Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The SDCC thing is getting a little old

The SDCC thing is getting a little old

What bothers me about this whole thing is now TG is saying they have 5, count them, 1 2, 3, 4, 5 (a ha ha ha) announcements, but they insist on saving them all for what is really a very mediocre con. There comes a point at which suspense just turns into annoyance, and for me three months is well past that point. A better idea would be to trickle those announcements out over a few months, so that we enjoy one, savor it, discuss it, and just when it gets boring, put out another one. This would keep everyone interested instead of getting bored with after several months of speculation.
    Good Trades with: MOTU_Maniac, bmoore, Riddle of Steel, sandrockgundam04, Brian Ozone, and blue monkey.

Let them save them for SDCC...it's fine with me. Seems as if all of geekdom comes out to that "Mediocre" con...and those that aren't there are focused on it from afar. I've got no issues with how Mattel is handling it, I'm an adult, I can wait. Now...if the 5 announcements end up being really nothing, then THAT will be an issue. PLUS they're ACTUALLY drawing attention to MotU's anniversary for a change...thumbs up!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

"very mediocre con"

Are you kidding me? SDCC is the con to end all cons!

The whole point of waiting for the reveals is the giant platform which the SDCC offers Mattel for the 30th anniversary.

Seems someone's just a tad impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    Now...if the 5 announcements end up being really nothing, then THAT will be an issue.
    I fear that that will be the case. Toyguru has all but confirmed that the announcements are related to the Classics line, which pretty much confirms that they are all toy-related. Now, honestly speaking, apart from the reveal of Filmation figures, what other toy-related news would one consider “huge” and “giant” (not my words, his)?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake View Post
    "very mediocre con"

Are you kidding me? SDCC is the con to end all cons!

The whole point of waiting for the reveals is the giant platform which the SDCC offers Mattel for the 30th anniversary.

Seems someone's just a tad impatient.
    Con to end all cons?! You've got to be kidding me. When the day ends at SDCC, they roll up the streets and that's it. That can't compare at all to Dragoncon or most other cons where the party is 24/7 until Monday morning. 10 years or more ago, SDCC might have been something, but now it's mainly just an industry platform.
    Good Trades with: MOTU_Maniac, bmoore, Riddle of Steel, sandrockgundam04, Brian Ozone, and blue monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I fear that that will Toyguru has all but confirmed that the announcements are related to the Classics line
    Let me doubt about it
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

That's a tough call, I understand your point and your frustration. But, I would still rather wait till con. It will make the panel mean that much more. I endure the hell that is comic con every year just for Mattel. And as awesome as seeing their newest figures are, I always question myself, is it really worth that exclusive I can get on Matty a few days later, or going through all that for a few photo reveals that I can get in the comfort of my own home in time? But nothing beats the experience of being in the room with other He-fans during those reveals, and to be around so many people cheering with you, because besides this website, I know nobody that has the passion for Masters in my normal life. So yeah I look forward to being in the room with other fans when those announcements are made, and wish Mattel would film the crowd reaction to those reveals, without showing the reveals. Kinda like crowd reactions for horror movies So everyone can see why it can be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by SSj3 Derek View Post
    Con to end all cons?! You've got to be kidding me. When the day ends at SDCC, they roll up the streets and that's it. That can't compare at all to Dragoncon or most other cons where the party is 24/7 until Monday morning. 10 years or more ago, SDCC might have been something, but now it's mainly just an industry platform.
    There's plenty of debauchery to be had in San Diego, night or day.

That's what make sdcc so big. It's a platform for comPanies to hawk their wares directly to the audience they want buying it. It wasn't that way before and it had zero media attention. Sdcc is for lack of a better comparison the pop culture oscars. A lot of geekcentric folks hate sharing with the mainstream but guess what those geeks work in the mainstream now. and they made geek culture a multibillion dollar industry, like it or not for the forseeable future sdcc is the big dance for all these properties to show off what's coming. It's bigger than toy fair too. So you have to accept this is where they'll Pull out the big guns. It's prom night they ain't giving it up until then.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I fear that that will be the case. Toyguru has all but confirmed that the announcements are related to the Classics line, which pretty much confirms that they are all toy-related. Now, honestly speaking, apart from the reveal of Filmation figures, what other toy-related news would one consider “huge” and “giant” (not my words, his)?
    Castle Grayskull... That's my guess for 1 of the 5

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Justice View Post
    That's a tough call, I understand your point and your frustration. But, I would still rather wait till con. It will make the panel mean that much more. I endure the hell that is comic con every year just for Mattel. And as awesome as seeing their newest figures are, I always question myself, is it really worth that exclusive I can get on Matty a few days later, or going through all that for a few photo reveals that I can get in the comfort of my own home in time? But nothing beats the experience of being in the room with other He-fans during those reveals, and to be around so many people cheering with you, because besides this website, I know nobody that has the passion for Masters in my normal life. So yeah I look forward to being in the room with other fans when those announcements are made, and wish Mattel would film the crowd reaction to those reveals, without showing the reveals. Kinda like crowd reactions for horror movies So everyone can see why it can be worth it.
    Well Paul, I can understand what you are saying about being in the room with other fans during the reveals and all, but I think you could generate more suspense by letting out, say, two of the announcements over May and June, but no pictures. Let's say for argument's sake, the announcements are

-The vehilce is the Wind Raider
    -The do have Filmation Rights
    -The Classic Media tie in is a dvd/figure pack you can order (We'll say the figure is Filmation colored Evil-lyn)
    -They are planning new mini-comics
    -The final female figure is the Sorceress

Now first, these are just for the sake of argument! Do not go off on the tangent of which of these could be real, because it does not matter for the point I'm making, I just picked these out of the air. Now they could, over the period of May - July, tell us that the vehicle is the Wind Raider, and the Classic Media tie-in is Filmation Evil-lyn, but not release any pictures, and keep the other three announcements secret. This way, instead of several months of ennui where we are speculated out, we can chew over these new announcements, and yet the people who go to the con will still have the big reveal when they see the pics. In fact, it may even be a bigger moment, because you will have ben anticipating them, and that will heighten the moment for a lot of people. I think it would be a better marketing strategy.

However, Paul you did help make the other point when you talked about enduring the hell which is SDCC. That'sa big part of what makes me call it a mediocre con. None of us talk about enduring the hell of Dragoncon, in fact for those of us that are bign on the con scene, it's usually the event of the year, 4 days of fun, not something to be endured.

And Uncle Jake, you are also making that point. People have to leave the con to find fun. I literally know dozens of people who fly all the way across the Atlantic ocean to come to Dragoncon, and while Atlanta has a ton to do, none of them (not to mention the rest of us) leave the con area for the entirety of the con. THAT is how you know it's a good con, vs. SDCC which really isn't anymore.
    Last edited by SSj3 Derek; June 16, 2011 at 10:36pm.

Does Dragon Con have a bunch of MOTU reveals? Nope, didn't think so.

SDCC > Dragon Con

You are on the wrong forum to debate this.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Sorry, SDCC is where's it at. Yes it has gotten a bit corporate but its still the best place to get the news and all the good stuff we want.

I'll be sure to pass along your grievances to the booth babes.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Eh, I don't care. I can't really get around sounding like a jerk, so I'll just say it: I've got plenty of other stuff I'm interested in. The wait just does not bother me. It's not my life. It's a big hobby and I LOVE toys, but generally I just pop on from time to time to talk. Sure, I see the stuff about when they'll be anouncing details, but I've just never cared until it happens. It's not on the back of my mind all the time. I think about it a little when I'm on here, but then I go look for topics that are interesting, rather than ones that are full of baseless guesswork. Most of the time I completely forget when the cons are - even now I couldn't tell you exactly when SDCC is, and I've been following news from there for years.

Like I said, I love toys, but it's just too dang boring to really keep track of when the news comes out. It'll come when it comes.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I am excited about the reveals at SDCC. The speculation is part of the fun and I've always had a great time at the Matty panel - well, except that one year when they kicked me out of the first row when I was waiting for those seats for a long time. Plus, the He-Man.Org get-together after the panel makes the whole event that much better.

As far as spreading out the announcements, in some respects they have been in that the number of announcements (and toy possibilities) has increased over the past couple of months. It's like Christmas - I'd rather wait and get all of my toys at once than open up one toy per day for a period of time.

dragon con lol

As long as one announcement is rights to Filmation characters I will forgive them for this long wait.

I'll be at SDCC on Friday and Saturday, including (hoping) the Matty panel; I'll let you know if the wait was worth it. And, as I have attended the past 4 years, Comic-Con is far from mediocre; I've enjoyed myself more and more each and every year; can't wait for the He-man.org get-together.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Eh, I don't care. I can't really get around sounding like a jerk, so I'll just say it: I've got plenty of other stuff I'm interested in.
    You people that actually have a life make me sick!!!

Always Expect the Unexpected!

There seems to be some misunderstanding to the point I made. Now to the people that like waiting, that's fine as a preference, but from a marketing standpoint you are still better off keeping people talking about your product, and yet I see a number of people in other threads saying essentially the same thing I am, that the speculation is getting boring. Sure, there are a number people still speculating, and more power to them, but those people would continue to talk about the product if there were announcements, and one of the goals of marketing to keep as many people talking about your product as possible. From a marketing standpoint trickling out a couple of announcements is still a better idea, because it would keep everyone talking. (I assume they will say it is logistics which makes that impossible. )

What I seem to be getting about SDCC is some people think it's better because there are MOTU reveals there. Thank you for making my point. SDCC is a mediocre con. Yes, a number of people still have fun there (thus I call it mediocre, not bad) but go to one of the party cons, and you'll see there is no comparison. You go to SDCC and endure a bunch of hassle for the reveals, as opposed to other cons where we have a huge 24 hour-a-day for 3 or 4 days party. Now imagine if the MOTU reveals were at a good con instead. Instead of rolling up the streets when some convention center closes, you get all the reveals, and then go to awesome parties at night. Or imagine if there were no MOTU reveals? Would you still go to SDCC? If the answer is no, it's not a good con. And sorry, but I have to laugh about booth babes. I prefer to spend my time talking to hot girls that are genuinely into the same things I am, not the ones who are paid to be there.
    Last edited by SSj3 Derek; June 17, 2011 at 12:08am.

It is the Con to end all Cons as far as the business is concerned, and Mattel is a business. SDCC for more than 10 years has been the place where media and toy companies show up. Because of that it elevates it to that level.

Now Con Experience is a totally different thing, Dragoncon/BlizzardCon/Dukefest are all conventions that could vie for top con experience.

In this case Mattel could care less about that, they need a venue to sell their items to the largest group possible.

Its the exact same reason video game companies use E3 to reveal and push their big stuff and why electronics companies use CES.

You may not like SDCC or think its not really a valid con, but that does not remove the reality that it is currently and for the foreseeable future the biggest and most sought after convention in America.

Also to counter, if there was no MOTU reveal it would still be a top con because of the participating by TV, Movie, and Toy manufacturers.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

When I was modelling at SDCC if they rolled up the streets, it didn't stop our parties. I remember seeing the MOTU stuff in 2001 before the new cartoons and that was awesome to experience in person. My brother, who had came with me, and I spent a long time talking with the 4H about our love of MOTU. SDCC is a great experience and I encourage anyone who can, to go. This year I will be checking my computer for updates so those that are there, share the wealth of knowledge, please.
    Meow,
    Princess Selina Desire

To be perfectly honest, I enjoy the SDCC reveals and I'm glad for the most part; the remainder of the year is revealed at that point. I don't collect other lines or other toys. MOTUC is something I collect because it was a huge part of my childhood growing up, and I love the nostaglia.

This gives me the opportunity to see whats coming up for the rest of the year and even possibly the first part of next year. Plus I can come here and get all the information from the website or forums within that one weekend and be completely satisfied and then get on with my other hobbies.

I'm not your typical collector though. Though I do lurk around here often.

Hey Wonder Princess, I liked very much your Avatar, what is it?
    Last edited by bianchi5; June 17, 2011 at 12:38am.
    My Feedback

The fortress of mystery and power!

Ugh sadly I'm not going this year... =( But next year I'm going for sure! =D Even if I have to sell a kidney...