Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Reboots Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    Actually, Odessey has long ago dropped down to below what the numbers were when Gail Simone's run on the title ended. It's been a pretty awful story - but that's what happens with Wonder Woman. People (and DC) only focus on the fascade of the character (costume changes), as opposed to the actual character and the personality traits that *really* make Diana Wonder Woman.
    Sales numbers spiked because the costume change drew national news. Which does kind of go back to what I said about publicity. When one of the characters makes national news their sales spike for a month or so.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Also most of the ones who complain tend to be the ones who want more realism, and my response is maybe comics need to embrace the unrealistic more. When they did in the past they sold better, of course you had the dark age but maybe it's time for the Age of Enlightenment and return to that. I see more and more people groaning over Nolan's Batman franchise. And DC has an opportunity to lead out in that. But they want to follow Marvel.
    This is how I feel as well. While DC's sales are behind Marvel, they have been most of the time since Lee & Kirby built the Marvel Universe. A lot of Marvel fans have jumped ship from Marvel & started buying more DC(if not started buying DC for the first time ever) due to DC being the more traditional superhero universe while Marvel has gone further & further away from what originally made them popular. I have a feeling with DC "going Marvel" they're going to lose more readers than they gain which in turn will hurt the entire industry overall.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    That costume isn't bad but, while it makes sense, it doesn't feel like Wonder Woman. Similar to how someone like Batman would never have a kid sidekick(at least not the version we've been stuck with since Year One), would wear bulletproof armor, wouldn't wear a cape, and wouldn't wear briefs on the outside of his costume(yes, I realize some of that has changed). It doesn't make sense but it hasn't hurt the character's popularity over the years. While Wonder Woman comes from a warrior culture and has killed at times(although so has Superman), she is way more peaceful than soldier-like. It doesn't make sense, but neither does a magical lasso or a girl made from clay.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; August 8, 2011 at 01:42pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    DC's decision to hastily retouch and re-draw art to remove Wonder Woman's pants is one of those things that just shows how badly thought out this is. They are listening to a group of fans who don't even buy Wonder Woman's comic, and are robbing themselves of the best opportunity to turn her into something more than a joke.

Oh well.
    This is psssssing me off about this reboot. Pick a final art cover and stay with it. Don't come out and say this is the cover then come out out and say the same thing 2/3 more times. stop it stop it stop it.

If you want to make a variant fine. Do it. Just not this crud.

I need to go smash something.

i'm sorry, but people were hating on the new wonder woman costume. so when dc changes it, people hate on that? come on guys.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    i'm sorry, but people were hating on the new wonder woman costume. so when dc changes it, people hate on that? come on guys.
    Are you new to comics?
    Everything that has happened in comics in the last 15 years has had internet haters.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Not everyone, it's typically two groups of people with differing opinions. Of course then there is the other group who just didn't like it either way and wants her wearing something completely different. Well then there is that group who is just going to complain.

But I don't see as many people complaining about the more classic version as there were those complaining about the pants.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I buy Wonder Woman & didn't like the pants, but didn't bother getting outraged about them since I figured they'd be back. I'm almost willing to bet money that we'll see Superman with his red trunks again sooner rather than later. DC, no matter how "current" or "groundbreaking" as they try to be, will always be more traditional in terms of their superheroes as well as better at listening to the fans(for better or for worse) than Marvel.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I buy Wonder Woman & didn't like the pants, but didn't bother getting outraged about them since I figured they'd be back. I'm almost willing to bet money that we'll see Superman with his red trunks again sooner rather than later. DC, no matter how "current" or "groundbreaking" as they try to be, will always be more traditional in terms of their superheroes as well as better at listening to the fans(for better or for worse) than Marvel.
    DC can give pants to WW and take away Superman's underwear, but that doesn't mean that new readers are coming. If people didn't love the characters before, they aren't going to love the characters now. DC will try to recoup it's losses by catering to the old fans once again.

I give it a year before the Flash somehow corrects whatever is done in Flashpoint and resets the DC Universe.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

DC can give pants to WW and take away Superman's underwear, but that doesn't mean that new readers are coming.
    There really aren't any "new readers"(or at least not enough the help the industry). In terms of DC, there are people who read DC and people who don't. I'm sure a lot of people who don't get DC will give some of the first issues a chance(as well as old DC readers who will drop them without buying one issue), but will be really surprised if a lot of them continue to do so a year from now.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Wow. I just finished Batgirl #24 and it was sad how the characters sort of acknowledged the reboot as this was the last Stephanie Brown issue. They really handled it with class and acknowledged that even if your favorite character is removed, retconned, replaced, etc. at least TODAY is their moment. Sad to see all my favorite DC characters systematically removed from prominence. But that's how the cookie crumbles in a media without progress and endings.

Those weren't the same people.

The old Wonder Woman fans hated the pants and preferred the shorts, while the people who don't read WW liked the pants.

You really can't please everyone.

Those weren't the same people.

The old Wonder Woman fans hated the pants and preferred the shorts, while the people who don't read WW liked the pants.

You really can't please everyone.
    I would say part of the people who don't read, I would also say some of those who do read would prefer pants. Comics are like crack for some people. They threaten to quit every time Mephisto annuls a wedding but keep doing so (granted many actually followed through).
    Last edited by wyldman11; August 10, 2011 at 08:25pm.

I stopped reading Wonder Woman in the nineties when she got a job at Taco Bell (no joke). She was given pants and a small jacket makeover. Funny to me how this has already been done and still generates buzz the second time around. I think this was in 1993 or 94.

Quote Originally Posted by hopewell View Post
    I stopped reading Wonder Woman in the nineties when she got a job at Taco Bell (no joke).

She was given pants and a small jacket makeover. Funny to me how this has already been done and still generates buzz the second time around. I think this was in 1993 or 94.
    That wasn't even the first time she had pants. She had them before a lot of us were even born...

Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; August 11, 2011 at 01:06am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

I stopped reading Wonder Woman in the nineties when she got a job at Taco Bell (no joke). She was given pants and a small jacket makeover. Funny to me how this has already been done and still generates buzz the second time around. I think this was in 1993 or 94.
    What's crazy is that the biggest news WW ever makes is because of a costume change. Rarely has it been the story or art, unless it's really bad like Amazons Attack or WW killing Maxwell Lord.

• Replaced by Artemis; Biker shorts costume
    • Cut her long hair
    • The 1st Jim Lee costume with pants
    • The failed WW TV show
    • The 2nd Jim Lee costume with pants
    • The 2nd Jim Lee costume goes back to shorts

Heroic Warrior

I have this comic. I haven't read it in a long time.

Action Comics to restart at issue #1?!!

Is anyone else upset about Action Comics (or Detective) restarting at #1 with all the other 52 of DC's comics?

I feel like I've been waiting my whole life to see Action hit #1000, and now it's past 900 and I feel like we are almost there...except they've decided to retart at #1, apparently because people only buy comics if there is a #1 on the cover...

DC is resetting their universe again and they've decided to start all their major titles with issue #1. I'm guessing it is an attempt to get new readers for their comics.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

I suppose they can always do what Marvel did and renumber at the anniversary.

Justice League #1.

Felt a little too much like Miller's All-Star Batman...

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Justice League #1.

Felt a little too much like Miller's All-Star Batman...
    I could see the resemblance, but this is different. While GL was played for a straight goof in ASB$R, here Batman is practical because of his lack of powers, while Hal was cocky because of his all powerful Lantern ring.

I could see the resemblance, but this is different. While GL was played for a straight goof in ASB$R, here Batman is practical because of his lack of powers, while Hal was cocky because of his all powerful Lantern ring.
    I thought everyone acted like an @ss. Hal seems to have Guy Gardner's personality, Batman seems right out of Frank Miller's book (heck, it even had a scene lifted right from All-Star), and the whole things seems like its going to be a bit dark and snarky.

It felt like a 40-year old writer and a 50-year old artist trying to be younger and cooler than what they are capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I thought everyone acted like an @ss. Hal seems to have Guy Gardner's personality, Batman seems right out of Frank Miller's book (heck, it even had a scene lifted right from All-Star), and the whole things seems like its going to be a bit dark and snarky.

It felt like a 40-year old writer and a 50-year old artist trying to be younger and cooler than what they are capable of.
    I think if Batman were out of Miller's book, that Batman would have kicked Lantern's ass.

I agree. Hal was an @$$. He's supposed to be cocky, but still likable. I think he said, "My ring can do ANYTHING!" at least three times! It was okay overall, but it's hard to really judge because it was so short. You can't judge a movie when you only watch the first five minutes and that's basically all this was.

Perhaps the writing was designed for a video game crowd? Nothing subtle about those characterizations.