Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: green lantern-the animated series

I liked it.

I didn't think the animation was exceptional(it wasn't horrific, but considering a big studio was behind, I wish it was better) or love the idea of the GLs flying around in a sentient ship, but otherwise I thought it was well done. I even became sad at the plight of the one GL.

As for whether this was like Hal or not(similar to how some people felt the movie Hal's ring creations were closer to Kyle's), he's a character who is not only over 50 years old, he's not real. Much like Kyle's ring creations were more elaborate due to his writers/artists(if Hal was created in the 90's, I'm sure his would have been as well), Hal's personality has changed/evolved over the years much like Superman & Batman. It's not like Hal was acting like Guy(at least the one from the 80's JLI) or Sinestro. I don't find Kyle that cocky or impulsive to begin with.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I felt pretty neutral about it. I'll watch a few more and see how it develops...
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

I really do NOT like the animation style they've used for it. I wish they had kept it like the direct to DVD moives or at least similar to JLU. Heck I'd even take The Batman's animation style over this

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLiger View Post
    I really do NOT like the animation style they've used for it. I wish they had kept it like the direct to DVD moives or at least similar to JLU. Heck I'd even take The Batman's animation style over this
    I believe it's just a full on CGI version of the same style as JLU since Bruce Timm did JLU and is doing Green Lantern.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

When does the actual series start? I thought it would have been this Friday (yesterday) but there's nothing on my DVR...normally I'd think my DVR just screwed up, but the fact that no one's posted about it makes me think there wasn't an episode.....help
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

It's too bad this couldn't be traditionally animated with CGI effects.

So some people didn't like the Red Lanterns or Razor? I liked them probably the best. The story worked very well for me. I am not all that concerned about Hal, honestly I think Kyle was the most fun any GL was who wasn't Guy anyway. Using Hal or even John just seems like obligation to me. The cooler guys keep getting guest star spots and their personalities pirated to make Hal less boring. Oh well, it's not like I care as much as others. But I liked the what I saw of the Red Lanterns in the show and how they might be used. I hope we won't spend too much time away from the main Corps though.

Otherwise I agree with those not liking how the animation looks. I think trying to copy the Timm style the way they have just looks cheap, like the show was rendered 10 years ago. It'll probably improve with time if it lasts long enough. I wish the GL movie had been better and made tons more money so that this excursion away from Batman was more of a sure thing.
    Last edited by gbagok; November 19, 2011 at 09:13am.

Actual series starts in 2012.

I think the problem some have with the Red Lanterns is it's different from the comic, not just in their actions but how they are introduced. It also sounds like they have come before the Sinestro Corps.

Razor to me comes off as an 'evil Kitty Pryde."

Bruce Timm is executive producer of the show. It personally took me a while to warm up to his style during Batman the Animated Series, in fact it was almost a year before I really started watching the show.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    It's too bad this couldn't be traditionally animated with CGI effects.
    I don't know, given how JLU turned out that would not be a win, the cgi effects were horrid
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Actual series starts in 2012.

I think the problem some have with the Red Lanterns is it's different from the comic, not just in their actions but how they are introduced. It also sounds like they have come before the Sinestro Corps.

Razor to me comes off as an 'evil Kitty Pryde."

Bruce Timm is executive producer of the show. It personally took me a while to warm up to his style during Batman the Animated Series, in fact it was almost a year before I really started watching the show.
    I'm not a Marvel guy, so I don't know anything about Kitty Pryde being like Razor. I don't know where they're going with him, but they've got my attention. RE the Red Lanterns being different, I kind of like this better than what I've seen in the comics. Their maybe coming before the Sinestro Corps doesn't bother me either as they've messed with the order of things a lot on many shows now. Don't get me started on the Jason Todd/Tim Drake thing that happened in the DCAU! I'd have loved a series made out of the GL: Emerald Knights movie though. The style(s) and the voices were top notch for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I don't know, given how JLU turned out that would not be a win, the cgi effects were horrid
    I never minded them, but that show is 6 years old now. I get wanting to push boundaries at least. I don't think it's quite paid off yet, but time could be good to us. If the show is good, I don't think the shortcomings of the style or animation will really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I'm not a Marvel guy, so I don't know anything about Kitty Pryde being like Razor. I don't know where they're going with him, but they've got my attention.
    Kitty Pryde was a 13 year old mutant introduced around the same time to the X-men as Wolverine. Kitty Pryde is used kind of like the companions from Doctor Who, the character through whom we are introduced to aspects of the story. Razor seems to be the character who we will learn about the Red Lanterns through.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Kitty Pryde was a 13 year old mutant introduced around the same time to the X-men as Wolverine. Kitty Pryde is used kind of like the companions from Doctor Who, the character through whom we are introduced to aspects of the story. Razor seems to be the character who we will learn about the Red Lanterns through.
    Hmm. Well, that doesn't seem quite the same since we're not seeing the heroes through him as we saw Wolverine or Dr. Who through their companions. Instead he's a source of exposition and back story on the villains with a subplot of his own potential redemption (or will he get his angry man ring back?). I'm intrigued by that potential, particularly since he must have quite a bit of his own rage to have received a ring as just a youth, but the character may not hang around very long either.

Am I the only one watching this show? I'm really enjoying it. Nothing ground breaking so far, but it's a solidly entertaining show imo. I'm really loving AI/Aya & her new body.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I like it but I wish there was more of the Lantern Corp, I just feel I have seen far too much of Hal over the last 2 years or so.

But I like the show
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

I like it but I wish there was more of the Lantern Corp, I just feel I have seen far too much of Hal over the last 2 years or so.

But I like the show
    I just don't want this show stuck entirely in space. Hell, Hal broke his date with Carol & who knows how long ago that was. I wouldn't mind seeing more of the Corp(like Guy, Salaak, & Ch'p) or some other non-GL characters. Supposedly we're going to be seeing more of the DCU, but I don't know when.

JOIN THE GROUP...

It's been nice and fun, but I do wish they weren't so tied into the forbidden zone. The last episode mentions Green Lantern of this planet, not sector which was interesting.

When they first had the pilot last year I really didn't think much of it based on the commercials. Then I finally sat down and watched it. I really enjoyed it. So far I like what I have seen. I really liked the newest episode with Will Friedle as the Queen's brother. It is Bruce Timm art in 3 dimensions but it also reminds me a little bit of the Incredibles.

I really like the DC Nation block of cartoons so far. The shorts are great.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

The problems I have with this series is that Hal is being portrayed more like Kyle than Hal and the Red Lanterns should be the Sinestro Corps.

I'm going to give it a few more weeks before I decide whether I'm going to drop it.

I like that they're using Red Lanterns as a given villainous set without doing Sinestro Corps first. I like Razer, and he's better tied to a power stemming from his rage than from fear. I don't know about Ayah being a love interest, there's something odd about that since she's a computer (nothing new for comics though). The arc I'm expecting is he'll lose his power as he loses his rage, but he'll become a different lantern--probably green, but who knows--then when Ayah dies somehow he'll revert to a red. I love it though, I don't mind predictability when I'm enjoying it. I'm even getting used to the animation, even though I think it looks a little too plastic. I wonder if we'll get back to Oa and Earth, or if Carol will turn up in the forbidden zone as Star Sapphire and angry that Hal left.

BTW, I feel as though any time Hal is at all enjoyable to watch, people say he's acting like more Kyle or Guy. I don't agree myself, but I like both those characters and find Hal to be kind of bland. The impression I get is that either writers don't know how to make Hal interesting (I wouldn't either), or Hal is so vanilla he's kind of just cream and ice and any flavoring makes him into someone else. What do people think Hal should be like and not be a bore (or older)?

I don't really know how to make Hal interesting. Its been a problem for a long time, he just seems so wooden and bland.

I think its a shame that whenever GL is mentioned its always Hal, part of what made JL the animated show so fantastic was it focused on another one. I know why they focus on Hal but I think this show could have been a good thing to use Kyle for or even broach the idea there are 4 Earth Lanterns and give us a real sense of a Corp (alternate episodes with each Lantern).

While I don't hate him & I know he was the first Green Lantern that a lot of people met, for me, Kyle was always a Peter Parker clone. I'll take Hal or Guy over him. As for Hal being boring, I think it stems more from the era he was created in than the character itself. Most of the superheroes from the late 50's/early 60's, before Stan Lee gave them all personal problems, were Ward Cleaver with powers. By the time DC started giving the characters more diverse personalities, Hal was either saddled with being the straight man to Green Arrow or Guy Gardner. As for the current version of Hal, I feel he's less Kyle or Guy and more like a hornier version of Top Gun's Maverick.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I think this show could have been a good thing to ... give us a real sense of a Corp (alternate episodes with each Lantern).
    this is how i feel about a GL cartoon. i completely understand why it's got such a limit cast right now, as modeling and rigging even one character takes a lot of time. i hope that they eventually pull a JLU and really expand the number of lanterns featured. i think an anthology show would suit GL wonderfully. if the creators really wanted to keep it serialized, they could make it like the last season of teen titans. feature a different GL in a more or less stand alone episode that ties to ongoing, season-long plot.

I think what they did with Emerald Knights, and similar to what they did with Batman Brave and the Bold would work great with Green Lantern. Have a story dealing with one of the Earth Green Lanterns every other episode or so, but in between have the alien ones. Every once in awhile have a 2-3 part story, like dealing with the the creation of the other Lantern Corps.

Which in a way they are doing that, just with Hal and crew more as an over all story. The bad thing is they are giving the main cast more screen time, instead of it letting it be the b plot, that is the over arching story arc.

I loved today's episode. Mogo!!!

Also, it was a Clancy Brown double feature. He was Zartok in Green Lantern & Faraday in Young Justice.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    I saw the commercial for it forgot to set the DVR
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/