Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo's Wii U (Project Cafe)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I just looked up some info on this. Apparently the difference between the Basic and Deluxe versions is that the basic will have 8GB of memory while the Deluxe will have 32GB. Those are both very low amounts of memory, and I can see that filling up fast, especially since the system can apparently be used as a DVR. Is there any other difference between the two models besides that?

I at least hope that the small amount of memory means that Nintendo won't be putting much focus on digital distribution of games and content.
    No the small size is because Nintendo did not want to tie their purchase price to drive space which is in constant flux

The Wii U can have a 3TB attched to it out of the box so they are just providing the min to get you started
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

The Wii U looks pretty fun, I only wish there was more 3rd party support for the launch. I'm surprised Capcom didn't decide to port a plethora of their games to the system. Since I still haven't played Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 5, Marvel vs Capcom 3, those are all games I would have gladly purchased on the Wii U at launch were they offered.

And then there's other games I would also play on the Wii U were they offered, Mortal Kombat, the next NHL game, the latest Transformers game and even the upcoming Deadpool game. Alas, it looks like if I want to play those games, I'll finally have to get an X-Box 360.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    The Wii U looks pretty fun, I only wish there was more 3rd party support for the launch. I'm surprised Capcom didn't decide to port a plethora of their games to the system. Since I still haven't played Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 5, Marvel vs Capcom 3, those are all games I would have gladly purchased on the Wii U at launch were they offered.

And then there's other games I would also play on the Wii U were they offered, Mortal Kombat, the next NHL game, the latest Transformers game and even the upcoming Deadpool game. Alas, it looks like if I want to play those games, I'll finally have to get an X-Box 360.
    There is more 3rd party support for the Wii U at launch then at any other time since the SNES came out, they are going to get a bunch of 3rd party games by March including the newest Monster Hunter, the new Call of Duty, etc
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Oh, I'm not saying there's no support whatsoever, only that the 3rd party games that I have an interest in haven't been announced for the Wii U yet. What can I say? Having never owned a non Nintendo console, many of the 3rd party franchises currently being offered, I have no interest in. Everything I'm interested in is either a franchise that's been on a Nintendo console before, or it includes characters from franchises that I care about. I really would love to play as Grimlock on the Wii U...
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Oh, I'm not saying there's no support whatsoever, only that the 3rd party games that I have an interest in haven't been announced for the Wii U yet. What can I say? Having never owned a non Nintendo console, many of the 3rd party franchises currently being offered, I have no interest in. Everything I'm interested in is either a franchise that's been on a Nintendo console before, or it includes characters from franchises that I care about. I really would love to play as Grimlock on the Wii U...
    Yeah I agree, I was just saying that for a Nintendo console the lineup is pretty good

Its baby steps when you go from getting barely any at launch the last 2 console cycles

Like I said on E3 discussion here on org.

They move a little harder this one, beside if the new Playstation or X box consoles announce, this platform will generally fallback into 7th generation.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Like I said on E3 discussion here on org.

They move a little harder this one, beside if the new Playstation or X box consoles announce, this platform will generally fallback into 7th generation.
    Only the next Xbox will truly be a next-gen machine, the PS3 cost Sony so much money they will never recoup that they have to basically pull a Wii U and use most of the old machine's peripherals and design in a new console.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I still don't think they need a new PS for at least another 5 years.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I still don't think they need a new PS for at least another 5 years.
    That is why I said they will probably just repackage the one they have, maybe add a new video card or upgrade the internal memory for show. But the current PS3 is still a beast, Sony just handled the console wrong from start to finish as far as pricing. The line the CEO gave about it being $599 so just get a 2nd job to pay for it is going to haunt them for years.

Oh didn't say I got mine ordered from my local gamestop, got the deluxe version.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I've pre-ordered the Deluxe one myself, its good value for money for what we are getting and the "gimmick" is a useful one, moving the game to the pad when the missus wants to watch TV sounds like only a good thing to me
    And nintendo have really tried this time, 3RD party support is high, they've got great features like Nintendo TVii and the prices is far lower than anyone actually thought

As for the next xbox or playstation, people are expecting too much, they may be more powerful, but not by a lot at all, were in a recession, the industry is struggling and both MS and Sony couldn't afford the development costs to make the same sort of technological leap we saw between ps2>ps3 generation.
    The next Xbox/Ps will have the same sort of GPGPU that the WiiU has but maybe slightly more powerful, they'll have the same RAM of 2GB and maybe a slightly faster CPU, although i doubt they will have a seperate sound chip like the WiiU has so that will be covered elsewhere

As I recall they also stated a bit early on they wanted this generation to last a bit longer.

Looks like for now most of the online preorders are already gone, the only one left is the basic at gamestop.
    Last edited by wyldman11; September 15, 2012 at 12:55pm.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I just looked up some info on this. Apparently the difference between the Basic and Deluxe versions is that the basic will have 8GB of memory while the Deluxe will have 32GB. Those are both very low amounts of memory, and I can see that filling up fast, especially since the system can apparently be used as a DVR. Is there any other difference between the two models besides that?

I at least hope that the small amount of memory means that Nintendo won't be putting much focus on digital distribution of games and content.
    For the record you can not use the Wii U as a DVR. It is just able to pull existing DVR content up as a viewing choice. As for the memory I'm all for Nintendo letting the consumer choose their size. I would not want to have to pay for 100GB if I didn't want and/or need it. Anyone who wants to expand the memory of their system has a plethora of options to do so. Concerning the digital distribution front I would wager that Nintendo will be aggressively pushing to make that a standard in the near future.

At any rate I pre-ordered a Deluxe package on Saturday and I can't wait to get my hands on some Mario Bros. and ZombiU action!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

The CEO really said that about getting a second Job? That's messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    That is why I said they will probably just repackage the one they have, maybe add a new video card or upgrade the internal memory for show. But the current PS3 is still a beast, Sony just handled the console wrong from start to finish as far as pricing. The line the CEO gave about it being $599 so just get a 2nd job to pay for it is going to haunt them for years.
    Do NOT Sell to DenmanDemons unless your figures are Dead Mint Condition

References:
    THEGODBEAST tylerm23 jjforbus fattysteve
    scare-flow WOO Legend Okro Rachael ckhtiger
    Luigispice granbeetle Machanikal Convoy
    Capt_Piett Stshammgod
    Robb Corvus Commmander

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Miro View Post
    The CEO really said that about getting a second Job? That's messed up.
    Yup Summer 2005
    During a recent interview with Japanese economic website Toyo Keizai, ever-charming Ken Kutaragi had this to say about Sony's goal for the PS3: "for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Thus he is no longer CEO. Kaz Hirai is now in charge.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Got my black deluxe Wii U preordered yesterday!
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Heroic Warrior

Well it's finally here! Anyone who is interested in beefing up their friends list send me a PM. None of my real world friends got a Wii U
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I went out yesterday just to see if I could find a Wii U. Toys R Us had the basic system in stock, but I decided to wait until I could find the Deluxe. So it may be a while before I get one, since I assume after this weekend these won't be anywhere until after Christmas sometime.

That's ok. I feel like I don't have any time for video games these days.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I went out yesterday just to see if I could find a Wii U. Toys R Us had the basic system in stock, but I decided to wait until I could find the Deluxe. So it may be a while before I get one, since I assume after this weekend these won't be anywhere until after Christmas sometime.

That's ok. I feel like I don't have any time for video games these days.
    You should pre-ordered the deluxe Dan. It ain't a stock anymore on Black Friday.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Interested in hearing from some folks who grabbed one of these. I've always been a Nintendo fan and even preordered my Wii so that I got one on launch day. Still, nothing about the WiiU does anything for me. None of the games seem overly appealing, the features seem rather gimmicky, and I'm just not impressed by technical aspects of the system for being a brand new console. Usually Nintendo has one killer game that I just can't live without but at this point, I can't identify one.

Maybe I just feel burned by the Wii? Had one since launch day and can only think of a handful of games that I ever really wanted to play. The only reason I still have my Wii is because I gave my Gamecube to my brother-in-law. Really want to hear some opinions from folks who are playing the Wii U right now.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Maybe I just feel burned by the Wii? Had one since launch day and can only think of a handful of games that I ever really wanted to play. The only reason I still have my Wii is because I gave my Gamecube to my brother-in-law. Really want to hear some opinions from folks who are playing the Wii U right now.
    You are missing out, Nintendoland is great. The mini games are an amazing use of the license and if you have friends they are very fun.

The upside to this is since its similar in specs to the 360 and PS3 then it will at least get some decent 3rd party support which is what the Wii had a major lacking of. But ultimately its up to the Devs to find a use for the tablet, iOS and Android proved some amazing games can be made for touchscreens.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    You are missing out, Nintendoland is great. The mini games are an amazing use of the license and if you have friends they are very fun.

The upside to this is since its similar in specs to the 360 and PS3 then it will at least get some decent 3rd party support which is what the Wii had a major lacking of. But ultimately its up to the Devs to find a use for the tablet, iOS and Android proved some amazing games can be made for touchscreens.
    It is funny that Nintendo says they feel mobile games like iOS and Droid 0.99 games cheapen gaming, yet they crank out tons of 40-60 dollar titles bloated with mini-games. (I was never a huge fan of the minigame thing) Sorry Nintendo's arguement has kettle and pot all over it. I never finished the last Zelda because, well it was just boring compared to the previous titles, and I hated the motion controls, which are more of a novel around my house than a standard. After buying almost every Nintendo system to date except the 3DS, this will be passed until there is a significant library I care to play. Also, the fact that your online account is tied to ONE console, so if something happens, oh well. Nintendo is late to the online party, they are stubborn on releasing product to iOS and Android markets. I wouldn't think twice about dropping 20 bucks on Mario Cart, LoZ or Mario 3 for the iOS devices.

The specs stats are embarrassing, it is suppose to be a next-gen system, yet it is just up to par with aging systems both of which are slated to see replacements next fall. That won't get 3rd party people on board when they have to back step to port multiplatform games. Which is were MOST 3rd party developers opperate.
    Moderately Geeky: The Podcast
    Available on Podbead, iTunes, and Stitcher smart radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Southzen View Post
    The specs stats are embarrassing, it is suppose to be a next-gen system, yet it is just up to par with aging systems both of which are slated to see replacements next fall. That won't get 3rd party people on board when they have to back step to port multiplatform games. Which is were MOST 3rd party developers opperate.
    What are you going to replace the PS3 with, devs have not even touched the capability of that system and nobody buys the games for it. If not the 360 library the PS3 gets as ports Sony would be in serious trouble.

I doubt the next 360 will be anything major either, probably a CPU and GPU upgrade but MS wants to make it a streaming media center that just happens to play games.

Anyone expecting some monster HD system in the next-gen is going to be sorely disappointed I think. Nintendo has always been behind in hardware, the Wii was not a grand leap from the Gamecube for example. I think about the only time they did a huge leap was the Virtual Boy and that failed miserably

It will be interesting to see if the tablet goes over well, unlike the motion controls which Nintendo pioneered the tablet/touchscreen is really Apple's domain at this point.