Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Toy Display 1986

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    The Heman display was 21' wide by 12' deep by 12' high. It took ten people to set it up and close to six hours to make it "star ready" for each mall. The tour lasted 29 weeks and started in West Mifflin, PA, then to FL,NJ,IL, OH, IN,MO,WA,NV,CA & many other states. I gave out thousands of posters and iron decals. It was the one of the first times the use of video disks were featured. The presentation was seen by hundreds of thousands of kids of all ages. Signed, the sole Tour Manager - 1986
    RobertLon1926 4 minutes ago
    Have any of the posters and/or decals surfaced?

Ah man, what can i say? LoL. That was really special!

Can you imagine they do something like this at SDCC to blow away the competition? Wow

Makes me sad when i walk down the action figure aisle nowadays and see 'Bionacle' Transformers figures & WWE figures as the focus plus a stack of unknown cheap trash and empty shelves and hooks

I'm so glad i was privileged enough to have grown up during the eighties. Such a unique decade which has left me with fantastic memories!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Woah, that was really awesome! Too bad we didn't get to see the Horde though. I wonder who played He-Man and Skeletor in that video...and if Mattel still has it in their archives!?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Woah, that was really awesome! Too bad we didn't get to see the Horde though. I wonder who played He-Man and Skeletor in that video...and if Mattel still has it in their archives!?
    Hop on YouTube and message the Tour Manager.

THAT RULED! I love collecting toys because it's great fun and keeps me young, but it has been a while since I've seen something that TOTALLY made me feel like I WAS a kid again!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

That video was awesome! The 80's were the golden age of toys. Nothing like them before and only shadows of them since.

Stupid video games... taking all the kids money from the toy companies.

thatwas just too much awsome for me, wow, that made me remeber why i love masters of the universe, i might quit other lines to further dedicate to motu..........awsome thx to whoever posted this, for sure!

You have no idea what this video means to me. That thing came to Fresno CA, at the Fashion Fair Mall. My dad wouldn't let my brother and I go see it. When I got to school on Monday all my friends had seen it and said it was the coolest thing ever. I've looked all over the internet for any info on this thing for years. I even started a thread on this site years ago, and no one knew anything about it. I have wondered for years what it looked like inside, and now I know. This is so cool. Thank you so much for posting it. Someone had the Snake Mountain and Castle Greyskull from this display on Ebay a few years ago. I asked them what other information they had about them, but the seller didn't know much. The castles both looked so cool with those paint jobs. I'll check my computer at home and see if I saved those images.

Quote Originally Posted by erisk View Post
    You have no idea what this video means to me. That thing came to Fresno CA, at the Fashion Fair Mall. My dad wouldn't let my brother and I go see it. When I got to school on Monday all my friends had seen it and said it was the coolest thing ever. I've looked all over the internet for any info on this thing for years. I even started a thread on this site years ago, and no one knew anything about it. I have wondered for years what it looked like inside, and now I know. This is so cool. Thank you so much for posting it. Someone had the Snake Mountain and Castle Greyskull from this display on Ebay a few years ago. I asked them what other information they had about them, but the seller didn't know much. The castles both looked so cool with those paint jobs. I'll check my computer at home and see if I saved those images.
    Yep, I remember the Ebay auctions for Snake Mountain and Castle Grayskull. The minute I saw this video, I knew they came from that display!

I'd love to see those pictures! I really want to paint up one of my extra Snake Mountains like that!
    Need stuff? I might just have it!

Check out my shop!

SHOP1321

http://blujay.com/scar1321
    I'm always adding stuff!

Man, I was 7 when this video came out...LOVED, LOVED he-man...everything He-man, but we would never got something like this in South Dakota..but I sure wish we did..It's so amazing people have these little gems locked away into vhs cassettes...someone above said: "I'm so glad i was privileged enough to have grown up during the eighties. Such a unique decade which has left me with fantastic memories!" and that was so right on..it really was an amazing time to be a kid, there just doesn't seem to be anything special like that anymore...or maybe its just us..lol

This was a really cool video. I never remember anything like this when I was a kid, so they must not have gotten around to Buffalo, NY.

On a side note, I loved seeing the inside of the mall from way back then - the Kinney Shoes store front was great!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Torque View Post
    This was a really cool video. I never remember anything like this when I was a kid, so they must not have gotten around to Buffalo, NY.

On a side note, I loved seeing the inside of the mall from way back then - the Kinney Shoes store front was great!
    I can relate! I definitely wouldve cried to go if it was at the Galleria or somethin.

And definitely love seeing 80s mall pics every time they surface. I saw an article a few weeks ago with a good couple dozen pics from inside malls from the 80s. Wish I could find it again.

Ah here it is I think: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/40-mo...-malls-in-1989

I think there's actually going to be a book published on it or something. Could be interesting.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Widget
    There is a mid-80s Jackie Chan movie from China in which the climactic scene takes place in some department store, presumably in Hong Kong. In a few sequences, you can see MOTU merchandise hanging on hooks, although all of it is really in the background, so I doubt you could make out specific items. If I think of it later, I'll ask my wife the title of the film; she'll remember.

You know, that looks pretty elaborate. Almost like the Santa-villages they put up in malls, only with MOTU. Seems pretty obviously to have been put up and sponsored by Mattel.

Which led me to think: sometimes, those Santa-village things with Santas in the middle feature a giveaway item, once you get to seeing Santa. Santa hands the kid something.

Wonder if this might have been the venue through which Savage He-Man was given away? A touring "meet He-Man" show?
    Last edited by mozartpc27; June 16, 2011 at 03:59pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by mozartpc27 View Post
    There is a mid-80s Jackie Chan movie from China in which the climactic scene takes place in some department store, presumably in Hong Kong. In a few sequences, you can see MOTU merchandise hanging on hooks, although all of it is really in the background, so I doubt you could make out specific items. If I think of it later, I'll ask my wife the title of the film; she'll remember.
    It wouldn't happen to be Police Story would it?

I can relate! I definitely wouldve cried to go if it was at the Galleria or somethin.

And definitely love seeing 80s mall pics every time they surface. I saw an article a few weeks ago with a good couple dozen pics from inside malls from the 80s. Wish I could find it again.

Ah here it is I think: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/40-mo...-malls-in-1989

I think there's actually going to be a book published on it or something. Could be interesting.
    Thanks for posting that link to the mall pictures in 1989. Really cool to look back on and reflect! I wish me or my parents would have had the gumption to take a bunch of pictures of our local mall with the toy stores where I got all of my MOTU. My parents took pictures of me almost everywhere else.

Count Marzo - do/did you live in Buffalo? If so, I could imagine this display somewhere in the Galleria Mall by JCPenney. However, if it did come out in the early/mid 80s, then it probably would have been in the Eastern Hills Mall. My mom and I went shopping there every Friday night when I was little. I found most of my original MOTU figures at the nearby Child World.

Those pictures at the mall were hilarious! There sure were a lot of should pads and denim jackets!

wow, awesome video n motu setup, damn, that was huge

i lost interest in motu by late summer 1985 when she-ra came out. i know my local k-mart n sears had some really cool motu displays btween 83 and 84. i remember seeing them. i'm sure my childhood city had a display like this back then, too bad i knew nothing of motu after 1985
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

This video makes me sad for my kids. They'll never get to experience how great it was to be a child growing up in the 80's...

Sallah

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Count Marzo - do/did you live in Buffalo? If so, I could imagine this display somewhere in the Galleria Mall by JCPenney. However, if it did come out in the early/mid 80s, then it probably would have been in the Eastern Hills Mall. My mom and I went shopping there every Friday night when I was little. I found most of my original MOTU figures at the nearby Child World.

Those pictures at the mall were hilarious! There sure were a lot of should pads and denim jackets!
    Yes I did and do once again live in Buffalo. I barely remember that Child World. I rarely went to Eastern Hills. It was always the Galleria, Seneca, or McKinley Mall for me. We had lots of great stores around here that I remember getting MOTU, Gobots, Transformers, etc... from as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    This video makes me sad for my kids. They'll never get to experience how great it was to be a child growing up in the 80's...
    Yeah I don't have kids and never plan on it, but I do often feel bad for kids today when I think back to what it was like to be a kid growing up in the 80s. It's a real shame to think about.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Yes I did and do once again live in Buffalo. I barely remember that Child World. I rarely went to Eastern Hills. It was always the Galleria, Seneca, or McKinley Mall for me. We had lots of great stores around here that I remember getting MOTU, Gobots, Transformers, etc... from as a kid. (
    That's cool. I used to live in Cheektowaga and went to the high school right behind the Galleria, so I remember a lot of great toy stores there. I think that when the Galleria first opened, it had three toy stores. The one downstairs near the movie theater had a really good selection on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle figures. Those were the days...

Don't forget the hair!

A Defender of Grayskull coolapex's Avatar
    Thank you so much for finding and sharing this video. For all of those who actually saw that MOTU display, back in 86, with the eyes of a child consider yourselves very lucky. It's the kind of memory that would last a life time. Boy, that was so awesome!!!!!!!

A-ma-zing!
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

That was amazing! Does anyone know what mall in NJ it made a stop at?