Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Reboots Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    was there ever a reason why they didn't use the tech available to JL and it's members to ever fix Barbara? or at least give her something to help her walk? always thought that was weird.
    Once in JLA Martian Manhunter asked her why she didn't get her legs fixed, and she said something about the cure making her half robot, something she didn't want.

Every other time a cure has been on the table, there was an awful consequence attached to it. In one story, Barbara would have given up her soul; in another, Black Canary would have died. Even giving the situation a morsel of thought makes me scratch my head. For example, Oracle is supposed to be the best hacker in the world, someone who can find any bit of knowledge, yet she's never thought to hack into SHADE's computer system, even though it's fairly common knowledge SHADE can regrow body parts and entire bodies for people. So, why would Oracle not get that information? Because she likes getting beaten up? Given the parameters of the DCU, there's no reason Barbara should not have been cured by now.
    I want to smurf your smurf.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Its Bruce Waynes version of Menudo, in as kids out as teens
    That should be the most disturbing image of the year; Wayne as the man behind of small latin boy vilgilantes band
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Teelor View Post
    Once in JLA Martian Manhunter asked her why she didn't get her legs fixed, and she said something about the cure making her half robot, something she didn't want.

Every other time a cure has been on the table, there was an awful consequence attached to it. In one story, Barbara would have given up her soul; in another, Black Canary would have died. Even giving the situation a morsel of thought makes me scratch my head. For example, Oracle is supposed to be the best hacker in the world, someone who can find any bit of knowledge, yet she's never thought to hack into SHADE's computer system, even though it's fairly common knowledge SHADE can regrow body parts and entire bodies for people. So, why would Oracle not get that information? Because she likes getting beaten up? Given the parameters of the DCU, there's no reason Barbara should not have been cured by now.
    yeah, i would think it would be interesting for her to have a semi-exo-skeleton like device for her legs - not cybernetics. she would have to worry about checking her legs for injuries and the occasional time her exo-legs broke and she'd be paralyzed as batgirl.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Guess what changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    How so? I see no legitimate reason for this. :\ What's the biggest, glaring reason that you see this as a necessary thing?

And if you feel the main MU needs some drastic modernizing, then why not just read the Ultimate Comics?? When they were launched, they were quite similar to what DC is seemingly about to do, just that they didn't scrap their old Universe in the process. You got to keep both, if you wanted to.

With something like the Ultimate Universe, I really don't see why Marvel needs to reboot their entire line. They've got the Ultimate U for all that sort of stuff.
    I think Marvel's Joey Da Q helmed direction is a mess and has been for a long time now.

Marvel's "joke" that they'll kill a new character every quarter.
    Spider-Man books had problems for years.
    X-Men and every mutant on Utopia Island.
    Bendis Avengers and constant big events.
    Norman Osborn as the top cop?
    Doc Strange isn't Sorceror Supreme anymore.
    The nuFantastic Four. Like Killing the Torch helps matters.
    Hulk Family including Red Hulk, Red She-Hulk and A-Bomb.

I think the Ultimate Comics were a better version of the MU than the normal MU at one point. Marvel probably realized this and killed off alot of their Ultimate heroes.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teelor View Post

Right. Let's get down to business here.

Basically, there's NO reason, other than political ones, for Barbara Gordon to not have used her immense intellect and the insane resources of the JLA to have gotten herself out of the chair.

She was a member during Morrison's run, remember? She's officially friends with one of the richest men in the world, who has the very latest and even exotic in surgery-techniques and medical care. She knows quite a few aliens, which all have technology that can heal wounds that no Earthly doctor can perhaps even COMPREHEND!

Superman has been shown to have the potential to one day CURE CANCER! And Kryptonian society has technology that can repair cellular damage so efficiently that they can BRING BACK THE DEAD!

Supergirl brought with her a globe that that can reprogram the very organic molecules in your body, remaking and repairing your body on a genetic level, LIVE!

She gave the globe to Batman... for study on how it could be used on humans...

Firestorm is an aquaintance ( all right, this one is only fleeting) that can remodel living organisms, on a molecular level, and repair damage that would appear to be a death-sentence.

Hell... Captain Marvel could even grant her a portion of his magical power, and she would be transformed into an idealized version of herself, healed and PERFECTED!! ( yeah ok, this one isn't very plausible, 'cause Babs is near-perfect anyway ^^ ) For those not in the know, Freddy Freeman, Cap Marv. Jr, has deformities in his legs, knees and hips from a super-villain attack ( in his origin), but the Power of Captain Marvel turns him into the ULTIMATE human.

The New Gods of New Genesis have technology that can reshape the very quantum-state that says Babs must be in a wheelchair. They could remake reality where she's sitting, and turn her back into full health! But of course, the reply then would be: "Why would they do that?"

Simple. In return for a favor that Batman has to do for them, which he WILL, if he knows it means Batgirl will walk again. No question about it. No ifs, why's or butts.

Heck, it could be Nightwing that does all of this too! The point is, there's not very many believable reasons why Babs haven't found a way to be Batgirl, on SOME level, again, in the nearly boundless world that is the DCU.

I'm looking forward to Batgirl #1. =) It's finally time to yank the evil Brit with the beard and the dark voice, in said beard, and move on to the next level.

Enough. BATGIRL LIVES!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

eh, you have to suspend some disbelief to read comics. lois lane has been pretty much the same age for 70 years and yet there are characters who have had kids who are now adults.
    The idea is that we're going to have 10-20 proteges of Bruce eventually and half of them would have been Robin at one point. DC has all of these legacy characters, but isn't passing the torch like Barry did to Wally West.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 13, 2011 at 06:31pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

That is why I do like forward progression in the stories but at the same time I still support the idea of a full on reboot just shy of a decade. And it doesn't always have to be detail for detail the same forward progression.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    http://icv2.com/articles/news/20569.html

Look! Up in the sky. It's a bird. It's a plane. It's street cred Superman. Um. Yah. Cause that's the ONE thing that the character was missing. Street Cred.

This is a joke.

The battle armor look I can tolerate. Unless that was a red herring or something.

After seeing this look IT's got to tie in the Superman lawsuit(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    http://icv2.com/articles/news/20569.html

Look! Up in the sky. It's a bird. It's a plane. It's street cred Superman. Um. Yah. Cause that's the ONE thing that the character was missing. Street Cred.

This is a joke.

The battle armor look I can tolerate. Unless that was a red herring or something.

After seeing this look IT's got to tie in the Superman lawsuit(s)
    Its the same costume we've seen for weeks for Action:

Heroic Warrior
    Seemed different to me.

Besides all these "real" covers and images are now being revealed I don't know which is the real look. Especially when I read WW will seem to alternate between her pants and underwear/panty/whatever.

I will NOT let your logic rob me of rant.

RABBLE! RABBLE! RABBLE!
    RANT! RANT! RANT!

If Battle Armor Superman or Street Cred Superman get made into figures I will NOT by them. Not even to destroy.

I'm actually not minding the Superman "T-shirt" costume, when put in what appears to be context.

Morrison's Action is set at the beginning of his career - basically the Golden Age version, who isn't as powerful yet. Can't fly, but he can leap buildings - and if they stick to the Golden Age idea then he's also bulletproof, but not completely invulnerable, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...venir-book.jpg

The idea is that we're going to have 10-20 proteges of Bruce eventually and half of them would have been Robin at one point. DC has all of these legacy characters, but isn't passing the torch like Barry did to Wally West.
    didn't they just try to pass the torch to nightwing? people wanted bruce back so they brought him back.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post

Morrison's Action is set at the beginning of his career - basically the Golden Age version, who isn't as powerful yet. Can't fly, but he can leap buildings - and if they stick to the Golden Age idea then he's also bulletproof, but not completely invulnerable, etc.
    Does it means that Action would have a different timeline than Superman, Justice League and the rest of the books?

In that case, Could Action be an extended initial version of All Star Superman?

Anyway, last week I visited my old comic book store and got the first 2 issues of Flashpoint (not really impressed at the moment) and I have subscribed to Justice League and requested Batman, Action & Aquaman #1.

Damn you DCNU!
    I feel like a junkie not being able to let go the habit
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

didn't they just try to pass the torch to nightwing? people wanted bruce back so they brought him back.
    Bruce was always coming back. DC won't ever kill off Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    Does it means that Action would have a different timeline than Superman, Justice League and the rest of the books?
    Correct. Action will take place at the very beginning of Superman's career. It remains unknown if we'll see earlier versions of other DC heroes in the book, or if Superman will be the "first and only".

In that case, Could Action be an extended initial version of All Star Superman?
    Could be. All-Star Superman was Morrison's take on the Silver Age version of the character, this could be the same thing - but with the Golden Age version.

Anyway, last week I visited my old comic book store and got the first 2 issues of Flashpoint (not really impressed at the moment) and I have subscribed to Justice League and requested Batman, Action & Aquaman #1.
    Action and Batman are the 2 books I'm very much looking forward to. Action for more Morrison Superman, and Batman because Scott Snyder is probably the most underrated writer in comics today. His Detective has been fantastic - easily the best Batman since Morrison (and better in some ways).
    Last edited by BCI Guy; July 19, 2011 at 02:34pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

From a business standpoint, McFarlane makes some VERY valid points about the Sept. DC relaunch. From: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=33485

CCI EXCLUSIVE: McFarlane on DC Relaunch: "I'll Bet Against It"

At Comic-Con International in San Diego, "Spawn" creator and Image Comics co-founder Todd McFarlane spoke with CBR Executive Producer Jonah Weiland in a far-ranging video interview discussing McFarlane's new projects and the state of the industry in general Their first topic of conversation: DC Comics' September relaunch, which will see that publisher revamping its entire line of comics and restart every series from issue #1, including flagship titles "Action Comics" and "Detective Comics." McFarlane's response was candid, to say the least. Below is a transcript of McFarlane discussing his thoughts on the relaunch, including how he would have handled the initiative. Check back with CBR in the coming days for the full video interview.

Jonah Weiland: I want to talk about the business of comics a little bit. The business of comics is struggling. Comics sales have not been great -- you may have seen it with your own titles as well. So, DC is trying something different and has this massive relaunch coming in September. I'm curious what your thoughts are on DC's relaunch at this point.

Todd McFarlane: I'll bet against it. And here's why: I think it's a fool's game, I'm not on board, I think it's a fool's game what they're doing. They've got 52 titles that they're launching #1, I'm down with that idea. Right? I get it, right. To do it all in one month is the fallacy there. As a businessman, one of the things I try to do before I get headstrong on something is to look at historical data that will basically back up my position. I'm trying to figure out what record company, what car company, what TV show, what theatre, what ice cream parlor, put out 52 new products in the same month and expected the consumer to upgrade all 52 of them. If the answer is -- and I'd be curious to talk to DC -- if they said, 'No, no, no, we don't expect all of them to necessarily bump up," then it seems like a missed opportunity. So I understand the Top 8, 9, 10 book -- Greg Capullo, who did "Spawn," is doing "Batman," one of the more anticipated ones. But if I'm somebody who is writing, pencilling, inking the 47th book? My question would be, how are you getting the word out that my book is also gonna be a #1? How are you promoting the 47th one? It doesn't seem like there's room to get it there. And then the problem is, if you don't get a spike in the sales, it seems like a missed opportunity.

Here's what I would have done at DC (and they're not asking me): I would have taken the 52 and put out six or seven new #1s each month and spread it for seven, eight, nine months, and then you would have had people talking about those new books for half a year to a year. You could stretch it out for a year! And then, after a year, then let Marvel have the megaphone. But you could have done this, and instead you blew your whole entire wad. So now, here are your two problems: one, [say] I'm a retailer. I don't even know if they talked to any retailers.

They certainly did.

How I do order upgrade of 52 books when I've got a limited budget? How am I doing that? And then, even if I do upgrade it, how do I know that I'm going to get customers to come? I'm going to have to sell them up. It's an awkward thing for me. And then, as a consumer, you come in and go, ah, there's all those #1s but there's no way I have enough money in my pocket to buy all 52 of them. And go, "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh." And here's the other one: this is not direct business, but it has an implication; if every book starts at #1, at the exact same time, fast forward a year from now and we're going to know very quickly which books were not on time.

I think one of the thoughts they had was that, if you don't go all in, you're not going to get that mainstream media coverage that they feel they need at this point. Do you think they could have still had that impact if they did 52 books over the entire year?

Yes, yes. That's how I would have done it. I'd have rolled out my two big guys in the first six. So I would have got the media kick, I'd have got the geek kick. But what do you think? The newspapers are coming and going to write about it, not because of "Doctor Fate" #1. They're writing about it because there's going to be a new "Superman" and a new "Batman," maybe a little bit of "Wonder Woman," "Flash," "Green Lantern," "Justice League," and then everything starts dropping down from there. So if you had then said, in our first wave it's going to be "Action Comics" #1 and "Batman" -- because you still save "Superman" and "Detective" for later -- you would still get your bang for the buck because you could have sold that story. I do sports figures, toys. One of the things I have to do is not put all the All-Stars in the first line. Because if I do all the All-Stars in the first line, the next line is less than All-Stars. What I do is, I take my players, and I consider them to be A, B or C level. And I put six out in each line, I put two A, two B, two C, so that I balance it throughout the year so that I don't get these spikes in sales, and retailers see this steady stream of sales at a steady volume.

At the same time, DC is adding new #1s throughout the year. They've got a couple new #1s in October, I know of a couple series coming in November and December. So they are going to augment that. But is that the way to keep this momentum going, or do they lose their momentum in a month or two after the relaunch?

I think they blow their wad, is what I'm saying. It goes like this, they get a spike, and then, good -- now you've got all the media hype, but you're not going to get the follow-up story for issue #2 and 3 and 4. So you have to get it all in a condensed, tight period of time. You're right, it'll be in every single newspaper in the country, and then it'll be gone. And by the time you get to issue 3, you're leaving an opening for Marvel, which is your competitor. And when you're in competition with people, you have to figure out how to ****-block them. Which is why you're always laying out products in a product roll-out line. Ask Apple. How do we get them to look at our product, not theirs? Apple doesn't say we're going to release the new iPod, iPad, Macbook and I'll talk to you about the cloud, all in the same day. We're going to scatter it and spread it out through the year to keep you coming back for more and more and more. Like I said, it will work right out of the gate. Yes, it's like a movie coming up on opening weekend. The successful movies don't make their nut in the opening week, they make it over time. This is one of those ones where you're going to have a big opening, and you're just going to go back to normal in three months.

Mon-El might have the first new costume I really like.

Todd McFarlane took a lot of the words right out of my mouth in that interview

Especially this part

I think they blow their wad, is what I'm saying. It goes like this, they get a spike, and then, good -- now you've got all the media hype, but you're not going to get the follow-up story for issue #2 and 3 and 4. So you have to get it all in a condensed, tight period of time. You're right, it'll be in every single newspaper in the country, and then it'll be gone. And by the time you get to issue 3, you're leaving an opening for Marvel, which is your competitor. And when you're in competition with people, you have to figure out how to ****-block them. Which is why you're always laying out products in a product roll-out line. Ask Apple. How do we get them to look at our product, not theirs? Apple doesn't say we're going to release the new iPod, iPad, Macbook and I'll talk to you about the cloud, all in the same day. We're going to scatter it and spread it out through the year to keep you coming back for more and more and more. Like I said, it will work right out of the gate. Yes, it's like a movie coming up on opening weekend. The successful movies don't make their nut in the opening week, they make it over time. This is one of those ones where you're going to have a big opening, and you're just going to go back to normal in three months.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I'm really NOT digging 'street clothes' Superman.

I think the thing that bugs me the most is the mini-cape. It just doesn't look right. They probably should just lose the cape entirely for that look. Instead of looking like Superman, it's looks like the kind of thing that a kid would do when dressing up and running around their backyard pretending to be Superman.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, BUT I agree with Todd McFarlane.

It's WAY TOO MANY new books in such a little time period.

I better watch out for those flying pigs now on my way to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, BUT I agree with Todd McFarlane.
    Ha! That's what I was thinking!

I haven't liked jeans Superman very much, until I saw this drawing Dan McDaid did. Then I thought he could be kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post

It's WAY TOO MANY new books in such a little time period.

I better watch out for those flying pigs now on my way to work.
    You and I feel the same way, my wife saw what I posted and said OMG you are agreeing with him
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    Please help me out here. With this setup now does this make stuff like Knightfall, Blackest Night, The Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen and other such events just null and void or never even occurring?

If any of this is the case then they took the Spidey Brand New Day thing and spread it into a whole damn universe. This is confusing the blink outta me and leaving me with a DOOZY of a headache.

That said I'll still get the core Bat books.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor's Only Fan View Post
    Please help me out here. With this setup now does this make stuff like Knightfall, Blackest Night, The Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen and other such events just null and void or never even occurring?

If any of this is the case then they took the Spidey Brand New Day thing and spread it into a whole damn universe. This is confusing the blink outta me and leaving me with a DOOZY of a headache.

That said I'll still get the core Bat books.
    Blackest Night happened, Knightfall probably still happened since Batman isn't getting much change. Superman not sure, which is the problem and why it isn't a full on reboot. Somethings are getting wiped but not everything, titles that have been doing well aren't getting much change where as those that haven't met expectations are getting changes.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I have a bad feeling they won't get enough subs to do the online club thing.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    This is bad.

Is there a phrase in comics to allude to the phrase "Jumping the Shark?"
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!