Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have we reached the limit of MOTUC releases per month??

Have we reached the limit of MOTUC releases per month??

Hey guys,

Every year it seems we get another new SKU added to the MOTUC line. We first had the quarterly figures, then the beasts/two packs, and now possibly vehicles. On a lot of months you have to shell out a ton of cash to get the stuff you want, because usually there are multiple things to buy on any given month. Now while it's awesome that the line is getting stronger with time, I fear there might be a limit to the amount of product released and people either starting to pick and choose, or drop it altogether because it's becoming a bigger expense than it once was.

I'm not against beasts, or vehicles or anything like that, but I think it would be a challenge for the line if we start seeing something like a monthly figure, a beast, a quarterly figure, and a vehicle all in the same month (consistently), in addition to all the re-releases too. Another possibility is that they may consider releasing two new figures per month instead of one, which might result in the same effect I just described.

So with the standard figures, quarterly figures, beasts/two packs, vehicles, weapons packs, diorama pieces/stands, have we reached a limit of MOTUC releases?? Personally I think we are getting close to that point. Thoughts?
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Heroic Warrior
    You`re absolutely right, my wallet is bleeding from all those releases...

I like getting at least two things every month. This month has been the first one this year with only one item but thankfully Catra is my favorite figure this year so that makes up for her not having another item paired with her.

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    I think it's in Mattel's best intersest to keep new releases at two a month. More than that can cause people to pick and choose, if they aren't already naturally that way anyway, unless we're talking re-releases, which those could be released in addition to new ones.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

i hope 2 is all i don't have the $$ for more lol

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

My thought is they should cut back on re-releases, give us:
    - 2 new figures (including variants) each month (i.e. 24 figures per year, plus SDCC and sub exclusive);
    - retain 1 beast per quarter
    - add 1 vehicle every 6 months
    - 1 playset per year

Subscription holders should have the choice to add the playset to their subscription, as a tier, and also to smooth the high playset cost over the year have the option of paying in equal monthly instalments until in December (just in time for Xmas) the playset would be fully paid for!

I don't want the line to emd prematurely so give me more stuff quicker!
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

But the vehicles aren't part of the subscription (yet), are they ? I hope not because I've decided not to get any vehicles whatsoever and stick to collecting figures, beasts and maybe the occasional playset. Anyway, I agree that this line is getting to a point where I can't afford anymore to buy every item.

If I were Mattel, I'd come up with different kinds of subscriptions. For example:

option 1: Vintage + POP (including all beasts of these eras)
    option 2: Vintage + POP + NA (including all beasts of these eras)
    option 3: Vintage + POP + NA + Filmation (including all beasts of these eras)
    option 4: everything

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    But the vehicles aren't part of the subscription (yet), are they ? I hope not because I've decided not to get any vehicles whatsoever and stick to collecting figures, beasts and maybe the occasional playset. Anyway, I agree that this line is getting to a point where I can't afford anymore to buy every item.

If I were Mattel, I'd come up with different kinds of subscriptions. For example:

No they're not, but based on the history of this line there is a good possibility that they will be added in an upcoming year.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

... I see :/
    Well, if they do include them in the subscription, I certainly won't renew mine.

What if vehicles are added as a swap for beasts ... i.e. 1 beast or vehicle per quarter?

yes, that might work actually

I think I am about at my max. I say keep it going as it is now. I get 2 subs so I have to multiply everything by 2 and that gets really expensive.

I am also a little miffed about the current sub. Too many monthly releases. Mattel should do an al-la-carte subscription - letting customers pick their poison(s): MOTU, POP, NA, beasts, vehicles, or all

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    You`re absolutely right, my wallet is bleeding from all those releases...
    I hear that! I liked it when it was one new figure each month, like a "Figure of the month" club, if you will. If they ever include vehicles in the sub, or start releasing lots of stuff every month, I'll just have to pick and choose and then buy what I missed from other .orgers or online somewhere.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    I really couldn't do any more than I do now. This sub is, at times, a little financially taxing. This month was a real relief for me. ONLY $31 for a figure this month. Whew!

I'm also avoiding vehicles and Playsets due to space and cash constraints, so if they are added to the sub, I'm out, and all those figures I'm not wild about but keep anyway I just won't be buying.

It can be rough. I'll take whatever they have, but I hope they would space it out rather than all at once.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    i say keep it coming!
    if we miss any we can choose to buy it latter.

I am happy myself with the way things are currently going. I dont mind getting 2 figures a month.. which ever they may be. I am glad that the re-issues are not part of the subscription. If they ever were to.. I hope there would be an option to have them, or opt to not have them in your subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    i say keep it coming!
    if we miss any we can choose to buy it latter.
    These are wise words. Keep pushing out the toys Matty.
    We cannot buy a figure that was never released.

I'm not sure what other SKUs could be added to the line after vehicles. I think what we have covers just about everything - except playsets, but they're not on the cards and I can't imagine them ever being part of the subscription.

Excuding the subscription exclusive and the SDCC figure we get 16 figures per year. I guess we could have 4 beasts and 4 vehicles on top of that. That would be 24 items per year. Each month would either be a 2 figures, a figure and a beast, or a figure and a vehicle. That would work. Financially, I could cope with that.

That said the vehicles aren't part of the subscription in 2012, so it would be at 2013 at the earliest before that format could be adopted.

Next year I would imagine will be the same as this year, with perhaps a couple of vehicles and the Snake Mountain stands in addition to the sub items.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    I´ll have to pick and choose next year, if its going on like now. If they add stuff per month iam screwed

Heroic Warrior
    I got into collecting this line late (April 2010) mainly because I collect DCUC and kept seeing it on Matty, 4 Horsemen sculpts, liked them as a child, and it was "1" figure a month. If this line were at retail like waves or series I would definitely would be picking and choosing, but the current format allows for me to be a completist, any more and I'm not sure? I do love seeing the new reveals and these figures are fantastic with only a few "personal" preferences I would have liked on a couple releases

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton72 View Post
    I am also a little miffed about the current sub. Too many monthly releases. Mattel should do an al-la-carte subscription - letting customers pick their poison(s): MOTU, POP, NA, beasts, vehicles, or all
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post

Guys, I'm all for tiered subscriptions, but tiering the actual eras of regular figs', is a really bad idea!

It would lead to dramatically lowered orders on everything that isn't vintage Motu, and some may even be cancelled.

So that's a no-no. Instead, go with these tiers:

Tier 1: Monthly figures (12)
    Tier 2: Monthly + variant (24)
    Tier 3: Monthly + variant + Beasts/two-packs
    Tier 4: EVERYthing(!) (Monthly + variant + Beasts/two-packs + vehicles)

I think the playsets are simply so rare, and so expensive, that I don't see any point in including them in a subscription.

Court Magician

Yeh, I am at the end and consider my collection nearly complete already...

Lets face it, the releases themselves are not close to being as exciting as they used to be. Instead of TrapJaw and Scareglow we have Catra and Bo? Are you serious?

I like She-Ra a lot, but a lot of those figures were made to be dolls. I do not want figure versions of all the POP just because. Can you dig?

I want Horde, I want Snake Men, I want scary and powerful - not Bo. Not Marlena...

I did not subscribe this year and thank god I have not. It would have been a ridiculous waste of money.

I only want the core MOTU charactors - so all I have left is:

The Snake Men
    Stinkor
    Mekaneck
    Mantenna

That is it. I mean, I will be on the site to buy stuff like The Faceless one because he looks great, but you can count me out on all the filler Matty keeps putting out.

Battle Ground Teela...Vikor?? Seriously? Come on....

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
    Hey guys,

Every year it seems we get another new SKU added to the MOTUC line. We first had the quarterly figures, then the beasts/two packs, and now possibly vehicles. On a lot of months you have to shell out a ton of cash to get the stuff you want, because usually there are multiple things to buy on any given month. Now while it's awesome that the line is getting stronger with time, I fear there might be a limit to the amount of product released and people either starting to pick and choose, or drop it altogether because it's becoming a bigger expense than it once was.

I'm not against beasts, or vehicles or anything like that, but I think it would be a challenge for the line if we start seeing something like a monthly figure, a beast, a quarterly figure, and a vehicle all in the same month (consistently), in addition to all the re-releases too. Another possibility is that they may consider releasing two new figures per month instead of one, which might result in the same effect I just described.

So with the standard figures, quarterly figures, beasts/two packs, vehicles, weapons packs, diorama pieces/stands, have we reached a limit of MOTUC releases?? Personally I think we are getting close to that point. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Guys, I'm all for tiered subscriptions, but tiering the actual eras of regular figs', is a really bad idea!

It would lead to dramatically lowered orders on everything that isn't vintage Motu, and some may even be cancelled.

So that's a no-no. Instead, go with these tiers:

Tier 1: Monthly figures (12)
    Tier 2: Monthly + variant (24)
    Tier 3: Monthly + variant + Beasts/two-packs
    Tier 4: EVERYthing(!) (Monthly + variant + Beasts/two-packs + vehicles)
    Well, I hope the line lasts long enough for everyone to get the figures they desire and I certainly don't want to see whole era's getting cancelled just because they won't sell as much as vintage. It's not because I personally have no love at all for NA that it shouldn't be made or that others shouldn't have the chance to enjoy these characters ... because that would be beyond selfish. I remember how disappointed I was when 200X (and later on the stactions line) came to an end before I got a MYP Moss Man or a Spikor statue.

This being said, there's no way I can afford spending 30$ on an action figure that I genuinely don't want and - as the majority of the vintage A-list has already been released -future line-ups will inevitably consist of a lot of characters that I don't care for. A tiered subscription based on era's would allow me to dodge the 450$ worth of NA that's still to come. Otherwise I'll just take my chances with the WSOD again and if I miss out there's always the .org marketplace or Ebay.