Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Offical MOTUC Flutterina Thread

I had some time to think about Flutterina and the way she has been designed. She comes with two reissued accessories a new outfit and two wings as her personal feature.

So let me compare her to letīs say Draego Man:

New head (both), new outfit (both), new wings(both), new sword (Draego Man)

Additional: reused tail (Draego man), reused buck parts(both), reused weapons (Flutterina), new whip, sword and shield in weapons pack(Draego Man)

or Mantenna:

new head (both), new outfit (both), new wings (Flutterina), unique crotch piece (Mantenna) extra set of eyes (Mantenna) new arms (Mantenna) new legs-two pair (Mantenna) new shoulders (Mantenna)

Additinal: reused weapon(s) (both), reused buck parts (Flutterina)

Maybe i shouldīt compare a POP character to the most amazing looking figures from the line…

Okay letīs go more mediocre:

Flutterina vs Clamp Champ:

New Head (both) new outfit (both) new wings (Flutterina) new weapons (Clamp Champ)

Additional: reused weapons (Flutterina) reused buck parts(both)

So what ever i do i can only count those wings as her truly unique feature as new heads and outfits areīt that special since even those charters who shared outfits or heads back in the vintage line get new outfits and heads these days.

I know i shouldīt compare and be happy with what we got but when i look at amazing detailed figures like Mantenna, Draego Man or even Dekker i wonder why not every figure no matter what faction he or she comes from gets the same treatment?

AND if i would compare Flutterina to Intergalatic Skeletor….no i wonīt go there
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraBoyX View Post
    I do like the figure but her wings are troublesome to me... They are waaaaaaay to simple for my tastes.

She looks like she has cardboard wings (like a kids Halloween costume):

... I mean look at Flutterina's over simplified wings next to the new Intergalactic Skeletor head then next to Dreago Man's wings:

http://s20.postimg.org/sj9ugzv8t/imagejpeg_e2.jpg http://s20.postimg.org/h876smodp/imagejpeg_0i.jpg http://s20.postimg.org/gwpqfv7xp/index.jpg http://s20.postimg.org/j2k1adbe5/Draego_Man_2.jpg

Perhaps if they were thinner it would look better (but I am sure it may be a safety issue to make them thinner). The 3 dimension/raised levels on the wings COULD be the culprit as real butterfly wings would be flat and textured. Maybe if they were translucent white with glittery colors it might look better but like Nepthu the over simplification does not fit the flow of the classics line and detracts from her actual figure sculpt.

Just my two cents. I will buy her either way.
    yes, once again POP gets the short end of the stick. look at how detailed & awesome NA Skeletor is but when it comes to POP they seem to do the bare minimum if not make it worse.

vintage flutterina could turn her hair, the motuc can barely look to the side

Presentation1 by ThePowerSword, on Flickr

they could have improved these wings but they choose not to

20131109z 009 by ThePowerSword, on Flickr
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

I love the new wings! Flat wings would be much to boring and doesnt fit to the MotUC I think.
    I like what the 4 Horsemen done with her wings, very beautiful

Heroic Warrior
    I think that the vintage-style wings are horrible. It's obvious that that design was for making something cheap. MOTUC version should be cooler, more detailed and probably translucent. An exact replica is a non-sense.

My main priority for my MoTuC collection is a complete PoP / Evil Horde collection, so I will own them all despite the flaws inherent to the figures.
    While each faction and series of release has had it's share of flaws regardless of gender or faction affiliation, the PoP line does seem to be afflicted with more than it's fair share. Both Glimmer and Scorpia, as bad as I want them, could have been spared and done better. And now we have Flutterina. If the entire figure turns out like the paint master, I'll still buy it. But I sincerely hope they make the wings look a tad more delicate and making them translucent would help do that, regardless of the thickness.
    "My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"
    Marquis de Sade
    "The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves."
    George Washington
    My B/S/T list
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...and-trade-list

Keep in mind, the wings are just the prototype sculpt, development may prefer flat w/ stickers. Time will tell.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesoullove View Post
    I love the new wings! Flat wings would be much to boring and doesnt fit to the MotUC I think.
    Compare them to Buzz Off, where the details actually look like insect wings with some tech thrown in. These are totally off from any wings they've done in the line. All the wings thus far have a definite organic look and feel, with veins and structure and striations to make them look like something that grew out of the character's back. These really look like a couple pieces of cardboard with some shapes glued on. It's not really detail in the way we've seen before, and it looks extremely cheesy. I'm usually on board with the choices the Fab Four make in this line, but this is one of the very rare occasions where I feel they fell short.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Compare them to Buzz Off, where the details actually look like insect wings with some tech thrown in. These are totally off from any wings they've done in the line. All the wings thus far have a definite organic look and feel, with veins and structure and striations to make them look like something that grew out of the character's back. These really look like a couple pieces of cardboard with some shapes glued on. It's not really detail in the way we've seen before, and it looks extremely cheesy. I'm usually on board with the choices the Fab Four make in this line, but this is one of the very rare occasions where I feel they fell short.
    This really illustrates why I'm so disappointed with these. The figure itself looks so good, but the wings look like they could belong to a fisher price toy. I was really expecting the 4H to remain true to the original colors and designs of the wings, but really elevate them with more realism.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    This really illustrates why I'm so disappointed with these. The figure itself looks so good, but the wings look like they could belong to a fisher price toy. I was really expecting the 4H to remain true to the original colors and designs of the wings, but really elevate them with more realism.
    Exactly. I guess in a way the Fab Four are a victim of their own talents here; we've come to expect the extraordinary from them, and then when we get something less than that, it's a shock. Of course, we don't know if there were restrictions on what should be done from Mattel, but they usually leave this sort of aesthetic choice to the Horsemen.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    exactly! they could have gone in so many different directions, instead they went in a way that makes the wings look like a 2nd grade art project made with construction paper.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I had some time to think about Flutterina and the way she has been designed. She comes with two reissued accessories a new outfit and two wings as her personal feature.

So let me compare her to letīs say Draego Man:

New head (both), new outfit (both), new wings(both), new sword (Draego Man)

Additional: reused tail (Draego man), reused buck parts(both), reused weapons (Flutterina), new whip, sword and shield in weapons pack(Draego Man)

or Mantenna:

new head (both), new outfit (both), new wings (Flutterina), unique crotch piece (Mantenna) extra set of eyes (Mantenna) new arms (Mantenna) new legs-two pair (Mantenna) new shoulders (Mantenna)

Additinal: reused weapon(s) (both), reused buck parts (Flutterina)

Maybe i shouldīt compare a POP character to the most amazing looking figures from the line…

Okay letīs go more mediocre:

Flutterina vs Clamp Champ:

New Head (both) new outfit (both) new wings (Flutterina) new weapons (Clamp Champ)

Additional: reused weapons (Flutterina) reused buck parts(both)

So what ever i do i can only count those wings as her truly unique feature as new heads and outfits areīt that special since even those charters who shared outfits or heads back in the vintage line get new outfits and heads these days.

I know i shouldīt compare and be happy with what we got but when i look at amazing detailed figures like Mantenna, Draego Man or even Dekker i wonder why not every figure no matter what faction he or she comes from gets the same treatment?

AND if i would compare Flutterina to Intergalatic Skeletor….no i wonīt go there
    Mantenna and figures like him have always had a very unique sculp where as Clamp Champ and Flutterina etc have always been basic bodied figures just with different armor or wings attached. That's why Flutterina hasn't got anywhere near the sort of new detaila nd sculpting Mantenna has. She doesn't need it. Though I do think the wings should have been made to look more realistic. More detail would have helped. As it is they just look like she has big plastic wings strapped to her back.

- - - Updated - - -

On the original toy, I took the white outline as being something necessary to hold the wings together due to poor design, not because they were supposed to have a big white outline around them. The wings to me look like they are supposed to be three separate segments. This would look far more realistic and less cheap and plasticy in my opinion.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I agree with this.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I actually quite like the wings as they are. Now, if the white part wound up as a more gossamer looking design, that would totally rock too!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Court Magician
    I'm given to understand that ToyGuru stated on Mattel's forums that the deco on Flutterina's wings was final. If that truly is the case, would one of the many talented artists here do a mock up of what a more realistic, organic looking wing that fits in better with the other winged characters in the line might look like?

I have to agree with those who say the wings could look more natural/organic. I realize they never did in the comics or show...but maybe going with a transparent plastic would have been the best way here. It would have given her a more appealing "fairy" quality.

But then, I'm not a fan of hers, so I guess my suggestions don't really matter - as long as the die-hards are happy, I'm happy

Heroic Warrior
    Re: Flutterina's Wings

I can understand all the comments, but the wings are mostly true to the toy design which itself is more detailed or decorative than both the Filmation design and the style guide design. IF the 4H had to be true to one of those three designs, then I'm glad they went with the toy design.

That typed, the addition of detail by "raising" different blocks of colour, as opposed to sculpting or engraving detail into the wings was an ... interesting choice. And one that I'm not sure worked well as it definitely increases the "thickness" of the wings.

I wouldn't mind if all the "white" edges were rendered as translucent white in the final figure (apart from any possible breakage issues), but I'm not too keen on the entire wings being translucent (if that was even possible given the multiple colours).

But, for me, the wings are acceptable because Flutterina isn't a "butterfly woman". Instead, she's an starving slave who sacrificed her life to save She-Ra and then she was transformed into a magical creature by Light Hope. So, Flutterina's wings don't need to look natural or organic because she is purely a creation of powerful magic. In a way it almost makes sense for Flutterina's wings to look artificial or unnatural, because they are.

And even if Light Hope based Flutterina's transformation on real butterflies, then it's possible that on Etheria all butterflies have similar wings.

All that typed, I sincerely hope that Sweet Bee does not end up with plain pink or plain gold wings. Although both the Filmation design and the toy design feature plain wings with absolutely no details, I hope that the 4H seek a LOT of inspiration from the original style guide design and give Sweet Bee some awesome sculpted detail in her wings similar to Buzz-Off.

I like the new wings too! All the wings so far have been 3D/had sculpted detail. I think that looks like the way I would think a Butterfly would look in 3D.

Not being able to move the head stinks but I think that is better than giving her shorter hair that would allow for movement. And I hate rooted hair. I was one of the ones who wanted Grizzlor to have sculpted fur.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

As my most wanted figure I can say I'm 100% happy with her wings. They look like the toy design and I'm also happy they went with a more 3D look to them. If they had done them flat some would have moaned they were flat and boring so they couldn't win either way really.

I think she looks stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilation View Post
    As my most wanted figure I can say I'm 100% happy with her wings. They look like the toy design and I'm also happy they went with a more 3D look to them. If they had done them flat some would have moaned they were flat and boring so they couldn't win either way really.

I think she looks stunning.
    Yes! I think exactly the same! She is my most wanted POP and for me she is perfect!!!

Yes! I think exactly the same! She is my most wanted POP and for me she is perfect!!!
    Excellent Roll on August!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Mantenna and figures like him have always had a very unique sculp where as Clamp Champ and Flutterina etc have always been basic bodied figures just with different armor or wings attached. That's why Flutterina hasn't got anywhere near the sort of new detaila nd sculpting Mantenna has. She doesn't need it. Though I do think the wings should have been made to look more realistic. More detail would have helped. As it is they just look like she has big plastic wings strapped to her back.

- - - Updated - - -

On the original toy, I took the white outline as being something necessary to hold the wings together due to poor design, not because they were supposed to have a big white outline around them. The wings to me look like they are supposed to be three separate segments. This would look far more realistic and less cheap and plasticy in my opinion.
    As i said, itīs not wise to compare her to one of the most detailed and new interpreted figure of the whole line and thatīs what Mantenna is. He looks cool but nothing like his vintage figure.
    Again since itīs Mantenna and the FOUR HORSEMEN improved him everyone is fine with him but they really changed a lot for him why not do a little bit of that with all the figures, thatīs my main point.

The wings are cute and the white outline was more of shiny glittery white on her original figure and as much as i like glitter and sparkle i think for MOTUC that would be to much. i also would have hoped of a more realistic butterfly&fairy kind of look for them with veins and stuff like that… oh well.

Iīm totally okay with her and happy she looks as stunning as she does.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

The wings do look a little odd. They remind me of the foam stick and create art craft kits that they sell in stores. However, she is so beautiful that it doesn't matter to me. Do you guys think that they should go this route for Peekablue's and Sweet Bee's wings?

Heroic Warrior
    ^^^^

No. I don't think they should utilise a similar approach for Peekablue and Sweet Bee.

While I would like to see Peekablue's tail/fan/feathers based predominantly on the toy design (which is more detailed and interesting than the Filmation design), I don't like the "layered cake" approach to highlighting the sculpted details and varied colours. I would prefer that the detail is simply sculpted/engraved into the tails.

For Sweet Bee, I really, Really, REALLY hope that the wings are based on the style guide design as that is the one which is the most detailed and the most visually interesting. It also appropriately reflects Sweet Bee's nature as an alien bee soldier/scout. It works for Buzz-Off, so something similar should also work for Sweet Bee.

If Sweet Bee ended up with plain pink wings with little or no sculpted detail like the Filmation design and one-side of the toy design, then I would be extremely disappointed (and tempted to display her without any wings at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
    I like the new wings too! All the wings so far have been 3D/had sculpted detail. I think that looks like the way I would think a Butterfly would look in 3D.

Not being able to move the head stinks but I think that is better than giving her shorter hair that would allow for movement. And I hate rooted hair. I was one of the ones who wanted Grizzlor to have sculpted fur.
    I'm not sure anyone wants FLAT wings, just not big bulky stacked wings where the details build UP. If they wanted to add dimension, then it seems that cutting into the wing might have been a better option?

I expected the same basic color and design, but I also expected more realistic detail like veining and the subtle texture that butterfly wings have. I was just expecting the 4H to kick it up a notch.

I'm so worried about how her face will turn out. The prototypes always have such fine, soft features for the females, but from prototype to final mold, a lot of it gets dulled.

I hope they can keep her beautiful "Megan Fox" face somewhat intact. It's a shame what happened to Frosta, Glimmer, and Scorpia's faces in the translation. Of course paint apps could have a lot to do with it as well.

Not that they look horrible, but they just lost that beauty somewhere in the translation.