Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The Power and The Honor Foundation - Original MOTU Art Preservation

Sent my donation yesterday! I'm very excited to get the book.

Donated for the good cause.

Thank you all for your continued support!

We just added a page to our Gallery that details some of the digital restoration work that the Foundation has done.

Check out the original concept for Webstor by Roger Sweet!

http://www.powerandhonor.org/restoration-process

Digital Restoration Process

The Foundation has had the opportunity to handle hundreds of original pieces of artwork. To highlight the digital restoration work that has been done, we have chosen two very different examples.

The first piece is a large 19″ by 24″ concept design for Black Widow (Webstor) by Roger Sweet. The illustration is done in marker and paint on artist board. There is an acrylic overlay taped on all sides of the artist board.

The first step in the archival process is to preliminarily photograph the back and front to use for reference while we are cataloging and archiving.

Black Widow Reference Photo Front

Black Widow Reference Photo Back

Then each piece is carefully scanned at high resolution. Often, the art is too large to be scanned all at once so it must be scanned in multiple pieces and reassembled. This completed high resolution scan is then stored as the original in our digital archive.

A copy file is created as a working file that we use to begin the restoration process. Initial color adjustments are done to remove most of the paper aging. Then we proceed to remove as many of the imperfections, scratches, dust, glare from the acrylic overlay, and paper wrinkles as we can. At this point, we often go back and make a final color adjustment to get the digital image’s colors as close to the original artwork as possible. The working file is saved at the different steps of the restoration process. The images and corrections are also saved in different layers and color adjustment layers so that we can go back and do additional restoration if needed.

Black Widow Restoration Series

In addition to original artwork, we also work with original production reference prints and photos, which may very likely be all that is left for certain pieces.

Lizard Man original Polaroid

This Colin Bailey illustration was found attached to a group of unused Filmation model sheets as a very aged Polaroid. This situation needs a lot more work to restore the image to it’s original state. In addition to the restoration detailed above, it also required a few additional steps.

The photograph was scanned at a much higher resolution to preserve as much data as possible. Since it was a photograph of an original piece of artwork, we needed to correct the geometric distortion. We did not have access to the original artwork (which very likely does not exist anymore) so we had to do a much more intensive and detailed color adjustment. This piece came from a Polaroid and required enhancing the sharpness and contrast of the image. We then removed all shadows and other photo artifacts to make the image appear as flawless as possible. For the final file, we cropped out the white edges of the Polaroid and converted it to gamut colors.

Lizard Man restoration process

Restoration of these digital images helps to rescue and document the information and history contained in the original artwork, photographs, and prints. However, we have not yet begun the physical restoration on the original pieces in our collection. Our current focus is on preservation to prevent them for further damage and degradation.

(Notes: Black Widow was the working name for Webstor, Lizard Man was the working name for the character that eventually became Whiplash)
    Last edited by PowerAndHonor; June 28, 2011 at 06:37pm.

*shaking and crying* This is incredible. The Lizard Man (Whiplash) looks so fierce.

It's cool to see some of the steps taken to preserve these pieces! Thanks for sharing, PaH!
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I just have to say as someone who has worked in a Library University setting for years doing Digital Preservation that the Polaroid restoration is jaw dropping.

People who don't do that on a regular basis probably won't understand the work involved, but you guys should be applauded.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

The Whiplash is like a version during Fighting Foe Men times. heh

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I just have to say as someone who has worked in a Library University setting for years doing Digital Preservation that the Polaroid restoration is jaw dropping.

People who don't do that on a regular basis probably won't understand the work involved, but you guys should be applauded.
    I'm actually intrigued by this. Because to me, a Polaroid only means a cheap Polaroid-photo taken with an instant-camera.

The results look wonderful, and I would even hope to see a small section in the catalog explaining the restoration process in great detail, for better understanding and appreciation for the original artworks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I'm actually intrigued by this. Because to me, a Polaroid only means a cheap Polaroid-photo taken with an instant-camera.
    That is because for the most part that is what it is

I mean Polaroid did offer slides and produced cameras and film but they are most notable for the instant cameras which even until 1998-2000 the federal government used for its ID badge and documentation (I should know because we used it when I was with the DoD from 94-99).

Not sure if that picture they restored from an instant polaroid image but still anything outside a negative (or the actual source) is going to have issues that can be very hard to overcome.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Not sure if that picture they restored from an instant polaroid image but still anything outside a negative (or the actual source) is going to have issues that can be very hard to overcome.
    Yep, it was an instant polaroid image, exactly what you see in the first pic

Quote Originally Posted by PowerAndHonor View Post
    Yep, it was an instant polaroid image, exactly what you see in the first pic
    Then again you guys have my utmost respect, I probably would have gotten that at work and said you want me to what?!?!

These are awesome! unbelievable. The Lizard Man polaroid is nothing short of spectacular. I want this in figure form for sure. Keep it up P&HF.

Will there be any excerpts in the book from Roger Sweet?I'll be attending a couple of Comic Cons (probably some were between 500-700 people) other than the big cons along with a local toy show that brings in on an average of 400 -500 people that attend.If you don't mind I'd love to hand out some of the flyers to spread the word at them.
    ICER
    Your friendly neighborhood org member!

Quote Originally Posted by ICER View Post
    Will there be any excerpts in the book from Roger Sweet?I'll be attending a couple of Comic Cons (probably some were between 500-700 people) other than the big cons along with a local toy show that brings in on an average of 400 -500 people that attend.If you don't mind I'd love to hand out some of the flyers to spread the word at them.
    Mastering the Universe by Roger Sweet was a huge help in sorting, cataloging, and identifying many of the pieces in the collection. There is a considerable amount of text in the catalog and Roger's contributions to the line are examined in detail.

Thanks so much for the offer! I just sent a PM.

Looking at that image of Lizard Man, do you think thats the reason Whiplash was coloured the way he was in Clash of Arms mini comic??

NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Looking at that image of Lizard Man, do you think thats the reason Whiplash was coloured the way he was in Clash of Arms mini comic??
    Survey says: Probably.

donated.
    hope I`m not too late.
    A new Motu line, again at last!

Widget
    Donated too!!! Can't make it to the cons so looking forward to getting it in September!

Woo hoo!
    Last edited by SA-man2006; June 29, 2011 at 09:33am.

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8vAWRHBmaM...OA%2Bwhip3.jpg
    Either you stole a copy of the catalog or you really know your mini comics!

Yes, this very well may be the reason Whiplash has the yellow legs in this comic.

Impressive.

I know my minis.
    Cant wait to get the catalogue though!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

quick question is there a time frame on pre-ordering? I want to but can't until next week or the following, I'd love to have this!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    quick question is there a time frame on pre-ordering? I want to but can't until next week or the following, I'd love to have this!
    I was wondering the same thing!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I was wondering the same thing!
    I'm in the same situation! please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    We are planning to have enough catalogs for all donors between now and Power-Con and to also have enough available for supporters who donate at the con.

Our advice; donate when you can, pick up at the con! (Or receive by mail after the con.)

Quote Originally Posted by PowerAndHonor View Post
    We are planning to have enough catalogs for all donors between now and Power-Con and to also have enough available for supporters who donate at the con.

Our advice; donate when you can, pick up at the con! (Or receive by mail after the con.)
    Awesome! Thank you! I will be donating pretty soon and picking up at Power Con!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.