Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The Power and The Honor Foundation - Original MOTU Art Preservation

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I sent my donation today! I was waiting for the Canadian dollar to creep a little higher first...and it did! Woo, I saved $0.43!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by PowerAndHonor View Post
    We are planning to have enough catalogs for all donors between now and Power-Con and to also have enough available for supporters who donate at the con.

Our advice; donate when you can, pick up at the con! (Or receive by mail after the con.)
    fantastic!! thanks man!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I am so looking forward to this catalog. I do hope the donations are coming along nicely so that we may eventually see Volume 2.

Yes, I am already looking ahead

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Shame that version of Whiplash wasn't tapped for inspiration on the MOTUC figure.

Guess it could be a stand-alone figure in the future, but something tells me the current folks at Mattel maybe weren't aware of this look.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Shame that version of Whiplash wasn't tapped for inspiration on the MOTUC figure.

Guess it could be a stand-alone figure in the future, but something tells me the current folks at Mattel maybe weren't aware of this look.
    You're probably correct, as we were discussing earlier in this thread, all the had was the stuff we've seen in the SDCC artbook.
    So I'm pretty sure most of the stuff in this catalog will be completely new to them too

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    But wait . . . aren't they the top MotU experts over there, who see nothing to gain from working more closely with the fan community?

Just sayin', if the 200x stuff is so off-limits for people at Mattel, then it would sure be nice to have access to alternate looks for the characters, especially ones with cool history like that.

PowerAndHonor: Can you tease us with the concept female for MOTU?

Tallstar, we are working on some preview pages now. I don't think any female characters are on the preview pages so I will pass on the special request!

Darkspector

Just made my donation. Hopefully there will be some space dedicated to Princess of Power content in the first volume of the catalouge.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Just made my donation. Hopefully there will be some space dedicated to Princess of Power content in the first volume of the catalouge.
    Hi Angel-T.
    Unfortunately, there is no Princess of Power artwork in this first catalog. Most of the toy artwork we have comes from former Mattel's employee who worked on the MOTU brand, so from the Boys Toys department. As you may know, She-Ra wasn't handled by Boys Toys, and we have yet to find any POP related material by Mattel.

But POP was mostly conceptualized by Filmation, so all the preliminary work on their designs was done there, at least for the first wave. You probably heard Emiliano talking about that materials, and guess who has got it?
    So you'll seen plenty of POP concept art (like the Grizzlor image we posted, which is part of the POP cartoon development) in following volumes.

For later waves, we hope to be be able to track down other art from Mattel. As Tallstar was hinting, we do have one POP female concept that was developed originally for MOTU, which should be easy to guess as there has been lot of talk about her here on the forum
    Last edited by PowerAndHonor; July 1, 2011 at 05:10am.

Hi, thanks for replying. I understand where your guys are coming from if there in no Mattel toy POP content that you could have included. But surely some of the box art would be possible along with enlarged & restored versions of the original POP card back art?

I'm sad to say this feels like the SDCC art book all over again, where there was no She-Ra content bar a picture and a partial view of a mini comic. Our fandom (which is a big part of this brand) didn't even get a mention in that book, yet NA got a whole section but POP is arguably much more popular than NA in the fan community. I had really hoped it would be different with your catalouge.

I have to say I feel a bit deflated, I thought this was going to be looking at everything. This was one of the main reasons I wanted to show my support for the Power and Honour foundation work. The She-Ra fan in me was really looking foward to seeing some POP content in this catalouge.
    Last edited by Angel-T; July 1, 2011 at 10:54am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Hi, thanks for replying. I understand where your guys are coming from if there in no Matte toy POP content that you could have included. It just feels like the SDCC art book all over again where there was no She-Ra content bar a picture and a partial view of a mini comic. Our fandom which is a big part of this brand didn't even get a mention in that book, yet NA got a whole section and POP is arguably much more popular than NA in the fan community.

I have to say I feel a bit deflated, I thought this was going to be looking at everything. One of the main reasions I wanyed to show my support.The She-Ra fan in me was really looking foward to seeing some POP content in this catalouge. :-(
    Angel-T, we totally understand the frustration, but you have to understand that the content of our catalog (and our collection) isn't dictated by personal preferences or lack of respect for She-Ra, that is totally not the case. The content is dictated by the pure availability of the art. If there is no She-Ra art in this one, it's purely because we don't have any She-Ra toy art to include yet!

There is a section about NA because in the collection of pieces Josh bought from Roger Sweet there are a number of NA related ones. It has nothing to do with what series is more popular. We want to look at everything, but we can only showcase what we have, not invent art If we had a piece, we would have included it in the catalog. We didn't left out anything on purpose. For example, I can tell you there is no Attack Trak concept art. We're sure lots of fans would love to see it, but we just don't have it.

Plus, She-Ra gets mentioned a lot in the text.
    And, we just promised next catalogs will have PLENTY of She-Ra concepts, so why looking at the half empty glass? We're all big She-Ra fans and we couldn't be more excited about the POP materials we have and we can't wait to share that too. After all isn't the name of the Foundation "The Power and The HONOR"?

--------------------------
    EDIT:
    I see you edited your post:
    Hi, thanks for replying. I understand where your guys are coming from if there in no Mattel toy POP content that you could have included. But surely some of the box art would be possible along with enlarged & restored versions of the original POP card back art?
    That is not what the catalog is about. We don't own any of that orginal art and the catalog isn't about boxart or cardart. First volume is exclusively about toy concept art, and that's what you'll find inside. There is no MOTU boxart (again, we don't own any of those pieces at the moment). We like to keep our projects consistent: we had some movie concept art, but we decided to not include that here as it isn't toy concept art. But it will surely appear in one of the next catalog.
    My suggestion is to enjoy the catalog for what it is: an unprecedented look behind the scenes of the creation of the MOTU toyline
    Last edited by PowerAndHonor; July 1, 2011 at 10:40am.

I understand where you are comming from and I am not trying to stir up bad feeling honestly. I appreciate what you guys are trying to do, and if you have no POP art then you have no choice. But as I said as a POP fan it's sad that we have nothing to look foward to in this catalouge.

Even some nice high res scans of the Card back POP art would be amazing. Thats official Mattel toy art and freely available for you to access and restore (you would just need a mint card back to scan and enlarge). Or would you only be intrested & want to work on and restore the original hand drawn art for the card back art? The box art is still official art right?

Even some nice high res scans of the Card back POP art would be amazing. Thats official Mattel toy art and freely available for you to access and restore (you would just need a mint card back to scan and enlarge). Or would you only be intrested & want to work on and restore the original hand drawn art for the card back art? The box art is still official art right?
    I edited my post after you edited your
    This is what I said above:
    That is not what the catalog is about. We don't own any of that orginal art and the catalog isn't about boxart or cardart. First volume is exclusively about toy concept art, and that's all you'll find inside. There is no MOTU boxart (again, we don't own any of those pieces at the moment). We like to keep our projects consistent: we had some movie concept art, but we decided to not include that here as it isn't toy concept art. But it will surely appear in one of the next catalog.
    My suggestion is to enjoy the catalog for what it is: an unprecedented look behind the scenes of the creation of the MOTU toyline
    So, Box art isn't toy concept art and we don't own any original pieces, so we have no reason to include them in a catalog that is supposed to showcase the pieces we own (or digital scans of originals that have been donated by some artists)
    I think I understand where the confusion is, but we're not trying to replicate Mattel's artbook from Comic Con. That was a very different concept and included a bit of everything. Our catalog is what the name says: a catalog of the pieces we own. Of course we did our best to make it really enjoyable and a good read, but we never wanted to take a generic look at everything in MOTU. At least not on one single catalog

Tallstar, we are working on some preview pages now. I don't think any female characters are on the preview pages so I will pass on the special request!
    Coolness, thanks.

On a side note, I'm not sure if you would be interested, but I have contact information for a former Mattel employee that was involved in the Princess of Power line. He worked at Mattel for 10 years. Haven't spoken to him in a number of years, and I'm not sure if he would have anything available, art wise, but he may be able to point you guys in the right direction. PM me if this is something you would like to follow-up on...

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Coolness, thanks.

On a side note, I'm not sure if you would be interested, but I have contact information for a former Mattel employee that was involved in the Princess of Power line. He worked at Mattel for 10 years. Haven't spoken to him in a number of years, and I'm not sure if he would have anything available, art wise, but he may be able to point you guys in the right direction. PM me if this is something you would like to follow-up on...

Please follow up with Tallstar on this! We need names!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Thanks a lot for putting this together Josh, this is quite amazing of you to share your collection with the world. The work that goes into building a collection such as yours is mind blowing, and then to put in even more to share it has to truly be a labor of love and it is greatly appreciated.

Like many others here I have had the pleasure of dealing with you in the past, got some great test shots!

Just curious if you will be posting a deadline or warning once these catalogues are close to selling out? I would like to donate as well, but closer to release date if possible.

Thanks again for putting this together!

Coolness, thanks.

I think you should go ahead and pm them today, just so they don't miss this post. I am sure they would LOVE to have a lead
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

Please follow up with Tallstar on this! We need names!
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I think you should go ahead and pm them today, just so they don't miss this post. I am sure they would LOVE to have a lead
    Information sent. Hopefully something comes of it.

Information sent. Hopefully something comes of it.
    Thanks for the info Tallstar. We will work on it and let everyone know what we find out.

We do have a lot of POP concept art from Filmation that is still being cataloged and archived. However, it would be awesome to track down some Mattel pieces.

Thanks for the info Tallstar. We will work on it and let everyone know what we find out.

We do have a lot of POP concept art from Filmation that is still being cataloged and archived. However, it would be awesome to track down some Mattel pieces.
    I hope it's the first step in locating LOTS of cool stuff from the Star Sisters: concept art (for them and the playset), packaging, the unreleased mini-comic "Beyond the Azure Star Caverns" (right Tally), and, dare I dream...the prototypes!

I bought one. Please package the book safely in the mail (it seems like half the time I order a book online, they get some damage in the mail because of poor packaging). I also suggest not even bringing the books to the con of the people you know who definitely aren't going to the con. I won't be going.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I bought one. Please package the book safely in the mail (it seems like half the time I order a book online, they get some damage in the mail because of poor packaging). I also suggest not even bringing the books to the con of the people you know who definitely aren't going to the con. I won't be going.
    We're bringing extra copies of the catalog at the con for people that may want to donate there, but we won't bring copies reserved for people that have chosen to receive it by mail, why should we do that?

We're bringing extra copies of the catalog at the con for people that may want to donate there, but we won't bring copies reserved for people that have chosen to receive it by mail, why should we do that?
    When I paid, I didn't see a page where we could check whether we were going to the con or not. Should I e-mail or PM you with my information, so you know not to bring it to the con? Or if we pay in advance, is it automatically assumed we aren't going?
    Last edited by Firefly; July 2, 2011 at 09:40am.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    When I paid, I didn't see a page where we could check whether we were going to the con or not. Should I e-mail or PM you with my information, so you know not to bring it to the con? Or if we pay in advance, is it automatically assumed we aren't going?
    You have to specifically tell them in the notes or via email if you are going and want to pickup your book there

Also have no fear in Josh's packing, he sent me some cards to hand out and box was like fort knox
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback