Thread: What does it mean that non-main character reissues do not sell that well?

Heroic Warrior

What does it mean that non-main character reissues do not sell that well?

Ok guys, we have heard Toyguru say that they will no longer go into production again for most figures because they do not sell as well as the main characters. But what does that mean? All reissues are selling out so far, even if it takes a few days. Are they really not selling out, and Matty is just pulling them off early and claiming that they are sold out? And can anybody figure out why Mattel is so loathe to have characters stand around more than like 5 days? I know that they have said it is because of storage costs? But did they not know about those storage costs when they originally said that they wanted figures to stick around at least a month?

I guess I just feel bad for anyone who gets into the line in the next year or so. They aren't going to be able to afford it, and if we want another figure for some reason (like we broke one trying to fix production mistakes that were never caught by Matty like shoulders), then I guess we are out of luck also.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

I don't think it should mean anything - a sell-out should be a sell-out. Unless Matty is flat-out lying about that status why could they possibly complain about a figure taking up to a couple of weeks to shift. The unrealistic declarations aboout Figures "selling poorly" even though they sell-out just sound stupid at best and downright untrustworthy at worst.

But this is Mattyland. Most other etailers would be ecstatic about a Line continuing to power on after 3 years but not TG........it's always a glass half empty when it comes to the second-stringers.

Whatever, as the teenagers say.

Although I finally have completed my set . I am discouraged that Mattel plans to reissue less figures in the year(s) to come. The announcement that Leech & Hurricane Hordak will not be reissued since they are not main characters is absurd. I just wonder if these figures or any other future figures sell out lightning fast (i.e. Trap Jaw, Hordak, Moss Man, Whiplash reissue, etc.) if they will reconsider this plan.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    great question. that statement seemed to come out of nowhere.

Heroic Collector of MOTUC the.overlord's Avatar
    DESPONDOS (watching the game - having a Bud...with HORDAK)
    What it means....(for Matty)

REISSUE HE-MAN = SELLS WELL
    REISSUE CARNIVUS = NOT

It does make sense......look at how long it took for some of the latest reissues to be sold out (if not they were pulled off the site by Matty).....

They don't care.....if it does not sell within their 'acceptable' time frame, then it's as good as retired!

It stinks for those who missed out on them.....but we always have the 'Bay that can take care of this! Almost everything on the bay is going for cost (or close to) except for a few figures (MAA, Teela, etc).
    Classics Collector!!

Successful transactions/trades with: MossMan710179, cobaltkatdrone, reefkeeper, Zildjian, keithfuchs, Raypor, Zovex, JOXE, Son of Keldor, Hogan, BadSchoolGirl69, Degra, Uki, Blue Monkey, dedset13, Vaal (THX EVERYONE!!)

My trader review:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169339

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Was there talk from Mattel about reissues of non A listers not selling as well when they used to only have one reissue at a time?

There's been a few months lately with multiple reissues released at the same time, and IMO that's too much. It can get expensive if you're buying a lot of figures at a time every month. I wonder if having two reissues on sale the same month has contributed to not selling as many of each reissue as compared to when only one reissue is available. After all it is easier to say on sale day "I can afford to add one more figure to my order this month" as opposed to adding two figures to your monthly order.

Personally, I prefer to budget myself to buy just two figures at a time from Matty. Lately is seems that there's been 3 or 4 figures available each month and that may be just too much to buy all in one month for some of us.

For instance, I would have been interested in buying a second Whiplash, but getting Faceless One & Battle Ground Teela was enough of an expense for me this month.

I think a lot of people are blowing this out of proportion, about a year ago they went into a mode where everyone was going to get reissued because they were selling out so fast.

Then things started to slow down meaning more people had the chance to get figures, the reissues did not move as fast so they decided to just stop doing a 2nd batch. That is perfectly understandable and does not mean the line has failed or is slowing, it means they finally have what they feel are adequate production numbers the first time around.

You don't want to saturate the market, having 3-4 figures available in one month does not look as good as having 1-2, especially if those extra figures slowly move.

But I promise you if there is a figure or more that sells out in 3-15min again it will warrent a reissue (outside the SDCC figures).
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Ugh this really sucks for me! =( Got into the line late and I don't want to pay Evilbay!

I'm really hoping that Leech gets a second sale date like King Hssss because I'll be at school that day and if I don't get a Leech... I don't know whats going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    Was there talk from Mattel about reissues of non A listers not selling as well when they used to only have one reissue at a time?

There's been a few months lately with multiple reissues released at the same time, and IMO that's too much. It can get expensive if you're buying a lot of figures at a time every month. I wonder if having two reissues on sale the same month has contributed to not selling as many of each reissue as compared to when only one reissue is available. After all it is easier to say on sale day "I can afford to add one more figure to my order this month" as opposed to adding two figures to your monthly order.
    I posted this awhile back, but have amended it for May and June:

The reissues do seem to be lasting longer these days, but that's partly because they're flooding us with them. This line has been very expensive this year. The cost of all the figures released, excluding shipping, has been:

January - $120 (Vikor, Royal Guards, Goddess, Mo-Larr)
    February - $110 (Bow, Shadow Beast, Keldor, Tytus) plus $20 for PD He-man
    March - $100 (Hsss, BA Skeletor, Adora, Marzo, Evil Lyn)
    April - $82 (Sy-Klone, Panthor, Moss Man, Weapons Rack)
    May - $60 (Catra, Stratos, She-ra)
    June - $80 (Faceless One, BG Teela, Whiplash, Grizzlor)

I'm on a budget, and can't spend $100 every month on MOTUC. In some months, I bought the reissues over the new figure because TG said we'd have a chance to pick up the figures later. For example, I skipped Hsss to pick up Adora, and then Hsss disappears with no Almost Gone tag. Now it seems we may never get him again.

I think 1 reissue per month is a good target. That's pretty much what they did last year and it worked for me. I won't complain that we are getting too many characters, because I want as many as we can get. But if they are only available for 2 days, and never again, it's tough. I'll have to go to the aftermarket to pick them up, get a 2nd job, or get a divorce .

As someone new-ish to the line (My first was King Grayskull 2) the fact that reissues will be toned down or not done at all is really disappointing. Because of how hard these figures were to get is exactly why I didn't get into the line sooner.
    I've been able to get most of the figures I'd like thanks to eBay, but for higher than matty's cost in most cases, and it's pretty frustrating. I got lucky getting a loose incomplete Teela, but I figured it would make a good place holder while waiting for a reissue, which it now seems will never come. I think if the line is to remain successful reissues are needed to keep gaining new buyers.
    Stay free my Misery

Heroic Warrior
    Maybe they're not reissuing because one of the announcements is the line is going to retail?
    I'd be okay with that.
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by eternia23 View Post
    great question. that statement seemed to come out of nowhere.
    Not quite out of nowhere, just trying to figure out why reissues that take maybe 2 weeks to sell out are considered failures by Mattel. Maybe if it took 6 months, but I would think that most companies would be pleased if something still sold out in a month or less.

Does Matty not realize that making it hard to get past figures might discourage those who will only start collecting if they have hope of completing a full collection affordably?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by guy-dude View Post
    Maybe they're not reissuing because one of the announcements is the line is going to retail?
    I'd be okay with that.
    Let's hope not. Mattel's Retro-Action Super Heroes were at retail, and only four waves in just got cancelled due to poor sales, which were DIRECTLY caused by horrible distribution, just like DCUC.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

What it really means is, 'Buy a subscription so you don't miss out.'
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    A lot of fans already have those characters from the first release, so there really isn't a reason to re-issue so many characters yet. Maybe they are waiting until there is more of a demand for certain characters before they make more. Did we really need Grizzlor released again so soon?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I agree - I don't think that its a coincidence that this has come up just prior to SDCC and the 2012 sub going on sale....

This is what it boils down to:

-figures are being reissued too soon after their initial release

-figures are being reissued in months when there are multiple other products on sale. For example, what sense was there in having two reissues this month when none have been scheduled in months when just one figure was on sale?

-figures, in some cases, have recently appeared, or concurrently appear, or will soon appear in DC/MOTUC two-packs at the time of a reissue

-Mattel has done nothing to advertise outside its comfort zone... At this point, even though it would cost a lot of money, a commercial on Adult Swim, just advertising Mattycollector.com would go a long way. This has nothing to do with "bulk-rap" logistics or the MOTUC budget specifically. This is about Mattel, the company, investing in a component of itself that needs nurturing. Do they expect this online-sales/Internet fad to go away?
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Did we really need Grizzlor released again so soon?
    I agree. Grizzlor was not needed again so soon. What about characters like Randor, Teela, Tri-klops, Webstor...... they haven't seen a release since 2009. Especially Randor, with the Queen coming out in August. I'd bet there are a significant number of people who have started buying the line since he was released. I'd like a complete royal family, but I came along in February 2010, and missed Randor. Adore was reissued and I got her, but no Randor.

I haven't bought toys at retail since 1996, so I'll take everyone's word that Mattel doesn't know how to properly ship figures - killing the 200x and recently Retro Action Heroes with poor shipment selections. And even online, it doesn't seem that their choices in reissue release schedule makes any sense.

Mattel can approximate the number of current collectors who don't have a particular figure, and thus, might want a reissue. All you need are the average number of figures sold today less the number of that figure sold back then. I'm sure their cost accounting department knows this and Mattel decided there isn't enough money in it for them. They can't be bothered to just "turn on the switch" for, I don't know, $50k (that's a total guess at what they'd sell).

I'm not mad, just a little frustrated that this line is so hard to collect, especially on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by guy-dude View Post
    That's my guess. New releases will still be available first on Mattycollector, but not the re-issues... Those will be released later, most likely in different packaging, at retail stores across the nation.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    You're absolutely right, this kind of getting fans to buy subs stinks...

Heroic Warrior
    Reissues are good for those who missed out, but let's balance things out here.

Production numbers are probably up. Mattel must have a better idea of demand by now, and things are not selling out in the mad rush that some of us remember for certain figures during the last two years.

Not only that, but we're also seeing more characters each year, so production is naturally focusing on that. It is no longer one a month!

Common sense says that a character who doesn't sell all that well won't get a second production run. There's no point. And if that makes Mattel put more effort into popular characters, instead of gimmicks and cartoony stuff like Mo-Larr and Carnivus, then that is surely a good thing.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk