman directly at all, so why is she left out? And I don't recall seeing any reference to Dr. Fate or The Spectre either. Is everything relating to Earth 2/the Golden Age nonexistent? (Except Black Canary.)
    I read that they were going to be retiring the JSA for a while. I suspect though that when it comes back it will take place on another of the DC Universes Earths just like it did after the Crisis On Infinite Earths.

I could be wrong about that though because they seem to be merging different Earths into one as seen with the Wildstorm characters coming into the regular DC Universe. It kind of bugs me them doing that but it could make for an interesting book you never know.

If the JSA are gone they will be missed because that has to be one of my favorite series because I love the feeling of history that it has.
    Grief Is The Price We Pay For Love

Live The Life That Unfolds Before You

Browncoats stand up and be proud.

Looking Backward Is Fine But Going Backwards Isn't

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I was thinking about the costumes and what Jim Lee said about how much extra stuff is added to them when adapted to movies.

I wonder if the edict in the costume design for the reboot/launch is to make them more "movie friendly"?
    Thinking and looking about it some more, Supergirls' boots probably won't work in a movie I could be wrong but doesn't seem like it to me. And Harley's outfit would also be more likely to have wardrobe malfunctions.

Heroic Warrior

More Titles Coming

Here is the opening paragraph of an article I read.

So DC's initial wave of revamped new #1s for September 2011 have been revealed. We say "initial wave" (not be confused with "First Wave") because we hear strong indications that other, new DCnU series are already in development, and of course we already know Grant Morrison's Batman, Incorporated will return in 2012 with a new #1.

STORMWATCH #1
    Written by PAUL CORNELL
    Art and cover by MIGUEL SEPULVEDA
    On sale SEPTEMBER 7 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+
    They are Stormwatch, a dangerous super human police force whose existence is kept secret from the world Directly following the ominous events of SUPERMAN #1, Adam One leads half the Stormwatch team to recover the [INFORMATION REDACTED] from deep in the Himalayas. Meanwhile, Jack Hawksmoor and the rest of the Stormwatch crew look to recruit two of the deadliest super humans on the planet: Midnighter and Apollo! And if they say no? Perhaps the Martian Manhunter can change their minds...

SUPERMAN #1
    Written by GEORGE PEREZ
    Breakdowns and cover by GEORGE PEREZ
    Art by JESUS MERINO
    On sale SEPTEMBER 28 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
    The new adventures of Superman begin here! What is The Man of Steel's startling new status quo? How does it affect Lois Lane and The Daily Planet? There's no time for answers now, because Superman must stop a monstrous threat to Metropolis - one that he somehow is the cause of!

---------------

Umm.....

So in the first month of the reboot/launch, they have one book picking up a story from a 2nd book that comes out 3 weeks AFTER the first book?

Meet the new boss....same as the old boss....

Umm.....

So in the first month of the reboot/launch, they have one book picking up a story from a 2nd book that comes out 3 weeks AFTER the first book?

Meet the new boss....same as the old boss....
    oh yeah that is going to help new fans out greatly
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Here is the opening paragraph of an article I read.

So DC's initial wave of revamped new #1s for September 2011 have been revealed. We say "initial wave" (not be confused with "First Wave") because we hear strong indications that other, new DCnU series are already in development, and of course we already know Grant Morrison's Batman, Incorporated will return in 2012 with a new #1.
    That sounds nuts! 52 titles alone was nuts, but MORE? Is anyone here actually planning to read ALL 52 books? What's really too bad is that some of the more offbeat genre books or books about lesser-known characters may actually be pretty good, but get lost in the stampede, won't find their audience and get canceled to make way for the next wave of new #1s.

Out of curiosity, what titles is everyone here planning to buy? And will you buy the actual books or go digital?

ME:
    Batgirl
    Batwoman
    Aquaman
    Wonder Woman
    Justice League of America
    Justice League International
    Mr. Terrific (Not sure I'll like it, not big on the espionage thing...)
    Firestorm
    Birds of Prey (but suspect I won't like it...)
    Legion Lost
    Legion of Super Heroes (looking forward to Lost more than the core book, though.)
    Teen Titans (REALLY bracing myself for this one, though!)
    Blue Beetle

I'll probably try the Superman and Batman books, maybe Flash and GL. We'll see!

Oh, and I think I'm going to make the move to digital. No more piles of junk all over the place! Yes!

Yeah really, expecting us readers to pick up all 52 new titles feels like they're just tossing a bunch of cards at us and seeing what sticks....52 pickup? .
    And as if it wasn't more 90s remminicient, wasn't Legion Lost as 90s event originally? It definitely has the 3-boot look to it and as I recalled nobody liked that version. I honestly enjoyed the Adventure Comics story with the new Legion Academy with the new characters introduced, really loved Dragonwing's design if anyone hasn't seen her:
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    Out of curiosity, what titles is everyone here planning to buy? And will you buy the actual books or go digital?
    I'll still be getting the physical copies... I'm old I guess.

And honestly, there aren't any titles that are a definite buy for me right now.
    Maybe Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Action Comics, and/or Suicide Squad.
    Maybe.

I'm tempted to just trade-wait them... but other than Action, those are the kinds of titles that are at risk to get canceled.
    So if they are good, I feel I should buy them as singles.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not getting getting all 52 titles not matter what promo my local comic shop will do. Even though it's good to have the first issue of any comic. Grantit it may be 50 years till they're worth something. if at all.

I will be getting physical copies.

I will be getting:
    GL
    GL Corps
    Red Lanterns
    GL:the new guardians
    JLA
    Aquaman
    Firestorm
    Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    I'll still be getting the physical copies... I'm old I guess.
    Age has nothing to do with it, many of the teens I work with still buy CDs, the ones who play video games still buy disks etc. And trust me my location is not the best for any of that.

As for me probably still the Green Lantern titles, I have been reading Birds of Prey, Batgirl, and Zatanna, and I had kept meaning to get into Teen Titans. So not sure, might pick up Justice League Dark and Birds of Prey and not sure about starting with Teen Titans.

Yikes....

(Looks at Superman cover) , why is he wearing what looks like a physical suit of armor. He is Superman!

Not a fan at all

Armor?! Superman don't need no stinkin' armor! On the upside, the S shield doesn't look that bad. It's better than the way it looked on the JLA cover. The other slight upside is that this artist (who is this, by the way?) managed to make all those extra lines including the infamous shin-armor work well together. That's one bright spot, it's more streamlined and cohesive and not as fussy as earlier images.

Also, DC revealed that Justice League and Action both take place five years earlier than the bulk of the books, so that accounts for Superman's farmer look on the Action cover.

Why is Jack Harkness dressed up like Superman?

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Yikes....

Absolutely awful...jeez
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    (Looks at Superman cover) , why is he wearing what looks like a physical suit of armor. He is Superman!

Not a fan at all
    I think they are just raised seams or piping on his costume. BEcause Jim Lee can't stand having any expanses of costume without loads of extra "detail".

Evil Master of Warcraft
    /facepalm.

between that cover and the renouncing his citizenship thing I'm going to have to change the tattoo on my arm.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...e%26id%3D32809

A lot of those new books aren't getting more readers.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...e%26id%3D32809

A lot of those new books aren't getting more readers.
    I think we could have figured that out without the survey

I think the only book that is really going to benefit from this is Aquaman, and only because they are giving it attention and a good writer...something they could have done without needing to reboot the whole damn universe

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"