Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Power and The Honor Foundation - Original MOTU Art Preservation

awesome news

would be great if they make a show at power-con
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

They are legit. They asked me for some historical info on stuff a while back. From what I gather, it's some hardcore collectors who are looking to preserve a whole bunch of awesome artwork. Sorta like a museum archive or the like.

And they will be at Power-Con. They are loaning us a lot of kick butt art to put on display for people to see.
    They are going to have a table with info about their foundation.

Here is a pic of our table at UltraCon 2011!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PowerAndHonor; June 14, 2011 at 01:22pm.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerAndHonor View Post
    Here is a pic of our table at UltraCon 2011!

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...1&d=1308070439
    Amazing looking stuff! That framed artwork and the giant he-man prototype look great!

Hope to see 'em in biger pics soon!

Thanks, guys

That art in the frame is amazing!!
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

As one of the founders (and current director) of The Power and The Honor Foundation, I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Josh Van Pelt (he-man.org screen name Josh Van Pelt, LOL) and you may know me from The Cafe Wha?

Like many other He-Man collectors out there, I have very fond memories of growing up amongst the battles between He-Man and Skeletor. By the time I was in high school, most of my original childhood He-Man figures had disappeared and I wanted to regain my lost collection. I began by slowly picking up figures for 25 to 50 cents at yard sales and flea-markets over 15 years ago. About a year went by before I was able to amass about 60 different figures. I was hooked.

Over the years, I have come across hundreds of items I never knew existed. I began finding (with the help of many other collectors) more and more figure variations, foreign released figures, and other collectibles like cake pans, fabric, magazines, and jewelry. I found that collecting is a long, expensive, time consuming process.

In 2005, I was fortunate to meet Roger Sweet. In addition to helping create and design the Masters of the Universe, he also managed the MOTU brand for a time at Mattel. After writing his book, Mastering the Universe, he decided it was time to part with his collection of original artwork and prototypes. Although I did not purchase the collection immediately, we stayed in touch and eventually I was able to acquire the collection.

Since then, I have continued to track down and collect many other pieces of artwork and documents related to the history of MOTU. Although I was able to preserve these pieces, I did not have the time or resources to properly catalog, archive, and share them with other MOTU fans.

This is where the idea of the foundation arose. I was talking with a few fellow MOTU collectors and told them about my regret of never doing anything with the artwork and was actually thinking about selling them. I'm not sure who came up with the idea, but at some point someone suggested finding a permanent home for the artwork, such as a foundation. This was a new concept to me as I would love to see the collection stay together.

Over the next few years, we tossed around a few ideas and projects came and went. Finally, with the generous help of a few close friends, we were able to scan and digitally restore hundreds of pieces of artwork from our collections as well as some pieces shared by creators and artists from the brand. This process took much longer and cost much more than we could have ever imagined.

The next step was deciding how to share them with the public while ensuring their protection and preservation in a permanent home. The idea was to create a non-profit art preservation foundation that would acquire artwork from original artists and collectors alike, not just the artwork we had already archived. Once secured, the pieces would be archived, preserved, and shared with fans.

Which leads us to today. The Foundation is a legitimate non-profit foundation that will eventually have its 501(c)3 tax-deductible charity status. It is complete with a board of directors (individuals who have been involved with MOTU for years) and only exists because of the time and effort these individuals have given for the cause.

The Foundation is becoming its own entity, with its own collection that will hopefully survive in perpetuity. The goal is for the Foundation to archive and preserve as much of the history of MOTU as possible.

The other board members and contributors will become more vocal as our Foundation grows. We are still in our infancy but are working to make this Foundation as strong and lasting as possible.

We have a lot of exciting ways of sharing with fans and I hope that you will be patient.

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them as best as I can either here on the forum or directly at josh@powerandhonor.org

Thank you,

Joshua Van Pelt

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I am very excited for this! LOVE the art!

Thanks for posting, Josh! Looking forward to seeing more, and to checking out the table at Power-Con!

I'll have my camera out!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

That is some great news.

For me, the colorful, exciting artwork was always a very big part of the magic as a whole. Seeing al those different MOTU toy boxes lined up in the store with al those great pictures on them was quite an impressive sight as a little kid and still is up until now.

Is there any chance some of the artwork will be available for purchase in the form of prints or posters or do all rights remain with Mattel??

Anyways, a great initiative....I applaud you sir.

I was wondering who the brains were behind this project... glad to know it's in capable hands!

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    Got a question Josh .
    can anyone join the foundation ?
    do you have to Art to join ?

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I was wondering who the brains were behind this project... glad to know it's in capable hands!
    Yeah it is comforting knowing one of the main people behind it is a long time orger
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
    Got a question Josh .
    can anyone join the foundation ?
    do you have to Art to join ?
    We currently aren't planning any sort of memberships but we are always open to new ideas. We will offer many opportunities in the near future for fans to contribute their time, money, and resources to help the Foundation be the best it can be.

Right now the biggest help we need is getting the word out there. Share with friends and contacts whenever possible!

Has He-Man.org known about this foundation for some time? I totally remember Josh's rare Gygor art contribution from 2 years ago, with the promise of one day getting to feast our eyes on never-before-seen alternate versions of him. Was that intended to be a Foundation reveal or something specifically for this site?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Has He-Man.org known about this foundation for some time? I totally remember Josh's rare Gygor art contribution from 2 years ago, with the promise of one day getting to feast our eyes on never-before-seen alternate versions of him. Was that intended to be a Foundation reveal or something specifically for this site?
    I did indeed share the Gygor photograph with the he-man.org but that was a separate project from the Foundation. Many people knew about the Roger Sweet collection, I even did the Canadian television show FANatical that also featured the Four Horsemen that showed a few shots of the artwork. The Foundation is our way of archiving (and ideally preserving) the artwork any collector, artist or designer wants to share.

I did indeed share the Gygor photograph with the he-man.org but that was a separate project from the Foundation. Many people knew about the Roger Sweet collection, I even did the Canadian television show FANatical that also featured the Four Horsemen that showed a few shots of the artwork. The Foundation is our way of archiving (and ideally preserving) the artwork any collector, artist or designer wants to share.
    You mean, the alternate Gygor artwork was shown on FANatical? It been some time since I've seen that episode, so my memory is hazy. I was able to watch it at one time online, but it's probably long gone by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    You mean, the alternate Gygor artwork was shown on FANatical? It been some time since I've seen that episode, so my memory is hazy. I was able to watch it at one time online, but it's probably long gone by now.
    I haven't watched it in ages either. I really don't remember what was shown on camera but it was all there!

We currently aren't planning any sort of memberships but we are always open to new ideas. We will offer many opportunities in the near future for fans to contribute their time, money, and resources to help the Foundation be the best it can be.

Right now the biggest help we need is getting the word out there. Share with friends and contacts whenever possible!

Forgive my skepticism, as once again I would like to reiterate that I believe this is a good idea, but if there is no way to join this foundation, and we can only work and donate for its success. Isn't that like using the community to build your own personal art collection? Sure it will be "Foundation"owned, but isn't that two guys? Also, how much could there possibly be to offer that Mattel wouldn't have in its own personal archives?

Anyway, good luck on collecting and preserving. I will watch with a raised eyebrow.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    It was made pretty clear that it's a non-profit and that the artwork is being preserved so that all fans can enjoy it. If you donate to any not-for-profit art gallery/organization, it isn't like the curators are accepting donations for personal gain. Josh is a long-time, respected member of the Org community and I'm certain he and the other people involved have nothing but the best of intentions here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Forgive my skepticism, as once again I would like to reiterate that I believe this is a good idea, but if there is no way to join this foundation, and we can only work and donate for its success. Isn't that like using the community to build your own personal art collection? Sure it will be "Foundation"owned, but isn't that two guys? Also, how much could there possibly be to offer that Mattel wouldn't have in its own personal archives?

Anyway, good luck on collecting and preserving. I will watch with a raised eyebrow.

Forgive my skepticism, as once again I would like to reiterate that I believe this is a good idea, but if there is no way to join this foundation, and we can only work and donate for its success. Isn't that like using the community to build your own personal art collection? Sure it will be "Foundation"owned, but isn't that two guys?
    The Foundation has two main goals:
    -to preserve the artwork
    -and to share the artwork.
    Finding a proper way to share the art and the information has always been what pushed us to create the Foundation in first place. Without it, this art would probably remain unseen, or at best, just shared on a website. We have better plans and all of the members involved share the same goal. You just have to be patient, it took a lot of work to get ready for the announcements will do in the following weeks. Later on will have more stories to tell about how all this came to be

By the way, there are more than 2 people in the Foundation, and this is also why you may notice a different language in our posts: it isn't always Josh posting. When it's needed, the others members jump in and answer fellow collector's questions

Also, how much could there possibly be to offer that Mattel wouldn't have in its own personal archives?
    Well.... A LOT more.
    All Mattel has went into the book they sold at San Diego Comic Con a couple of years ago. Mattel has almost nothing in its archive, about 5% or less of of what we have. Mattel didn't preserve the artwork. Only a few artists and designers, like Roger Sweet, were able to save some of this art before it got lost or destroyed. So basically, the Foundation isn't just the best chance to take a look at this artwork, but it's also our only chance.

Also, we don't archive only Mattel's artwork, but everything from MOTU, including a lot of Filmation never seen before art

We understand the concern, we just revealed our own existance, we haven't revealed how we plan to share the artwork yet. Just give us some time
    Last edited by PowerAndHonor; June 16, 2011 at 11:48am.

Well I certainly appreciate your willingness to clarify. I am certainly not trying to come across as a jerk or anything. As I said, it is a good idea. But as someone who is always skeptical, I could not help myself from asking a few questions. I guess I will wait and see what happens.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Josh Van Pelt. You probably don't remember me, but your Cafe Wha? restored a lot of my vintage collection and filled in a lot of gaps for me. I am ever grateful for dedicated fans like you to help out guys like me.

This is a decent guy and I can vouch that this guy is a dedicated MOTU fan. I'm so glad your the director of this and I thank you for what your doing.
    Last edited by bskcase; June 16, 2011 at 12:01am.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Also, how much could there possibly be to offer that Mattel wouldn't have in its own personal archives?
    This is something that I always felt was very unclear issue to begin with. What does Mattel have. We've witnessed how Mattel has reached out to fans to get collections to photograph, and have benefitted from fans contributing buried treasures (Gygor photo), that Mattel simply wasn't aware of.

Yet many fans are hopeful and optimistic, that Mattel has a vault where they would preserve original art from mini-comics (most of it is at the hands of collectors or possibly couple artists themselves), figure-molds (for commemorative figures, Mattel had to buy figures to produce them, hence Trap-Jaw is missing accessory, because Mattel didn't acquire a complete figure, etc), concept arts/sketches (this possibly is what they included in the MOTU Artbook Vol1) and while their vault is not empty, experiences has shown that fans hope for them to have more, than what they actually have..

Jukka is absolutely right.
    Toyguru confirmed that to me: they don't have much else of what was shown in their MOTU artbook.
    True or not, they claim their vault is pretty much empty.
    All I know are the stories I heard from former employees, where their art got trashed after they left the company.
    And the simple fact that Toyguru asked me to provide vintage concept art and other reference they don't have.
    Last edited by Emiliano; June 16, 2011 at 04:12am.

This is amazingly awesome! Thank you, Josh and Co.!
    The holding, the touching. Vaal has forbidden this.
    Five Year Mission
    Eisenhower Field Day

For those that hasn't checked our site yet, here is another image from our sample galleries: a Grizzlor concept by Curtis Cim. Not from Mattel. From Filmation