Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo's Wii U (Project Cafe)

Nintendo's Wii U (Project Cafe)

This is just the controller. Yes, the controller.

This was debuted at E3 and will no doubt spark a new rise of gaming consoles, or possibly lack of consoles.

Here's the article that links to more reported features about the Wii U's debut from ign.com.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1173582p1.html

Yes please.

a bit iffy on all this... I was hoping that they would take the next step and do full motion control built into the system, claiming XBox's cool Kinect is now 'obsolete'. Just kind of 'whelmed' with this announcement..
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Hm. It's cute, but I'm not seeing a need for it at the moment. Then again, I never see a need for new gimmicks. The DS grew on me pretty quickly (though I still think they could have taken out touch controls in many of them and made a better game) but the Wii - after all this time - still tweaks me a bit. It's games like Donkey Kong Country Returns that bother me. Games where they think it's okay to have motion controls and NO option to turn them off for classic controls. The option should be there, but they want to force thier gimmick on you. I can see a few ways where this new item could be cool, but I see many MORE ways where they can force you to use it in place of what you already know how to do. And I know: you have to embrace new things 'cause they sometimes are more than just different. Sometimes they're better. Sometimes. Other times, like with DKCR, they make something needlessly harder just because they have the gimmick.

Nonetheless, this does seem more like a tool. I'm just not seeing the point of certain features. Why use a second screen to zoom in when I could just zoom in the screen? What's the difference between throwing ninja stars with this screen and aiming the remote and pushing a button? Doesn't the golf game work whether or not you can see the ball on the floor? It's not like you've got a real club to line up with the ball. Finally, I suppose the "play on the screen while the TV doesn't something else" thing is kinda neat...but I don't see myself using it. I've lived my whole life with finding a save point or just turning it off when there are other things to do. On top of that, I always had the tiny TV in the basement to play games, so this problem never came up. It's cute...but I just don't see it as some big innovation.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I love it already!! can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Hm. It's cute, but I'm not seeing a need for it at the moment. Then again, I never see a need for new gimmicks. The DS grew on me pretty quickly (though I still think they could have taken out touch controls in many of them and made a better game) but the Wii - after all this time - still tweaks me a bit. It's games like Donkey Kong Country Returns that bother me. Games where they think it's okay to have motion controls and NO option to turn them off for classic controls. The option should be there, but they want to force thier gimmick on you. I can see a few ways where this new item could be cool, but I see many MORE ways where they can force you to use it in place of what you already know how to do. And I know: you have to embrace new things 'cause they sometimes are more than just different. Sometimes they're better. Sometimes. Other times, like with DKCR, they make something needlessly harder just because they have the gimmick.

Nonetheless, this does seem more like a tool. I'm just not seeing the point of certain features. Why use a second screen to zoom in when I could just zoom in the screen? What's the difference between throwing ninja stars with this screen and aiming the remote and pushing a button? Doesn't the golf game work whether or not you can see the ball on the floor? It's not like you've got a real club to line up with the ball. Finally, I suppose the "play on the screen while the TV doesn't something else" thing is kinda neat...but I don't see myself using it. I've lived my whole life with finding a save point or just turning it off when there are other things to do. On top of that, I always had the tiny TV in the basement to play games, so this problem never came up. It's cute...but I just don't see it as some big innovation.
    I can see your point on the new technology's show-off tendency. I still have a Razor phone instead of an iPhone or any of those other portable computers like what Cable had stuck in his bionic arm from the old X-Men cartoon. I will agree that a lot of the features are quite gimmickey like the throwing stars and the golf ball. I can see the use in the Wii Fit feature just for your daily weigh-in if you prefer to your work outs separately. Playing a game while you're not at home is really cool and was something I remember from the Sega Dreamcast's memory units. In fact I had one with a mini-game that was downloaded from Power Stone. It wasn't much, but it was neat just to have.

The ability to make a video call and get on the Internet like an iPad is amazing. I have no desire to own an iPad and find little relevance to it, but if my video game console controller does the exact same things as Apple's do-hickey then I'm all over it. What's going to suck will be the cost for the controller. If you think a Wii remote or 360 controller is expensive for $50 a pop, just wait until you see the price tag on those things.

As far as in-game, the touch screen looked like it served as easy access to your inventory in the Zelda game demo. I like that considering I hate hitting a button and taking a break from the game to try to figure out my inventory. I can do that while I play my game and not feel like I'm wasting time on something like that. It can open up quite a few options for educational games that I hope will be explored and executed being a parent. Why get all these different Leap Frog games when my son gets older when I can hand over the Wii U controller and he can have the same experience, but it will be something that he knows the grown-ups play with as well. It would be a way to give him something that will help in his development without making it look like something that's been significantly altered or dumbed down just for him because he's a kid. Let's face it, as a parent your kid will look up to you and want to participate in the activities you do practically the same way you do. This thing has a ton of potential to bring a world of empowerment to children.

Also, that touch screen can add more controls to a game if needed to allow a richer experience than what the face buttons and their combinations can bring. Games like Wario Ware and Resident Evil 4 made good use of the speaker on the Wii remote to enhance the interactive experience. Just imagine playing a Resident Evil game where you're going down a dark corridor with almost no sound, the tension is rising on what might come at you from nowhere and then your communicator goes off through the screen on your controller. Anyone would likely jump out of their seat from the false scare if that happened. Think about Mortal Kombat. Let's say a future installment uses some of the scare/suprise features like this new one. Instead of having the creature come out of nowhere on your TV in the Krypt or noticing that elusive "Toasty!" face pop up during a fight, what it if it happened on the touch screen to bring it closer to you and make the shock value that much more powerful? There's a lot of cool stuff just waiting to be discovered on this controller the video didn't even touch on.

I can understand your point about forcing the motion controls on games that probably don't need it. I think something the Wii lacked that probably would've helped its performance a lot was the ability to switch between either classic or Wii controls for almost all of their games. At least Punch-Out!! had this option.

There's an article over at engadget that says that the processor is equal to the one in the Watson computer that won Jeopardy. It's supposedly heads and shoulders above the PS3 and 360.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I'm sure it's really cool and everything, but...I don't know. The Wii (which I have and is cool) has never really excited me that much. I may have played it 10 times. The other systems always have more games that interest me. *shrugs*

If it had a Blu-Ray player in it (the Wii), it would probably be hooked up still and would get more use...but...it doesn't so it's packed away.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    There's an article over at engadget that says that the processor is equal to the one in the Watson computer that won Jeopardy. It's supposedly heads and shoulders above the PS3 and 360.
    There are some other devs that confirmed its very powerful, rumors are the bird tech demo we saw was made by Epic (Mark Rein tweeted a cryptic tweet the min the tech demo ran)

Also its not just a new controller, the unit is completely new hardware so anyone thinking its just a Wii with HDMI and a new controller is going to be in for a shock

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    The other systems always have more games that interest me. *shrugs*
    Well see that is the thing that will make things interesting, it will have the exact same games as the other 2 systems so it will come down to if the tablet controller use is interesting because the "its has no games but Nintendos" critique won't really apply

But people could still avoid it over preferring to use the 360s online (XBL and Achievements) or any Blu-Ray content and PSN use the PS3 versions have
    Last edited by markatisu; June 8, 2011 at 09:07pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I'm happy with my Super Nintendo.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Well if it's $250 or less, I'm probably in.

I'd obviously be getting the Mainline Mario games, SSB, and other franchises on it. I'd also get the third party exclusives that piqued my interest, and multiplatform titles that don't make it to Windows, or the ones where the Wii U somehow got the superior experience.

The system itself looks like it's going to be pretty cool. I love that it can run all of the Wii stuff, and all of the old peripherals I bought will work with it.
    I wonder if Nintendo will make a way for us to transfer our wii shop data to the new system somehow. I really don't want to have to re buy all of that stuff if I don't have to. Worst case is I have to leave the old wii hooked up to play them.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I expect that Nintendo will have a way to transfer a person's Wii shop info to the new system -- they've already done that with the DSi and the 3DS.

Nintendo has gameplay demonstration videos (as well as several trailers) up on their E3 website:

http://e3.nintendo.com/

I like how Nintendo is displaying the new controller -- it's seems like it will be a compliment to the existing Wii Remotes rather than a replacement.

There's a video of one Wii U game that's kind of like Mario-esque hide & seek. The player with the new controller can see everything, but the 4 players using Wii Remotes can only see from their character's perspective (the same perspective used in recent Mario games).
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; June 9, 2011 at 07:30pm.

I guess now is the time to buy Nintendo stock so you can sell out of it when the Wii U hits its prime just before it starts dropping off again.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1174333p1.html

Depending on the price, I might give it a go. I'm not a big gamer these days, but I've had every Nintendo console(although, like Darkspecter, I haven't played Wii very much). If this keeps Nintendo from falling to the same fate as Sega, I'll be happy.

It just seems to be the same problem I have with all of the iPhones, iPads, and other new tech that is out there. Can they do cool things? Yes. Do they do things that I would actually use or have any desire to do myself? No. It seems like technology these days is more of a status symbol for what it can do rather than actually offer up options that people will use. I guess I'm just getting old. I still can remember when going to the movies, you only had to deal with people talking. Now you have to deal with cellphones, texting, & people playing video games(which I've seen more than once).
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    It just seems to be the same problem I have with all of the iPhones, iPads, and other new tech that is out there. Can they do cool things? Yes. Do they do things that I would actually use or have any desire to do myself? No. It seems like technology these days is more of a status symbol for what it can do rather than actually offer up options that people will use. I guess I'm just getting old. I still can remember when going to the movies, you only had to deal with people talking. Now you have to deal with cellphones, texting, & people playing video games(which I've seen more than once).
    Ugh...old man high five, dude. I don't think I could have said it any better. I admit to having older thoughts than my actual age, so I know I can easily dismiss things before really using them. I mean, I was against texting for so long until I finally started using it. I still don't understand the thing where kids have replaced talking with texting, but I do find a quick text here and there incredibly useful (avoids having to play phone tag and all that, especially when all I wana do is say something like "meet me for dinner here at 8"). Of course I do those things when I can, and like you said, it seems like everyone else just does them right when they think of them - in a movie or not.

Anyway, like you said, I'm just not into the multi-tool gaming system.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Depending on the price, I might give it a go. I'm not a big gamer these days, but I've had every Nintendo console(although, like Darkspecter, I haven't played Wii very much). If this keeps Nintendo from falling to the same fate as Sega, I'll be happy.
    I think Nintendo will always be around, SEGA was having problems 2 generations before their ultimate downfall after the Dreamcast. I would see a merger with Apple or something along those lines then what happened to SEGA, Atari, and SNK.

Nintendo never makes a product unless its designed to profit upon release, the Wii was technically turning a profit on launch day.

Its one of the knocks against them and why they tend to be behind the curve tech wise, they wait till things are affordable and because of that they don't bleed in finances like their competitors (if Sony did not have TVs and Microsoft did not have Windows/Office they would have been almost bankrupt).
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Will buy only if only to play newest Legend of Zelda game.

It really looks interesting in the long run. I've enjoyed the Wii and look forward to playing this one.

I am really excited for that new controller, it looks really cool.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Will buy only if only to play newest Legend of Zelda game.

It really looks interesting in the long run. I've enjoyed the Wii and look forward to playing this one.
    i think skyward sword is still going to be a wii game. i don't remember them saying they would pull a twilight princess and also release it for wii u.

i guess it's only a matter of time before they do make a zelda game for it though.

Now that we are only a few months from the probable launch who is planning on picking up a Wii U? I am getting it on launch day for Mario Bros. abd Pikmin 3 alone but also looking forward to Zombi U (despite the stupid name).
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

the wii u game i'm most looking forward to is lego city undercover. if the 3DS version isn't too watered down, i may just go with that. same goes for my #2 wii u game, scribblenauts unlimited. the only wii u exclusive that i'm real excited about is zombi u. this isn't a knock on the console though. the first year or so of any console is normally kinda bland to me.

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I plan to pick it up at some point. I may try to get it at release, but I may also hold off until early next year as this time of year can get expensive, there are a lot of MOTUC items coming out, and I've had a lot of other expenses lately. I guess price and game selection will be a major factor. I do want to get the new Mario game for it above all else, but from what I hear that may not be coming out right at launch anyway. It also depends upon how difficult or easy it will be to obtain. I remember when preorders went up at Gamestop for the original Wii, it was only announced not too far in advance, and you pretty much had to be there right when they opened to reserve it or miss out. I managed to go there and get it, but it was difficult being in the middle of a work day and all. I'm not sure if the demand for the Wii U will be similar, but I don't really have much of an intention of going through that battle again. If I have to wait a bit to get one, then so be it.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    Now that we are only a few months from the probable launch who is planning on picking up a Wii U? I am getting it on launch day for Mario Bros. abd Pikmin 3 alone but also looking forward to Zombi U (despite the stupid name).
    I'm not getting one until Nintendo proves it is not going to be a dud like the Wii and Gamecube and there needs to be a new Zelda and Donkey Kong Country. I mean, I bought both systems at launch, I have 9 Wii games in total and 11 Gamecube games. As for the New Mario Bros U, I just replayed Mario World last week instead of getting the new 3DS one, so I am good at the moment. Why pay $40 (and then whatever the cost of the Wii U and Mario game will be) when I can play the same game for free, just with lesser graphics?

Also, they did absolutely nothing at E3 this year to even get me to want one. Their conference was down right boring.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
    the wii u game i'm most looking forward to is lego city undercover. if the 3DS version isn't too watered down, i may just go with that. same goes for my #2 wii u game, scribblenauts unlimited. the only wii u exclusive that i'm real excited about is zombi u. this isn't a knock on the console though. the first year or so of any console is normally kinda bland to me.
    Yes I agree the LEGO game looks like a blast. The added voice acting seems like it will make it even more hilarious than previous LEGO games. Not a launch title for me but I will definitely pick it up at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I'm not getting one until Nintendo proves it is not going to be a dud like the Wii and Gamecube and there needs to be a new Zelda and Donkey Kong Country. I mean, I bought both systems at launch, I have 9 Wii games in total and 11 Gamecube games. As for the New Mario Bros U, I just replayed Mario World last week instead of getting the new 3DS one, so I am good at the moment. Why pay $40 (and then whatever the cost of the Wii U and Mario game will be) when I can play the same game for free, just with lesser graphics?

Also, they did absolutely nothing at E3 this year to even get me to want one. Their conference was down right boring.
    Dud is in the eye of the beholder. I have 91 Wii games (not counting my downloads) and 84 GameCube games and I play them both on a regular basis. I'm playing The Last Story right now and LOVING it!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Just now seeing this thread and article.

I haven't gamed in yeeeeeeearrrrrrrrrrrrs and I find this interesting. I totally forgot about the wii being replaced.

I am curious about the price.

It kept being refered to as a tablet controller. what? is this thing like a copier/fax/printer? Where do the game cartridges go? Is there game cartridges?

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    So what are you saying? are you saying the Wii U would win in a game of jepordy?

Quote Originally Posted by wallbie View Post
    I guess now is the time to buy Nintendo stock so you can sell out of it when the Wii U hits its prime just before it starts dropping off again.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1174333p1.html
    ticker symble is NTDOY. as I'm typing this the share price is $14.25