Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mattel and Hasbro in Talks to Merge? And what could this mean for He-Man?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Mattel and Hasbro in Talks to Merge? And what could this mean for He-Man?

From ToyArk:

Hasbro and Mattel may be looking to shake up to toy world in a massive way! According to a report on Bloomberg Business, sources have said that the top two toy makers have held talks regarding a potential merger! According to the report, Hasbro approached Mattel in late 2015 with the idea of merging their two companies together. Snippets from Bloomberg:

Hasbro Inc. and Mattel Inc. have held talks about merging two of the world’s biggest toymakers, according to people familiar with the matter, in a deal that would bring together the owner of the My Little Pony and Furby brands with Barbie and Hot Wheels.

This is not the first time a combination has been talked about. Two decades ago — almost to the day — Mattel withdrew a $5.2 billion offer for Hasbro, citing an “intolerable climate” created by its competitor’s use of the media and politicians to fight the proposed takeover. Back then, Hasbro resisted the deal in what Mattel described as a “scorched earth” campaign to stop it.

A merger might not face that many antitrust hurdles because the U.S. toy industry is very fragmented, according to Jaime Katz, an analyst at Morningstar Inc. If combined, the companies would have probably about one quarter of the market in the U.S., she said.
    Since then, according to the report, the two companies have held multiple meetings. The sources claim that these talks may ultimately lead nowhere, but nothing has been confirmed one way or the other. Details are extremely scarce at this time.

You can read the full article Here and even watch a video!.

Discuss!!

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

What the?!? Hasbro does have the ankle pivot down, so...
    Hey Super 7, Snake Mountain rocks! Let's Kickstart it!

Heroic Warrior
    Assuming a deal goes through and is approved by the FTC.....short term, no changes. It would open the door for crossovers with Hasbro's boys toys. Long term if MOTU popularity doesn't pick up, it could fall further down the totem pole for a combined company's boy toy products. I don't see many benefits other than crossover potential.

Heroic Warrior
    I couldn't LIVE in a world where these two ancient super-enemies were suddenly all buddy-buddy. To keep it in terms that I can understand, it would be like He-Man and Skeletor going into business together!

I'm not saying which company is He-Man and which one is Skeletor, but You get what I'm saying...

PLUS!!: There is that VERY recent war wound to Mattel at the hands of Hasbro, concerning the acquisition of the "Disney Princess" license. I'm sure that Matty would be just fi-i-ine with allying themselves with the usurper of their decades-long cash cow...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Going from our recent experiences with Matty and all of their managerial problems that SLC cited, I think "new leadership is needed".

I'm all for it. Hell, a He-Man movie might come out faster now. Perhaps even a new cartoon or a return to retail.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

I'm good with it. Only lines I collect are MOTUC and 6 in Black series so they can split my money or take it all

I'm all for this--I think Hasbro overall is better at keeping their properties in the public eye better (see: Transformers)
    and could maybe implement that with Motu

He-Man styled GI Joe figures, vice versa.

The best part of it (for me) is Mattel makes WWE now, Hasbro made AWESOME WWF figures in the late 1980's, early 1990's. They could continue the WWF/WWE Hasbro collection!

I do not know American laws, but at least Europe I would not see that being possible as to my understanding they would have too big market coverage.

Less competition is never good no matter the product.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

There's no telling what would happen with Mattbro or Hastell.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    9 Biggest toymakers
    http://www.therichest.com/business/c...nies/?view=all

Lego has surpassed Mattel to become the #1 toymaker. I'm sure they would make the case to the FTC that they are facing competition from other entertainment markets and cite shrinking revenue.

A merger of two giants is usually a bad thing for consumers. Case in point. Gaming publisher/developers Squaresoft merging with Enix to create Square-Enix. The resulting company churns out mostly hot dog poo since the merger.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Cammor View Post

The best part of it (for me) is Mattel makes WWE now, Hasbro made AWESOME WWF figures in the late 1980's, early 1990's. They could continue the WWF/WWE Hasbro collection!
    I would love Joe styled he man figures. But back in 08 not 16.. they would never fit in.. but gi Joe by far has the best design for articulation. Except for the figures that got that new ankle joint. Wasn't feeling them at all. The 25th design is superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesmai View Post
    9 Biggest toymakers
    http://www.therichest.com/business/c...nies/?view=all

Lego has surpassed Mattel to become the #1 toymaker. I'm sure they would make the case to the FTC that they are facing competition from other entertainment markets and cite shrinking revenue.
    But Lego is not US company? At least here there is within country competition rules too.

I do not know, next Disney buys DC and I guess they would have all the superheroes to themselves.

Then Disney can buy Mattel+Hasbro... and uhm.

Heroic Warrior
    I hope they don't merge. It's a ridiculous thought. Only bad will come out for both companies. And motuc is at stake.

I love Masters of the Universe in spite of Mattel, not because of Mattel. I do not like how they have handled the property or any other property. I don't want Mattel anywhere near Transformers, Star Wars, and GI*JOE. I love those properties too much and I cringe at the thought of how Mattel influence would hurt those properties.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

They'd probably cut some of the fat. It could hurt niche lines like MOTUC. I don't think it would hurt anything in regards to a MOTU movie and a movie toyline.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I don't think this will be good for Masters of the Universe. Hasbro wouldn't have a reason to put it on a pedestal. They have the Star Wars license. And Marvel. They've got Transformers. And G.I.JOE.

Masters of the Universe is Mattel's 80's property that could at least get the Mattel machine behind it again. It would be in the back of a long line with Hasbro.

I also fear about the Four Horsemen being dropped in preference for Hasbro sculptors. Let's face it, without the Four Horsemen and their passion for MOTU, He-Man would be dead and buried.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Man View Post
    I couldn't LIVE in a world where these two ancient super-enemies were suddenly all buddy-buddy. To keep it in terms that I can understand, it would be like He-Man and Skeletor going into business together!
    When He-Man and Skeletor have worked together, the world has been saved. Them working together would be a good thing if Skeletor could accept it. ;P
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    A merger of two giants is usually a bad thing for consumers. Case in point. Gaming publisher/developers Squaresoft merging with Enix to create Square-Enix. The resulting company churns out mostly hot dog poo since the merger.
    It depends on who's actually buying who. Square Enix lost out, at least in the West, because Enix was the one on top, and they never really appealed to the West, so when they got a hand on Square's properties, they inadvertently sabotaged a lot of their international appeal.

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I don't always like it when big companies merge, but while I like some Mattel properties, Hasbro seems to have a lot better understanding of the modern day. If Hasbro ends up on top, I think that will be better in the long run for the Mattel properties we like, not to mention open the doors for cool crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cammor View Post

There is no way I WOULDN'T BUY a WWF/E Hasbro Classic sub. Or Classic WWF GIANTS?!!!? OMG.

I can only see bad things for MOTUC. And considering that's my focus, I wouldn't be cool with it. You can wave Collectors' Choice goodbye and we'll probably never see the likes of Dylamug or Lodar in the line.
    Like Firefly said, MOTU the movie would probably be ok and we'd end up with a super crappy, non-articulated 3 3/4" line. Yay.
    MASS REJECTION
    www.facebook.com/massrejection

Join my Official REJEKTOR (created by Jim 'BUBBLOR' Johnston) Facebook page! www.facebook.com/Rejektor

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Jokubas View Post
    When He-Man and Skeletor have worked together, the world has been saved. Them working together would be a good thing if Skeletor could accept it. ;p
    All true. But exactly how long has anything like that lasted? These two toy-making super-powers have been at each other's throats for longer than most of us have been alive! This merger would last just long enough for one company (not implying WHO) to seize the opportunity to harvest and sell the organs of the other company (again, no names here). It just wouldn't be pretty in the long run, is what I'm saying. :^)
    Last edited by Snake_Man; February 4, 2016 at 06:43pm.

Heroic Warrior
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...erger-ik8jsx1q

Should a deal succeed this time around, it would bring together Mattel’s strength in the girls category and Hasbro’s dominance over the boys’ toy aisle, while making the combined company a stronger competitor to Denmark’s Lego, which has been growing faster than either of its U.S. rivals.

A merger might not face disqualifying antitrust hurdles because the U.S. toy industry is very fragmented, according to Jaime Katz, an analyst at Morningstar Inc. If combined, the companies would have probably about one-quarter of the market in the U.S., she said.

Other experts said the antitrust review would probably hinge on how broadly officials define the market. A review that looks more narrowly at the companies’ overlaps in specific toy categories could probably win approval contingent on the sale of some product lines, said Jonathan Kanter, an antitrust lawyer at Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP in Washington.

The merger would have a tougher time winning approval if enforcers take a broader view and see the combination as uniting two of the country’s biggest toymakers, leaving just Lego to keep prices in check, Kanter said.

Another hurdle to consider would be merging cultures and headquarters on opposite U.S. coasts, Katz said.

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    Less competition is never good no matter the product.
    Agreed. And anything on Mattycollector could easily be collateral damage. MOTU as a brand would likely get lost in the mix.
    Harken the coming of Tuskador!!
    New List of Most wanted figures: Dylamug, Quakke, Lizzor, King Miro, Granita, Sagitar, Hawke, Artilla, Hoove, Kayo, ABC Giants