Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Reboots Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Anyone else catch the JLU shout out by the crowd calling Booster Gold "Green Lantern"

Have DC said why Booster is leading the team? I thought he had his own series helping Rip Hunter keep the timeline in order? Or has that been removed from DC History now?

JAG2045
    No, there's no solo Booster book in the New 52.

Since its early on street date, I'm going to stay spoiler free for now:

ACTION: Really liked it. I think its an interesting take, and this is very much the same Superman from the original Action #1.

ANIMAL MAN: Very solid story. Ugly art, but maybe compelling for this story..

BATGIRL: OK. I'm not a fan of Barbara being back in the suit, although Gail seems to have a plan, but it may take a while for us to find out what it is.

DETECTIVE: Liked it more than I thought I would. I have a feeling BATMAN is going to be MUCH better, but this was interesting enough that I'm curious about the next issue.

HAWK & DOVE: I'm trying to read it, but I'm struggling to get past the art.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: Hated it. I think Johns is very hit or miss, and this was a HUGE miss. Lee is going through the motions (and I expect issue #3 to be at least 25% Carlos D'Anda).

JLI: It was...OK. I like the character bits, was not impressed by the plot. And yes, Booster is still from the future. Feels lightweight - which is a problem when it doesn't have the charm of the old series.

STORMWATCH: I like Paul Cornell. I didn't like this. It felt castrated compared to the WS book. And way too many "Hey, these are my powers" bits in it.

SWAMP THING: I'm a huge Scott Snyder fan, so I was predisposed to liking it. And I thought it was very good. Yanick Paquette continues to do a nice Kevin Nowlan impression.

So far it appears that the "new 52" is not a happy place to live. Lots of murder in the Bat books.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; September 8, 2011 at 05:15pm.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    ACTION: I never read the original Action #1. Nevertheless, the book has me intrigued. It reminds me of the earlier issues of the Lee/Dikto Hulk.

BATGIRL: Gotta Read.

DETECTIVE: Gotta Read.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: I liked Justice League, but for me it's mainly for the art. While I liked the cocky GL and practical Batman, they are pretty much overexposed old hat. I can't wait for the other characters to show up, especially Diana.

STORMWATCH: I didn't like this book. For one, it feels kind of strange to see these heroes operating in a world with the Justice League. Another reason I didn't like it are the heroes' vague ultra-powerful power sets, something I've been had a problem with on Authority before. And NEW readers are supposed to keep up?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Well, four of the books, I can't comment on, and I haven't read them all yet, but so far:

Action-Morrison's writing is so hard for me to read. I can't explain it, but I've just never been able to smoothly read anything he's done. It just feels choppy and unnatural. Maybe he writes in a cadence or something that is different from the way I write or speak, but I just have a hard time with him. That said, Action was okay and I didn't think the change in Superman's attitude was that drastic. It very well reflected the tone of a lot of those original stories from the 30s, which had a dark edge that was later removed completely from his stories. I loved Lex's monologue about introduced llifeforms ruining indiginous ecosystems. Definitely going to continue reading this one at least a while longer.

Batgirl-A little underwhelming, but decent. The art style doesn't seem the right fit. It's good, but I think, say, Nicola Scott would have fit better.

JLI-Good clean fun! Nice artwork, fun story, cute characterization. Just a nice, fun super hero book. One of my favorites thus far.

Stormwatch-I did like that they refered to J'Onn as being in the League. I'm not familiar with these characters, but I kinda hate them right off the bat. "I control, manipulate and communicate with cities." WHAT?! What kind of stupid super power is that?! And they were all like that! I kinda get the feeling that this book is going to be important in the grand scheme, but I already kinda hate it.

Did anyonbe else get the feeling that there's something bigger going on here? Darkseid is in JL. OMAC is all Kirby-ed out. The giant robot at the end of JLI looked very Kirby. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like somehow all of these books are tied together no matter how different some of them are.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I picked up most of the new ones, but they were sold out of Detective Comics, Stormwatch, Men of War, Batgirl, and Green Arrow, which makes me mad because DC should have supplied the store with enough issues, especially for DC and Batgirl.

Anyway, Action Comics was a decent first issue, but Animal Man sucked. Unfortunately, given there are 52 comics (well, 53 with JL), they onlly have one issue to impress me enough to continue, and Animal Man did not do that. Next up I'm probably going to read Batwing since I am unsure about that one, while I will probably save Swamp Thing for last.
    Last edited by Dr Kain; September 7, 2011 at 10:27pm.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I picked up most of the new ones, but they were sold out of Detective Comics, Stormwatch, Men of War, Batgirl, and Green Arrow, which makes me mad because DC should have supplied the store with enough issues, especially for DC and Batgirl.
    It's up to the comic store to order enough, not DC. Sometimes stores doe get shortchanged, but I would have thought DC would have made sure there was plenty for anyone who wanted it for this.

I've only read JL, Action, Green Arrow, Detective, and JLI. Batgirl was sold out

Batwing has terrible art and looked boring

Couldn't find Swamp Thing

SPOILER:

Who is the glowing, hooded red chick in EVERY issue???

A friend said she first appeared in Flashpoint (which I didn't read... I've come back to comics with this reboot).

Is this reboot going to end up being fake with a new crisis or something? Is she like a new Metron or Anarchy??
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post

A friend said she first appeared in Flashpoint (which I didn't read... I've come back to comics with this reboot).

yes. I want to say the last issue where she says combine all the heroes into one universe (loose rephrasing) as the Barry is running through time

Is this reboot going to end up being fake with a new crisis or something? Is she like a new Metron or Anarchy??
    who knows. I'm guessing she's around to make sure every hero universe (wildstorm, vertigo etc) are combined.

will she be a part of something bigger next year? That's the million dollar question.

I figured if things failed she'd be their escape goat. If things succed, and the initials number seem to prove it but lets see what six months from now are like, then she's part of something of something bigger. but that's just me talking

I've only read Action so far but flipped through all 13 of the latest DCU comics. Action was OK but I'm not exactly excited about its future. I'm also not loving Rags Morales. His work reminds me of Mark Bagley. They can do good work but it's inconsistent & the characters often have rubbery faces.

It definitely seems like the DCU is keeping all the violence that they've had post-Identity Crisis. Half the books this week ended in murder or mutilation. I'm also sad about J'onn J'onzz. First he lost his founding member status in the JLA to Cyborg(at least that's what it looks like so far), then he's put on a Wildstorm team that is more known for having most its members killed off in an Aliens crossover, and now, imho, he's given his worst costume/design yet. Just when I was happy for his revised head & new costume post-Blackest Night, we get something that looks like it's out of Star Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    Action-Morrison's writing is so hard for me to read. I can't explain it, but I've just never been able to smoothly read anything he's done. It just feels choppy and unnatural. Maybe he writes in a cadence or something that is different from the way I write or speak, but I just have a hard time with him.
    This is my problem with Morrison. He seems to be full of great ideas & I've liked stuff of his in the past(Animal Man), but more often than not, his comics read like there are balloons or pages missing. Even a minor conversation leaves me reading it more than once in order to figure out what he's talking about. I know it's not cool to trash his "genius", but I really wish he wasn't writing my favorite superhero. I can even get past the Golden Age influence & blue collar costume, but I can't get past the feeling of frustration Morrison usually creates in me. I hope George Perez' book is better.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; September 8, 2011 at 02:55am.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Batwing turned out to be interesting. Oh, and I thought JLI was the best of the ones I have read so far.

BTW, what glowing red hood chick? I haven't seen anyone like that in any of the isuses I have read.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

JL #1: Nice art but an epic fail in luring new readers. You have to already know the dcu to understand the whole book. Mother boxes? Really? In the first issue? Way to confuse noobs.

Action #1: Not used to Supes' new personality. I can learn to like it, but I already miss his old self. Plus the plot was paint by numbers making the storyline already boring. Not a bold new take as much as it felt I was reading Birthright again.

Detective Comics #1: This I liked as a jumping on point for me who doesn't read Batman. Back to basics Batman hunting the Joker. Liked it.

Batgirl #1: Sigh. Yeas it's awesome to see Babs swinging again. But I miss Stephanie. And Babs now talking like Stephanie makes me miss her more. I kinda miss killjoy, morose Oracle with a sarcastic sense of humor. This back to rookie, learning the ropes Barbara will take some getting used to also. But I'll try it.

Looking forward to GL: New Guardians, JL Dark, and the rest of the Superman/Batman books.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Anyway, Action Comics was a decent first issue, but Animal Man sucked.
    I thought the art was atrocious, but I thought it might have been the best read of them all so far.

Finally made it through HAWK AND DOVE: The art is just so overpoweringly awful. It almost manages to hide how woeful the writing is. Brain-bendingly stupid infodump that somehow manages to keep Crisis on Infinite Earths AND Brightest Day in the continuity for Hawk & Dove - you know, for new readers.

Quote Originally Posted by hopewell View Post
    Batgirl #1: Sigh. Yeas it's awesome to see Babs swinging again. But I miss Stephanie. And Babs now talking like Stephanie makes me miss her more. I kinda miss killjoy, morose Oracle with a sarcastic sense of humor. This back to rookie, learning the ropes Barbara will take some getting used to also. But I'll try it.
    It also didn't 'read' like Gail Simone at all. It felt like someone trying to write something out of their comfort zone. Actual dialogue from the issue: "There you are, you rotten MONSTERS. FOUND you, didn't I? Oh yes, I did, babies. How SAD for you."

GREEN ARROW: Dull. I don;t get why JT Krull gets work. He must be cheap and always hits his deadlines. He's yet to write a story I've found interesting, and IMO, he's written some of the worst comics of the past few years. Jurgens art is technically capable, but totally perfunctory. And his costume designs for the bad guys are horribly dull.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; September 8, 2011 at 12:34pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My first review is up! Check it out!

She represents the new audience, which is why she is very small and often hard to see.

I've read 12 of the new #1s so far. And I fail to see anything that is going to draw in new readers. I guess some of them are decent "jumping on" points, but, other than being available for download,*there is nothing new or innovative here.

What is going to convince non-comic readers that 3 bucks a month for >10 minutes of entertainment is something they want?

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    What is going to convince non-comic readers that 3 bucks a month for >10 minutes of entertainment is something they want?
    I think comics need to go the way of regular books and movies. You buy a book in a series and you know it'll be a year before the next on comes out. With movies, you know the sequel is at least two years away. Comics need to simply tell one complete story and put it out, and the audience knows the next one won't be out for another six months or more. I read Fables as trades and it's typically a year between installments and I'm okay with that. I'd even pay more, since I know a large part of the revenue is ads in the floppies.

Updated first impressions - still spoiler free:

ACTION: Really liked it. I think its an interesting take, and this is very much the same Superman from the original Action #1.

ANIMAL MAN: Very solid story. Ugly art, but maybe compelling for this story..

BATGIRL: OK. I'm not a fan of Barbara being back in the suit, although Gail seems to have a plan, but it may take a while for us to find out what it is.

BATWING: A character I didn't care about written by someone I haven't liked since BARRY WEEN. And it was surprisingly pretty good. Great art, and a much better story than I expected.

DETECTIVE: Liked it more than I thought I would. I have a feeling BATMAN is going to be MUCH better, but this was interesting enough that I'm curious about the next issue.

GREEN ARROW: Dull. I don't get why JT Krull gets work. He must be cheap and always hits his deadlines. He's yet to write a story I've found interesting, and IMO, he's written some of the worst comics of the past few years. Jurgens art is technically capable, but totally perfunctory. And his costume designs for the bad guys are horribly dull.

HAWK & DOVE: The art is just so overpoweringly awful. It almost manages to hide how woeful the writing is. Brain-bendingly stupid infodump that somehow manages to keep Crisis on Infinite Earths AND Brightest Day in the continuity for Hawk & Dove - you know, for new readers.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: Hated it. I think Johns is very hit or miss, and this was a HUGE miss. Lee is going through the motions (and I expect issue #3 to be at least 25% Carlos D'Anda).

JLI: It was...OK. I like the character bits, was not impressed by the plot. And yes, Booster is still from the future. Feels lightweight - which is a problem when it doesn't have the charm of the old series.

OMAC: How do you take huge Kirby concepts and make a boring book.

STATIC SHOCK: Incredibly overwritten. Way too much bad dialogue, way too much exposition. Plus Static comes off as a douche... I love Static and the Milestone heroes, and I thought having John Rozum on it would be great. But I'm guessing we got way more Scott McDaniel than Rozum.

STORMWATCH: I like Paul Cornell. I didn't like this. It felt castrated compared to the WS book. And way too many "Hey, these are my powers" bits in it.

SWAMP THING: I'm a huge Scott Snyder fan, so I was predisposed to liking it. And I thought it was very good. Yanick Paquette continues to do a nice Kevin Nowlan impression.

Of the first 12 books, ANIMAL MAN and SWAMP THING are my clear favorites. I liked ACTION, but it paled next to ALL-STAR.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; September 8, 2011 at 07:16pm.

My second review has been posted, for Hawk & Dove. Warning, I did NOT like this one as much as Animal Man. Not. One. Bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    My second review has been posted, for Hawk & Dove. Warning, I did NOT like this one as much as Animal Man. Not. One. Bit.
    I touched on the same thing - Crisis on Infinite Earths AND Brightest Day are both somehow in continuity.

I really believe that they have no idea how much they wanted to reboot vs giving us a starting point, so it seems that almost every book is rebooted to a different level.

I think it's an issue of they are fans and don't want to get rid of the stories they have liked and seem to be working.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I've read all 14 of the currently available issues, and it's definitely a mixed bag. I've been away from comics for the past few years but thought I'd give this a try. As expected, I fell in with old (albeit not-as-familiar) favorites fairly easily. New ground was harder for me to accept. Spoilers to follow, I suppose...

JLA: I thought the humor was clever and spot on. Jim Lee's art wasn't as on point as it has been, but it wasn't bad. I'm ok with the slow build. Using Batman and GL (and to a lesser extent Superman) as the intro characters was smart, as they are the most familiar to the general public at the moment.

Action Comics: Interesting take. Curious to see where it goes. All the familiar faces are here, albeit in different scenarios. I was okay with the Byrne reboot, so I'm certainly willing to give this a shot.

Animal Man: Not very familiar with the character, but I want to see what happens next. Not sure how much of his past is relevant here, but I never felt lost, which is more than I can say for some of the other books. Art was weird, but I think it works for the story they're trying to tell.

Batgirl: I've always loved Babs, both as Batgirl and Oracle, so this was an instant win for me. Unclear if she was ever Oracle at this point. Must wonder, if she just "got better," then why even include Killing Joke at all? Curious to see how her survivor's guilt plays out in coming months.

Batwing: Not sure who this guy is, but I liked the art. Cliffhanger will have me back next month.

Detective Comics: *** is going on with the Joker?!?! Totally back for more in October!

Green Arrow: Um? Who's this chick pretending to be Oracle? Villains look generic. Are they new or old? Wasn't too impressed with this. He needs Dinah.

Hawk & Dove: Leifeld's art wasn't as bad as expected. Actually, was better than expected. Dialogue was horrible though. And references to Brightest Day made this 1st issue seem like we're joining this show already in progress. Looks like COIE somehow happened...THAT'S going to be a mistake.

JLI: One of the best of the bunch. Damn shame that all that Generation Lost build up was for nothing. Glad to see the new Rocket Red back. Looking forward to more from this creative team.

Men of War: Not really my normal genre, so probably unfair for me to comment at all. But I'll say that if there were supposed to be any recognizable characters beyond Sgt Rock, it was lost on me.

OMAC: Utter garbage. Doubt I'll be giving it a second shot, unless it's just out of a completionist mentality. Was nice to see Dubbilex from the 90's Superman days, though.

Static Shock: I know next to nothing about Milestone, so I can't really comment on this. Seemed like a decent enough 1st issue though. Weird to see other Milestone leads demoted to supporting roles, though.

Stormwatch: *** happened here? I know nothing about these characters, and this issue did nothing to help that. Even Martian Manhunter, who I know, felt like a stranger. Very disappointed.

Swamp Thing: Didn't read his Brightest Day epilogue, and I guess I suffered for it. Weird how you're expected to read existing stories to understand this brand new universe. Sigh....On that note, I think we got confirmation in this issue that the Doomsday storyline happened...in some form or fashion.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    I picked up JLI, Action Comics, Detective Comics, and Batgirl. Haven't read them yet and before I do somebody tell me which titles are gonna be 5 years ago and which are present. I don't wanna be screwed up right from jump street.

Action Comics and Justice League (not international) are set 5 years in the past for sure. I think everything else is present.

The more I read about it the more I think they should have done what they did in the Silver Age. Reboot, the current world becomes another parallel world and use Action Comics(Superman), Detective Comics(Batman) and another title(Justice League probably named Affiliated Comics) has anthology series to continue the stories in those and maybe a Green Lantern only title called Green Lantern Comics. Make them collector grade with 2-3 stories in them, the new titles would be a lower grade of paper etc to lower cost and to get them back into supermarkets.
    Last edited by wyldman11; September 9, 2011 at 10:35am.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I've only read JL, Action, Green Arrow, Detective, and JLI. Batgirl was sold out

Batwing has terrible art and looked boring
    Art is subjective but WHAT?!?!?!?! I LOVED the art in this book more than any of the others so far.

I got

Batwing : LOVED it, just found out about the character 2 weeks ago thought the book was amazing.

Detective Comics: very good, almost loved it but not quite.

Static Shock - Loved it, always liked the character, but Hardware was my fave in the milestone universe, and lo and behold who is static working for?!?!?! I was giddy as a school girl

all three books ended in ways that got me so angry that i have to wait another month, Batwing the most, Detective and static tied maybe a slight edge to static.

man I LOVE static's new look, REALLY hope a figure is coming soon. I want to see Black Lightning and his daughters soon, but man thats a lot of electrifying brothas and sistas innit?

sigh, looks like i'm into comics again...

Should be getting justice league tonight, got a pull list for some later books. can't wait til next week, from my experience so far - I am loving the new 52 (well a little less than 6% of it as that's all I've read)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I think it's an issue of they are fans and don't want to get rid of the stories they have liked and seem to be working.
    Right. They're trying to have their cake and eat it too. Their reboot that is supposed to be a fresh start for new readers is already a continuity mess after 1 issue because almost every book is rebooted to a different level.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Right. They're trying to have their cake and eat it too. Their reboot that is supposed to be a fresh start for new readers is already a continuity mess after 1 issue because almost every book is rebooted to a different level.
    The thing is, if you are a new fan, it won't matter if things are used or tossed out from the Pre-Flashpoint canon as long as it makes sense. I've seen people say that using Motherboxes in Justice League #1 was confusing for new fans. Imo, it wasn't. If you use Batman as your entry point for that comic, he not only didn't know what the Motherbox was, he didn't even know what "Darkside" was. Just because old fans will recognize things & compare it to past stories doesn't mean new fans will.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!