Thread: People that can't get figures they want because people buy over three of them to keep

People that can't get figures they want because people buy over three of them to keep

I've noticed that some people have a lot of the same figure.

Some of you buy one to put on your shelf, one to keep "mint in box", one for a vehicle, one for the castle, etc.. And the people that have little money that really want one figure can't even get it because you needed to buy a couple more for a new pose.

I understand buying two of them to keep one in the box and one out. But some of you just buy them for the sake of buying them.

If you have two of one guy, you're good. But some of you just buy a figure whenever they're put on the site again, rare or not.

And by the time the people that can't get the figures look on the site to order them, they're listed on EBay for $50+ which is way out of their price range.

I just felt like I had to say this
    Last edited by General Zod; December 29, 2013 at 02:11am.

People are free to buy however many figures they want and do as they please with them. Who are you to judge? Teela may be my favorite figure so I want 1 MOC, 1 for my loose display, 1 to have on my desk at work. There's 3 right there, which by your logic is 1 too many. So what figure couldn't you get that you're upset about?

Alot. And there are a lot more people like me that haven't been able to get one of a figure they wanted because someone just had to have another. I'm trying to stick up for those people. These figures are cool, but do you really need like five of one guy?

That fifth one someone bought could've belonged to someone that doesn't just keep them in a box forever without looking at them,but really enjoys them.

I just feel that it's wrong and I'm sorry if I offend anyone

As a new collector myself, the prices of some figures on the secondary market are absolutely terrifying, but that's just supply and demand for you. The likes of Shadow Weaver and Sorceress would probably still be rare if people didn't buy multiples, except that there would be more loose figures for sale and the few unopened ones available would be even more expensive.

Personally I have way more then just one of each, but then I do a lot of customizing with them and make other characters.

Like this cool custom Nikolas Powers:

I had 3 subs this year, but if guys like me didn't buy 3 subs or more the line would have died a long time ago. And not all figures go up to $50 just some. Yes Teela did shoot up in price. And I did buy 3 at the time. Sold one for about $33 and kept the other 2. One I customized and the other I opened but left untouched.

Here's an example of all my figures of just the "He-Man" Character, some are custom some are variants and I've made a few more since I took this pictures.

(Everyone one of them is different in some way)

Here's a close up of one of the newer ones:

So really if people buy more, it's just helping the line. (He-Man is still for sale on the He-Man.com site, I just bought 3 more during cyber Monday to customize.)

Heroic Warrior
    While people are free to buy as many subs as they want, I understand the frustration regarding day-of-sale figures (as did many last Cyber Monday). I guess that's just the reality of an extremely limited, web-based line. Maybe the purchase limits on re-issues of highly-demanded figures shouldn't be so high--it does seem like catering to scalpers to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    While people are free to buy as many subs as they want, I understand the frustration regarding day-of-sale figures (as did many last Cyber Monday). I guess that's just the reality of an extremely limited, web-based line. Maybe the purchase limits on re-issues of highly-demanded figures shouldn't be so high--it does seem like catering to scalpers to some extent.
    Except there are no more reissues. All Cyber Monday was was a selling off of remaining customer service or warehouse find stock.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    People are free to buy however many figures they want and do as they please with them. Who are you to judge? Teela may be my favorite figure so I want 1 MOC, 1 for my loose display, 1 to have on my desk at work. There's 3 right there, which by your logic is 1 too many. So what figure couldn't you get that you're upset about?
    I agree with you, but if we're gonna go that way please no more 'no reissues' BS from collectors. I'd buy two/three of the main ones easily if they were readily available.

Simply make more of the more in demand figures. This line really saps the life out of you. So much BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolingbroke View Post
    I agree with you, but if we're gonna go that way please no more 'no reissues' BS from collectors. I'd buy two/three of the main ones easily if they were readily available.

Simply make more of the more in demand figures. This line really saps the life out of you. So much BS.
    The high secondary market prices on some figures are probably a bit inflated and don't reflect as high of a demand for reissues as they might seem. After all, it's not like Matty could get away with selling a reissued Teela for $100 or even $50.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolingbroke View Post

I think the reason we aren't seeing reissues is to build demand for a 2016 line. You want Teela, here's a 200X version - same outfit design but with longer hair. Need a Beastman - here's one with a brighter color and longer loin cloth. Hey, how about a 200X He-man with an Alcala head and wrist hinges?

Quote Originally Posted by General Zod View Post

Some of you buy one to put on your shelf, one to keep "mint in box", one for a vehicle, one for the castle, etc.. And the people that have little money that really want one figure can't even get it because you needed to buy a couple more for a new pose.
    I can't buy a figures for my new castle, because you don't have one yet?

I understand buying two of them to keep one in the box and one out. But some of you just buy them for the sake of buying them.
    That's not allowed? Ugh, this "free country" thing is so confusing.

If you have two of one guy, you're good.
    We're not allowed to own more than 2 of a figure, period? Even if they have multiple heads? Or we're customizers? Etc, etc.

But some of you just buy a figure whenever they're put on the site again, rare or not.
    We're not allowed to buy more than 2 of a figure, even if they're not rare?

And by the time the people that can't get the figures look on the site to order them, they're listed on EBay for $50+ which is way out of their price range.
    "No “scalper” harassment threads. Every dealer has the right to offer his/her item for whatever price they wish. It is up to the buyer whether or not to purchase an item." - He-Man.Org Rules sticky

If you have two of one guy, you're good. But some of you just buy a figure whenever they're put on the site again, rare or not.

I think you just need to take a step back and re-evaluate the situation.

It's not a problem with demand, but with the supply.
    It doesn't matter if someone buys a hundred of these, as long as there are more than enough for everyone to go around.
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

I agree with the original poster. There's so much greed in the collecting world.

Buying multiples for the sake of it is all part of the hoarding mentality so many collector exhibit and quite frankly it's disgusting.
    Last edited by retcon; December 29, 2013 at 04:43am.

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    I honestly have to agree with Retcon here.

And of coarse it's a free country, and you're free to do what ever the hell you want, and buy as many toys or what ever that you want... but the collector greed has gotten really bad the past couple of years, and disgusting is a really good word. And sadly, especially with MOTUC, there just ISN'T enough to go around with MOST of these figures. And it really does poor salt in the wound, when, let's say, there's a figure that you REALLY want, and you weren't able to get it. And then you come to a forum like this, and some jack ass is bragging about how he was able to order 10 of that same figure that you wanted, just because he could, and you weren't able to even come close to getting one. It sucks, and it's frustrating.

So I totally understand where General Zod is coming from. And he isn't attacking anybody specific, just venting about the situation. And I understand that.

Collecting this line, or any toy line for that matter, is supposed to be fun.... not miserable. But a combination of Mattel, and gluttonous collectors, have all but sucked the joy out of it. And that's really sad to me, because this is, by far, the best toy line I have ever collected, or been so invested in.
    Last edited by JonnyTyler; December 29, 2013 at 04:58am.
    Please Give My MOTUC Sale Thread A Look! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...easts-For-Sale
    I have a new Thread in the Vintage Marketplace! Check it out!! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=209217
    Here's my Trader's Review too: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ght=Jonnytyler

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyTyler View Post
    Collecting this line, or any toy line for that matter, is supposed to be fun.... not miserable. But a combination of Mattel, and gluttonous collectors, have all but sucked the fun out of it. and that's sad to me.
    Fun doesn't mean that everything you want should be available cheaply and easily though. Collectible figures aren't exactly the most liquid of assets, and speculating can be risky if you buy a bunch of copies of one item and then see its value tank, which probably happens more often than not. MOTUC is a very niche product, there are a small number of people who treasure these figures, and a huge number who wouldn't want them if they were being given away. You just sort of have to accept that the market is going to be wacky at times and spend your money wisely.

What you are complaining about it's just natural in the collecting world and has nothing to do with greed..
    As a matter of fact, there's only just a few motuc figures which have an high market value but, apart for some specific cases (fisto, where mattel misjudged quantities, or club eternia exclusives like shadow weaver, two bad, etc), all of them were easily avaible if you were there from the beginning.
    Teela, for example, was not an instant sell out; if you had been buying motuc regularly back in 2009 you would have gotten her pretty easily on DOS.
    But once you miss the train (and provided mattel doesn't reissue them), then you are subject to the law of demand and supply, as it's always the case for every scarce resources in everyday life; even if everybody had just bought one Teela, you still wouldn't be able to get one now at the price you want.
    Besides, the line would have been long dead if we hadn't had people buying multiples...
    Last edited by tumalu; December 29, 2013 at 05:10am.

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    I agree with the original poster. There's so much greed in the collecting world.

Buying multiples for the sake of it is all part of the hoarding mentality so many collector exhibit and quite frankly it's disgusting.
    The only thing that ****** me of about any collecting hobby is the lack of community I don't do it and alot of collector's I know don't do it either but my BIGGEST pet peeve is troop building when Star Wars first came back out in 1995 I couldn't find a Stormtrooper for about 2 years thank god E-Bay wasn't here yet so imagine the prices! But with a limited line like this certain figures are/were harder to find (I.E. Horde Troopers) so between troop builders and Mattel's mis-management of that scenerio alot of people are going to have to pay double or triple because of E-Bay..And the part that alot of people will not admit is that they buy doubles in hoping to sell so they can buy more MOTUC product...thus feeding a habit or hobby (depends how you look at it)

Campare this line to the 2002 or vintage and see how many doubles people have not too many...

People need to at least be honest about it and not make excuses why they do it...

I buy one of every figure, (a few exceptions in case of multi heads , i have two lots of hoard troopers, 3 vykrons ect )

but its peoples right to buy multiples. they help pay for a large chunk of the production, most multi buyers have subs i've found so you really aint competing DOS, and even when you are its no different then someone with none buying it.
    You complain about 2nd figure prices going up on figures you missed and want to buy... who do you think is selling the secondary market figures?, take teela, she would have been long gone from matty by now even if folks just brought one or two per person but who would be selling them for late arrivals to the line . and i doubt its people who already own a bunch paying the high prices but folks wanting to own at least one bidding it up.

You have missed out on figures that you now want and it is frustrating yes, i to came in late and had to catch up in 2011. took me awhile but i did it and didn't have to over pay on any. i just did saved searches and played the long game.

You seem to be looking for people to blame for your missing out on figures, its part of being frustrated, i get that, but take a moment to look at the bigger picture, its not fellow collectors, you have had the same chance as other collectors have had, hell even better chance then if they were on store shelves. but its matty you should be looking towards to see if they can do an ALL Star line.

Heroic Warrior
    Sometimes I buy more figures but its to customize the ones I was unable to acquire or don't want to pay the mark up or secondary market price. I will continue to buy 1-5 of any figure I want. I pass on some, a lot actually should I have to buy one of each to support the line? yeah I wish I had started this collection sooner but its a toy collection, I can sell any figure from my collection and get roughly what I paid over the balance of the collection, wait 4-5 years down the road you will be able to buy some of these $50 figures for $20 loose mint complete, I have been collecting toys for 25 years, collections and prioritys change, look how many ppl sold off their 200x figures when this collection took off for quarters on the dollar! I personally bought 7 x 200x castle greyskulls for $5 each and sold them to my friends that wanted them for $5 each, and donated a couple to a Christmas charity/ toy drives! When the palace guards were on sale for $27 on matty I bought 2 more sets and now have 8 guards, 4 of which are for customs and possible trade bait??

Bottom line if that's what your belief is then stick to your guns and only buy 2 or less of any given figure! That's great for you!

Heroic Warrior

You are asking something impossible, asking collectors to wish for one, or two at the most, copies of the same figure for all kind of characters. This sounds like an ethical sacrifice, like a "buy just what you stricly need". Something that we should apply in everyday life on everything. But unfortunately the current predominant model is "buy as much as you can" ("the more you buy the more you're cool"). You can't pretend people living on this model to act according to the other one only for MOTUC just because you need it. This would need a full change of mentality on every side. But, anyway, this is something that goes far beyond the simple toy collecting (and, by the way, collecting implies automatically pieces harder to find/get).

DISCLAIMER: at no point am I talking about sub holders here. People can and should buy as many subs as they deem sensible and enjoy any benefits coming with it, including semi-exclsuive "no DoS"-figures. I'm strictly talkng about DoS, secial sales and the secondary market here.

I can kinda understand both sides of the discussion. I understand the frustration of some that simply can't seem to find a figure they "need" for a sensible price (I guess we've all been there). Compare that to some "collection" pictures I have seen here and elsewhere, where people don't even display their MOCs, but just hoard everything in piles or even plastic boxes. And yes, I also think that in quite some (not all) cases this might be indicative of some kind of mental disorder, however slight. I can also understand frustration about and disdain for "Scalpors" who just hoard stuff to pull a profit off actual collectors and fans. Or people who just buy multiple Teelas "because they can", without having any actual plans for them. Of course some will then argue that "it's a free country" and everyone has the right to buy as many of any figure and use them as they want, no matter the purpose, and yes, of course they do. However, just because one can does not mean one must, often not even that he should. The mindset of "doing something just because" without any regard to the possible inclinations is more of an ethical/social and political topic, though, and best discussed elsewhere. Suffice to say that I am convinced we have just yet begun to reap its "rewards"...
    EDIT: I see that BlueHeaven has been delving a bit into this as well in the meantime.

Now, on the other hand, I don't see a problem with anyone buying gods-know-how-many figures of any kind for their actual hobby purposes, wether it's to display several variants (even if it IS 5-6 "different" Teelas - a buddy of mine is exclusively collecting and customizing Skeletor-Variants including newly self-invented ones - 16 and counting), customizing (even if that means disassembling Teelas, Fistos and Shadow Weavers), keeping several MOC (maybe to open some of them up at a later point) or trading for something they actually want for themselves. Because those people actually DO ultimately get enjoyment out of the figures themselves and not just their imagined value. Or take Horde Troopers. It's sad that many people missed out on them, but I don't see anythng wrong with people buying 5, 6 or even 20 packs to build their own army. Of course, quite a few will have gone to the same "Scalpors" already mentioned, but no way have these been all or even most.

Another thing to keep in mind considerig older figures: if I started to collect any retail-line that has reached its 3rd or 4th wave, I would have a pretty hard time getting even the core figures of the first wave for their original price as well. That's just the nature of the beast and everyone should be aware of that before diving in head first.

So yeah, there's two sides to the coin here, and I think the actual line is a tough one to draw at times, so one shouldn't be too quick to judge on every occasion. But as I said, I also fully understand those frustrated about "collectors" who are really just hoarders and/or scalpers drying up the supply. The best way to deal with the latter is to simply not buy from them. Keep a strong will for long enough, and you will be able to get that figure you need for a somewhat decent price one day.
    Last edited by Hy-Man; December 29, 2013 at 07:22am.
    Every thread about every MotUC-reveal, ever...

The Sword of Spector - forged in the scorching flames of nerdrage and tempered by the woeful tears of the butthurt

Heroic Warrior
    I can understand the frustration of having to play catch up and not having figures available, but trying to tell collectors how to go about their hobby is pure insanity. I had to play catch up in 2011 because at the start of the line, no matter how cool it was, I was going through a divorce and didn't have the funds for it. By fall of '11, I was in a much better place and Black Friday/Cyber Monday helped out immensely. But that was when Matty still had a lot of figures in stock. Now it's 2 years later and that's just not possible.

So I don't think that it's a case of collectors hoarding certain figures, but of the supply not meeting demand, and various other factors. Getting into the line now would drive me nuts, as the average price per figure is at least $40.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    This kind of mentality is uber-selfish and narrow minded, because it puts the blame on others for *your* inability to afford the secondary market prices. It expects benevolence and fair play in a hobby that is completely self-serving to begin with.

It's essentially asking, "Why can't you collect toys with others in mind, like me, who's only posting this because your actions affect *me*."

I own 2 Teelas. I want a third to put the Weapons Pak armor on (and hopefully one day have a matching shield to recreate the vintage toy acurately). I have 3 Ram-Man figures. 1 with the helmet, 1 without, and one still boxed in case either of them breaks. Because he's my favorite character and I want to ensure I always have him.

If you can't afford the cost of older figures, that sucks. But it's on you, not us. We were here, and we paid Matty what they were charging. or, we went to secondary sellers, and paid what they were asking.

If you want a toy that's not currently for sale, you have to do the same.
    NO RED BEAST? WE TURN BEAT RED!

My MOTU Classics Wishlist:
    Filmation - KITTRINA, Vultak, Zilora, Ileena
    Space Mutants - CRITA, Staghorn, Quakke, Butthead
    MYP - VEENA, Evilseed, Prahvus
    Concept - RED BEAST

Hey guys, I'm going to close this one down. As a few people have brought up we don't allow scalper harassment threads. Per the forum rules: "Every dealer has the right to offer his/her item for whatever price they wish. It is up to the buyer whether or not to purchase an item."

As for the non-scalpers, it's everyone's right to collect how they want to collect, and to be able to post here without ridicule or harassment about their habits.

Thanks guys!