Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Reboots Universe.

The books I'm looking forward to tomorrow are Demon Knights, Frankenstein, and Green Lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I'm curious as to what's going to happen with Green Lantern and Red Lanterns myself. The fact that Hal has been booted out and Sinestro is part of the GL Corps again concerns me.
    Even though I don't want Hal gone forever, I think it could be cool seeing Sinestro take the lead for awhile. It also depends on what they do with it. I feel Green Lantern is not going to be a great book for new readers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I also have a bad feeling for Ganthet.
    Don't say that. I love Ganthet.

I know Marvel has gone on record as saying they plan on killing off a new character every couple months or so(I forget the actual quote), but I want DC to put a moratorium on that trend.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I meant before getting shot. I don't really remember the earlier version being so clumsy, which Stephanie was and was one of the constant problems Bruce and some of the others had with her.

So I kind of understand her being rusty in this issue, but it kind of felt like Stephanie. Not that it's a bad thing.

I didn't really think it was bad just awkward even with what they were trying to do with the character. I also felt they were trying to rush a few things to into a single issue, it was almost like they kept saying oh yeah make sure to put this in the first issue. Which kind of created some pacing issues, of course this felt much more rushed through than Justice League, and really both Detective and Action Comics.

Part of the problem is I have been reading Barbara Gordon as Oracle for years now and the development she gained that way. So while they are saying she was Oracle it doesn't quite feel like the same Barbara.
    For me, the biggest similarity between Barbara and Stephanie is they are both "underdog" Bat-characters. The Batgirl versions of them tend to bite off more than they can chew and then come out on top using mostly their wits. Also, they both look smashing in a batsuit.

As for the Batgirl #1 comic, I liked it. I know there were a few awkward moments (like the bizarre ending) but it's early in the game, so I'll be hanging around. (Plus, I really love the art.) W

One aspect I am trying to wrap my head around is that we are picking up at an earlier point in Barbara's life, so in this new world she wasn't Oracle for as long as in the pre-reboot world. Sadly, this would indicate that she had fewer Birds of Prey adventures than told, and Stephanie's Batgirl career "will never have happened" in the new DCU. But I am curious whether Helena and Cassandra were Batgirls. If DC wants to keep "No Man's Land" in continuity, it seems they would have to. If not, then Barbara might be the "only" Batgirl to operate in the new DCU. If that's true and it's been years since Barbara was shot, that would explain why one would-be victim mistakenly called her "Batwoman".

It's funny you would mention that Justice League felt less rushed than Batgirl. Honestly, I felt that comic was a ripoff. There's was just too little meat on the bones, too little story. If I can read and absorb a comic in six minutes, there's a problem. And that happened with this one. While Batgirl wasn't perfect, at least it gave me a good read that didn't end too quickly.
    I want to smurf your smurf.

Quote Originally Posted by Teelor View Post

It's funny you would mention that Justice League felt less rushed than Batgirl. Honestly, I felt that comic was a ripoff. There's was just too little meat on the bones, too little story. If I can read and absorb a comic in six minutes, there's a problem. And that happened with this one. While Batgirl wasn't perfect, at least it gave me a good read that didn't end too quickly.
    The time shown, Justice League one covered about an hour of real time where as Batgirl seemed to take place over 2-3 days, extremes. he other titles I read felt more like they took place over an afternoon or a day. Justice League felt like they were trying to put in as little as possible but Batgirl it felt like they were trying to put in as much as possible.

I have said I wasn't too fond of Justice League, it felt like Johns is taking some notes from Bendis' New Avengers. I don't think he is trying to recreate Bendis though
    Last edited by wyldman11; September 14, 2011 at 01:02pm.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

SPOILERS FOR AMANDA WALLER'S NEW DCU LOOK!!!

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5655/wallerd.jpg
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; September 14, 2011 at 01:46pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post

SPOILERS FOR AMANDA WALLER'S NEW DCU LOOK!!!

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5655/wallerd.jpg
    following with spoilers

Angela Basett?

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    That is COOL art. Is it from an upcoming Birds of Prey comic, or talented-fan artwork?
    I want to smurf your smurf.

That is COOL art. Is it from an upcoming Birds of Prey comic, or talented-fan artwork?
    Based on the style one of the future covers to the volume 3 of Birds of Prey. The image title of what Shokoti linked is BOP_Cv4 so most likely the 4th issue's cover.

Issue 1 Cover

Issue 3 Cover

All of which have the same signatures on them.

Just read today's comics:

Green Lantern #1: I didn't buy this just read it at the store. I was very, very excited that this might be a long road to redemption storyline for Sinestro. Stories of him learning to be a hero, patrolling, kind of like a Damian story. Nope, just a plot device to get Hal back his ring. When will I ever learn?

Batman and Robin #1: I really liked this. Damian has lived in awe of Bruce while **** wore the cowl and was scared into submission in Batman and Son. Here, Damian is confidant and established as a Robin. In fact he feels he's the best Robin and an even partner to his Dad. Bruce is now trying to raise a son AND fight crime simultaneously. Now that's a great story. Loving this.

I skipped Batwoman. Was going to get it but the art looks too Vertigo Sandman for me. Plus still don't really "get" the character. Been trying. Picked up her last series. But still not sure where she fits in and I don't want to spend 3 bucks reading prologue.

Can't wait for next week!

GREEN LANTERN: Definitely not "new reader" friendly. This is *blatantly* just the next issue of pre-reboot GREEN LANTERN. Didn't really care much for it, IMO, it continuing the downward spiral that GL has been on for a couple years. Launching your first issue with a pulse-pounding story about the lead character trying to talk his girlfriend into co-leasing a car is probably a mistake

RED LANTERNS: Awful. There are no compelling characters, not much of a storyline (other than rehashing what came before...). I have no idea why this book had to happen. And Ed Benes is still pretty awful.

LEGION LOST: There HAS to be a better way to introduce a comic than by having every character explain who they are and what their powers are on the first handful of pages.

BATMAN AND ROBIN: Thought it was OK, but I really miss the chemistry between Grayson and Damien.

So far I've just glanced through DEMON KNIGHT, DEATHSTROKE, SUPERBOY and SUICIDE SQUAD. Having trouble working up the energy to read them.

The DCnU continues to be a VERY violent place.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; September 14, 2011 at 05:26pm.

Readers and polls worldwide have pinpointed ANIMAL MAN as the second best release out of this RESTYLING.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    Readers and polls worldwide have pinpointed ANIMAL MAN as the second best release out of this RESTYLING.
    Its the only one that I've really liked so far. Everything else ranges from pretty good to absolutely awful, with most settling at slightly below mediocre.

It's supposed to be the cover of the 4th issue. Since people were already talking about Babs, I figured it would be cool to see that she'll get back in touch with her intial Birds Of Prey partner.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Green Lantern: I agree with BCI. Green Lantern is in no way a jumping on point and assumes that you've been reading GL. It assumes you know about Carol's Star Sapphire status, Hal getting kicked out of the GL Corps at the end of GL War, Ganthet's emotions, the Sinestro Corps, etc. I do wonder how Carol was able to pick up HER life after she's been off in space for awhile (a whole years worth of stories). Jordan's earth life is so messed up, he might as well stay in space.

Batman and Robin: It's the same complaint as GL, however, I'm not a familiar with the Bat books as I am with GL. Damien is a bit of an ass...

I thumbed through Red Lanterns. I like Ed Benes, but I hate the Red Lanterns. Do they even need a book? Suicide Squad was a turn off because of Harley's new look.

So Amanda has lost all of that weight, huh? I wonder what prompted that decision? Angela Basset?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

I'm stealing this from another forum, because it perfectly describes LEGION LOST:

Congratulations on making the most INDECIPHERABLE first issue I've ever read. And not just of any new series, but of a "Welcoming new readers to our fresh new start" new series. This is utter gibberish. References to Flashpoint, allusions to a battle from something not explained, leads chasing a bad guy whose history is never explained, references to pathogens that are never explained. I feel like I've walked in on part five of a six part epic and yet THIS IS THE FIRST ISSUE. The art from Woods is lovely, as ever, and it all whips along at a nice pace, but I haven't a ****ing clue what any of it means. I almost want to read the second issue just to see what actually IS happening.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Its the only one that I've really liked so far. Everything else ranges from pretty good to absolutely awful, with most settling at slightly below mediocre.
    IMHO, DC Comics nevere realized how much Animal Man is popular among comic books buffs, and never realized the HUGE potential of such a fascinating and excellent character.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Too many to discuss, so I'll just leave it in one to two words:

Batwing - Surprisingly Good
    Animal Man - Dreadful
    Swamp Thing - Excellent
    Justice League International - Amazing
    Men at War - Boring
    Hawk and Dove - Descent
    Green Arrow - Descent
    OMAC - Sucked
    Action Comics - Weirdly Good
    Static Shock - Boring

Green Lantern - Well Done
    Batman & Robin - Great (funny dialog)
    Suicide Squad - Weirdly Good
    Batwoman - What?
    Demon Knights - Fantastic

That is all that I have read so far. With Batwoman, I have no idea what the **** is happening. Why doe she have such pale skin? What happened to her being a millionaire? Now everyone is a lesbian around her?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    That is all that I have read so far. With Batwoman, I have no idea what the **** is happening. Why doe she have such pale skin? What happened to her being a millionaire? Now everyone is a lesbian around her?
    At the end of Miracle Day Jack Harkness passed on his other superpower of turning everyone around him gay to Batwoman also.

Actually for some reason I remember that being a slight complaint of the character before which were tied with complaints of Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    IMHO, DC Comics nevere realized how much Animal Man is popular among comic books buffs, and never realized the HUGE potential of such a fascinating and excellent character.
    I think you overestimate his popularity greatly. He's a lesser known character that is never going to be a huge draw - despite having some of the top writers in the business take their shots with him.

More books:

BATWOMAN: Gorgeous art. But it's blatantly obvious this has no connection to the reboot and is just the continuation of the previous arc. I actually READ the previous arc and was still a bit fuzzy on certain stuff. This falls into the GREEN LANTERN #1 trap of just continuing a story and makes no effort at all to introduce the characters.

RESURRECTION MAN: I loved the original series. But, yet again, no attempt to introduce who the lead is, what his motivation is, I'm also pretty sure they don't even mention his name. It's also a first issue whose entire premise is predicated on you knowing who he is and him being around for a while.

FRANKENSTEIN: AGENT OF SHADE: - Basically "What if the BPRD was SHIELD?" With Frankenstein as the DCnU's Hellboy playing Nick Fury. Fun start.

Again, we seem to have no rhyme or reason to the reboot, and no consistency between any of the books. Its starting to feel much more like a desperate plea for attention and less like a plan to make 'accessible' books for new readers.

I also worry that the best books so far are the ones that will have the smallest audiences.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; September 15, 2011 at 01:26pm.

I really didn't like Green Arrow, which I've been reading for years, and the only other book I went to buy, Frankenstein, was the first to sell out at the major comic store on release day.

Heroic Warrior

the numbers

don't think anyone has posted this

up top is JLA #1.

I want to say those numbers are derived from the comic shop orders. I'm not sure if those are for box holders aka holds and the shelves or what. i.e. 15 ordered with 10 for the holds and 5 for the shelves for the public.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/21030.html

I think you overestimate his popularity greatly. He's a lesser known character that is never going to be a huge draw - despite having some of the top writers in the business take their shots with him.
    Yep. He is one of my favorites and Morrison's work in particular was fantastic, but he's not very popular and probably never will be.

Preemptively, you can't base anything on eBay prices or even sales of this new #1.
    Get back to me when Animal Man #13 still sells more than 20,000-30,000 books.
    Hell, I'll be excited and surprised if there even is an Animal Man #13.

I also worry that the best books so far are the ones that will have the smallest audiences.
    Yeah, me too.
    But that wouldn't be much of a change, IMO.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    don't think anyone has posted this

up top is JLA #1.

I want to say those numbers are derived from the comic shop orders. I'm not sure if those are for box holders aka holds and the shelves or what. i.e. 15 ordered with 10 for the holds and 5 for the shelves for the public.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/21030.html
    I hate seeing books like FLASHPOINT and FEAR ITSELF way up there.

Not only are they absolutely horrible comics, but because they're selling well, its just going to keep encouraging Marvel and DC to do more nonstop crossover events.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

Not only are they absolutely horrible comics, but because they're selling well, its just going to keep encouraging Marvel and DC to do more nonstop crossover events.
    I haven't read them, but their concepts sound good. *shrugs* I like stuff like that much better than Reboots...or gimmicks like "look at my new costume all fans will hate, but we'll change it back to make everyone happy again, generate buzz and sell more books."
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Ugh, no kidding.

I used to really like crossovers, but the frequency and increasing number of tie-ins/issues have me really disinterested these last couple years.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I haven't read them, but their concepts sound good. *shrugs* I like stuff like that much better than Reboots...or gimmicks like "look at my new costume all fans will hate, but we'll change it back to make everyone happy again, generate buzz and sell more books."
    How about just telling good stories instead of any of the above? That's the model that worked for YEARS.

Company-wide event crossovers were something that happened like once a decade - they were a HUGE deal. And new costumes or reboots even less often.

ummm... And Flashpoint existed solely to reboot DC and create a bunch of costumes fans hate...

Fear Itself is just another in a never-ending stream of crossovers. But its made worse by being incredibly boring, and telling us its a REALLY BIG DEAL over and over when nothing looks or feels like it is...

The X-books are suffering the same thing. Too many events. There is a reason why most of them have become unreadable (with the exception of the few that aren;t part of the crossovers).
    Last edited by BCI Guy; September 15, 2011 at 06:59pm.