Thread: Which Came First: He-Man's Power Sword or Blackstar's PowerStar?

Which Came First: He-Man's Power Sword or Blackstar's PowerStar?

While reading this thread about the pre-Filimation stories including the mini-comics, I was reminded of how, in both the toy line and the pre-Filmation stories, the Power Sword exists in two halves -- one wielded by He-Man, the other by Skeletor.

Filmation's Blackstar preceded its He-Man and the Masters of the Universe series. A major source of conflict in Blackstar was the battle for the "PowerStar" -- a device which had been split into Blackstar's Star Sword and the Overlord's Power Sword.

Is it possible that one story influenced the other? If so, then which came first? The Blackstar TV series predates the He-Man TV series, but the notion of the Power Sword of Eternia being split also predates the He-Man TV series.

Blackstar debuted in 1981.
    MOTU toyline in 1982.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    MOTU toyline in 1982.
    yep! and also there is an episode of motu where there is a statue of Blackstar in the background i forget which one but i've seen it,so im going say the Starsword came first.

Actually, MOTU hit stores just after halloween in 1981. I know because I had the Castle Grayskull and the first four figs that Christmas. I was a lucky boy!
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Quote Originally Posted by mekanek9 View Post
    yep! and also there is an episode of motu where there is a statue of Blackstar in the background i forget which one but i've seen it,so im going say the Starsword came first.
    That`s because Filmation was so cheap they used Blackstar stock footage for MOTU

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    That`s because Filmation was so cheap they used Blackstar stock footage for MOTU
    Um, no.

In a pile of cluttered random treasures/relics in one of the temples there is a small, jade statue of Blackstar holding his sword. It was put there INTENTIONALLY as a homage to Blackstar.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Widget
    lol! you know what,i believe that! it would not surprise me.

Oooooh yeees, they used the statue of Blackstar countless of times indeed.

Last edited by Grimbot; September 26, 2009 at 06:32pm.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    Um, no.

In a pile of cluttered random treasures/relics in one of the temples there is a small, jade statue of Blackstar holding his sword. It was put there INTENTIONALLY as a homage to Blackstar.
    Exactly! It was a nice nod to Blackstar.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

I`m positive that Lou Scheimer said in the dvd extra`s that they used background art from Blackstar and few other shows to cut production costs for the MOTU toon. I wasn`t talking about the statue

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    MOTU toyline in 1982.
    Indeed, that's why the two halves of the sword aspect was scrapped for the MOTU toon, since Blackstar was still in re-runs when MOTU debutted.

So no doubt for the toon, as for the mini-comics it's likely that both the Blackstar show and the MOTU mini-comics (and toys) where devellopped at the same time and only happened to end up with a similar concept.

After all both digs in the sword and sorcery / sword and planet fashion of the time.
    - Dr Bo.
    Man of Kitsch, Robot and Glamour. And some barbarians hero, too.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.

I always thought the half power swords were "stolen" from Blackstar as is was older, but yep, it might also just be a coincidence.

Widget
    This is the original production artwork of the Blackstar statue. The statue and other treasure along with the brick detail, debris and stones are on the cell and the coloring of the wall and ground as well as the shadows of the treasure is painted on the background.

I would have loved a crossover. Both Marlena and Blackstar were from Earth. Granted John was from the future, but the blackhole could have also sent him back in time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also, in the storyboards for "The Return of Orko's Uncle" Blackstar's Star Sword appears!

Actually, it has nothing to do with being cheap...

Filmation never reused Blackstar background artwork - The world (and style of background painting) was very different...

However, in the episode "The Remedy" storyboard artist Michael Swanigan wanted to pay homage to previous Filmation series - As a result there are numerous moments with He-Man performing flips and moves from the Tarzan series, as well as the appearance of Warlock from Blackstar as a Takdryl... - See HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by zartan View Post
    I would have loved a crossover. Both Marlena and Blackstar were from Earth. Granted John was from the future, but the blackhole could have also sent him back in time.
    Marlena is also from the future.

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar
    MOTUC Blackstar NOW!
    Thanks Mangs.
    -Buzz out
    www.hyveofvillainy.com - Evil Action Figures

My ORG FEEDBACK is here.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    Also, in the storyboards for "The Return of Orko's Uncle" Blackstar's Star Sword appears!
    Would LOVE a screen cap of that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zartan View Post
    Would LOVE a screen cap of that!!!
    It will DEFINITELY appear in my soon-to-be-published "Art of the Filmation storyboard" book...

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    Blackstar would be a great addition to motuc in 2016. The series has some chracters that would make great figures and bring in new fans. And, we could find out what happened with Blackstarr, Overlord and all of it.
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

Blackstarr was like the mother and Conan was like the father to He-man

The Blackstarr world had a lot of similarities to the masters of the universe

I don't know if the Blackstar cartoon (1981) influenced Mattel to hire Filmation to create the early animated toy commercial (1982)...

I don't know if Filmation canceled the Blackstar second season (1982) to start MOTU 65 episodes first season (1983)....

James, doesn't this count as reusing? http://bustatoons.blogspot.com/2010/...in-he-man.html
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.