Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Power and The Honor Foundation - Original MOTU Art Preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    I am definitely in for one and just sent my donation.

One question - does this volume focus entirely on never-before-seen images or are there going to be some high quality pictures of box art paintings or cardback paintings similar to the book Mattel released at SDCC a couple years ago? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and those are reserved for future volumes. Either way I'm very excited for this to come out.
    Thank you for your donation.

This volume focuses mainly on concept artwork and documentation from as early as 1979! The concept artwork includes character, vehicle, and playset designs. There is no box art or card back artwork in this volume.

Thanks for answering my question. I'm still very excited that something like this will be available. Like others, I was very disappointed that the Mattel book was limited to SDCC. I look forward to future volumes of Masters artwork. Hopefully this is a success for the foundation.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ByThePowerOf... View Post
    How many volumes do you plan on releasing? I noticed this was marked as volume 1.
    Our future volumes depend on what our supporters want. We currently have some great projects in the works. Check out a small sample of some Filmation images on our website.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    It's all about money... yaaaay...
    Think for just a second how much time and effort has and will be put forth by these guys to make this a reality. They deserve reimbursement! I for one am more than happy to donate 55 for a book I will look at and enjoy for many years to come, able to enjoy true MOTU artwork and characters that many fans have never seen before! I think its gonna be super.

The catalog sounds awesome! I just sent my donation...

I just donated the $55.

For a 160-page art book, that is FINE.

Remember the "Art Book" Mattel sold us? It was $50 (if I remember correctly), and far shorter than 160 pages.

Plus, it was full of images we'd seen already (save for maybe 4 or 5 things).

I cannot wait to receive Volume 1!!!

As for what I might want to see in the future:

-POP toy designs
    -Filmation MOTU/POP stuff... as well as stuff, if you have it, from the He-Ro series Lou Scheimer proposed (not He-Ro of Preternia... He-Ro (Adora & Sea Hawk's son)
    -MYP stuff that never made it to the screen
    -200X toy designs
    -Merchandising art/designs... or maybe even a picture catalog of all the random merchandise
    Last edited by bcrduke; June 23, 2011 at 02:40am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I donated my $55. When can I expect this to ship to South Africa?
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    I donated my $55. When can I expect this to ship to South Africa?
    This is the best answer I can find:

The Catalog will be available first at Power-Con 2011, and will be shipping shortly after the convention in September 2011!
    http://powerandhonor.org/reserve-catalog-vol-1/
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Personally I don't see anything wrong with this
    I do understand some people perplexity, but, just as my personal point of view, I see things this way:
    a catalog of art is probably the best way to get the art in the hands of fans and it's absoltutely neede to have something to show to other organizations that may want to do exhibitons etc.
    a bunch of low-rez pictures on a website woulnd't do it for me and can be stolen too easy. I had lenghty conversations with the Foundation about this, and me, the first supporter of online archives, was really against just posting them online, at least at first.

I think that art deserves better, much better, and I also think fans deserve better quality and artists more justice for their work.
    I collect movie artbooks, and there is nothing like holding a properly organized and nicely printed physical object in your hands.
    The only problem is that such things cost money to produce. So, I think it's totally understandable that the Foundation needs to at least cover costs

Also, the founds from the donation can be then used to purchase more art.
    One could say: to purchase more art that will end in the Foundation vault who is privately owned.
    Yeah, people can stop there if they want, but another point of view could be that the donations can be used to to purchase more art, that will eventually end up shared in more catalogs and exhibitions, that rise more money that can be used again to buy more art and so on in and on

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    This is the best answer I can find:

"The Catalog will be available first at Power-Con 2011, and will be shipping shortly after the convention in September 2011!"
    Yup, it's the Foundation's post too: it'll begin shipping in September.
    Last edited by Emiliano; June 23, 2011 at 04:40am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I also hope you guys can find lots of NA, PoP and 200X stuff. I want to see anything related to the Star Sisters! Their cardbacks, mini-comic, playset, etc.
    A couple days back I inquired about POP-related concept artwork on their Facebook page, and this is the response I got:

Jim: most of the toy artwork we have comes from former Mattel's employee who worked on the MOTU brand, so from the Boys Toys department. As you may know, She-Ra wasn't handled by Boys Toys, and we have yet to find any POP related material by Mattel.
    But POP was mostly conceptualized by Filmation, so all the preliminary work on their designs was done there, at least for the first wave.
    You probably heard Emiliano talking about that materials, and guess who has got it?
    For late waves, we hope to be be able tro track down other art from Mattel. We do have one POP female concept that was developed originally for MOTU.
    I'm sure you can guess who she is
    If either The Power and Honor Foundation or Toy Masters (the folks doing the documentary) were able to track down any material on the Star Sisters, I would be in hysterics and might need prompt medical attention.

Emiliano, are you planning to contribute your preliminary Filmation POP artwork to the foundation, or at least make it available for a future volume, or is Mattel still against you sharing this? I believe we already got to see a few pieces from the POP series Bible. It comes from the same source, right?

Annnnyhoow. This is already blowing the SDCC Artbook out of the water, so that's heading straight for the bin as soon as this 160-page hardcover edition arrives...lmao...just joking.

LOL @ fans having way more content to share than Mattel.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Emiliano, are you planning to contribute your preliminary Filmation POP artwork to the foundation, or at least make it available for a future volume, or is Mattel still against you sharing this? I believe we already got to see a few pieces from the POP series Bible. It comes from the same source, right?
    Absolutely, we've already secured all that stuff. It was all part of a collaborative effort between a few collectors that bought a large lot of Filmation art just for the purpose of archiving and sharing, and it's part of the Foundation collection now.

Jim: that is not even in question
    All I can contribute to the Foundation will be shared, no doubt.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Will the pictures in the book come with the giant watermarks?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Will the pictures in the book come with the giant watermarks?
    Of course not
    We promised that (before we post them: the sample pages we will show online will have the watermark, but not the actual pages)
    Last edited by PowerAndHonor; June 23, 2011 at 08:22am.

Ok, donation made!
    Last edited by JimPansen; June 23, 2011 at 09:03am.

Apparently a lot of people have never donated to a non-profit before, most of the time you get a shirt or poster (something small) at best

Its really simple if you don't want to donate then don't, but I trust the people behind this foundation who have been around the HE world for a VERY long time to do what is best with the money
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    Donation made!
    I can't say enough about how great of an idea this foundation is. Consider the word spread!

Is this 80's only or will NA and 200x be featured as well? (in other volumes perhaps)
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Is this 80's only or will NA and 200x be featured as well? (in other volumes perhaps)
    This first catalog strictly includes materials from the original toy line and New Adventures (plus 3 pieces that can be considered precursors to MOTU).
    A lot of what we'll be able to share in the future also depends on what we'll be able to track down, but rest assured that anything we can find will be included in future catalogs or Volume One's updates

Donation made!

I am glad to read that New Adventures materials will also be featured in the first catalog.
    I can't wait to see all the great stuff you guys have put your hands on over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerAndHonor View Post
    Our future volumes depend on what our supporters want.
    I am very interested in a volume dedicated to vintage box art, card back illustrations and magazine/promotional posters, but I don't know how much of that is available to the foundation. Even if it has some of the same content as the Mattel SDCC book, I wouldn't mind because a lot of people were not able to get that.

Heroic Warrior andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it's Avatar
    I knew that Josh Van Pelt was behind this, and I want to vouch for him absolutely!
    He is not only one of the greatest he-man collector.
    I dealt with him in the past and he has great qualities of honesty and generousity. He is not greedy at all, and I totally trust in him.

My first ebay purchase was made from him! And I dealt with him over and over, and he helped me to make my collection bigger!

I read some complaint about the book price, but this is really NOT THE CASE to express disagreement!
    Please think! Honestly 55 dollars for a 160 color pages book INCLUDING worldwide shipment is NOTHING! It is really a small donation!

Moreover the stuff he has got is AWESOME. I can tell since I was lucky enough to have a little look to some exclusive concept art. Having purchased a Tytus prototype (totally awesome) form him he included some exclusive concept art of Tytus and Megator for free, under a promise of a non disclosure agreement that I will of course keep up.
    WoW! The concept art reveals MUCH on the idea that generated Megator and with the connection he may have with the evil warriors.

I wish toyguru could see this (and more) so this would help him inspiring great BIOS, more faithful to the real origin of our characthers!

Thanks Josh for coming up with this foundation! Thanks a lot for all your work! I wish to know the other people that are behind this project Power and Honor to thank them as well!
    You guys will make happy hundrends or thousands of MOTU-POP-NA fan worldwide.
    Me first!
    THANKS!
    Sincerely!

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Of course I am interested in buying the book. I was wondering if there's a chance the book might be on sale at the SDCC or at the Power Con as I will be attending both and I hate waiting on shipping. I would also love to flip through the book too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    Of course I am interested in buying the book. I was wondering if there's a chance the book might be on sale at the SDCC or at the Power Con as I will be attending both and I hate waiting on shipping. I would also love to flip through the book too!
    Yes, as reported in the news, donors can pick the catalog up at Power-Con first
    Since some of us will be in San Diego, we may have a few sample pages to show, but it won't be ready until September.
    You'll have to track us down in SD though, as we won't have a table.
    But we'll probably be at the He-Man.org get together.

Just as a note, so far all the art purchased has been founded by the members of the Foundation, with the specific goal of finding a way to share it with the fans

We'd also like to tuch upon the subject of the quality of the art itself, that of course can be very subjective.

The art we're presenting right now is concept art, not boxart. It isn't supposed to be really pretty or refined, but to convey the idea for a toy to the company managment and then give sculptors and model makers information on how to create a figure or an accessory.

We feel that the historical value of the art we collected so far goes far beyond the objective quality of the art itself. That said, we still think artists like Mark Taylor, Ted Mayer and Ed Watts created some incredible pieces

We'll also show some sample pages very soon, we want to make sure they are perfect!

Hope there are a lot of elucidations from Mark Taylor, Ted Mayer and Ed Watts in the book, sounds awesome!