Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Reboots Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Why is Jack Harkness dressed up like Superman?
    WOW, they really look alike.

Last edited by Piccolo Daimaoh; June 15, 2011 at 03:52pm. Reason: added text
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

I think information of responders could have been helpful, such as do you buy Marvel or DC only or a mix of both or neither? Harder to assess who reads what now and what will be changing (individual titles for example).
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=32809

A lot of those new books aren't getting more readers.
    Aquaman in the top five?! I'm actually choked up! I never thought the Sea King would break through the way he has!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    Aquaman in the top five?! I'm actually choked up! I never thought the Sea King would break through the way he has!
    Brightest Day I think helped him a bit, not to mention I love his Flashpoint incarnation.

I really think this time they can get him done properly, always saddened me that he seemed to encounter failure after failure. Outside of comics people know who Aquaman is
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Brightest Day I think helped him a bit, not to mention I love his Flashpoint incarnation.

I really think this time they can get him done properly, always saddened me that he seemed to encounter failure after failure. Outside of comics people know who Aquaman is
    I'd give credit to The Brave and the Bold as well for bringing a lot of interest to him.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I'd give credit to The Brave and the Bold as well for bringing a lot of interest to him.
    John Dimaggio is great as Aquaman in Brave and the Bold. Aquaman to Martian Manhunter "By Neptune's trident you do not know how to tell a story."
    Until now.

Analyzing the numbers on the CBR poll, I came to a few... disheartening realizations. I wrote this for my blog, so it's not written toward anyone here or in the style I normally write here, but I felt it needed to be shared:

Well, this is all kinds of interesting/disturbing/ominous. Comic Book Resources did a poll on all 52 new DC Comics and had fans vote on whether they were likely to buy them. (I wish I'd known about this ahead of time and had participated, but alas...) These fans (10,181 of them, all together) selected whether they were Absolutely, Very Likely, Likely, Unlikely or Not At All (Likely) to buy each individual book and the results are somewhat to be expected... mostly.

Well, first of all, it does this Aquafan's heart proud to know that none other than Aquaman actually scored in the Top Five books fans were Absolutely going to buy! Jigga wha--?! After all those "talks to fish" jokes? After "Whitefish?" Suddenly Aquaman is outpacing The Flash (yeah, corny pun WAY intended) and the other luminaries of the DCU as one of the Top FIVE MUST-READ books coming out?! I may faint!

The number one title, not surprisingly, is Justice League of America, since it will star all of DC's big name heroes... and Cyborg and they have stated that this is will be the line's flagship title, so 57.7% of fans say they will Absolutely be buying this title. (5,870 voters!) The 14.7% who voted Not At All, probably went down the list and voted that on every single title. The other Top Five titles were Action Comics, Green Lantern, Batman and Aquaman, in that order. Not too surprising, except I find it odd that 55.9% of voters are Absolutely going to buy Action Comics, whereas 30.2% are Not At All going to buy Superman (versus 27.2% who voted Absolutely)! And a similar thing happened with Batman and Detective. 47% say they are Absolutely going to buy Batman, but 36.1% say they are Not At All going to buy Detective, versus 25.4% who voted Absolutely! What am I missing here?

As for the Bottom Five, it's not that surprising that the genre books flopped with voters. I, Vampire was the lowest rated, with 68.5% voting Not At All. (But what about Twilight?!?!) Following that up were OMAC (66.9%), Voodoo (64.2%), Hawk & Dove (63.8%, and I guarantee you, it's due to the Liefeld artwork!) and Sgt. Rock and the Men of War (61.7%).

On a sigh-worthy note, though except for Batwoman (33.8% Absolutely), EVERY female-led title wound up in the Not At All category. Wonder Woman (29.3% Not At All... it's gotta be the suit!), Birds of Prey (48.2%), Catwoman (44.8%), Supergirl (47.6%), the afore mentioned Voodoo and most shockingly Batgirl (33%). As controversial as the Batgirl issue has been, you'd think people would pick it up just for controversy's sake!

And Batwoman has her own built-in fanbase and I think everyone realizes that her book has NOTHING to do with this relaunch and will be basically the book it was always intended to be all along. I am really puzzled by Batgirl, though. People seemed to want her back in that role for EVER. I know a lot of people are upset about her leaving the role of Oracle, but THAT MANY?!

Even more disheartening, if not alarming, EVERY title showcasing minority characters wound up in the Not At All category. EVERY one! (Well, once again, not counting Batwoman.) Even Green Lantern Corps, starring John Stewart and Guy Gardner! EVEN GREEN LANTERN CORPS!!! Green Lantern is the #3 Must-Have book and Corps is in the Not At All pile?! WHY?! HOW?!

The Hall of Shame is as follows: GLC (34.4% Not At All), The Fury of Firestorm (42.6%), Mister Terrific (55.5%), Batwing (32.9%), Static Shock (60.2%!), Stormwatch (41.8%, starring gay members Midnighter and Apollo) and Blue Beetle (46.7%). I'm really stunned by just how SOUNDLY so many of these were trounced, especially Static Shock!

The one mitigating factor is that the MAJORITY of titles seem to have wound up in this category possibly because fans are just ticked off in general and are opposed to this relaunch and like I said before, I'm sure a bunch of people voted no on every title. Sigh! I guess no matter how DC may try to diversify, straight white male comic fans ONLY want to see themselves represented and can ONLY relate to characters that are like themselves. Welcome back to the 50s!

I will say Wonder Woman seems to have mixed response to it, the won't buy just beat out will buy but it was all around a split vote within the four topics (meaning almost 25% in each). Others were like this also.

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    WOW, they really look alike.
    Yeah I meant drawn to look like, not dressed to look like. I am not even sure why my brain through drawn and my hands typed dressed. But Superman's head is John Barrowman's head.

BRB disciplining my hands.
    Last edited by wyldman11; June 15, 2011 at 11:40pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I will say Wonder Woman seems to have mixed response to it, the won't buy just beat out will buy but it was all around a split vote within the four topics (meaning almost 25% in each). Others were like this also.

Yeah I meant drawn to look like, not dressed to look like. I am not even sure why my brain through drawn and my hands typed dressed. But Superman's head is John Barrowman's head.

BRB disciplining my hands.
    Please don't misunderstand me. I knew what you meant. I have that same poster at my desk and I looked dead at it after reading your post. From the neck up John Barrowman and the new Supes look the same. You're right on the money.
    Until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    Please don't misunderstand me. I knew what you meant. I have that same poster at my desk and I looked dead at it after reading your post. From the neck up John Barrowman and the new Supes look the same. You're right on the money.
    I figured, but I was correcting for anyone else. Shokoti in the comics thread came out and said that is a fake cover.

I figured, but I was correcting for anyone else. Shokoti in the comics thread came out and said that is a fake cover.
    It may be a fake cover, but it looks like the actual ugly costume.

The heck of it is that the fake cover looks nicer and more prestigious than the one with him holding up the Daily Planet. The costume looks equally awful in both though.
    Last edited by gbagok; June 16, 2011 at 03:37pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I put the survey results in an excel spread sheet and sorted it by the "absolutely".

After seeing that that result it bacame not a question of who was going to read what but a question of what wasn't going to be read.

Also. This helps explains things. A little bit. (aka this is what they was thinking)

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dcnu...ct-110615.html

I'm curious as to the estimated sales vs. the survey results on comicbookresources.com on these #1's. can't wait till October to find out.

I wonder how long many of these titles will last and after seeing the survey results it doesn't look like many will last.

Now I realize that survey was ran 1 or 2 weeks.

here are the may 2011 estimated sales compared to the 3 likely catagories combined from the survey.Yes. I realize this means nothing. or does it?

Action Comics #1 - by Grant Morrison & Rags Morales 7,716
    ACTION COMICS #900 12,852
    ACTION COMICS #901 44,143

Batgirl #1 - by Gail Simone, Ardian Syaf & Vicente Cifuentes 5,320
    BATGIRL #21 24,043

Batman #1 - by Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo 7,073
    BATMAN #710 55,086

Batman & Robin #1 - by Peter J. Tomasi & Pat Gleason 5,506
    BATMAN AND ROBIN #23 57,525

Birds of Prey #1 - by Duane Swierczynski & Jesus Saiz 3,127
    BIRDS OF PREY #12 29,690

CATWOMAN--CURRENT RUN UNKNOWN
    Catwoman #1 - by Judd Winick & Guillem March 3,479

Detective Comics #1 - by Tony S. Daniel 4,900
    DETECTIVE COMICS #877 39,609

The Flash #1 - by Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato 5,037
    FLASH #12 54,914

Green Arrow #1 - by JT Krul & Dan Jurgens 3,072
    GREEN ARROW #12 (BRIGHTEST DAY) 31,742

Green Lantern #1 - by Geoff Johns, Doug Mahnke & Christiam Almy 6,717
    GREEN LANTERN #66 75,371

Green Lantern Corps #1 - by Peter J. Tomasi, Fernando Pasarin & Scott Hanna 5,138
    GREEN LANTERN CORPS #60 60,964

Justice League #1 - by Geoff Johns & Jim Lee 8,050
    JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #57 46,729

LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #13 23,105
    Legion of Super-Heroes #1 - by Paul Levitz & Francis Portela 3,413

Superboy #1 - by Scott Lobdell, R.B. Silva & Rob Lean 3,219
    SUPERBOY #7 24,622

Supergirl #1 - by Michael Green, Mike Johnson & Mahmud Asrar 3,227
    SUPERGIRL #64 21,411

SUPERMAN #711 38,471
    Superman:The Man of Tomorrow #1-by George Perez & Jesus Merino 5,572

Teen Titans #1 - by Scott Lobdell, Brett Booth & Norm Rapmund 4,471
    TEEN TITANS #95 24,738

Wonder Woman #1 - by Brian Azzarello & Cliff Chiang 5,721
    WONDER WOMAN #610--APRIL NUMBER 31,002
    Last edited by midor; June 16, 2011 at 10:35pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You won’t be seeing Donna Troy yet in the new DCU, nor the Stephanie and Cassandra Batgirls. They haven’t been killed off though, just benched.
    Many of the new 52 books will have six issue story arcs, and Dan DiDio states that if sales are bad on a title, they won’t wait very long to cancel it. He wants strong sales across the line.
    He also wants comics to ship on time and even mentioned that he is very willing to replace a writer or an artist if they fall behind.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/...-black-people/

DC is doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    Although, I think that DC is lacking a great improving towards artwork.
    Aquaman is at the top five because it has Johns handling the writing but most important it has Ivan Reis at the pencils. Just by the look of the cover it looks more promising than (actual) Flash, which is being written by Johns as well.
    Flash isn't being written by Johns. Its by the art team: Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato.

Flash isn't being written by Johns. Its by the art team: Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato.
    I was referring to actual Flash by Johns and Manapul, which does not seem to be doing well although being the title that serve as Flashpoint lead road.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    I was referring to actual Flash by Johns and Manapul, which does not seem to be doing well although being the title that serve as Flashpoint lead road.
    Ahh. I got confused by you comparing a reboot book to an existing one.

Ahh. I got confused by you comparing a reboot book to an existing one.
    Yes, sorry; my post wasn't quite clear .
    Although Flash comic gets a reboot every 2 years

Also, same artist on the cover of the new Flash book as the one that just concluded did not help enough either to really differentiated them.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I disagree.

I think what will happen is that sells wont go well and things will return to as they were. Whether that be six months or a year.

Then they'll claim it was planned that way to cover their tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I disagree.

I think what will happen is that sells wont go well and things will return to as they were. Whether that be six months or a year.

Then they'll claim it was planned that way to cover their tracks.
    If things go back to "how they were" then they will still sell about half as much as Marvel per month, which means they are still doomed. DC needs a reader boost really badly.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    If things go back to "how they were" then they will still sell about half as much as Marvel per month, which means they are still doomed. DC needs a reader boost really badly.
    I can't and won't argue that.

DC shouldn't worry about how their sales compare to Marvel.

I don't know what their "magic'" number for them to cancel this books but we'll find out in a few months.

WAIT!
    He still has trunks?

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    WAIT!
    He still has trunks?
    The outfit looks more like a unitard with tights.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Here's the full JLA lineup. On the left, from top to bottom are Deadman, Atom, Element Woman and Firestorm. (Just one Firestorm, so hopefully the dual Firestorms on that cover is just symbolic.) On the right, Green Arrow, Hawkman, Black Canary and Mera.

Some are disputing Black Canary, because she doesn't look like the one on the Birds of Prey cover.

But I still think it's her.

Element Woman is the most intriguing addition. All I have managed to find out about her is that she "control elements." Um, kaaaay. Can't Firestorm already do that? I'm guessing she's an update of the old Element Girl who was a female doppelganger of Metamorpho's and had his same power set. It's seems a questionable way to go, since #1, that character was killed off in a Vertigo comic. #2, okay, so they could just say that the Vertigo story took place out of DC continuity, but why go through the trouble when they could have just used Metamorpho himself?

Some are thinking she is either Black Canary, Power Girl or possibly even Zealot.