Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Reboots Universe.

Rounding out the rest of the week for me.
    My Greatest Adventure - hmmm, not sure what to say aside from it did seem each story was content wise comparative to Justice League. Considering they had 1/3 the pages says something. Not sure I want to read more or not

Superboy 2 - it's a follow up to last month. Hopefully a little more happens next time.

The Shade - I didn't dislike it, but I would have liked it more if I was more more aware of the character then a few appearances on Justice League (Ulimited).
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Captain Marvel will be appearing in a backup story in Justice League
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=48251
    About time.

So this time around being CM/shazam is a curse?

Though it doesn't need the help it's a good way for people to pick up JLA.

addition:But I don't think JLA has low sales numbers and I already pick up JLA

I just thought of something. I wonder if John Jones will be black. Sure J'onn is a shapeshifter, but recently his John Jones identity has been shown to be black in both Smallville & Young Justice. I haven't read Stormwatch #2 yet and I forget if he was shown in human form in the first issue.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Wonder Woman rocks again!

Oooh, the nuDC WW is every bit the warrior going by those Justice League pages.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

Let me guess. She rips someone's head off in issue #2.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Is the whole "Wonder Woman is the daughter of Zeus" thing new? It felt very Thor-ish to me. Other than that, I thought the first two issues of Wonder Woman were very good. And she's not a chaarcter I've ever really enjoyed, aside from the Lynda Carter TV show and the JLU cartoon.

My faves so far in the relaunch are: Nightwing, Batgirl, Aquaman, Birds of Prey, Animal Man, Supergirl and Huntress. It tried some other titles (Suicide Squad, Batman, Justice League, Justice League International, Catwoman, Action) but I thought they were steeeeeeeeeeenky.
    I want to smurf your smurf.

Did anyone take the Nielsen based survey for DC's New 52? I just heard about it for the first time in an interview with Patton Oswalt(he has sworn off DC for the time being due to being accosted by a Nielsen rep at Meltdown Comics). Unfortunately, it closed October 7th.

Did any of you participate in it? If so, what questions did it ask?

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Did anyone take the Nielsen based survey for DC's New 52? I just heard about it for the first time in an interview with Patton Oswalt(he has sworn off DC for the time being due to being accosted by a Nielsen rep at Meltdown Comics). Unfortunately, it closed October 7th.

Did any of you participate in it? If so, what questions did it ask?
    I did. I think it varied depending on the answers you gave. I think it listed all the books and asked if you bought them, had heard of them, were interested in them, and you checked the correct response that applied to you. I had to buy them all for my gig at Sciencefiction.com, so I checked that I bought them all and that was all the survey asked me. Oh and it was supposed to be confidential, so I shouldn't have written this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    I did. I think it varied depending on the answers you gave. I think it listed all the books and asked if you bought them, had heard of them, were interested in them, and you checked the correct response that applied to you. I had to buy them all for my gig at Sciencefiction.com, so I checked that I bought them all and that was all the survey asked me. Oh and it was supposed to be confidential, so I shouldn't have written this.
    Thanks.

Since I bought all 52 in the first month, I guess my survey would have been short as well.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Warrior
    I like the new Red Lantern and Green Lantern series and the blue Beetle also works for me...

I finally picked up Swamp Thing #1 -- VERY GOOD! I had never read Swamp Thing before, but I am now gonna pick it up for a few months, give it a real shot.

Conversely, getting through Deadman #1 was a real chore. The stodgy writing of the first half killed it for me.
    I want to smurf your smurf.

Quote Originally Posted by Teelor View Post
    Conversely, getting through Deadman #1 was a real chore. The stodgy writing of the first half killed it for me.
    I absolutely LOVE Bernard Chang's art, but Paul Jenkins is a horrible, horrible writer. And it appears he's being paid by the word....

--------------

I didn't do reviews of 2nd issues, because they would have all fallen in line with how I felt about the 1st issues (except ACTION jumped from good to VERY good). I still love, like or hate the same books as I did after Month 1.

Clear winners for me:

Action
    All Star Western
    Aquaman
    Animal Man
    Batman
    Batwoman
    Frankenstien
    I, Vampire
    Swamp Thing
    Wonder Woman

I haven't read last or this weeks titles yet, but I had/have a feeling that that would be the case for most people up till issue ~#6 of most titles.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Since Marvel is so terrible now, I can collect more DC books.

Justice League
    Action
    Superman
    Batman
    The Dark Knight
    Batgirl
    Catwoman
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Aquaman
    Demon Knights
    Teen Titans
    Red Hood

Wolverine and the X-Men was a pretty cool book. but it was mostly establishing the new status quo. The class curriculum in the back is a riot!

I'm slowly whittling down my list and cutting a lot of the bubble books. I just read Justice League Dark and it was excellent! Best depiction of Deadman and Dove in the New 52.

Teen Titans is so meh. The dialogue is clunky and also antiquated. Robin calls his enemies "Mooks?!" Do modern teens speak in Prohibition gangster slang these days? The art is so Image in the 90s.

Justice League 2 was a lot better than 1 and a lot more satisfying.

I have an "official" review coming for Aquaman, which'll hopefully get posted tonight. (Plug: http://sciencefiction.com/) I also submitted reviews for Wolverine and the X-Men and Incredible Hulk. I also have reviews due for I, Vampire and Hawkman as well as Avengers Solo, while while off-topic for this thread, was really good! Those'll pop up over the next few days until Sunday.

Mooks are a gang in City of Villains and mooks are often a term used for numerous low powered mobs or enemies in games.

A generic term for a group of enemy characters that are insignificant to the plot and simply there to be killed by the player. Often synonymous with Mob (computer gaming), but "mook" is generally used to refer to enemies specifically opposed to the player rather than just roaming monsters.

Honestly a lot of the problem dialogue in the new 52 comes off as a parent trying to sound like their child in attempt to be relevant to them. It often read like a mad-libs, this might be the real reason behind why DC Universe Online was started so DC could discover all this gamer lingo for their titles.
    Last edited by wyldman11; October 26, 2011 at 06:11pm.

I just read Justice League Dark and it was excellent! Best depiction of Deadman and Dove in the New 52.
    I think its by far the best of the Justice League books - and the one I was LEAST looking forward to.

Teen Titans is so meh. The dialogue is clunky and also antiquated. Robin calls his enemies "Mooks?!" Do modern teens speak in Prohibition gangster slang these days? The art is so Image in the 90s.
    The whole Comic feels like one of the many tired, over-saturated 90s Image book.

I, too, loved Justice League Dark. I loved the exploration into the relationship of Deadman and Dove. I thought it was handled in a very mature way - and by mature, I don't mean what it usually means nowadays, that it had foul language and nudity. I thought the relationship was handled with thought and care. Plus, the art in the book is BEYOND gorgeous.

I was also intrigued by the twist at the end of the issue. This book is rising to the top of my favorites with Batwoman, Animal Man, and Huntress.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Justice League Dark was a situation that I was expecting to like the concept but hate the delivery. So far I like it on both accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I think its by far the best of the Justice League books - and the one I was LEAST looking forward to.

The whole Comic feels like one of the many tired, over-saturated 90s Image book.
    We're definitely on the same page. The only saving grace for TT is that the creators do seem to be pushing for diversity. I hate that in this day and age, that that is even something to "credit" a book with, but unfortunately, it is. Skitter, the return of Solstice (even though she's jacked up) and upcoming, Brigade... I feel obligated to hang in. I kinda wish Tim Drake would just go ahead and come out, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    I, too, loved Justice League Dark. I loved the exploration into the relationship of Deadman and Dove. I thought it was handled in a very mature way - and by mature, I don't mean what it usually means nowadays, that it had foul language and nudity. I thought the relationship was handled with thought and care. Plus, the art in the book is BEYOND gorgeous.

I was also intrigued by the twist at the end of the issue. This book is rising to the top of my favorites with Batwoman, Animal Man, and Huntress.
    You have EXCELLENT taste! Try Wonder Woman and Aquaman, too!

You have EXCELLENT taste! Try Wonder Woman and Aquaman, too!
    Thanks. I read Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Wonder Woman is my favorite superhero, so I'll read her through thick or thin. I love the art in Wonder Woman, but I am saddened by what they are doing with the character. Aquaman is also one of my favorite superheroes ever. I love the art. The writing is OK. I wish they'd stop wasting pages with two words on a double splash page. There are only 20 pages in the books now, and I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth. Plus, one issue was fine with the "Aquaman's so uncool" metatextual dialogue, but another issue? They're good comics, I just wish they could be better.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    Thanks. I read Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Wonder Woman is my favorite superhero, so I'll read her through thick or thin. I love the art in Wonder Woman, but I am saddened by what they are doing with the character.
    The old school WW fans liked her better as an ambassador from an advanced culture, but alot of new Wonder Woman fans like the Azzarello version, which gives fans a straight up Amazonian warrior woman.

The old school WW fans liked her better as an ambassador from an advanced culture, but alot of new Wonder Woman fans like the Azzarello version, which gives fans a straight up Amazonian warrior woman.
    I've enjoyed Azz's first 2 issues of WW much more than anything I've read in her comic in years.

I just don't like Wonder Woman as a blood thirsty killer. Azzarello's work on her is better than what he did on Superman & Batman, but it's not Wonder Woman to me.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I just don't like Wonder Woman as a blood thirsty killer. Azzarello's work on her is better than what he did on Superman & Batman, but it's not Wonder Woman to me.
    WW isn't a killer. She's a warrior. Like Beowulf, Persueus, King Arthur and all of these other heroes of antiquity who DID kill their enemies.

"Amazon's never surrender!"
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; October 28, 2011 at 07:43pm.