Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How were the Power-Con Exclusives Chosen?

How were the Power-Con Exclusives Chosen?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but just how is it that Granamyr, Red Beast Man, and Kamo Kahn came to be selected as exclusives for Power-Con 2016?

Were they specifically chosen by Val and the .org, and then courted at Mattel...or were exclusives of any sort sought out, and these are what Mattel came back with?

Just asking because Val has alluded to the desire for future Power-Con exclusives, and we have collectively come up with a wish list of possibilities, so I'm naturally curious as to what happens next.

Would a fan poll consisting of a battle royale between pre-selected repaint possibility finalists be a possibility for the selection of some future Power-Con variants? I say "some" because Val is making it happen, and if he wants to push something of his personal choosing through in addition to the fan vote, why the heck not, right?
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Great question! Regardless of who picked them, I am so thrilled with how they came out. The paint jobs in particular were excellent. I do wish one of the three could have been a POP item, seeing as it's a He-Man and She-Ra convention, but that's just a minor personal gripe. I've wanted Red Beast Man and Camo Khan for a long time, and Greenamyr looks so cool. While I definitely wanted the Filmation colors first, I think I may like the way the green one looks even better. Hope we get more exclusives (and therefore more Power-Con's) in the future!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2016!!!

OTHER PRIORITIES: Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian & Gleep Spyster Admiral Scurvey & Squall Starburst She-Ra Scratchin' Sound Catra Grot Caz & Drissi Crystal Moonbeam Crystal Sun Dancer Meliac NA Prince Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Karg Kowla Red Eye

I'm always open to a fan poll about it, but I feel we have a pretty good grasp on what to do for the exclusives if they happen again in 2017.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'm always open to a fan poll about it, but I feel we have a pretty good grasp on what to do for the exclusives if they happen again in 2017.
    Hmmm...
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I imagine the restrictions were pretty tight as far as the tooling went; anything outside a straight re-paint, something needing new tooling, would doubtless have been too expensive. And all three of those choices were things that had been brought up numerous times on the board as potential repaints for the line.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Cardback Ram Man confirmed!
    MASS REJECTION
    www.facebook.com/massrejection

Join my Official REJEKTOR (created by Jim 'BUBBLOR' Johnston) Facebook page! www.facebook.com/Rejektor

I suspect that posts like this are more looking for a story than they are criticizing.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Evil Master of Spaghetti Kobra Khan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    If Collector's Choice dies this year, Stridor is the next choice.
    Pasta la vista, baby!

NA in MOTUC, 11 more to go! Vizar, Nocturna, Kayo, Sagitar, Artilla, Spinwit, Lizorr, Quakke, Hoove, Butthead, Staghorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra Khan View Post
    Yeah - he would be the obvious "Green Granamyr" for a future year. But, I just don't see anyway Matty doesn't double dip on that tooling themselves. I guess we'll see.

And I think if Power Con doesn't go with a Snake Horde Trooper as one of their future repaints they are nuts. Snake Men sell. Horde Troopers sell. They couldn't make enough of that exclusive to meet demand I would think.

There are lots of other nice repaint choices too - but if it's a hot seller that's wanted the Snake Horde Trooper is a certified no-brainer.

Funny to think that Power-Con might soon be our ONLY source for Classics figures! :O
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Nope. His emoticon says it all. Tuvar and Baddrah are on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I suspect that posts like this are more looking for a story than they are criticizing.
    Neither. I love this year's exclusives and have no reason to criticize. I also don't think Val is so dumb that I could masterfully craft the post that would cause him to spill any beans.

I am truly interested in how the selection process went down.
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    I am truly interested in how the selection process went down.
    I would be interested in this as well. Very cool that it was able to happen! Nice way to boost the ranks with some figures that wouldn't have otherwise been.

Also, with the recent mention of Fuerza T, I am hopping there is at least a chance of a Destructor figure happening! Looks like a member of Clawfu'ls race went down the path of evil mage/warlock! How cool is that? In a way, it makes me think of Guldan from Warcraft.
    We need to let our new friends at Super 7 know that many of us are ALL IN COLLECTORS. We don't want products that are impossible for the average collector to have access to! If there is a He-man product, I want to buy it. Please no chases or con-only exclusives.

Make your voice heard! We DO want Snake Mountain!

I just hope the line isn't dead. That way we can still get our Power Con Crystal Horse exclusives instead of having to do Stridor cuz 2017 is dead.
    TOP WANTS:

SONGSTER, LODAR, EVIL ROBOT, SAGITAR, HAWKE, UNCLE MONTORK & DREE-ELLE, TUVAR, BADDHRA, KARG

They were chosen by casting lots, rolling bones, and reading entrails.

I'll buy 4!!!!
    Hey Super 7, Snake Mountain rocks! Let's Kickstart it!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake View Post
    I just hope the line isn't dead. That way we can still get our Power Con Crystal Horse exclusives instead of having to do Stridor cuz 2017 is dead.
    Here here! Crystal horses for 2017 Power-Con!!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2016!!!

OTHER PRIORITIES: Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian & Gleep Spyster Admiral Scurvey & Squall Starburst She-Ra Scratchin' Sound Catra Grot Caz & Drissi Crystal Moonbeam Crystal Sun Dancer Meliac NA Prince Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Karg Kowla Red Eye

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    Count me in! I would boom past the moon and dance across the sun if this happened!

I mean of course you do. If anyone would, it'd be the spearhead of the best MOTU Fanbase. I'd trust if/when there are more they'll be just right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra Khan View Post
    Here Here!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    Not my first (or second or third, etc) but I'd buy one.

Just gonna leave this here...incase you are looking for inspiration for next years selection. It would be great to get a POP figure in the mix and a lot of people were sad due to the grey white paint issues & the bush baby eyes. A Frosta with true white accents and smaller sexy eyes would be a great idea to think about!

Last edited by Angel-T; July 7, 2016 at 08:47pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Shouldn't we be hearing about next year soon? I ordered my non attendee figs on August 15 last year.

Heroic Warrior
    That would be cool.

Maybe a kit-bashed He-Ra (prototype She-Ra too using bits and pieces from She-Ra and BG Teela)? Or a combination of Tallstar and Jewelstar repainted as Granita (e.g. Jewelstar's head on Tallstar's body)? A kit-bashed "toy-design" Catra would also be good, although without the furry skirt and tail and furry gloves, it may not be worth it.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Blond Warrior Goddess Teela w/ tied back hair & loose, Mini Comics Trap Jaw & Triklops, Ram Man (cardback), Pink Sorceress, Pink Teela,
    Frosta (corrected) & vintage colored Castaspella...
    Please, tell us you have a few of them under your sleeves!!

Heroic Warrior
    Most likely whatever they would do wouldn't need any new tooling. So much as we'd like to see something like He-Man as Horde Trooper, or Slime Pit He-Man, it's doubtful.

Perhaps another Faker variant like they did in the motuc vs DC Universe line. Thunder Punch Faker, anyone?

Beyond that, they'd most likely stick to obscure variants from the various canon that aren't necessary to complete the line. The aforementioned Pink Teela or Sorceress would make sense. Stridor is too high profile. Spirit as well would be unlikely. A Pink version of Swift Wind would totally be a possible one.

As we've seen, they're willing to mix and match parts to get something out there for powercon. So we could potentially see someone that could easily be made that way with just a new paint job.
    CyberV... FOR VICTORY!

Currently on a quest to find the legendary and mythical collaborative comic artist

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I concur with this, and would also love the story, even if it's as simple as "Val just thought these would be neat." I have received mine recently from Ivan, who kindly brought them back with him from the Con, and I love them. Worth every penny.

Heroic Warrior
    I think the story has been revealed already. It was a combination of things that Val knew the fans asked for but that Mattel was almost certainly not going to make. I imagine Val had a list for Mattel and Mattel approved those exclusives it was never going to make. And that bears out what we got. Has Matty ever offered just straight-up repaints with no other changes? I don't think they have. The things that were only repaints were released through Toys-R-Us.

Scratch that, i guess Anti-Eternia He-man is a Straight up repaint with nothing extra. But he is a unique character, so maybe that's why Matty did him but not BA Faker.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.