Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Reboots Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Yeah. Why would you want to put one of the few writers DC has, that has a huge following of people that will buy anything he does, on a big event?
    Didn't I already cover that in my previous post?

And I didn't find anything remotely confusing about his book, nor am I seeing anyone else online having trouble. People are divided on if they like it or not, but confusion really shouldn't be an issue. It was about as straightforward as he gets.
    Oh, I'm sorry. If you didn't see anything, it must not have happened. Sorry for lying.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post

Oh, I'm sorry. If you didn't see anything, it must not have happened. Sorry for lying.
    Seriously? That's what you got from that?

All I'm saying is that I didn't find it remotely confusing and I'm not seeing other people having that problem. I'm seeing people split on whether they like the attitude of this version of Superman.

I know you dislike Morrison, but there is a reason that he's immensely popular.

I know you dislike Morrison, but there is a reason that he's immensely popular.
    The same reason Bendis, Fraction, & Michael Bay are popular?

What people consider quality is entirely subjective. I've found several instances on different threads at CBR of people complaining about Morrison's stilted dialogue and poor transitions. I don't "dislike" Morrison but I do find him overrated and flawed. He often reminds me of Alan Moore but other times he reminds me of Jeph Loeb.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Just read it, I didn't feel like there were missing panels, I did get that feeling with All-Star though. I mean he did skip some stuff, but I felt it was acceptable skipping. For example we didn't need to see Superman smack up the party, we didn't need to see Superman get from one part of town to another. Granted some well placed adds could have fixed that a bit more.

Not sure I would keep reading, it was good but I don't know. I do think the problem Morrison has is people say he is great and that is a hard word to really live up to. Made even worse when it can be a case of just being better than a lot of the sludge being put out. Just because your turd's don't smell as bad as the guy's next to you doesn't mean it's any less of a turd (not saying Morrison is a turd).

In regards to questions about timeline and how it just kind of got all screwy I posted this on another forum.

It's all Mary Jane's fault because she wanted to make sure Aunt May lived for Peter so she made a deal with Mephisto we all just didn't realize how far reaching the magic would be till now.

I do think it's somewhat appropriate in other ways because of the statement of that stuff happened but the details are different now... don't worry about it.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about O.M.A.C. since it seems everyone online either loves it or hates it. After reading it, I'm still not sure. I LOVED Giffen's art & it was kinda fun in a retro way, but I'm still not sure if Didio wrote it that way intentionally or if that's just his limited talent. As of now, I think I'm going to keep getting it for Giffen.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Just read it, I didn't feel like there were missing panels, I did get that feeling with All-Star though. I mean he did skip some stuff, but I felt it was acceptable skipping. For example we didn't need to see Superman smack up the party, we didn't need to see Superman get from one part of town to another. Granted some well placed adds could have fixed that a bit more.
    Some of the complaints I read had to due with not understanding why Superman knew something was wrong with the train since it wasn't part of the confession the villain gave to him. I'll give it at least one more issue since I love Superman, but I felt All Star was better so far(with a much better artist).

I feel in terms of creativity & ideas, Morrison is ahead of the pack. When it comes to dialogue that flows well(it feels like his characters are talking at each other & not to each other) or making a story easy to follow for those new to the comics game, I feel there are those who are much better suited. IMO that is.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Some of the complaints I read had to due with not understanding why Superman knew something was wrong with the train since it wasn't part of the confession the villain gave to him. I'll give it at least one more issue since I love Superman, but I felt All Star was better so far(with a much better artist).
    Best I can give is it's something he learned while finding out all the guy had done/was going to do. While it wasn't explicitly stated it's heavily implied he had something on Nute Gunray. Then Jimmy says Clark told the authorities about the trains, implying they were supposed to be sidelined which is why he takes back to the air as Superman. Luthor kept the train going because he somehow knew Superman would try to stop it.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Wrap up your weekend with my latest review, OMAC! http://sciencefiction.com/2011/09/11...review-omac-1/

Heroic Warrior
    all I bought was justice league international. about all I can add to my previous post is that it was a quick and easy read. Though I do have one question. Thery're going to be controlled by sound if they get out of line?

I don't know about your local comic shop but mine had a ton of each of the new titles. I didn't thumb through any of them.

I finished all of them and will probably give all of them at least one more issue(Action, Hawk & Dove, Stormwatch, Detective, & Green Arrow are on the fence). While none of them were extremely bad, none of them really blew my mind. Animal Man, Swamp Thing, & Men Of War were my favorites while Static, Justice League International, & O.M.A.C. were the most fun. A big problem is some of these did not feel like great intros for new readers(especially Static, Swamp Thing, & Stormwatch). As has been said many times before by different people, DC really should have just kept this to a renumbering of their books or rebooted the entire universe. They're trying to have their cake & eat it too will result in just as big a mess as they had after Crisis in the 80's. Unfortunately, there are a lot fewer comic readers these days than there were back then. I hope I'm wrong, but I think after the dust settles DC will, at best, have just as many readers as they had before Flashpoint, or, at worst, have even fewer.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Animal Man, Swamp Thing, & Men Of War
    I agree on all 3. And unfortunately, they're probably the books that the fewest people will read.

A big problem is some of these did not feel like great intros for new readers.
    That's the biggest problem to me. Many of the books really aren't super accessible. And even worse, many of them just weren't good enough that I see many new readers saying "3 bucks for THAT?"

Read Detective and Batgirl. The problem I have is they aren't bad but it's a departure from who the characters are. Like Batgirl kind of felt like a variation on the recent Stephanie Brown book but instead of Stephanie Brown put in a Barbara who has somehow recovered from the shooting and may never have been Oracle.

Detective was more along the lines of another gritty take on Batman.

Read Detective and Batgirl. The problem I have is they aren't bad but it's a departure from who the characters are. Like Batgirl kind of felt like a variation on the recent Stephanie Brown book but instead of Stephanie Brown put in a Barbara who has somehow recovered from the shooting and may never have been Oracle.

Detective was more along the lines of another gritty take on Batman.
    And a surprising amount of murder in the Bat books so far. So far the new DC seems pretty "grim and gritty".

I honestly don't know if it helps or hurts the sales of DC's comics, but I'm sick of all the hard-R gore & violence. I love horror movies but I don't want it in my superhero comics. It used to just be the modus operandi of Superboy Prime & Black Adam but it seems to be all over the place now. Part of my fondness for DC was that they were an "old school" alternative to today's Marvel but those differences are pretty much gone. Keeping secret identities around seems to be all that sets them apart from Marvel imo.

JOIN THE GROUP...

It seems like so far this is getting a fairly positive response in terms of sales and buzz.
    Like I said before, I'll be curious to see how that translates to long-term sales (ie: issues 5+)
    Bill :: guitargod694

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    I too really miss the old way where there wasn't any hardcore blood and guts. But to a degree I can understand and accept the usage in some titles. It'd be nice to have more titles that went the PG way, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    It seems like so far this is getting a fairly positive response in terms of sales and buzz.
    Like I said before, I'll be curious to see how that translates to long-term sales (ie: issues 5+)
    Me too, I just can't see it lasting say till Jan.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    Comics are all up right now, could be the summer movies leading into or who knows.

Go figure. I thought the Steph Batgirl was a variation on the Barbara Batgirl. The Batgirl in the new comic felt like Barbara to me, and I really enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. DC's publicly stated that the Oracle years will still be in continuity. We're just supposed to believe she was in her teens when she was shot by Joker.

I also read JL #1 and found it to be very brief and forgettable.
    I want to smurf your smurf.

Quote Originally Posted by Teelor View Post
    Go figure. I thought the Steph Batgirl was a variation on the Barbara Batgirl. The Batgirl in the new comic felt like Barbara to me, and I really enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. DC's publicly stated that the Oracle years will still be in continuity. We're just supposed to believe she was in her teens when she was shot by Joker.

I also read JL #1 and found it to be very brief and forgettable.
    It could be I just haven't read a Barbara Batgirl story but I didn't recall her being clumsy like Stephanie was and prone to get by despite the mistakes. But as I said it's been sometime.

It could be I just haven't read a Barbara Batgirl story but I didn't recall her being clumsy like Stephanie was and prone to get by despite the mistakes. But as I said it's been sometime.
    I think that's because she's out of practice. I'm assuming she only recently started wearing the Batgirl costume again.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I think it was just a very poorly written comic - and I expect so much more from Gail.

I think that's because she's out of practice. I'm assuming she only recently started wearing the Batgirl costume again.
    I meant before getting shot. I don't really remember the earlier version being so clumsy, which Stephanie was and was one of the constant problems Bruce and some of the others had with her.

So I kind of understand her being rusty in this issue, but it kind of felt like Stephanie. Not that it's a bad thing.

I think it was just a very poorly written comic - and I expect so much more from Gail.
    I didn't really think it was bad just awkward even with what they were trying to do with the character. I also felt they were trying to rush a few things to into a single issue, it was almost like they kept saying oh yeah make sure to put this in the first issue. Which kind of created some pacing issues, of course this felt much more rushed through than Justice League, and really both Detective and Action Comics.

Part of the problem is I have been reading Barbara Gordon as Oracle for years now and the development she gained that way. So while they are saying she was Oracle it doesn't quite feel like the same Barbara.
    Last edited by wyldman11; September 13, 2011 at 04:29pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So what are the #1's coming out tomorrow that people are looking forward to?

JOIN THE GROUP...

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    So what are the #1's coming out tomorrow that people are looking forward to?
    I'm curious as to what's going to happen with Green Lantern and Red Lanterns myself. The fact that Hal has been booted out and Sinestro is part of the GL Corps again concerns me. I also have a bad feeling for Ganthet.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

It's been hard reading these fresh and forgetting about the last twenty years of comics I've read. I have to pretend this is just how Barbara is and assume nothing. Otherwise I'll just ruin it for myself by worrying about when Spoiler is going to show up and if Cassandra is in it. But this is very hard. For all intents and purposes, this is like reading All Star Superman or an Elseworld tale. Nothing before it matters. Only difference is this is the new DC universe. It's a tough pill. But I'm trying.

I'm looking forward to all the new Batman titles this month. I never read Batman except for trades so this has been a good jumping on point for me. I'll be trying out all of them.

As for Green Lantern, I'm dropping Corp. The teaming of John and Guy is just too boring for me. I can already tell you how these two will react to any threat and that takes the fun out of things. Kyle and John had a great chemistry as did Kyle/Guy. But put the stoic and the hot head into a partnership and you can guess how that's going to go. Plus Natu's acting like a total ****** and Arisia isn't enough to keep me following these guys.

I will flip through Green Lantern as I'm curious where they're going with Sinestro. I have always liked the character and if this is a long road to redemption for him, this could be an amazing title. In reality, I bet they show he's ultimately incapable of being a hero and Hall returns in a blaze of glory.

I have no interest in the red lanterns. Too one note for me. Though I love the backstory of the red lantern with the wings.

I'll be picking up Green Lantern New Guardians as it feature Kyle has an interesting team and could have some cool, new story potential.